Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,831 members, 7,851,815 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 08:37 AM

The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It (804 Views)

Labour Party Has Ruined It's Chances Completely In FCT / Did You Know That There Are Three Major Ethnic Groups In Kogi State? / Map Of Nigeria With Major Ethnic Tribe On Each Region And State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by needanswer: 11:25pm On Jun 23, 2020
we have so many tribes and ethnic groups in Nigeria. the major rulers have come from majority ethnic groups in the north and south. while minority ethnic groups are pushed aside no matter how qualified they are. it is therefore logical to conclude that the major ethnic groups that have been ruling us since 1960 where the ones that ruined Nigeria, while the minority groups played a little part.
Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by etrange: 11:59pm On Jun 23, 2020
Lol... why this well crafted blame game though? I thought Jonathan was from one of the minor ethnic groups?

3 Likes

Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by needanswer: 12:01am On Jun 24, 2020
etrange:
Lol... why this well crafted blame game though? I thought Jonathan was from one of the minor ethnic groups?

the minority group like that of Jonathan played a minor role. just 5 years which is not up to two terms like the others
Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by etrange: 12:12am On Jun 24, 2020
needanswer:

the minority group like that of Jonathan played a minor role. just 5 years which is not up to two terms like the others

This blame game is actually not neccessary. A minor ethnic group like that of Jonathan has ruled in recent times for 5 years but you believe a major ethnic group like Igbo that hasn't smelled that position since Nnamdi Azikiwe is the one that misruled Nigeria? Or did you want to say Hausas and Yorubas but do not want to come off as tribalistic? I'm very detribalised and I agree Nigerian leaders have messed up that country; I just don't think the angle you're coming from offers any useful perspective.

6 Likes

Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by needanswer: 12:19am On Jun 24, 2020
etrange:

This blame game is actually not neccessary. A minor ethnic group like that of Jonathan has ruled in recent times for 5 years but you believe a major ethnic group like Igbo that hasn't smelled that position since Nnamdi Azikiwe is the one that misruled Nigeria? Or did you want to say Hausas and Yorubas but do not want to come off as tribalistic? I'm very detribalised and I agree Nigerian leaders have messed up that country; I just don't think the angle you're coming from offers any useful perspective.

I see your point but I have mine too. a while ago while I was still in university politics I found out that people rarely voted for their convictions or for the best candidate. just who is more popular or from their department/faculty. it wasn't on merit but on sentiments. the hausa/fulani wants to vote in themselves, same as the Yoruba's and igbo's, it's tribe FIRST before CREDENTIALS.

1 Like

Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by etrange: 12:40am On Jun 24, 2020
needanswer:

I see your point but I have mine too. a while ago while I was still in university politics I found out that people rarely voted for their convictions or for the best candidate. just who is more popular or from their department/faculty. it wasn't on merit but on sentiments. the hausa/fulani wants to vote in themselves, same as the Yoruba's and igbo's, it's tribe FIRST before CREDENTIALS.

I didn't say you didn't have your point. Sorry if that's the impression I created. But I am faulting your stance. The premise that people vote for their tribes or more popular candidates is absolutely true but the it does not sufficiently support the conclusion that the major ethnic groups collectively misruled Nigeria. This is because, after all said and done, the fact remains that someone from a minor ethnic group has recently held the most powerful position in the country, a height that one of the so called major ethnic groups has not attained. So what exactly is the bases of your submission? I think it will be more beneficial to call out our leaders regardless of their ethnicities.
Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by Amotolongbo(f): 12:41am On Jun 24, 2020
needanswer:

what about Yakubu Gowon?
Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by needanswer: 12:46am On Jun 24, 2020
etrange:

I didn't say you didn't have your point. Sorry if that's the impression I created. But I am faulting your stance. The premise that people vote for their tribes or more popular candidates is absolutely true but the it does not sufficiently support the conclusion that the major ethnic groups collectively misruled Nigeria. This is because, after all said and done, the fact remains that someone from a minor ethnic group has recently held the most powerful position in the country, a height that one of the so called major ethnic groups has not attained. So what exactly is the bases of your submission? I think it will be more beneficial to call out our leaders regardless of their ethnicities.

my submission is going forward will a minor ethnic group be looked at as a source for a candidate or will it always be from the majority. mind you if someone like Jonathan was from the north he won't have lost his re-election bid. he lost not because he failed at governance (which he did in some major areas) but majorly because he didn't have the tribal numbers to keep him in power another term
Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by needanswer: 12:50am On Jun 24, 2020
Amotolongbo:
what about Yakubu Gowon?

from a minor ethnic group in plateau but performed better than a lot of leaders from the major ethnic groups, but if it was a democratic government that was runned then, he would have stood no chance.
Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by Ojiofor: 1:05am On Jun 24, 2020
needanswer:
we have so many tribes and ethnic groups in Nigeria. the major rulers have come from majority ethnic groups in the north and south. while minority ethnic groups are pushed aside no matter how qualified they are. it is therefore logical to conclude that the major ethnic groups that have been ruling us since 1960 where the ones that ruined Nigeria, while the minority groups played a little part.

Gowon 9 years,IBB 8 years,Abacha 5 years,GEJ 5 years and Abdul SALAM Abubakar 1 total of so called minority rule=28 years.
Tafawa Belewa 6 years,Gen Ironsi 6 months,Murtala Mohamed 6 months,Obj 11 years,Shagari 4 years,Yaradua 3 years,Buhari 7 years so called majority rule=32 years.
You can see that Nigeria was equally ruined by both minority and majority ethnic groups with exception Igbos that rule the country for 6 months only.

3 Likes

Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by Kc3000: 1:08am On Jun 24, 2020
Tafawa Balewa - Gera
Gowon - Angas
Babangida-Gwari(Gbagyi)...some may argue he's Hausa.
Abdulsami Abubabakar-same as Babangida
Abacha-Kanuri
Jonathan-Ogbia
If we decide to separate Fulani from Hausa, then add Murtala Mohammed, Shagari, Buhari and Yar'Adua.

Lol minorities actually ruined Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by etrange: 1:13am On Jun 24, 2020
needanswer:

my submission is going forward will a minor ethnic group be looked at as a source for a candidate or will it always be from the majority. mind you if someone like Jonathan was from the north he won't have lost his re-election bid. he lost not because he failed at governance (which he did in some major areas) but majorly because he didn't have the tribal numbers to keep him in power another term

Going forward, everyone deserves a chance, minor or major and I agree with you regarding Jonathan. However, politics is a game of numbers and as such, people who can pull multitudes are usually better off. Seeing that Nigerans vote based on tribe, it might seem as if the smaller ethnic groups have no chance. But history has proven that this isn't necessarily the case. There are other factors asides number. For example, while the so called major ethnic groups were fighting one another, Jonathan was busy taking advantage of that. This can always happen again. The minor ethnicities are somewhat affiliated to the major ones. And because the major ones are always fighting (especially those in the South), they'd rather support someone from the minor group than a candidate from another major group. This dynamics made it possible for a minor ethnic group produce president while one of the major ethnic groups have been striving for it for years.

Like I said, everyone deserves a chance.
Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by needanswer: 1:15am On Jun 24, 2020
Ojiofor:

Gowon 9 years,IBB 8 years,Abacha 5 years,GEJ 5 years and Abdul SALAM Abubakar 1 total of so called minority rule=28 years.
Tafawa Belewa 6 years,Gen Ironsi 6 months,Murtala Mohamed 6 months,Obj 11 years,Shagari 4 years,Yaradua 3 years,Buhari 7 years so called majority rule=32 years.
You can see that Nigeria was equally ruined by both minority and majority ethnic groups with exception Igbos that rule the country for 6 months only.

what of chief Nnamdi azikwe. he ruled for 3 years too. the Ibo of cause are the least of the major groups to rule but are the Ibo's truly interested in ruling Nigeria or their own state?

you have made a good argument for minority rule,i'll look more into it. while I do that though remember those rule where majorly during the military. in democracy where popular and numbers in tribe matters such rule for minority groups will be much harder

1 Like

Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by etrange: 1:15am On Jun 24, 2020
Kc3000:
Tafawa Balewa - Gera
Gowon - Angas
Abacha-Kanuri
Jonathan-Ogbia
If we decide to separate Fulani from Hausa, then add Murtala Mohammed, Shagari, Buhari and Yar'Adua.

Ojiofor:

Tafawa Belewa 6 yearfs,Gen Ironsi 6 months,Murtala Mohamed 6 months,Obj 11 years,Shagari 4 years,Yaradua 3 years,Buhari 7 years so called majority rule=32 years.

needanswer, you see why I said your stance is faulty and the perspective is not worth it. Oya, come and answer them.
Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by Nobody: 1:16am On Jun 24, 2020
Firstly hausa has never ruled Nigeria not for a day

The only Igbo that actually ruled was ironsi which was not up to a year

Only yoruba and fulani are the major ethic group to have ruled Nigeria

Infact ijaws have ruled more than Igbo and hausa combined .....

2 Likes

Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by needanswer: 1:19am On Jun 24, 2020
etrange:

Going forward, everyone deserves a chance, minor or major and I agree with you regarding Jonathan. However, politics is a game of numbers and as such, people who can pull multitudes are usually better off. Seeing that Nigerans vote based on tribe, it might seem as if the smaller ethnic groups have no chance. But history has proven that this isn't necessarily the case. There are other factors asides number. For example, while the so called major ethnic groups were fighting one another, Jonathan was busy taking advantage of that. This can always happen again. The minor ethnicities are somewhat affiliated to the major ones. And because the major ones are always fighting (especially those in the South), they'd rather support someone from the minor group than a candidate from another major group. This dynamics made it possible for a minor ethnic group produce president while one of the major ethnic groups have been striving for it for years.

Like I said, everyone deserves a chance.

every one deserves a chance is a fair statement. but I doubt everyone will actually get a chance. it will only be possible is tribal sentiment is totally removed (also religious).
Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by etrange: 1:19am On Jun 24, 2020
needanswer:

what of chief Nnamdi azikwe. he ruled for 3 years too. the Ibo of cause are the least of the major groups to rule but are the Ibo's truly interested in ruling Nigeria or their own state?

you have made a good argument for minority rule,i'll look more into it. while I do that though remember those rule where majorly during the military. in democracy where popular and numbers in tribe matters such rule for minority groups will be much harder

Talking about that, Nnamdi Azikiwe ruled when the office of the president was not the most powerful position. There was a prime minister in control.

@bolded, don't derail your own thread. It's been an interesting conversation so far. This isn't about Biafra but about who's held more power time.

1 Like

Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by etrange: 1:22am On Jun 24, 2020
needanswer:

every one deserves a chance is a fair statement. but I doubt everyone will actually get a chance. it will only be possible is tribal sentiment is totally removed (also religious).

True what I am saying is that it's not a majority vs minority thing. Minority is crying that they've not had enough power time while one of the majorities is crying they've never really had any real power time. So you see, it's simply about fairness for all.
Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by needanswer: 1:22am On Jun 24, 2020
Igbochief001:
Firstly hausa has never ruled Nigeria not for a day

The only Igbo that actually ruled was ironsi which was not up to a year

Only yoruba and fulani are the major ethic group to have ruled Nigeria

Infact ijaws have ruled more than Igbo and hausa combined .....

from what I know the Hausa lands are dominated by Fulani's leading us to call them wrongly as Hausa's. then those minor ethnic groups have managed to rule by masquerading under the disguise of the major ones

1 Like

Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by needanswer: 1:24am On Jun 24, 2020
etrange:

True what I am saying is that it's not a majority vs minority thing. Minority is crying that they've not had enough power time while one of the majorities is crying they've never really had any real power time. So you see, it's simply about fairness for all.

OK, so what do you consider fairness for all?
Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by Nobody: 1:26am On Jun 24, 2020
needanswer:

from what I know the Hausa lands are dominated by Fulani's leading us to call them wrongly as Hausa's. then those minor ethnic groups have managed to rule by masquerading under the disguise of the major ones
Igbos have little or nothing to do with Nigeria running , we played little or no role in it ,no body should blame igbos

There is absolutely no way Nigeria can work , ...let's all go our separate ways , we can share a common currency n for a regional body ...but let each people control their destiny

1 Like

Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by etrange: 1:26am On Jun 24, 2020
needanswer:

OK, so what do you consider fairness for all?

Like you said, the idea of different groups being possible sources of credible candidates; major or minor.
Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by needanswer: 1:30am On Jun 24, 2020
etrange:

Talking about that, Nnamdi Azikiwe ruled when the office of the president was not the powerful position. There was a prime minister in control.

@bolded, don't derail your own thread. It's been an interesting conversation so far. This isn't about Biafra but about who's held more power time.

I'll try not to derail it. okay so the Ibo's have been short changed. In this democracy you deserve a short at the top seat, it will be fair you get it. but like other major ethnic group when they land the hot sit, tribalism sets in, instead on building an all inclusive government. I hope the Ibo's will fair better where others have failed in the past
Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by needanswer: 1:35am On Jun 24, 2020
Igbochief001:

Igbos have little or nothing to do with Nigeria running , we played little or no role in it ,no body should blame igbos

There is absolutely no way Nigeria can work , ...let's all go our separate ways , we can share a common currency n for a regional body ...but let each people control their destiny

that idea of separation sounds interesting but I think it's a populist idea. although you are correct in the Ibo's playing a little role in the hot seat. they deserve a shot at it.

but aside that, a nation is built on principles, minus the Ibo's being industrious as their good quality (even though they have their flaws too), what principles have they shown to prove they can govern themselves better if they separate today?
Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by needanswer: 1:37am On Jun 24, 2020
etrange:

Like you said, the idea of different groups being possible sources of credible candidates; major or minor.

zoning currently is the only system put forward for these but I doubt it is viable for long
Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by etrange: 1:38am On Jun 24, 2020
needanswer:

I'll try not to derail it. okay so the Ibo's have been short changed. In this democracy you deserve a short at the top seat, it will be fair you get it. but like other major ethnic group when they land the hot sit, tribalism sets in, instead on building an all inclusive government. I hope the Ibo's will fair better where others have failed in the past

You are right. But we don't reall know how an Igbo man will fare until he's given the chance. They may do better, they may take it as a chance to undo all the wrongs done to them, they may be worse than others, etc. But like I said, everyone deserves a chance to show what they have to offer.

I'm off to the grocery store. It's been nice having this chat.

Good night!
Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by etrange: 1:38am On Jun 24, 2020
needanswer:

zoning currently is the only system put forward for these but I doubt it is viable for long

Yeah
Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by needanswer: 1:39am On Jun 24, 2020
etrange:

needanswer, you see why I said your stance is faulty and the perspective is not worth it. Oya, come and answer them.

I like the post. I have noted it
Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by needanswer: 1:39am On Jun 24, 2020
Kc3000:
Tafawa Balewa - Gera
Gowon - Angas
Abacha-Kanuri
Jonathan-Ogbia

thanks for the insight

1 Like

Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by needanswer: 1:41am On Jun 24, 2020
etrange:

You are right. But we don't reall know how an Igbo man will fare until he's given the chance. They may do better, they may take it as a chance to undo all the wrongs done to them, they may be worse than others, etc. But like I said, everyone deserves a chance to show what they have to offer.

I'm off to the grocery store. It's been nice having this chat.

Good night!

thanks for the opportunity. good night
Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by needanswer: 1:42am On Jun 24, 2020
Kc3000:
Tafawa Balewa - Gera
Gowon - Angas
Abacha-Kanuri
Jonathan-Ogbia

thanks for the insight

1 Like

Re: The Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Has Ruined It by Nobody: 2:14am On Jun 24, 2020
needanswer:

that idea of separation sounds interesting but I think it's a populist idea. although you are correct in the Ibo's playing a little role in the hot seat. they deserve a shot at it.

but aside that, a nation is built on principles, minus the Ibo's being industrious as their good quality (even though they have their flaws too), what principles have they shown to prove they can govern themselves better if they separate today?
Yo grow as a nation u need two basic things ....patriotic citizens and enthrone merit ....this are the things the Igbo posseses in excess ...igbos are very patriotic to their homeland and always wants merit ...so with that I believe igbos would do better alone

Truth is no body believes in one Nigeria ...no tribe ...infact it's Igbo that believes in one Nigeria the most ...reason we build anywhere ... hypocrisy is just the issue

Nigeria can never grow unless we enthrone merit ...fear of Igbo domination is the reason we can't enthrone merit ...it's so simple ...let's go our separate ways ..every region would do better

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tinubu Writes On Current APC Crisis / Edo 2020: Obaseki’s Triumphs And Oshiomhole’s Woes, A Lesson For Aspiring Leader / Arthur Eze Threatens Lawsuit Against Obiano Over Anambra Monarchs' Pay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.