Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,051 members, 7,838,653 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:15 AM

First Nigerian / African Mp In Poland Parliament - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / First Nigerian / African Mp In Poland Parliament (1147 Views)

What could pmb telling the mp's in this pix during his visit to France? / I Know What Apartheid Was And Israel Is Not Apartheid Says South African MP / Angry Mob Throw Ukrainian MP In The Trash - Cramjones (VIDEO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

First Nigerian / African Mp In Poland Parliament by dkings101(m): 12:36pm On Jan 27, 2011
John Abraham Godson, a Polish citizen born and raised in Nigeria, has been sworn in as the first black member of Poland's parliament.

Mr Godson had served as a councillor in the city of Lodz before taking up a parliamentary seat, vacated by a party colleague after local elections.

His entry into parliament has created a media stir in the mainly white country.

He came to Poland in the 1990s, opening an English-language school and working as a pastor in a Protestant church.

He has since married a Polish woman and the couple have four children.

Beaten up twice
A member of the centre-right Civic Platform party, he was appointed to the seat vacated by party colleague Hanna Zdanowskaafter after she became mayor of Lodz.

It is still quite rare to see black people even in the Polish capital Warsaw, Poland's most cosmopolitan city, the BBC's Adam Easton reports.

Racism is still a problem in Poland, where it is not uncommon for well-educated people to make racist jokes, our correspondent says.

Mr Godson was beaten up twice in the early 1990s but he says attitudes to black people in Poland are changing for the better, particularly since the country joined the EU six years ago.

Speaking earlier to Polish radio, Mr Godson said: "I am from Lodz, I will live here, I want to die here and I want to be buried here."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11990869

(1) (Reply)

5 Die As Buhari Flags Off North-west Campaign / Shekarau, 7 Outgoing Govs In N8tr Scam / Nigerian Islamist Kill 7 In Police Station, Bank Raid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.