Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,931 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:48 PM

What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland (6653 Views)

What Do You Think Of School Reunions? Tell Us Your Experiences. Thanks. / What Course Made You Think Of Your Life Twice In The University / 25 Creative Life Hacks You’d Never Think Of In A Million Years. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by Lorayne(m): 9:12pm On Jun 21, 2020
Saw this on reddit today...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nigeria/comments/hd77zx/what_do_you_guys_think_of_nairaland/
Here re some of the comments

Gbebodi:I is an exact replica and a mini version of Nigeria and all its problems. There's some good, some bad and some ugly, all in good doses
PrinceO__5h Never heard of it but I just looked it up and I see a lot of tribalism and hate being spewed. Sad.
quinceedman5h Nairaland is shit. I still use it every day cos of some threads I follow though.
HoxHoundOwerri5h The politics and news sections are garbage. Other sections can be quite useful, depending on your interests.

It's very unfortunate that Nairaland is most Nigerians' gateway to the Internet. Seun's refusal to crack down on tribalism in the early days has permanently set the tone for the website.
nathandrake2008 The section is vile...that is where you see most tribal warlords. Other section can be informative and interesting
XxdapsxX4h It's too Toxic, too many trolls. You can't really have a serious civil discussion on the website. I avoid at all cost.
Epoch789United States5h I used to browse it semi regularly for the humor (humor can be actual jokes or just laughing at users flaming each other) but like 4chan and anything else where large groups of people hangout uncensored have to leave it alone before I get upset over the sheer amount of garbage content and belligerence.
Dark-Taheer3h I avoid it at all cost...It's wild and scary...the amount of ignorance there, is impossible
oreeos_3h It’s wild out there. It’s like a miniature version of the actual country where the common man is.
Chiskie2h As a woman living in Nigeria, it is absolutely hell and I had to stop going there for almost a year.
I have wonderful men in my lives and to see how they trash women there, I'm worried about ladies with low self esteem gauging their self-worth from the discussions on that site.

Horrible place for a young person trying to figure out life. It's a shame tbh.

AuNaCN2h Nairaland politics section is toxic
vegasbm1h
Discussions can be constructive, or be an utter waste of time. A lot of people see their anonymity as a license to disrespect others.

I used to be an active participant, until discussions became one where people want to have the last word, no matter how much evidence you provide that proved them wrong.
What can be done to fix the place? I don't really know, since Nigerians are stubborn and don't follow rules.
spacyzumaUnited Kingdom1h It's truly reflective of Nigerian culture and people.

While there is so much trash and stupidity there, some valuable threads do exist with amazing knowledge treasures. I follow and contribute to a few, especially the threads for nigerians studying, working, living in UK.
Snoo_6020743m Sexist, racist, tribalistic... It's not good for your mental health. Seriously.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by Lorayne(m): 9:24pm On Jun 21, 2020
Seun.... You really need to do something 'bout the tribalism, bullying and misogynistic comments on this forum.

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by TheSourcerer: 9:29pm On Jun 21, 2020
Seun this is what we have been saying since upgrade nairaland and pay for more mods to end tribalism

Nairaland has helped so many people , Nairaland is home for us all ,
I've been here since 2008 and my topic only made fp once , Suen you're a great guy , but listen , make Tribalistic Hate words stop ,

Take only important topics to fp, Stop hating on the country(yes us all)
never let nl'ders Hate on the country anymore
you heard it Nairaland is the mirror of both sides of the world ,
Improve Nairaland Seun

Remove certain Sections , add more free thinking pages to fo to enlighten the youths z , remove Religious session if possible let them find another forum for that , Trabalism is disgusting!!! Nairaland is Home, For eons we would always remember the first international Online News Forum , you're already in history dude , best off you did all this without God .

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by XXXXTENTACION: 9:31pm On Jun 21, 2020
Hmn true true that politics section too dey toxic abeg you can't even drop a comment without getting insulted.

even the mods sef dey partial and biased.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by TheSourcerer: 9:37pm On Jun 21, 2020
CAPSLOCKED , LordReed Hopefullandlord, Xmuslim illicict
Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by Lorayne(m): 9:41pm On Jun 21, 2020
XXXXTENTACION:
Hmn true true that politics section too dey toxic abeg you can't even drop a comment without getting insulted.

even the mods sef dey partial and biased.
Ahswear!...

1 Like

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by TheSourcerer: 9:43pm On Jun 21, 2020
Lorayne:
Saw this on reddit today...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nigeria/comments/hd77zx/what_do_you_guys_think_of_nairaland/
Here re some of the comments

Gbebodi:I is an exact replica and a mini version of Nigeria and all its problems. There's some good, some bad and some ugly, all in good doses
PrinceO__5h Never heard of it but I just looked it up and I see a lot of tribalism and hate being spewed. Sad.
quinceedman5h Nairaland is shit. I still use it every day cos of some threads I follow though.
HoxHoundOwerri5h The politics and news sections are garbage. Other sections can be quite useful, depending on your interests.

It's very unfortunate that Nairaland is most Nigerians' gateway to the Internet. Seun's refusal to crack down on tribalism in the early days has permanently set the tone for the website.
nathandrake2008 The section is vile...that is where you see most tribal warlords. Other section can be informative and interesting
XxdapsxX4h It's too Toxic, too many trolls. You can't really have a serious civil discussion on the website. I avoid at all cost.
Epoch789United States5h I used to browse it semi regularly for the humor (humor can be actual jokes or just laughing at users flaming each other) but like 4chan and anything else where large groups of people hangout uncensored have to leave it alone before I get upset over the sheer amount of garbage content and belligerence.
Dark-Taheer3h I avoid it at all cost...It's wild and scary...the amount of ignorance there, is impossible
oreeos_3h It’s wild out there. It’s like a miniature version of the actual country where the common man is.
Chiskie2h As a woman living in Nigeria, it is absolutely hell and I had to stop going there for almost a year.
I have wonderful men in my lives and to see how they trash women there, I'm worried about ladies with low self esteem gauging their self-worth from the discussions on that site.

Horrible place for a young person trying to figure out life. It's a shame tbh.

AuNaCN2h Nairaland politics section is toxic
vegasbm1h
Discussions can be constructive, or be an utter waste of time. A lot of people see their anonymity as a license to disrespect others.

I used to be an active participant, until discussions became one where people want to have the last word, no matter how much evidence you provide that proved them wrong.
What can be done to fix the place? I don't really know, since Nigerians are stubborn and don't follow rules.
spacyzumaUnited Kingdom1h It's truly reflective of Nigerian culture and people.

While there is so much trash and stupidity there, some valuable threads do exist with amazing knowledge treasures. I follow and contribute to a few, especially the threads for nigerians studying, working, living in UK.
Snoo_6020743m Sexist, racist, tribalistic... It's not good for your mental health. Seriously.
do you have screenshots ?

1 Like

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by CAPSLOCKED: 9:43pm On Jun 21, 2020
It's wild and scary...the amount of ignorance there, is impossible
IMPOSSIBLE IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by TheSourcerer: 9:44pm On Jun 21, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

IMPOSSIBLE IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT.
Hmm
Ignorance
Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by Lorayne(m): 9:45pm On Jun 21, 2020
TheSourcerer:
do you have screenshots ?
Not really ... Go to the link I posted
Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by TheSourcerer: 9:49pm On Jun 21, 2020
It's True, I'm a ververt Redditor

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by TheSourcerer: 9:49pm On Jun 21, 2020
It will take time for the average Nigerian to get to internet civility .

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jun 21, 2020
Well I have got load of love from nairaland
I was even able to get back on my feet thanks to Mr bello, that man was God sent.
When I almost committed suicide, nairalanders came to my rescue some even reached out to me personally.
All in all, whatever you want from nairaland is what you will get.
I have been insulted because I warrant it, dragged because I feel I still warrant that too.
But the love have received here far supercede the hatred.
Sometimes nairaland is like the proverbial stone you throw to hit a palm-tree, it will reciprocate the gesture.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by Lorayne(m): 9:52pm On Jun 21, 2020
southniyikaye:
Well I have got load of love from nairaland
I was even able to get back on my feet thanks to Mr bello, that man was God sent.
When I almost committed suicide, nairalanders came to my rescue some even reached out to me personally.
All in all, whatever you want from nairaland is what you will get.
I have been insulted because I warrant it, dragged because I feel I still warrant that too.
But the love have received here far supercede the hatred.
Sometimes nairaland is like the proverbial stone you throw to hit a palm-tree, it will reciprocate the gesture.
So, in other words you re cool with the status quo?

4 Likes

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by matrixme(m): 9:56pm On Jun 21, 2020
Do we need to bother ourselves with the thought of pro-white activists and their agenda? Lions don't consider the opinion of sheep. Reddit is not a place where black People's opinion count, so they always look negatively on any black issues. I stopped going there more than 2 years ago and I've never been happier.
At least Nairaland na we-we, so that's all that matters. Many people here have gotten jobs via Nairaland. Many businesses have increased value, money has changed hands via Nairaland and perhaps some may have even secured their life partner here. So who Reddit help? Tell me..

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jun 21, 2020
Lorayne:

So, in other words you re cool with the status quo?
am just saying you get what you deserve on nairaland.
You can't be insulted if you don't warrant it.
It is a forum, an open one for that matter.
If God want us all to have same character, he will give us same face, mind and same way of thinking.
We are all created differently so expect diff attitudes and characters.
Believe me, some people will finish smoking their igbo and test run their madness here or what sane conversations do you expect from some teenagers whose achievement have been to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner prepared by their mom?
Well, some of us are here to do business and catch fun.

3 Likes

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by Lorayne(m): 10:06pm On Jun 21, 2020
southniyikaye:
am just saying you get what you deserve on nairaland.
You can't be insulted if you don't warrant it.
It is a forum, an open one for that matter.
If God want us all to have same character, he will give us same face, mind and same way of thinking.
We are all created differently so expect diff attitudes and characters.
Believe me, some people will finish smoking their igbo and test run their madness here or what sane conversations do you expect from some teenagers whose achievement have been to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner prepared by their mom?
Well, some of us are here to do business and catch fun.
So, you mean all the people insulted here somehow deserved it?
And stop bringing God into this. "If God want us all to have same character, he will give us same face, mind and same way of thinking." So you re saying God created some people with bad characters and some with good characters?.

9 Likes

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by Lorayne(m): 10:08pm On Jun 21, 2020
matrixme:
Do we need to bother ourselves with the thought of pro-white activists and their agenda? Lions don't consider the opinion of sheep. Reddit is not a place where black People's opinion count, so they always look negatively on any black issues. I stopped going there more than 2 years ago and I've never been happier.
At least Nairaland na we-we, so that's all that matters. Many people here have gotten jobs via Nairaland. Many businesses have increased value, money has changed hands via Nairaland and perhaps some may have even secured their life partner here. So who Reddit help? Tell me..
That's a Nigerian sub-reddit. Most of the commenters are Nigerians. Though, some in the diaspora.

3 Likes

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by Onyenna(m): 10:32pm On Jun 21, 2020
A true reflection of the Country.....
Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by seanwilliam(m): 10:47pm On Jun 21, 2020
If you can survive on nairaland, you can survive anywhere grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by meobizy(f): 10:49pm On Jun 21, 2020
Just recognize this platform for what it is: a hotbed of ignorance. With that out of the way there's nothing children here can do which will affect your existence.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by UncleSnr(m): 10:50pm On Jun 21, 2020
TheSourcerer:
Seun this is what we have been saying since upgrade nairaland and pay for more mods to end tribalism....

You don't need to remove any section, I advice Seun to upgrade Nairaland to function with upvote and downvote just like reddit, post with -ve reviews/downvotes gets hidden automatically, then use Machine Learning for frontpage, thereby reducing the load on mods and giving people recent contents related to their interest.

Update:

Here is a thread on NL redesign by a member www.nairaland.com/5034453/nairaland-redesign-whats-take

Using such design template, he will include night mode.

He doesn't need to run it at once, he can make it in beta mode for a while, then launch it fully later, he will also retain the old view by linking users to it.

It is not easy, but with money he can achieve it.

3 Likes

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by TheSourcerer: 10:53pm On Jun 21, 2020
matrixme:
the international image helps , no matter how insignificant it may sound now to you

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by TheSourcerer: 10:58pm On Jun 21, 2020
UncleSnr:

You don't need to remove any section, I advice Seun to upgrade Nairaland to function with upvote and downvote just like reddit, post with -ve reviews/downvotes gets hidden automatically, then use Machine Learning for frontpage, thereby reducing the load on mods and giving people recent contents related to their interest.
Yes and smileys and user online comfort and payment to hundreds of jobless vevert Nairalanders who are talented youths , you could pit on your payroll Seun ! Make it updated to the 21st century let's us say bleep freely , don't let us to swear to comment on fp pages (so what its friday) fp is for everyone atheists and christains alike

1 Like

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by SALTandFIRE: 11:02pm On Jun 21, 2020
TheSourcerer:
the international image helps , no matter how insignificant it may sound now to you
It's the IPOB lot that turned Nairaland into a tribal-land

Nairaland is doing just fine..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by COOL10(m): 11:03pm On Jun 21, 2020
Lorayne:
Seun.... You really need to do something 'bout the tribalism, bullying and misogynistic comments on this forum.

What about the misandristic comments?

3 Likes

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by somehow: 11:06pm On Jun 21, 2020
Nairaland is filled with thick ignorance and vile people with just few level headed users and content

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by UncleSnr(m): 11:12pm On Jun 21, 2020
TheSourcerer:

Yes and smileys and user online comfort and payment to hundreds of jobless vevert Nairalanders who are talented youths , you could pit on your payroll Seun ! Make it updated to the 21st century let's us say bleep freely , don't let us to swear to comment on fp pages (so what its friday) fp is for everyone atheists and christains alike
Lol, I updated my comment.

Coming to hiring developers, there are programmers who are looking for feeding money, they'll be willing to work for you for comfortable pay.
He doesn't need senior dev's or whatsoever they call themselves.

He is already using python and I think the antispam bot is written in python too, these will aid the Machine Learning.

convert the likes to upvote.

We may talk about Nairaland losing its speed and device compatibility, that will be worked on by the programmers, you pay them to think.

Lol.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by UncleSnr(m): 11:13pm On Jun 21, 2020
SALTandFIRE:
It's the IPOB lot that turned Nairaland into a tribal-land

Nairaland is doing just fine..
My friend if you have been a member since, you'll know that the politics section has been a war front right from time.

People have been scamming each other here since ages.

6 Likes

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by COOL10(m): 11:15pm On Jun 21, 2020
UncleSnr:

Update:

Here is a thread on NL redesign by a member www.nairaland.com/5034453/nairaland-redesign-whats-take

Using such design template, he will include night mode.

He doesn't need to run it at once, he can make it in beta mode for a while, then launch it fully later, he will also retain the old view by linking users to it.

It is not easy, but with money he can achieve it.

Upvotes/Downvotes shouldn't be used as yardsticks to determine posts credibility/visibility. If things are done that way,then there would be lots of deleted important posts just because they didn't sit well with the public.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is The English Name For AWONRINWON Or Alepa(yoruba Names). / Any Info About Petroleum Training Institute Effurun.delta State / Please Is There Any Accreditation For European - American University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.