Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

Igbo Or Ibo? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Or Ibo? (31357 Views)

Igbo Or Ibo: Which One Is Correct / Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others / How Do U Spell (weed) In Yoruba, Is It Igbo? Or Egbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by Nobody: 12:42am On Nov 10, 2012
It's an abomination for onye Igbo to call his/her own tribe, ibo. It's disgusting and totally wrong.

Btw. 80% of Igbos say 'Yoruba' and 'awusa' when talking, but you will never see an Igbo person write 'Yoruba' or 'awusa', unless the person is trying to make fun of the Yoruba's and the Hausa people.

So you guys should respect our tribe because Ivanovic and Vidic are not spelled 'ivanovich' and 'vidich' because of how they are called. My 2 cents.
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by adaide1: 2:22pm On Nov 19, 2012
Correction pls @ nwaigbo mg, there is no part of Anambra that speaks Ibo(it has no meaning), it has always been Igbo eg(igboanugo, igboukwu, igbouzo)
But i belive it's non-igbo or 'did you know i went to school Group' that uses that word.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by uchez2(m): 7:44am On Jan 03, 2014
[quote author=Abagwcause traditional Igbo writing is not in Roman but Nsibidi.Several of such spelling disagreements occur in many Igbo words.

Chukwu-Chuku

Oka-Okar-Okah

Ibe-Ibeh

Nwala-Wala

Nwachukwu-Wachukwu-Nwachuku

Emodi-Emordi

Akwa-Akua.

These are just but few cases of such spelling disagreement.

It is not peculiar to Igbo but is also noticeable in other African and European languages.Osogbo or Oshogbo are both right in Yoruba.[/quote]

Please if u don't know anything, keep shut. Don't mislead people. Its never IBO. The language and the tribe are IGBO. IBO is just British funnetic, white man miapronouncd it. For example, in ur waec or jamb or neck exams, have u seen any IBO in name, whether language or the tribe?

People, both the tribe and the language are IGBO. There's nothing like IBO. Thank u all.
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by uchez2(m): 7:50am On Jan 03, 2014
alj harem: infact in some schools in anambra, some students spell igbo as ibo,.,. and the ibo teachers do not complain undecided

it is only on NL they make it a big deal undecided

but ibo is as good as igbo and they are one and the same smiley

Guy, pls don't start yarning dust. If those teachers allow that then they are not qualified. Like I said before, have u seen IBO in any of waec, neco, jamb? There is nothing like ibo, its Igbo.
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by uchez2(m): 7:59am On Jan 03, 2014
alj harem:

thank you

no no no no

it is not about using the correct term or not; because both spellings are right

ibo=igbo

fula = fulani

some people spell hausa to be awusa,.,,. they mean the same thing

it is only NL that it is made a big deal,.,.,., like it is some form word used to insult people

let me ask you something is delta ibo right or wrong

Why are u being stup!d pls. If I write "awusa" instead of "Hausa" in exam, will I pass? I'd!ots like u are the reason we are having tribal killings in this Nigeria. Its all Igbo not ibo.
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by McOsheBaba(m): 3:44pm On Jun 30, 2015
We Igbos like to argue over irrelevant matters... We have more pressing problems but you'd find people arguing about 'Ibo' or 'Igbo'... Does it really matter if we all understand what we are referring to?

Yorubas have 'Somolu' and 'Shomolu'... They don't go about arguing the way we do ours...

1 Like

Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by Emilokoiyawon: 2:58am On Jul 06, 2015
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Its Yeeboo. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by tmanuelle(m): 11:36am On Jul 08, 2015
beneli:

This is an interesting question that you ask!

While Abagworo has posted information that can be debated, I honestly think that the majority of informed Igbo people would be most inclined towards using ‘Igbo’ to describe the name of the people, the language spoken and the land inhabited . . . irrespective of what some of the 'erroneous' information out there say!

So in answer to your question the politically correct terms would be:
Igbo person
Igbo language
Igbo land

'This statue is not of Yoruba origin, it is of 'Igbo' origin’ . . .

The use of ‘Ibo’ to describe ‘Igbo’ people or language is increasingly considered irreverent. Some educated Nigerians . . . Igbo speaking or not . . .  even find the term very insulting since they are aware that its one of those patronising relics, spilling over from the centuries when the colonialists had gone about telling their subjects how they should call themselves!

But as we gradually shed ourselves of the 'odious' mentality of those years, most of us have come to agree that we are Igbo are not 'Ibo' -it doesn’t matter whether the Igbo person is from the Igbo-speaking areas of Rivers or Delta states, or the Igbo speaking states of Abia, Anambara, Ebonyi, Enugu or Imo . . . it is still Igbo!  And that is how we wish to be called . . .

The few people that persist in using 'Ibo' are either being deliberately mischievous – as you may have observed, perusing the politics section of NL - or are just innocently, or in a few cases. . . i dare say, even. . .  irredeemably, ignorant!

I am from the West, but I like the way you have treated it. I can't remember the last time I used that word, Ibo... may be 5, 6 yrs
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by Probz(m): 9:08am On May 05, 2017
Igbo but I know Delta Igbos prefer Ibo. But no self-respecting Igbo man from the Far East would write Igbo as Ibo.
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by googi: 2:23pm On May 05, 2017
Abagworo:
All are right depending on the writer because traditional Igbo writing is not in Roman but Nsibidi.Several of such spelling disagreements occur in many Igbo words.

Does it make a difference if it is written in NSIBIDI, English or Greek?

None of these is indigenous to Igbo. Just respect people and called them the way they want to be called.

American blacks went through Negro, Black to African American.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jun 01, 2019
shocked
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by googi: 11:27pm On Jun 01, 2019
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by Nobody: 11:47am On May 30, 2021
lelouchan:
Hi not to sound ignorant here, but I want to know once and for all. When do you say Igbo and when do you say Ibo??

So is someone 'Igbo' or 'Ibo'? Is the language 'Igbo or Ibo' and lastly is the place 'Igbo or Ibo'?

Also if I want to say for example, 'this statue is not of yoruba origin, it is of 'Ibo' origin, is that correct?

Thank you!!

01000111010011110100010000100000010100110100000101010110010001010010000001001101010110010010000001010011010011110101010101001100
#ARTHSOS; #PLANETSOS {
#GEOENGINEERING
#WEATHERMODIFICATION
#GMO
#BIOTECH
#BIOHAZARD
#THEELECTROSHAMAN; #SDM; #GENESIS
} @RoyalMarines !!! #BOBTHEBUILDER; #RISKY; #042REPORT; #IPOB; #ÓDÚÁ; #MASSOB; #REDLIGHTDISTRICT; #AMBERALERT; #ANONYMOUS; #ENVIRONMENTALHEALTH !!! ENDIF {!!! #BOBRISKY !!!}

#MAGBONETIDO #LOTTO #KM48 #RCCG #MOWE #IBAFO #ACEPIXELS #NAIRAMARLEY #NOMANNERS #ITSAMADNESS #SIGMUNDFREUD #BATTABOX #TBT #GDFOLK " @Afam4Eva "
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by Sunshinegold44: 12:51pm On May 31, 2021
Igbo is the correct words not ibo...in other African's countries called us ibo due to pronounced of their languages

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Quran, Ifa And The Bible By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat / Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test / Kingmakers Pick Bashir Aminu As New Emir Of Zazzau

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.