Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,093 members, 7,818,281 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:48 AM

Boko Haram, Military In Fight To Finish In Borno - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram, Military In Fight To Finish In Borno (1323 Views)

Army Rescues 3,000 Civilians From Boko Haram - Military Sources Confirm / Atiku, Tinubu Fight To Control Apc-punch / Nigerian Military In Action At Buhari's Inauguration (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram, Military In Fight To Finish In Borno by ASANIGBO(m): 5:34am On Jan 31, 2011
Fear gripped residents of Maiduguri overnight on Saturday as the Boko Haram sect engaged the military in a fight to finish in different parts of the Borno State capital. As the war raged on, many of the residents were kept awake, fearing for their safety.

A policeman was also killed in another attack on Sunday afternoon at a checkpoint, prompting many residents to stay in-doors. The shooting started at about 8.30p.m around the Shehuri North-Custom area, in which the former enclave of the Boko Haram sect was located.

The gun battle lasted about two hours and continued in the early hours of Sunday. It was gathered that the trouble began when some gunmen opened fire on an army patrol vehicle around the area. A resident who lives in the area told Daily Sun on phone on Saturday night that he could not sleep because of the repeated shootings.

“I am restless now because the gun shots have refused to stop. I don’t even know what is happening and I cannot just go out with all my family members now because it is late. Who knows if these people (Boko Haram) are just on our street since my house is not far from the road,” the caller lamented. The 21 Armored Brigade Spokesman, Lt. Col. Abdullahi who confirmed the report said some gunmen had attacked soldiers on patrol in the metropolis on Saturday night. “As I am talking to you now, there is a shoot out around the Pompomari area,” he said.

It was further gathered that same gunmen in a car opened fire on three policemen at a checkpoint in Pompomari area on Sunday afternoon when they were stopped for the usual stop and search check, leading to the death of one of the policemen, a sergeant. “The gunmen numbering about four were in a car at about 12 noon. The car is ash colour and they just opened fire on the policemen at the checkpoint as soon as they were stopped. They even removed the car’s two number plates before they sped off,” an eyewitness told Daily Sun.

Meanwhile, no fewer than 18 persons suspected to be connected with last Friday’s killing had been arrested by the police in the state. The police claimed the suspects had ‘strong link’ with the killing of Gubio, ANPP governorship candidate and six others.

“We have every reason to believe these suspects have strong link with the last week’s murder of seven persons,” Police Public Relations (PPRO), ASP Abdullahi Lawal disclosed, adding that “investigation will soon commence.”
Daily Sun gathered that many of the Christians leaders had gone into hiding following alleged threat messages received by some of them during the week. The state Chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Rev. Yuguda Mdavrwa could not be reached on phone to confirm the purported threat messages as his phone was switched off.

Also, leaders of the Igbo socio-cultural group, Igbo Welfare Association (IWA) in the state were also said to have gone into hiding. They had threatened last week to leave the state en-masse if the alleged selective killings of their members did not abate and should the governor fail to employ new strategy to curtail the Boko Haram menace.
IWA President General, Chief Nnaka Okereke told Daily on phone that he had been advised to keep a low profile until further notice. “I’m sorry you can’t see me now, I have been advised to hide myself for now because our safety is very important,” he declared.

Meanwhile, a group of academics under the aegis of Coalition of North-east Academics for Democracy and Good Governance had called on the Federal Government to declare a state of emergency in Plateau and Borno states.
The group said the call became imperative following what it described as “unbridled and wanton destruction of lives and property” in the two states, a development which it said had made life very short, brutish and worthless for the citizenry.

“From all indications, the Federal Government is avoiding declaration of state of emergency in the two states which have of late earned for themselves the inglorious reputation as the most dangerous places in West Africa along side the Niger Delta, ostensibly for fear of negative political implications as the 2011 general elections draw near and the strong influence of the governors of Plateau and Borno states in the Aso Villa,” a statement signed by the President of the group, Dr. Mohammed Gujbawu and made available to Daily Sun on Sunday in Maiduguri stated.
Gujbawu said only declaration of emergency rule would bring down tension and high rate of insecurity in the two states, stressing that a more holistic approach was required to address the insecurity, especially in Borno where serial killers suspected to be of Boko Haram had laid siege on the state.

The coalition urged President Goodluck Jonathan to send an executive communication without further delay, seeking immediate and total declaration of state of emergency in the two states to save lives and property of innocent citizens.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/jan/31/national-31-01-2011-001.htm
Re: Boko Haram, Military In Fight To Finish In Borno by EzeUche2(m): 5:53am On Jan 31, 2011
This is crazy! I pray that the Boko Haram menace does not spread.
Re: Boko Haram, Military In Fight To Finish In Borno by Obiagu1(m): 6:36am On Jan 31, 2011
If Nigeria should lose control of Bornu State to Boko Haram, then the formation of Sharia republic of Northern Nigeria is around the corner as they'll seek to conquer the whole sharia states and even the south but, hahaha, Yoruba man will follow Igbo man fight by force else . . .
Re: Boko Haram, Military In Fight To Finish In Borno by ShangoThor(m): 12:00pm On Jan 31, 2011
Obiagu1:

If Nigeria should lose control of Bornu State to Boko Haram, then the formation of Sharia republic of Northern Nigeria is around the corner as they'll seek to conquer the whole sharia states and even the south but, hahaha, Yoruba man will follow Igbo man fight by force else . . .

Let's bury our heads in the sand, ignore the situation, it might go away. This is the best plan! LOL
Re: Boko Haram, Military In Fight To Finish In Borno by otokx(m): 12:18pm On Jan 31, 2011
GEJ should send in the ARMY to repel these foreign elements from our country.
Re: Boko Haram, Military In Fight To Finish In Borno by LoveKing(m): 12:49pm On Jan 31, 2011
When i was calling for SOE Papabrowne was saying something else.
Re: Boko Haram, Military In Fight To Finish In Borno by seanet03: 1:58pm On Jan 31, 2011
@ezeuche,YOU have spoken the truth. This people should be decimated quickly
Re: Boko Haram, Military In Fight To Finish In Borno by 1025: 2:04pm On Jan 31, 2011
can someone help me tell jonathan to give the northerners their presidential zoning right of pdp and save us all these unjustified killings. in wealth, one yr is good enough for jonathan to make all the money he will need in his life time. even his transactions with jega is enough for him.
let him give out some criminal contracts and make his money and let us have the peace we deserve as a pupil.
Re: Boko Haram, Military In Fight To Finish In Borno by Pennywise(m): 2:13pm On Jan 31, 2011
I have faith in the ability of the Nigerian Army to contain menace. The most ruthless Army in Africa (if not the world). Dont mess with them.

Thankfully the problem is not being entrusted to the Nigerian police
Re: Boko Haram, Military In Fight To Finish In Borno by solihu(m): 2:33pm On Jan 31, 2011
@ 1025
Bros I commot cap for dat your suggestion o! You wish! But bowler hat man knows how sweet that coveted seat is, wetin you want make im tell dame 'grammar' patience?

You ever thought he cared or gave a hoot about the polity? The thing is all about greed.
Some people here on NL in a thread are even saying there isn't any need to declare state of emergency.
Re: Boko Haram, Military In Fight To Finish In Borno by MaiSuya(m): 2:41pm On Jan 31, 2011
Hmmm, this is seroius. . . shocked
Re: Boko Haram, Military In Fight To Finish In Borno by violent(m): 2:53pm On Jan 31, 2011
otokx:

GEJ should send in the ARMY to repel these foreign elements from our country.

Is the military not a part of the Army? undecided
Re: Boko Haram, Military In Fight To Finish In Borno by olaolabiy: 2:54pm On Jan 31, 2011
Sleep murdered!

(1) (Reply)

I Have Made Life Better For Oyo People – Alao-akala / Alaafin Wants Akala Jailed ! / 107,000 Ghost Police Officers More Police Cashiers To Be Arraigned For Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.