Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,760 members, 7,831,447 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:48 PM

From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery (781 Views)

How I Replied A Customer That Promise To Get Back To Me( Read Chat) / Hon. Gumi Launches Phase II Of Empowerment And Peace Programme / The Promise Of Dangote’s $12bn Refinery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by Nobody: 2:34am On Jun 28, 2020
There are many business organizations in the world today saying they want to empower the less privileged in the society, but last week i discovered something really strange in their operations.
A woman i know in my street often goes to the market to sell besides the main road and she's been doing this for years according to her neighbours, three days ago some women about five of them came to attack her with sticks at home, so when i saw her landlord who happens to be my friend there i went closer to know what my friend was doing in the midst of these women who are all fierce looking holding sticks in their hands. There i was made to understand that my friends tenant borrow money to do business from a micro finance group called 'GROOMINGS' but she has refused to pay back. That's when i realized that the women came from a supposed reputable organization.
So i asked the woman why she behaved in that manner, her response brought tears to my eyes! cry
She's been borrowing money from this group for years now after the death of her husband, her brother (a teacher) used to stand as her guarantor, but the last money she collected was during February and she's been paying back gradually until the Covid19 pandemic struck, this disrupted her income throughout the month of April (during the general lockdown) she couldn't meet up ever since then, her brother who stood as her guarantor lost his job since schools are on hold and her wares are not essential commodities that people are buying now.

So the women with sticks came to attack her not my friend, i learnt two of them are from the GROOMING office while the rest are just members who also used to borrow money from the group. I asked the two ladies from GROOMING office what is the policy of there group when a good partner like my neighbour finds herself in this situation. One of them (Credit Officer) said "The policy gives debtors no option than to keep paying" then i asked if this woman ever defaulted in paying? They all became silent, then my neighbour said "i have never defaulted, not even once sir" so i said "that means this woman (referring to my neighbour) supposed to be your good partner in business, she ought not to be treated like this" another landlord came up and asked the two ladies from GROOMING what could be done to assist their partner then the (Business Manager) said "the only thing grooming need is her death certificate" by this time more neighbours have joined us, so they were all surprised!
The woman suddenly become worthless to GROOMING to the point they now want her death certificate! embarassed
So i told both the Credit Officer said Business Manager from GROOMING to give her rescheduling at least for few weeks, my intention is to find ways to start paying at least to assist my widow neighbour. But to my shocking surprise the two GROOMING officials totally disagreed, i even promised to follow them to their office perhaps to stand for her but they were both adamant on the issue of her death certificate.
This really got me totally annoyed so i decided to leave the scene while they kept shouting, humiliating and intimidating my helpless widow neighbour.

Please have anyone on this forum seen this before?
My interest is the current pandemic that's causing economic breakdown throughout the world today and the way some rich ones are hiding their faces to enslave their neighbours!
Everyone in her yard kept saying she's hard working and industrious if not for the current lockdown that has affected virtually all forms of business.
What can we do as fellow Nigerians to help our neighbours in this situation?
Are these so called Poverty Alleviation or Empowerment programs really out to help the less privileged or
Enslave them?

Because the two GROOMING officials were so emphatic about the death certificate of my neighbour who is still very much alive!

It's like to this credit group her life worths nothing in comparison to the money they borrowed her! embarassed

3 Likes

Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by budaatum: 3:55am On Jun 28, 2020
There is a reason these sort of loans are called gbọmu le lantan, put your breast on a lantern. It's to denote the struggle one must go through to pay up, sadly.

The idea is, you borrow as part of a group so that if you do not pay, the others in your group will make you or their own breasts will be on a lantern too.

They are not poverty alleviating, but a loan shark business!

2 Likes

Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by anthonyuncle(m): 4:18am On Jun 28, 2020
this so called grooming group should be reported to authorities.

how can someone default in just one payment & thier only consolation is that person's death?
is it a secret cult?
was this included in their terms and conditions while applying?

maybe this your neighbor is not totally sincere to all about her involvement with this people. because their act on her looks like an open dissolution of the membership of a witch group!

btw,
it's better to be broke than to seek for cooperate loans

2 Likes

Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by Nobody: 7:47am On Jun 28, 2020
anthonyuncle:
this so called grooming group should be reported to authorities.

how can someone default in just one payment & thier only consolation is that person's death?
is it a secret cult?
was this included in their terms and conditions while applying?

maybe this your neighbor is not totally sincere to all about her involvement with this people. because their act on her looks like an open dissolution of the membership of a witch group!

btw,
it's better to be broke than to seek for cooperate loans

The problem she has is about her goods, you know we all deal in different types of goods, she's into clothing and shoes which only moves during festivities and social gathering.

So the current situation is what gave her the problem. The social distancing order has made most people turn off from buying none essential goods that aren't needed often.
Going by what we got from them, she has never defaulted for once, i even called her brother to ask further, the young man said it's because he lost his teaching job due to the pandemic, and he has been to their office three times to beg for a reschedule of the loan or reduction of the weekly pay so that the woman could meet up but they declined both suggestion.
What really baffles me is how this useless group even ignore or rejected the speech of the Nigerian President and Senate that all loans should be suspended or taken with consideration because the economy is down.
The issue gave me sleepless nights since that day as i keep thinking how to assist this widow now that i'm also broke.
If i could lay my hands on any business now, i won't mind paying them off and warn them never to see their faces in the estate again because the useless Business Manager and the heartless Credit Officer almost got me annoyed to the extent of doing something rash.
It's one of my neighbours calling me Pastor that reminded me that as one of Jehovah's Witnesses i supposed not to fight those useless sadists.
They were actually demanding for the death certificate of a living person even when she's ever been loyal to the group.
To me it's nothing but confirmed slavery! embarassed

2 Likes

Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by Nobody: 7:47am On Jun 28, 2020
budaatum:
There is a reason these sort of loans are called gbọmu le lantan, put your breast on a lantern. It's to denote the struggle one must go through to pay up, sadly.

The idea is, you borrow as part of a group so that if you do not pay, the others in your group will make you or their own breasts will be on a lantern too.

They are not poverty alleviating, but a loan shark business!

Thanks Buda, that's why i said From Promise Of Empowerment to Enslavement ! embarassed

Before they were doing human trafficking to carry our people abroad for slavery and prostitution but now they're ENSLAVING our people under our own nose! undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by budaatum: 8:03am On Jun 28, 2020
Maximus69:

Thanks Buda, that's why i said From Promise Of Empowerment to Enslavement ! embarassed

Before they were doing human trafficking to carry our people abroad for slavery and prostitution but now they're ENSLAVING our people under our own nose! undecided
"They", Max? Did "they" come from Mars?

Say "us". For it is a fact that it is us who captured our own people and sold us to those who would take us abroad as slaves and prostitution, and the sooner we understand that the sooner we can begin fighting for our freedom from those amongst us who enslave us.

2 Likes

Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by Nobody: 8:23am On Jun 28, 2020
budaatum:

"They", Max? Did "they" come from Mars?

Say "us". For it is a fact that it is us who captured our own people and sold us to those who would take us abroad as slaves and prostitution, and the sooner we understand that the sooner we can begin fighting for our freedom from those amongst us who enslave us.

That's true buda, what really touched my soul is the way this woman was crying with her two children grabbing her yet this witches continue humiliating her all because of something less than 200k.
My soul couldn't stand the sight because it's inhumane to me!
I just pray that the ongoing economic meltdown picks up again, but that group will not go unpunished for the way they're ENSLAVING our people.
I'm thinking of going to their office on Monday to verify if truthfully their group have no consideration for loyal partners like my neighbour who has been loyal to them for years.

1 Like

Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jun 28, 2020
They came to street adjacent to my place one day and almost caused chaos as the boys in the area came to the rescue of the couple they came to attack. They were about 15 women in number trying to hold a couple in hostage but the boys got irritated and drove them all away.
The next day they came with the Police and the matter almost escalated to something really big because the boys came out again and insisted the Police will kill if they want to take the woman away because her husband is not in.
Please is there no other way they can go about this thing without this barbaric act?
Nigeria already had enough trouble, most people are hungry and angry so any mistreatment or agitation can easily lead to war now! embarassed embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jun 28, 2020
TATIME:
They came to street adjacent to my place one day and almost caused chaos as the boys in the area came to the rescue of the couple they came to attack. They were about 15 women in number trying to hold a couple in hostage but the boys got irritated and drove them all away.
The next day they came with the Police and the matter almost escalated to something really big because the boys came out again and insisted the Police will kill if they want to take the woman away because her husband is not in.
Please is there no other way they can go about this thing without this barbaric act?
Nigeria already had enough trouble, most people are hungry and angry so any mistreatment or agitation can easily lead to war now! embarassed embarassed embarassed

It's just modern day slavery and nothing more! undecided
Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by budaatum: 7:13pm On Jun 28, 2020
TATIME:
There is a way, Tatime. Educate people to not take these exploitative loans and lobby for cheaper loans to be made available to them.
Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jun 28, 2020
budaatum:

There is a way, Tatime. Educate people to not take these exploitative loans and lobby for cheaper loans to be made available to them.
There is no way you can educate people on this, they need to survive and there is no one to lend them the needed cash to do business.
The government only need to cut the wings of the perpetrators of this evil deeds. We keep money for three reasons and the third according to economists is for more money. But there is always a better way to handle issues so that things doesn't get out of hand.
If this should happen where boys in the neighbourhood are angry, even the entire Nigerian army will not be able to quench the consequence when it escalates.
We already having issues with insurgents, militants, headsmen, one million boys and so on. All these are fighting unjustly but in the case where people believe they're fighting for a just course, most people will continue to contribute by saying things that could fuel the fire.
Nigerians are used to cures not prevention, to repairs not maintainance, if these matter should get out of hand, that's when our government will start spending money to calm it.
Now is the time to call all money lenders to order on their operations because there is economic meltdown. Otherwise we will all suffer the consequences when it turns out to be unstoppable unquestionable! embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by budaatum: 8:42pm On Jun 28, 2020
TATIME:
There is no way you can educate people on this, they need to survive and there is no one to lend them the needed cash to do business.
You underestimate my abilities, Tat, but first. "Calling all money lenders to order on their operation" sounds like telling satan to please stop tempting humans. Reputable money lending operations might comply, but you must have heard of loan sharks giving very high interest loans to the vulnerable.

There is a way I can educate people on this, and I constantly do by pointing out to them the high interest on such loans (usually above 20%), and the likely probability of them not making such returns on their investment of money borrowed at such rates, and even not making the principle.

I call it the Jesus way. He too, I suppose, could have asked satan to stop tempting people, but he rather taught his followers to resist temptation instead. For while it is written that "the poor shall almost be amongst us", evidence would suggest that so to would the tempter.
Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jun 28, 2020
budaatum:

You underestimate my abilities, Tat, but first. "Calling all money lenders to order on their operation" sounds like telling satan to please stop tempting humans. Reputable money lending operations might comply, but you must have heard of loan sharks giving very high interest loans to the vulnerable.

There is a way I can educate people on this, and I constantly do by pointing out to them the high interest on such loans (usually above 20%), and the likely probability of them not making such returns on their investment of money borrowed at such rates, and even not making the principle.

I call it the Jesus way. He too, I suppose, could have asked satan to stop tempting people, but he rather taught his followers to resist temptation instead. For while it is written that "the poor shall almost be amongst us", evidence would suggest that so to would the tempter.

This has nothing to do with FAITH, it's about preventing impending calamity that can strike at anytime.
Wars start gradually when a large number of people are asking for justice that's been denied.
So in order to avoid such catastrophe, the authorities need to checkmate the system! embarassed
Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by budaatum: 11:06pm On Jun 28, 2020
Maximus69:

This has nothing to do with FAITH, it's about preventing impending calamity that can strike at anytime.
Wars start gradually when a large number of people are asking for justice that's been denied.
So in order to avoid such catastrophe, the authorities need to checkmate the system! embarassed
Indeed, it has nothing at all to do with faith nor did I say it did, which is why I pointed to Christ's teachings and its power to increase one in ability.

Some may pray to authorities as you do while some will use the power in themselves that the knowledge of Christ's teaching imbues them with to effect the change they wish to see. It is after all what Christ taught us to do.
Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by kkins25(m): 11:39pm On Jun 28, 2020
oh this brings back memories....loading
Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by stacyadams: 1:35am On Jun 29, 2020
kkins25:
oh this brings back memories....loading

Pls tell us
Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jun 30, 2020
Experience please! undecided
Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:33am On Aug 09, 2020
Maximus69:
Experience please! undecided

What would you do with people experiences when you or Jehovah cannot render solution?

1 Like

Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by budaatum: 11:02am On Aug 09, 2020
This article discusses the problem posed in this thread and asks if we should “Extend and Pretend” forevermore.

Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by budaatum: 11:05am On Aug 09, 2020
FOLYKAZE:

[s]What would you do with people experiences when you or Jehovah cannot render solution?[/s]
He wisely asked everyone who cares regardless of whether you are Jehovah Witness or not, and he more wisely refused to jump to your bait!
Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:13am On Aug 09, 2020
budaatum:

He wisely asked everyone who cares regardless of whether you are Jehovah Witness or not, and he more wisely refused to jump to your bait!

Please Buda, stay away from this.

Jw have denied millions of people chance to live because of doctrine against blood transfusion. Many children are been abused and the act covered up in that organisation.

What would Maximus69 do with people experience when he cannot proffer solutions? Why are we talking about people dilemma when we can't help them out? Orisa bi o le gbe mi, fimile bi mo se wa.

1 Like

Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by budaatum: 11:35am On Aug 09, 2020
FOLYKAZE:

Please Buda, stay away from this.

Jw have denied millions of people chance to live because of doctrine against blood transfusion. Many children are been abused and the act covered up in that organisation.

What would Maximus69 do with people experience when he cannot proffer solutions? Why are we talking about people dilemma when we can't help them out? Orisa bi o le gbe mi, fimile bi mo se wa.
I do not think your powers extend to telling buda what to do or not do.

First, JW do not force anyone to accept any of their doctrines nor do they deny anyone blood transfusion, there are many JWs who have accepted it when needed. And almost all organisations have been recorded to have abused children and covered it up, so that's not unique to JWs.

You mentioned the word "we". And Maximus was not here proffering a solution but seeking one from all of us "we", which is why, "we", and not only JWs, are talking about it with the hope that our collective reasoning could come up with a solution, but your own contribution is a complete disregard of that fact and a juvenile irrelevant attack of JWs and blood transfusion as if the topic of the thread is a JW problem and blood transfusion is it's cure!

Ti orisa kan ko ba gbe ọ, lọ wa orisa o miran! I use "orisa" here to mean, 'one way of reasoning'. Your current one can not possibly gbe ọ, and it definitely does not gbe we as it adds nothing to our collective welfare!

2 Likes

Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:36am On Aug 09, 2020
budaatum:

I do not think your powers extend to telling buda what to do or not do.

First, JW do not force anyone to accept any of their doctrines nor do they deny anyone blood transfusion, there are many JWs who have accepted it when needed. And almost all organisations have been recorded to have abused children and covered it up, so that's not unique to JWs.

You mentioned the word "we". And Maximus was not here proffering a solution but seeking one from all of us "we", which is why, "we", and not only JWs, are talking about it with the hope that our collective reasoning could come up with a solution, but your own contribution is a complete disregard of that fact and a juvenile irrelevant attack of JWs and blood transfusion as if the topic of the thread is a JW problem and blood transfusion is it's cure!

Ti orisa kan ko ba gbe ọ, lọ wa orisa o miran! I use "orisa" here to mean, 'one way of reasoning'. Your current one can not possibly gbe ọ, and it definitely does not gbe we as it adds nothing to our collective welfare!

Ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by budaatum: 11:37am On Aug 09, 2020
FOLYKAZE:

Ok
Respect.

*Edited because of the response below!
Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:14pm On Aug 09, 2020
What we have here?

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/quotes/charity.php

JW runned by heartless and wicked human. Any reason why their members brought the dilemma of a poor woman who isn't jw member to public for mockery.

Maximus69, do not bring people issue to the public for mockery if you cannot help them. We know Jehovah cannot help none jw. Why mock them again?
Re: From Promise Of Empowerment To Slavery by Nobody: 4:09pm On Aug 13, 2020
budaatum:

Respect.

*Edited because of the response below!

I didn't notice those people harassing the woman it's the noise of the boys in my street that made me came out, and seeing my friend (fellow landlord) in their midst made me move closer, of course i did something but that's not what i'm here to publicise, what pained me is how those women were insisting on molesting the poor widow simply because there's nobody to give them money instantly.
Jehovah's Witnesses are well trained, if not due to divine wisdom i could have made a direct transfer immediately, but who knows the intention of all those standing by?
Once you can do that on the spot means anytime and anywhere you can make transfer on your mobile. Well that's unwise! wink

Some people just hate the truth!
So maturity will prove itself anywhere and anytime! Luke 7:35 smiley

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Cheap Coconut For Sale In Large Quantity / Need Advise On Business / Share From The Money Pornsites Are Making Doing ABSOLUTELY Nothing (1000$/week)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.