Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,496 members, 7,847,039 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 09:55 AM

SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) (1892 Views)

Artis Leon Ivey Jr. Is Dead! (Coolio Dies At 59) / Blackface Releases A 2014 Chat Of 2face Admitting To Stealing His Song / Eedris Abdulkareem Blasts 2face: "You Are Ungrateful For Forgetting Blackface" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) by TMKsouth: 8:57pm On Jun 20, 2020
South Africa’s most successful comedy filmmaker is well known for his use of blackface and cultural stereotypes, which have now seen his work being removed from the local streaming service, Showmax - which is owned by Multichoice (DSTV).

As the Black Lives Matter movement spreads across the world, prompting some entertainment platforms to review their offerings to scrub any sign of racism, one of South Africa’s most successful yet divisive entertainers is feeling the pinch.

Netflix and the BBC have started scrubbing shows featuring blackface from their online platforms, and now local streaming service, Showmax, has joined the fray. And the first to go is Leon Schuster.

Netwerk24 reported on Friday evening that several of the 69-year-old comedian’s films have been removed from Showmax. Even Schuster’s most recent successes, Mama Jack, in which Schuster dressed up in blackface, and Mr Bone, in which he plays a white sangoma (traditional healer), have gotten the chop.

News24 reports that Richard Boorman, head of communication for Showmax, confirmed that several films have been removed from the platform as the streaming service reviews all content that could possibly be racially insensitive.

Benedict Maaga, MultiChoice’s senior manager for corporate communications, said Multichoice strongly condemns racism or prejudice of any kind and has in the past also removed content found to be problematic.

Schuster told Netwerk24 that he was “shocked” and “can’t believe that the content of his films does any harm”. He said it was “innocent” and just him “pranking people”.

However, in an interview with the Sunday Times in August 2018 the comedian was “unapologetic about playing on every racial stereotype in his films” but openly admitted that he “does have some regrets about having profited from blackface”.

https://citizen.co.za/lifestyle/your-life-entertainment-your-life/2305953/schusters-movies-get-pulled-from-showmax-over-racial-insensitivity/

Re: SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 9:02pm On Jun 20, 2020
Lol grin
Re: SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) by izzou(m): 9:03pm On Jun 20, 2020
Too bad

I feel for Leon already
Re: SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) by sexylassie2(f): 9:05pm On Jun 20, 2020
The liberals and leftist are all over the place.

The world will soon be a boring place to live in.

When will white face be illegal...atleast lets stop the hypocrisy.

We are creating a world where censorship and intolerance is the order of the day.

1 Like

Re: SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) by TMKsouth: 9:17pm On Jun 20, 2020
SA REACTIONS

1 Like

Re: SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) by JaceBlaze: 9:49pm On Jun 20, 2020
What?
Re: SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) by TMKsouth: 10:00pm On Jun 20, 2020
JaceBlaze:
What?

I take it you're a fan, Jace. Personally, although funny, there's always been something that didn't sit right with Schuster movies and the portrayal of Black people.

Anyway...

2 Likes

Re: SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) by WannaHowzit(m): 10:30pm On Jun 20, 2020
izzou:
Too bad

I feel for Leon already

I think he is rich enough already.
Re: SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) by izzou(m): 10:32pm On Jun 20, 2020
WannaHowzit:

I think he is rich enough already.

It's not really about the money
Re: SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) by heniford2: 10:46pm On Jun 20, 2020
lolcheesy
Re: SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) by WannaHowzit(m): 10:53pm On Jun 20, 2020
izzou:

It's not really about the money

People will find otha ways of viewing his material. Judging from the comments this is not a popular move in SA.

1 Like

Re: SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) by JaceBlaze: 11:52pm On Jun 20, 2020
TMKsouth:

I take it you're a fan, Jace. Personally, although funny, there's always been something that didn't sit right with Schuster movies and the portrayal of Black people.

Anyway...

I have always been a fan,and I understand if people feel some type of way about him painting his face black...well,there's an ugly history behind that.Personally,I was never in anyway offended by it,maybe I'm just too aloof when it comes to such things.

1 Like

Re: SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) by TMKsouth: 11:52pm On Jun 20, 2020
heniford2:
lolcheesy

Glad you're behaving for once.
Re: SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) by TMKsouth: 11:58pm On Jun 20, 2020
JaceBlaze:

I have always been a fan,and I understand if people feel some type of way about him painting his face black...well,there's an ugly history behind that.Personally,I was never in anyway offended by it,maybe I'm just too aloof when it comes to such things.

It's also how black people are portrayed generally nje in his movies. They come across as fools. Think of the residents of Kuvukiland marvelling at everything, how blacks overact in his skits, how they are slapped around. I guess the last part is why his fans say he exposed racists coz they were very quick to slap black characters in the hiddecamera pranks.
Re: SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) by JaceBlaze: 12:13am On Jun 21, 2020
TMKsouth:

It's also how black people are portrayed generally nje in his movies. They come across as fools. Think of the residents of Kuvukiland marvelling at everything, how blacks overact in his skits, how they are slapped around. I guess the last part is why his fans say he exposed racists coz they were very quick to slap black characters in the hiddecamera pranks.

Interesting take.In this case I guess Nigerians were justified in boycotting District 9? Lol.

2 Likes

Re: SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) by TMKsouth: 12:26am On Jun 21, 2020
JaceBlaze:

Interesting take.In this case I guess Nigerians were justified in boycotting District 9? Lol.

That could never have landed well, and it didn't.
Re: SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) by JaceBlaze: 8:43am On Jun 21, 2020
TMKsouth:

That could never have landed well, and it didn't.

Feathers will always be ruffled tbh.Cubans were not happy with how they were portraited in "Scarface" and Christians are still mad at Mel Gibson for making "Passion of The Christ" so there's no winning everybody nod of approval in this life....

2 Likes

Re: SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) by TMKsouth: 1:13pm On Jun 21, 2020
JaceBlaze:

Feathers will always be ruffled tbh.Cubans were not happy with how they were portraited in "Scarface" and Christians are still mad at Mel Gibson for making "Passion of The Christ" so there's no winning everybody nod of approval in this life....

Yep. Can't have control over how someone else portrays you. Best medicine is making your own films where you control the narrative.
Re: SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) by Nobody: 1:42am On Jun 22, 2020
He was my favorite South African comedian.

1 Like

Re: SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) by Nobody: 1:43am On Jun 22, 2020
JaceBlaze:

I don't think there was anyone offended either.
Re: SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) by heniford2: 5:52am On Jun 22, 2020
TMKsouth:

Glad you're behaving for once.
if you insult my country i will rain hell to you and your stupid senseless country but apart from that we are cool just been patriotic to my country at largegrin and i expect you to unleash your madness if i do so to yours=

1 Like

Re: SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) by Hotspotbro(m): 7:12pm On Jun 22, 2020
Leon schuster leave die Mann...

His films i like
Mr bones
Zulu on my stoerp
Bad Buddies
And much more.... The man tried a lot... They can just add a content warning. I don't support racists....

1 Like

Re: SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) by Hotspotbro(m): 7:14pm On Jun 22, 2020
TMKsouth:

yeah in Kuvukiland, the black guy who pooped in someone's house thinking he saw a sign that said toilet when it was to let
Re: SA Comedy-king Leon Schuster's Movies Dropped by DSTV over the Blackface (#BLM) by TMKsouth: 7:16pm On Jun 22, 2020
Hotspotbro:
Leon schuster leave die Mann...

His films i like
Mr bones
Zulu on my stoerp
Bad Buddies
And much more.... The man tried a lot... They can just add a content warning. I don't support racists....

The hidden camera ones are the best. But yeah, Zulu on My Stoep is a damn classic !

(1) (Reply)

Man Filmed Having S3x With A Mad Woman Broad Daylight In Akwa Ibom (photos)* / How To Spoof An Entire Career: The Curious Story Of Kemi Olunloyo / Wife In Tears As Yul Edochie Marries Second Wife After Giving Birth To A Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.