Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,365 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

My Journey Into Poultry Business - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Journey Into Poultry Business (7871 Views)

My Journey Into Livestock Farming (Noiler 1st) / My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit / Poultry Business In Nigeria: How Reliable & Profitable Is It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Journey Into Poultry Business by 1b8m: 7:52pm On Jun 30, 2020
I've always loved animals and have raised them as pets all my life. I never thought for once I'd lovingly and cheerfully raise an animal and eventually sell it off knowing it was heading for the slaughter. I feel very terrible!

Enough of the prologue. I am venturing into the poultry biz and I want you all to come along with me, I'll take us from the scratch and give details of my expenditures. Please I'm open to your constructive advice and suggestions.

I have a 20×37 square-feet of space originally designated for 500 broilers but because I am new in the business, I'll start with 50 broilers (day old chicks).

I spent nothing on acquiring the space as its family's. The guy i gave the job to construct the chicken pen charged N60K. I got 300blocks today at N120 each and the foundation was layed. Pics below:

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by 1b8m: 7:59pm On Jun 30, 2020
I also got a trip of sand and 5bags of cement alongside the blocks.
Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by doggedfighter(f): 8:05pm On Jun 30, 2020
Following keenly.
Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jun 30, 2020
Following
Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by phemyor(m): 8:24pm On Jun 30, 2020
following you brotherly
Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by Yustash001(m): 8:52pm On Jun 30, 2020
Following you bumper to bumper
I'm also thinking of venturing into poultry after NYSC...
Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by 1b8m: 6:34am On Jul 01, 2020
Goodmorning everyone. I intend to add 4more coaches of block today. Wish me luck please, especially against rain

2 Likes

Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by Nedlog01(m): 2:07pm On Jul 12, 2020
There is now a platform created to support and grow agricultural and food related brands. It is called The Chicken Farm. It is a site that connects buyers and sellers of chicken products. Products including: Poultry, Fast Food, Equipment, Manure, Feed etc can all be sold and bought on the site as long as they relate to chicken. Register with: www.thechickenfarm.com.ng/register/TCU20GOL4. It's all free.

It's for those in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by 1b8m: 10:44am On Sep 11, 2020
Sorry for the time lapse. I was just with work. Finally constructed the pen, 30×20ft

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by 1b8m: 10:47am On Sep 11, 2020
Day 1

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by 1b8m: 10:51am On Sep 11, 2020
Day 14

2 Likes

Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by 1b8m: 11:19am On Sep 11, 2020
Today, day 21

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by Vl3ly: 11:32am On Sep 11, 2020
Do you have any mortality?
Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by 1b8m: 5:26pm On Sep 11, 2020
Wow can you beat this? 1.3kg in 3wks?

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by IRIENBOY(m): 8:19pm On Sep 11, 2020
Following
Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by Vl3ly: 8:25pm On Sep 11, 2020
1b8m:
Wow can you beat this? 1.3kg in 3wks?
well done I like as you dey update
Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by 1b8m: 8:36pm On Sep 11, 2020
I've recorded no mortality out of the 51 ross 308 I got from agrited. The birds can eat sha, 3bags in 3wks. Today I achieved a rare feat, I even beat the standard...over 1kg in 3wks. The secret was adlibitum feeding and hygiene. I will keep updating the house on my progress

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by nams77: 9:34pm On Sep 11, 2020
1b8m:
I've recorded no mortality out of the 51 ross 308 I got from agrited. The birds can eat sha, 3bags in 3wks. Today I achieved a rare feat, I even beat the standard...over 1kg in 3wks. The secret was adlibitum feeding and hygiene. I will keep updating the house on my progress
Good one bro.
Will be joining you in the note so distant future.
How much Is a bag of feed
Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by psucc(m): 9:05am On Sep 12, 2020
I see "ross 308". Is it a brand of feed or the chicken specie?

Please can you add up on how you go about feeding (brand, quantity), medicals (type, timing, etc), hygiene (how oft, method), pest control (type, method,timing) and any other information.

I am amazed at your success story and you have spurred me up to delve into the business.
Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by 1b8m: 1:12pm On Sep 12, 2020
nams77:

Good one bro.
Will be joining you in the note so distant future.
How much Is a bag of feed
i use Ultima. It's 4500. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by nams77: 1:23pm On Sep 12, 2020
1b8m:
i use Ultima. It's 4500. Thanks
OK. Thanks
Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by psucc(m): 3:47pm On Sep 12, 2020
1b8m:
Day 1
What do you use as floor covering in the pics?
Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by 1b8m: 3:58pm On Sep 12, 2020
psucc:
What do you use as floor covering in the pics?
i used newspaper but switched to wood shaving

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by 1b8m: 4:12pm On Sep 12, 2020
psucc:
I see "ross 308". Is it a brand of feed or the chicken specie?

Please can you add up on how you go about feeding (brand, quantity), medicals (type, timing, etc), hygiene (how oft, method), pest control (type, method,timing) and any other information.

I am amazed at your success story and you have spurred me up to delve into the business.
sorry for the delay, I just saw your post now.
Ross 308 is a breed of broilers sold by agrited. Feeding was adlibitum (day and night ). I used chikun super starter and I never let their feeding tray go dry.
I vaccinated with lasota on 7th day, gumboro on the 14th, second lasota today. In between, I place them on antibiotics (doxygen) and multivitamin on daily basis. One time I had respiratory disease outbreak, I administered centre cipro.
I change their litter every week and wash their water feeder everyday
I used Izal to disinfect the pen 3 days before the birds arrived

5 Likes

Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by Youngext: 4:40pm On Sep 12, 2020
1b8m:
sorry for the delay, I just saw your post now.
Ross 308 is a breed of broilers sold by agrited. Feeding was adlibitum (day and night ). I used chikun super starter and I never let their feeding tray go dry.
I vaccinated with lasota on 7th day, gumboro on the 14th, second lasota today. In between, I place them on antibiotics (doxygen) and multivitamin on daily basis. One time I had respiratory disease outbreak, I administered centre cipro.
I change their litter every week and wash their water feeder everyday
I used Izal to disinfect the pen 3 days before the birds arrived
Weldone bro

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by 1b8m: 7:09am On Sep 13, 2020
Youngext:

Weldone bro
thanks bro

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by psucc(m): 3:11pm On Sep 13, 2020
1b8m:
i used newspaper but switched to wood shaving
Thanks. Your answers are apt!
Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by Noblejay7: 3:30pm On Sep 13, 2020
Well done.
Please what source of heat did you use for brooding?
Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by 1b8m: 8:19pm On Sep 14, 2020
Noblejay7:
Well done.
Please what source of heat did you use for brooding?
i used coal and native pot. A bag of it should carry through out the brooding period
Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by 1b8m: 9:07am On Sep 16, 2020
I switched to finisher feed today, day 26. Ordinarily I should have waited till day 28 but the birds had already consumed 4 bags of starter. And I noticed the starter feed no longer last in their crop, probably because they were digesting faster hence I switched to finisher

2 Likes

Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by Funjosh(m): 5:42am On Sep 17, 2020
Respect Bro

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into Poultry Business by 1b8m: 7:43am On Sep 17, 2020
Funjosh:
Respect Bro
thanks bro. Respect

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Livestock Feed Production Made Easy / Download My Secret Vegetables Calendar / More than 100 Acres Of Fertile Farm Land In Ijebu Igbo, Ogun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.