Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,134 members, 7,849,552 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 12:26 AM

Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba (1975 Views)

People Who Hated Niger Because Of Hatred For Buhari Now Its Best Lovers - Omokri / Iwuanyanwu: There Is No War Between Igbo And Yoruba / APC Reconstructing Lagos Guber Election As "War" Between Igbo & Yoruba - Soyombo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by mystery22: 12:53pm On Jun 28, 2020
Exclusive101:
Keep your tales of woos for your unborn generation to relive all over again. Yoruba no be una papa mate ask Ojukwu, ask Azikiwe. [s][/s]
see this thing..put your money where your is...Biafra vs odua..parasites that hate staying alone..all your hopeless fathers do is wail..you things are not creative,"aole curse" will keep following you things till eternity..lovers of slavery..you things know that odua nation will end up like poor Benin republic that leave off nigeria to survive..from nigeria to Benin you clowns are parasites..I spit on you things..hopeless tribe.keep back stabbing us..

Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by knowledgeable: 2:14pm On Jun 28, 2020
Timmi:
HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE OF HATRED BETWEEN IGBO AND YORUBA
I had the privilege of attending some meetings of the Yoruba and Igbo Leaders. I was not a leader but a youth who knew how to wash his hands.
At one of those meetings in Owerri, I think in 1989, I think, I listened to Uncle Bola Ige and other Yoruba Leaders take the likes of Mbakwe, R. B. Okafor and others to the cleaners when the Igbo said the Yoruba were betrayers, citing that Chief Obafemi Awolowo led them into secession with a promise that if the Igbo left Nigeria, the Yoruba would follow suit.
They accused him of not following up on his promise. Trust Uncle Bola Ige! He pointed to Chief Mbakwe and said, "you were there in the meeting between Awolowo and Ojukwu as I was. Is that statement correct?".He turned to two other Igbo and two Yoruba Leaders who were at that meeting and asked the same question, saying he had transcripts of the meeting between Awolowo and Ojukwu.
They kept quiet while the Yoruba Leaders affirmed that Awolowo never promised to follow the East into secession. What he said was that if the Igbo were "driven" out of Nigeria the Yoruba would take it seriously and reassess their own position. Igbo Leaders DID NOT CONTEST this version.
Then Chief Bola Ige threw in the clincher! "Who are you to accuse the Yoruba of betrayal?" he roared, and continued:
1. At Independence Awolowo offered a joint government between the NCNC and AG, with Zik as Prime Minister and Awo as Finance Minister. Awo and Zik "were still negotiating" when it was announced that Zik would be President in a coalition with NPC of the North. The East then collaborated in destroying the West and sending Awolowo and his leutenants to jail!
2. What of the 1965 elections which the West and the East agreed to boycott? We met all night and reached agreement about 3am on the day of the election. In the morning, while the Yoruba boycotted the election, the Igbo went to vote
3. After the 1979 elections Yoruba (UPN) and Igbo (APP?) Leaders were still at the negotiating table for a coalition when to their surprise, an announcement was heard that the Igbo (APP) had agreed to a coalition with the North (NPN)
4. After the 1983 elections, 1979 repeated itself. Not giving up, Awolowo reached out to Azikiwe again for cooperation. Talks started and they met in Benin where Awo pleaded passionately that only a collaboration between The Igbo and the Yoruba could save Nigeria. They didn't reach agreement but promised to meet again. Before the next meeting, the Igbo had again teamed up with the North.
Uncle Bola paused and then continued "we can go on and on. So how dare you accuse the Yoruba of betrayal? How many Igbo have been killed in Lagos, Ibadan, Akure, Oshogbo (he mentioned other Yoruba towns)? You have your businesses in the West and went to Western schools. Yet you count the Yoruba as your enemy. You get killed in Kaduna, Kano, Bauchi, Zaria etc and have your goods looted yet you consider the Hausa/ Fulani your friends. It's your choice. If you want to be slaves for ever, we can't help you"
I had never been so scared in my life. I thought the roof was going to fall. There was a pin drop silence and no Igbo dared interrupt Uncle Bola Ige because he was telling the truth. The Yoruba Leaders ended the meeting at that point and left. I hope Chief C. O. Adebayo's memoirs will give more details of those exchanges.
Now to make three points from all this:
A. The Yoruba have been stretching their hand across the Niger for a handshake for a long time. The Igbo refused to take it for a long time until recently
B. Many Igbo Leaders of the 70s, 80s and 90s deliberately perpetrated the legend of Awolowo's role betraying them into the civil war and his role in prosecuting the war, to rally the Igbo population behind themselves. The Igbo agreed on Yoruba hatred than on any other issue. So it was the fabric that held them together for a long time
C. Time heals all things. Many Igbo reading this will be hearing for the first time that their leaders of old knew for a truth that Awolowo did not break his word to Ojukwu as alleged.
And to think of it, EVEN IF OUR PARENTS QUARRELLED, SHOULD WE THE NEW GENERATION CONTINUE THE SAME WAY?.
ITS TIME TO COME TOGETHER AND MAKE THE HANDSHAKE ACROSS THE NIGER WORK FOR THE SAKE OF OUR PEOPLES AND NIGERIA
Copied from "FRIENDS IKOYI CLUB 1938" Forum posted by Adenike Marinho, a Medical Doctor.

Mr or Mrs historian listen: Even if this your historical narrative is 100% factual, the actual truth of the whole picture as it happened in the past, presently and possibly in the future can be extracted from the socio-political dynamics playing itself out today in Nigeria, thanks to the age of internet/ information technology.

Igbos now understand deeply the dynamics from the triple heritage of Yoruba people (Yoruba/African religion, Islam and Christianity), and the roles these elements play in relations with Yorubas and other groups big or small with more emphasis on politics and political alliances over a time line.

Your value systems derived from this triple heritage have already explained to some degree how you navigate politically. Considering that your above narrative is 100% factual, resulting in this endless fighting between Igbos and Yorubas, what historical narrative can you come up with between Yorubas and Hausa Fulani, and will there be endless fighting between the Yorubas & Hausa/fulani in social media like the Igbos?

I guess, the point am trying to make here, is this, Yorubas must always approach their relationship to Igbos with a different yardstick to that of Hausa/fulani no matter what.
Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by Exclusive101: 2:15pm On Jun 28, 2020
No wonder your wretched fathers keep trooping into Yoruba to salvage their souls n that is your mother.
mystery22:
see this thing..put your money where your is...Biafra vs odua..parasites that hate staying alone..all your hopeless fathers do is wail..you things are not creative,"aole curse" will keep following you things till eternity..lovers of slavery..you things know that odua nation will end up like poor Benin republic that leave off nigeria to survive..from nigeria to Benin you clowns are parasites..I spit on you things..hopeless tribe.keep back stabbing us..

1 Like

Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by mystery22: 2:35pm On Jun 28, 2020
Exclusive101:
No wonder your wretched fathers keep trooping into Yoruba to salvage their souls n that is your mother.
which yoruba land,because nobody comes to your skull mining ogun state..and Lagos belongs to aworis tongue, aworis have severally stated that they are not Yoruba,they have spat on your fathers,vomited on them,disgraced them yet yorubas can't live without them.your fathers even made one them governor so that they will accept them,still they hate you guys,now imagine if you lost the war like we did,lagos/ondo would have been removed from south west and put in "west west" region just like they did to us...you people are parasites that needs others to survive,attachee by force,when fashola was deporting you clowns why didn't you claim "we lagosian". aworis loves us and sell land to us but Yoruba ritualist will be wailing everywhere..hopeless parasites.from Benin republic to Nigeria same story, parasites..

Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by T9ksy(m): 3:24pm On Jun 28, 2020
mystery22:
[s]which yoruba land,because nobody comes to your skull mining ogun state..and Lagos belongs to aworis tongue, aworis have severally stated that they are not Yoruba,they have spat on your fathers,vomited on them,disgraced them yet yorubas can't live without them.your fathers even made one them governor so that they will accept them,still they hate you guys,now imagine if you lost the war like we did,lagos/ondo would have been removed from south west and put in "west west" region just like they did to us...you people are parasites that needs others to survive,attachee by force,when fashola was deporting you clowns why didn't you claim "we lagosian". aworis loves us and sell land to us but Yoruba ritualist will be wailing everywhere..hopeless parasites.from Benin republic to Nigeria same story, parasites[/s].

Btw, when you wrote Lagos, which one are you referring to? Is it lagos island or lagos state?

At any rate, what language is "Awori"? And what's the meaning of the word, awori?
Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by mystery22: 3:38pm On Jun 28, 2020
T9ksy:

Btw, when you wrote Lagos, which one are you referring to? Is it lagos island or lagos state?

At any rate, what language is "Awori"? And what's the meaning of the word, awori?
Lagos island is the real Lagos,your fathers created new Lagos to attach their miserable self to aworis,even till now people in Lagos still call island the real lagos..aworis speaks awori tongue, stop attaching yourselves to aworis they will never love u guys,they are higher than Yoruba's and they know you yarribas are parasites that can't stay alone.one awori man almost fought me when I told him he behaves like a typical Yoruba man,these people hate you guys like mad,some ijebu people self deny the Yoruba tag...better develop ekiti-Ogun and the rest state it stinks... Lagos will be made independent soon.

Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by T9ksy(m): 4:04pm On Jun 28, 2020
mystery22:
Lagos island is the real Lagos,your fathers created new Lagos to attach their miserable self to aworis,even till now people in Lagos still call island the real lagos..aworis speaks awori tongue, stop attaching yourselves to aworis they will never love u guys,they are higher than Yoruba's and they know you yarribas are parasites that can't stay alone.one awori man almost fought me when I told him he behaves like a typical Yoruba man,these people hate you guys like mad,some ijebu people self deny the Yoruba tag...better develop ekiti-Ogun and the rest state it stinks... Lagos will be made independent soon.

Young man, take a chill pill, na grin All these your vituperation are quiet gratuitous, na. Not good for your bloop pressure, either.

At the end of it all, you still didn't answer my question which is "what does Awori means"?

Am certain, you ibos can't wait to liberate lagos. Oh well, goodluck.......................................in your futile endeavour.

1 Like

Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by mystery22: 4:54pm On Jun 28, 2020
T9ksy:

Young man, take a chill pill, na grin All these your vituperation are quiet gratuitous, na. Not good for your bloop pressure, either.

At the end of it all, you still didn't answer my question which is "what does Awori means"?

Am certain, you ibos can't wait to liberate lagos. Oh well, goodluck.......................................in your futile endeavour.
yes Lagos will be independent whenever odu republic is actualized,better get use to reality,aworis will never join Yoruba in odua to avoid marginalization..
Awori is awori just like Yoruba is yoruba.stop forcing yourself on them,they hate you guys with passion..they keep denying the Yoruba tag just like egun people..develop your state and leave Lagos for aworis,land grabbers
Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by XAUBulls: 12:48am On Nov 24, 2023
Exclusive101:
You despicable soul never cease to amze me.
Are we talking about this same foolish Ojukwu that slaved his pathetic miserable life away for his Fulani lord n savior?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8V2Z05Z8JQ

Bump.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Questions Unannounced Departure Of Presidential Jet To Switzerland / RE: 20 Members Needed- Update / It Has Been Discovered That The Staff Of The Oba Was Not Stolen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.