Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,122 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

What Is The Way Going Forward? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Is The Way Going Forward? (546 Views)

Digital Skill Is No Longer The Way Forward / How Has Programming Changed Your Life And The Way You Think? / Ripping Banks The Way They Rip Customers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Way Going Forward? by ozone29(m): 12:42pm On Jun 28, 2020
Hello everyone, I started learning how to code last year. Before I started to learn I researched for an entry point and what I saw online encouraged me to start with html, css, JavaScript, angular, node.js and express. So I decided to make a portfolio to showcase what I have learnt so far. This is the link

https://findstanleyogbonna.herokuapp.com

Please, I want to be sure of myself because I'm confused. Should I start applying for jobs or should I keep learning and not apply yet but if I should start applying for jobs how do I go about it because I have already sent out some applications but I got zero reply.
Re: What Is The Way Going Forward? by stanliwise(m): 12:47pm On Jun 28, 2020
ozone29:
Hello everyone, I started learning how to code last year. Before I started to learn I researched for an entry point and what I saw online encouraged me to start with html, css, JavaScript, angular, node.js and express. So I decided to make a portfolio to showcase what I have learnt so far. This is the link

https://findstanleyogbonna.herokuapp.com

Please, I want to be sure of myself because I'm confused. Should I start applying for jobs or should I keep learning and not apply yet but if I should start applying for jobs how do I go about it because I have already sent out some applications but I got zero reply.
I suggest you channel your energy to full time frontend coding. You look more like a frontend dev rather than a full stack in my opinion. Any my name sake happy Sunday.
Re: What Is The Way Going Forward? by ozone29(m): 1:13pm On Jun 28, 2020
More than 70% of jobs that I've seen all are full stack. I think being only a front-end dev will make matters worse for me.
Re: What Is The Way Going Forward? by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:58pm On Jun 28, 2020
If you feel you are very confident In your skills start applying to jobs. I checked your website, I like it but please remove the ratings. Let them rate you at the interview. Set a target to apply to at least 10 jobs a day everyday. Start preparing for coding interviews. Learn data structures and algorithms and start solving questions on them. Also look up past questions that big tech companies use and start to solve them. Leetcode, hackerrank, algoexpert should be the focus till you land a job.

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Way Going Forward? by bassdow: 9:17pm On Jun 28, 2020
ozone29:
More than 70% of jobs that I've seen all are full stack. I think being only a front-end dev will make matters worse for me.

Jack of all Trades === Less than Average Baked

Most people who call themselves Full Stack aren't even close to average programmers - they just Hype themselves to be Seen as Good enough for Hire.

A few (if not most) who actually are Full Stack didn't become that in 3-years.

I suggest you start with the simplest (that should be HTML) and ride from there.

Start from HTML then quickly introduce CSS (try to avoid Frameworks) and hold on to them actively for like 2-years.
It's okay to take on small projects (Free and/ or Paid) so you get challenged along the line.

I know there are Ready-Made templates, it's cool to use them sometimes but also learn to Di-sect them as that way, you get to learn more than what you already know.

While doing all the above, learn WordPress (I say LEARN) beyond just installing readyMade themes & Plugins.

I myself never learnt wordpress but then, you're not Me.

All the above should cost you over (or at least) 2-years.

If you're Actively studying, Practicing and doing demo projects honestly the first year, you shouldn't have much issues taking on very light projects the second year.

After the second year, look for a company to employ you - I say this because you would need difficult challenges - there's a difference between choosing a Task to Do VS being assigned a Task to Do + you begin having a taste of Varying Real Life problems of which you're to solve.

At these point, you would have discovered (without being told) if you're a front-end Or Back-end material.

All through to this point, ensure you don't bother learning any JavaScript. I actually learnt JavaScript in bits (while fixing errors on existing ones or modifying them) so much I didn't realize when I have learnt a lot.

From the above stage, things starts becoming clearer to You and when you ask questions / recommendation / advice / suggestions / etc in here, those with viable Answers can respond to you.

Try jumping into programming like Most Nigerians do (including those who install a Plugin just to add Scroll to Top functionality) and you either Quit before long OR you start selling Nulled (pirated) scripts while also advertising programming Tutorials and How to become a Certified programmer in less than 2-weeks.

Programing is Fun but can be Frustrating a times even for those who love it.

PSS: A beginner using any sort of Framework is just wasting His or Her time. Leave Frameworks (whether Front-end e.g Bootstrap or Backend e.g Laravel) for when you already understands beyond the Basics.

Thanks and Good Luck

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Way Going Forward? by ozone29(m): 11:57pm On Jun 28, 2020
bassdow:

Most people who call themselves Full Stack aren't even close to average programmers - they just Hype themselves to be Good enough to be Hired.

I suggest you start with the simplest (that should be HTML) and ride from there.

Start from HTML then quickly introduce CSS (try to avoid Frameworks) and hold on to them actively for like 2-years.
It's okay to take on small projects (Free and/ or Paid) so you get challenged along the line.

I know there are Ready-Made templates, it's cool to use them sometimes but also learn to Di-sect them as that way, you get to learn more than what you already know.

While doing all the above, learn WordPress (I say LEARN) beyond just installing readyMade themes & Plugins.

If you're Actively studying, Practicing and doing demo projects honestly the first year, you shouldn't have much issues taking on very light projects the second year.

After the second year, look for a company to employ you - I say this because you would need difficult challenges - there's a difference between choosing a Task to Do VS being assigned a Task to Do + you begin having a taste of Varying Real Life problems of which you're to solve.

At these point, you would have discovered (without being told) if you're a front-end Or Back-end material.

All through to this point, ensure you don't bother learning any JavaScript. I actually learnt JavaScript in bits (while fixing errors on existing ones or modifying them) so much I didn't realize when I have learnt a lot.

From the above stage, things starts becoming clearer to You and when you ask questions / recommendation / advice / suggestions / etc in here, those with viable Answers can respond to you.

Try jumping into programming like Most Nigerians do (including those who install a Plugin just to add Scroll to Top functionality) and you either Quit before long OR you start selling Nulled (pirated) scripts while also advertising programming Tutorials and How to become a Certified programmer in less than 2-weeks.

PSS: A beginner using any sort of Framework is just wasting His or Her time. Leave Frameworks (whether Front-end e.g Bootstrap or Backend e.g Laravel) for when you already understands beyond the Basics.

Thanks and Good Luck

Thanks but I'm not entirely a beginner to programming though. I just want a clear and direct path to land myself a tech job.
From what I can see, I think learning wordpress like you said will be a total waste of time if you are not going to make a similar stuff like wordpress.
Re: What Is The Way Going Forward? by Taofeekdboy(m): 9:44am On Jun 29, 2020
bassdow:

Most people who call themselves Full Stack aren't even close to average programmers - they just Hype themselves to be Seen as Good enough for Hire.

Thanks and Good Luck
Yes , You are making sense. Full stack development is not easy as it takes so much time to understand some concepts, as you have said, it is good to stay away from frameworks as a beginner to fully understand how things work basically as it has improved me a lot but it is worthy to note that there are projects that you cannot build without the use of frameworks because it makes you write less code and increase your efficiency. Most of the senior software developers do use frameworks as well. using vanilla javascript to build complex websites will take you more days than using frameworks. You learn new things everyday

1 Like

Re: What Is The Way Going Forward? by ozone29(m): 5:39pm On Jun 29, 2020
Taofeekdboy:

Yes , You are making sense. Full stack development is not easy as it takes so much time to understand some concepts, as you have said, it is good to stay away from frameworks as a beginner to fully understand how things work basically as it has improved me a lot but it is worthy to note that there are projects that you cannot build without the use of frameworks because it makes you write less code and increase your efficiency. Most of the senior software developers do use frameworks as well. using vanilla javascript to build complex websites will take you more days than using frameworks. You learn new things everyday

Just like designing with bootstrap instead of native css. There is nothing wrong in doing that because time will be saved and it's a win for you and your customer. The issue here is you must understand native css before you can play with bootstrap.
Re: What Is The Way Going Forward? by bassdow: 7:26pm On Jun 29, 2020
ozone29:

Rarely do Average to Big companies look for All-in-One Multi-Purpose developers while hiring, it's mostly low paying clients who often wants to employ or hire a single individual to handle it all.

I know a lot (yet not Enough) yet I collaborate with others when working on certain kinds of projects - you can learn any language in less than 6-months BUT being Averagely good on any single Particular Language takes Years.

Pick a portion of the Niche and focus on being Great at it. Don't forget, the Computing field is a Fast Continuous Evolving profession which you need to keep up with in other to remain Relevant in the industry hence if you must hold onto multiple roles, better be sure they're worth the extra stress.

trust Me, you wouldn't easily know when you've added more to it.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Way Going Forward? by Karleb(m): 8:56pm On Jun 29, 2020
As per your website, it is good.

But my advice is: stick with 2 colors, if you want another color, go with the shades of your initial colors.

I mean, if you have blue color for example, the shades could be sky blue, navy blue, dark blue...

Presently, the site looks like a rainbow.
Re: What Is The Way Going Forward? by ozone29(m): 6:59am On Jun 30, 2020
Karleb:
As per your website, it is good.

But my advice is: stick with 2 colors, if you want another color, go with the shades of your initial colors.

I mean, if you have blue color for example, the shades could be sky blue, navy blue, dark blue...

Presently, the site looks like a rainbow.

Advice noted thanks
Re: What Is The Way Going Forward? by ozone29(m): 7:10am On Jun 30, 2020
bassdow:

Rarely do Average to Big companies look for All-in-One Multi-Purpose developers while hiring, it's mostly low paying clients who often wants to employ or hire a single individual to handle it all.

I know a lot (yet not Enough) yet I collaborate with others when working on certain kinds of projects - you can learn any language in less than 6-months BUT being Averagely good on any single Particular Language takes Years.

Pick a portion of the Niche and focus on being Great at it. Don't forget, the Computing field is a Fast Continuous Evolving profession which you need to keep up with in other to remain Relevant in the industry hence if you must hold onto multiple roles, better be sure they're worth the extra stress.

trust Me, you wouldn't easily know when you've added more to it.

You are absolutely right. The full stack ish is the one trending at the moment at least for employment purposes. No one human can be good in all fronts, it is highly impossible.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Way Going Forward? by soleexx(m): 8:06am On Jun 30, 2020
As a new developer, I dont think its easy to become a certified full stack within 2 years... Its very rare.. I mastered frontend for 4years before moving to Backbend... Still I don't consider myself as an officially fullstack yet... That's why I prefer to be frontend developer for now..

Just master your frontend first.. That's what motivate users to remain in your webpage..

Goodluck

(1) (Reply)

PHP Programmers, Please I Am Cofused With This Code / W / Restaurant Website I Built Using React Js

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.