Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,013 members, 7,838,549 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria (56635 Views)

Totalenergies To Exit Nigerian Onshore Oil Business / MTN To Exit Liberia, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea-Conakry / Bank Staff Escape Angry Customers By Using The Back Fence To Exit Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by AreaFada2: 6:55am On Jun 27, 2020
greypencils:
wetin concern infinix with Vodafone? Infinix is not a network provider, theirs is to retail phones, why not give the same excuse to Apple and Samsung? You wanna compare Vodafone, use valid examples like MTN and Glo. Let your logic make sense. And I guess Nigerias business environment is the reason Mr Price closed down in Poland and Australia?It is time to grow local business in Nigeria and do away with the companies that don't provide any real value. The business environment may be bleeped up especially because businesses have to produce their own power but that's about all. Our local businesses will still thrive under any weather.
Well some people want to be spoon-fed and probably cannot process many things mentioned in one small post.

If Westerners do not use cheap Chinese goods, which ones are they using if not products like Apple or Samsung?

Many Nairalanders may never have left the shores of Nigeria but I do not seem anybody so dense these days not to know.

Australia and such are saturated with high value products and a new entrant might struggle. They are spoilt for choice. They also create jobs easily with a good benefit system.

Closure of businesses in Nigeria means penury for local staff laid off. No benefits or other jobs to get quickly. The masses suffer reduce options too. No comparison.
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by AreaFada2: 7:07am On Jun 27, 2020
greypencils:
wetin concern infinix with Vodafone? Infinix is not a network provider, theirs is to retail phones, why not give the same excuse to Apple and Samsung? You wanna compare Vodafone, use valid examples like MTN and Glo. Let your logic make sense. And I guess Nigerias business environment is the reason Mr Price closed down in Poland and Australia?It is time to grow local business in Nigeria and do away with the companies that don't provide any real value. The business environment may be bleeped up especially because businesses have to produce their own power but that's about all. Our local businesses will still thrive under any weather.
Well some people want to be spoon-fed and probably cannot process many things mentioned in one small post.

If Westerners do not use cheap Chinese goods, which ones are they using if not products like Apple or Samsung?

Even a new paragraph could not tell you that that it is now discussing the wider Telco sector?

Problems with oversabi people is that they are not often as smart or logical as they believe. shocked

Many Nairalanders may never have left the shores of Nigeria but I do not deem anybody so dense these days not to know.

Australia and such are saturated with high value products and a new entrants might struggle. Online players are taking a bigger share of the market in developed economies. They are spoilt fo choice. Developed countries also create new jobs more easily with a good benefit system if jobs are lost. Nigeria is not there yet.

Closure of businesses in Nigeria means penury for local staff laid off. No state benefits or other jobs to get quickly. The masses suffer reduced options too. No comparison.
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by phransix2: 7:29am On Jun 27, 2020
onyechez:

Hahaha, you haven't bought one, or maybe because of it is Nigeria. they're still in Ghana currently as we speak, they're affordable to buy. but I heard they are making plans to leave Kenya and Ghana too ( but I don't think they will leave as expected).
There's something certain this companies from south Africa do especially in Nigeria(in terms of cost) I don't like, you won't understand until you visit other countries

I do patronize the store but the last time was when I needed an emergency beach wear, I got this colorful shirt and shorts. Which the price was high not knowing I bought a disposable beach wear, Immediately after the outing I tried washing it, the water became colorful. That was the end
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by phransix2: 7:30am On Jun 27, 2020
sunboy:

I don’t know about the pricing but very inferior something. One wash and they fade! I hated that store

You are very right
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by phransix2: 7:31am On Jun 27, 2020
efavour:
and looks like trash

Hahahaha... Very colorful clothes
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by fashrola(m): 7:36am On Jun 27, 2020
Substandard Fabrics with High Prices just like PEP
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by jrusky(m): 7:39am On Jun 27, 2020
wisdomkid:

Imagine with this your attitude and support of Buhari, more companies starts leaving Nigeria, this country will turn to an animal pack. Issues like these should be looked from the senate. Companies leaving the country means the economy is going down, and the currency becomes more weak. Do you know why countries like Zimbabwe and others have low currency? We should not let Nigeria become a case study on failed nations.

Lets be guarded with what we wish for.

Pls bro leave all these talks. Its like you are new here if you are not you should have know me that I'm not and will never be buhari supporter, say who die, if even I'm crazy I will not be in same page with Buhari but bro anything South Africa is abomination to me so do you get my point now?. So he can move his nonsense compang to anywhere I give no bleep ok.
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by Oyiboman69: 7:43am On Jun 27, 2020
modestbrowser:
No _fuck was given

It won't take 1 month before ABA boys replace your Zulu azz or Yoruba men replace you
Ha ha!!

Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by captianfreeman(m): 7:48am On Jun 27, 2020
adioolayi:
Hmm....."In the early days we were making money but now we just came up against too many roadblocks, whether it’s getting the money out, etc.”

Getting money out to where? Are you exporting currency?

Don't mind them. They came to Nigeria to engage in currency exportation.
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by ThatFairGuy: 8:15am On Jun 27, 2020
NwaNimo1:
Sai Buhari....

anyway, we will see you back in 2023

mark my words!

[img]https://media./images/ac5ecb53eda4d3011be648f4873987ac/tenor.gif[/img]
You must be a kid or a pessimist. We'll never retrogress again, Biafra can take it
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by adedayourt(m): 8:41am On Jun 27, 2020
Profprom:
Why blow your trumpet before leaving? Whether you leave or stay we have been surviving in this country and we will still survive with or without you. Better luck else where

He's not blowing trumpet, as a public company he is speaking to sharehilders to intimate them of future plans which is the right thing to do as a responsible company.
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by chaloskyx: 9:01am On Jun 27, 2020
volatile i doubt if the country is that volatile that people would stop buying clothes its either your prices were to high or you did a poor market analysis before investing in Nigeria. but we all know you are leaving and its because your business and revenue has been affected by covid all around the world as such you need to close down shops not only in Nigeria but other places to break even. but because you dont want to frighten investors you blame it on volatility that does not exist. so next time dont scare away potential investors cause you are ashamed to give reasons for your failure. more over you actually have nothing to offer us by selling clothes try consumables as your exit wont be felt in the slightest.
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by Drizzy5001(m): 9:07am On Jun 27, 2020
You can go bye bye , who u epp?
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 9:36am On Jun 27, 2020
zachanalysis:
Good riddance. So you expect to repatriate all the profit made in Nigeria to that xenophobic haven without any restriction from the government. You must be mad! Nigeria and Nigerians first.

Well, Dangote, Access Bank, Glo and other Nigerian companies operating outside the country also do same by repatriating profits to Nigeria. What you imply is that Ethiopia should make it difficult for Dangote Cement to repatriate her profits to her home headquarters' country, which does not make sense. Once you make it difficult for companies to repatriate back to their head office, they stop investing.

@Topic: The comments by Nigerians simply means they are averse to FDI and the benefits it brings. Not only is the business environment already tough but you make it difficult for foreign investors to thrive thereby reducing FDIs. I don't know which top 20 economy that is not open to FDI. Saying that Nigerians are up to the task is entirely false if not they should have met demand and even open branches abroad. I cannot think of a major fashion (high or low) retailer that started from Nigeria and has opened stores abroad like Mr Price, Uniqlo, Zara etc. With this mentality, I doubt Nigeria will one day become a top 20 economy in the world anytime soon. Even Vietnam and Myanmar do not operate like this.
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 9:45am On Jun 27, 2020
nedekid:

The irony of it all is that their cloths are not expensive. It is us that have become poorer!
The advarage shirt you will buy for $10 five years ago at N1400 is now N4500 due to the falling naira to dollar. Meanwhile your salary and other income has not increased.
This means that most Nigerians have their purchasing power greatly diminished. How much was 2003 corolla 5 years ago? 750k. Despite the years that the car has gotten older, it is now sold for 1.8m.
How much was a brand new camry then, 3.5 to 5m. It's is now about 18-20m.
Bottom like is that we are poorer today and hence advarage items seem expensive to us.
Its now the lowest quality of China cloths or okrika most folks can afford now.

When I stated same on Twitter, someone came barking at me. The purchasing power of Nigerians is extremely weak, worse so when those who managed to have it are fleeing to foreign countries. Who then forms the buying market? This goes beyond the currency value after all the Won of SKorea and Yen of Japan are weaker compared to the dollar. Stiff competition from online retailers might contribute to Mr Price's woes but as of purchasing power of Nigerians, it is dead. It is why some firms don't have operations here or when they do, very little goes on because the buying power is literally absent. Worse still, the cost of doing business is insane compared to similar countries of development status that have higher purchasing power (better being in Pakistan, India or Indonesia than Nigeria).

1 Like

Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 9:48am On Jun 27, 2020
King44:
Taking the country's money out of the country i large sum can you try that in Dubai.

If it was impossible, no company will invest in the UAE. You mean those oil companies in the UAE cannot repatriate their profits to their home countries? Entirely false from you.
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 9:52am On Jun 27, 2020
stagger:
Please if they need people to help them pack and get out fast, I am ready to help them.

Enough of these companies coming to Nigeria to pack and export money to their home countries, whereas their home governments stand and watch their citizens killing our people in their nations.

What has Mr Price done to stop the xenophobic attacks against Nigerians in SA?

Abeg, make them pack quick and go. Nonsense! If you are good to Nigerians, Nigeria will be good to you.

How is the responsibility of providing security to SAs that of Mr Price? @BOLD: The belief that only Nigerians can develop the economy is entirely false as no country with a burgeoning economy did it by herself. None! If Nigerians are that good at growing and managing companies, there should be replicas of Nigerian Zaras, Uniqlos, Mr Prices across the world or at best across the continent of Africa. So tomorrow, if Uniqlo closes shop in Nigeria, it means Nigerians are being killed in Japan?
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 9:56am On Jun 27, 2020
Going through this thread again, then I am not wrong when I stated that the vast majority of Nigerians lack understanding of basic economics (apologies to Thomas Sowell).

1 Like

Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by kay7: 10:17am On Jun 27, 2020
There’s no way we will miss them. We have better and quality locally produced cloths in Nigeria.
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by ernieboy(m): 10:50am On Jun 27, 2020
adioolayi:
Hmm....."In the early days we were making money but now we just came up against too many roadblocks, whether it’s getting the money out, etc.”

Getting money out to where? Are you exporting currency?
he meant repartriation of profits, that's is why I look at people who are talking about foreign investments like it is the bread and butter of an economy. nothing beats homegrown enterpreneurs because their profits is mostly reinvested, but foreign companies will want to export there profits.
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by ernieboy(m): 10:56am On Jun 27, 2020
phransix2:

I do patronize the store but the last time was when I needed an emergency beach wear, I got this colorful shirt and shorts. Which the price was high not knowing I bought a disposable beach wear, Immediately after the outing I tried washing it, the water became colorful. That was the end
overpriced garbage, many companies just wanna take advantage of the Nigerian market, but I bet u would have gotten a better wear if u had patronized aba or any of our local designers.

1 Like

Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by steveekeoma(m): 11:16am On Jun 27, 2020
greypencils:
Na Buhari cause Mr Price to close down for Poland and Australia ba? Make una dey try get small patriotism. Small. You can blame Buhari for many things, yes but Mr Price leaving Nigeria has nothing to do with Buhari. It is time to grow our own local textile industry not some shitty stupid SA company selling substandard clothes to us.
I hope u read the main post very well? He didn't use the word voletile when talked about poland and austraile but made use of it in describing the situation in nigeria. However, prior to the coming of mr price, ur govt couldn't develop local made products but were/are still busy patronizing foreign products. Thus, u are here telling patriotism 4 once. The govt is not ready to made local products excel here in nigeria. They are not ready to provide the necessary facilities for local made products to excel. So forget patriotism until they fix the mess they've caused this country. Who patriotism epp in 9ja?
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by steveekeoma(m): 11:22am On Jun 27, 2020
King44:
who cares about my silly gvt... We are talking business here just give that vacant space sometime it would be occupied by another retailer. No fvck is given.
No facilities but wit high tariff and tax to be paid by the occupant who is a nigeria!
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by TrebleChamp(m): 12:06pm On Jun 27, 2020
Was it also road blocks that made them leave Australia and Poland?
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by zachanalysis: 3:41pm On Jun 27, 2020
Gerrard59:

Well, Dangote, Access Bank, Glo and other Nigerian companies operating outside the country also do same by repatriating profits to Nigeria. What you imply is that Ethiopia should make it difficult for Dangote Cement to repatriate her profits to her home headquarters' country, which does not make sense. Once you make it difficult for companies to repatriate back to their head office, they stop investing.

@Topic: The comments by Nigerians simply means they are averse to FDI and the benefits it brings. Not only is the business environment already tough but you make it difficult for foreign investors to thrive thereby reducing FDIs. I don't know which top 20 economy that is not open to FDI. Saying that Nigerians are up to the task is entirely false if not they should have met demand and even open branches abroad. I cannot think of a major fashion (high or low) retailer that started from Nigeria and has opened stores abroad like Mr Price, Uniqlo, Zara etc. With this mentality, I doubt Nigeria will one day become a top 20 economy in the world anytime soon. Even Vietnam and Myanmar do not operate like this.
Oga chill. FDI is only good if it is not motivated solely by selfish motive. Fine, Nigerians get employed in these multinationals other than that, nothing else. You need to see how they downsize without warning while not minding the piecemeal they pay as salary. If you think i'm making it up, ask those who have worked in MTN, Multi choice and other South African franchises in Naija. Also how many of these companies are listed on the NSE so that you and I who buy from them could at least benefit from them somehow somehow. It took a lot of fang baring by the Nigerian government to compel MTN to get listed on the NSE. Call me anti South African but if any country wants to get anything from Nigeria it shouldn't be those bloody ingrates. They kill our people for frivolous reasons and they dare come to our country and take from us without giving back? The era of diplomatic father Christmas is over. The USA and UK etc who do same can be excused on the realizations that we get huge aids and grants from them yearly. And before you say they buy oil from us, i need point out that our oil is in high demand all over the world (pre covid 19 era and I believe even after). Its low sulphur content and our proximity to their country is something that their industrial complex depends upon. So we are doing them much good as they do us in that regard.
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by Hotice085: 5:06pm On Jun 27, 2020
The useless DSTV we wait when a new set of cabal will come kick the useless one protecting them. DSTV will run naked out of Nigeria soon.
MTN don surrender to their Nigeria criminal boss thats why de r still standing
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by kutashi: 5:40pm On Jun 27, 2020
Profprom:
Why blow your trumpet before leaving? Whether you leave or stay we have been surviving in this country and we will still survive with or without you. Better luck else where

I don't know where the company will go? grin
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by kutashi: 5:42pm On Jun 27, 2020
NwaNimo1:
Sai Buhari....

anyway, we will see you back in 2023

mark my words!

[img]https://media./images/ac5ecb53eda4d3011be648f4873987ac/tenor.gif[/img]

Mumu sighted! No reading, just comment! It obvious you wail about your life!
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by obstead200(m): 5:55pm On Jun 27, 2020
Jwonder:
Investors are running away, nobody wants to invest in a volatile economy where one furu drinking slowpoke will wake up and increase tax without taking into consideration that these companies provide their own security and power, it ain’t easy naa.

That’s why Nigerians can never get the best products especially the telecommunications industry because most companies need to compromise in quality so as keep up with the cost of running their companies and still make profit.
abeg, no be this kind of investment we need. We don't need people that will import and resale.
We need pple that will bring in machines, manufacture in Nigeria and create jobs.

Bye bye to Mr price. Good riddance to bad rubbish
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by obstead200(m): 6:02pm On Jun 27, 2020
Gerrard59:

my brother, I know that in principle this qualifies as an FDI. But in essence, someone who is not bringing in machines to manufacture here in Naija did not really bring in FDI
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by pretyval: 7:51pm On Jun 27, 2020
Bye
Re: Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria by Agadinaagwuofe: 8:16pm On Jun 27, 2020
Wizygreat12:
draw

Bros you na confirm Punter, sorry man utd spoil the ticket...I didnt play it just decided to follow the game, just mention me anytime you get the same type of game..Kudos bro those draws na confirm.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

FG Shuts Illegal Online Banks, Freezes Business Accounts / Sallah: Rams Everywhere, No Money To Buy / Pics Of Crying Emeka Offor Being Consoled By Dignitaries At His Father's Burial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.