Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,974 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

The "anything For Money" Culture/attitude Led To His Death---- Sources - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The "anything For Money" Culture/attitude Led To His Death---- Sources (975 Views)

Ocholi's Family Suspects Foul Play In His Death / James Ocholi's Son Last Instagram Post Before His Death(photo) / Audu Vomited Blood Before His Death - Daily Post (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The "anything For Money" Culture/attitude Led To His Death---- Sources by bkbabe97y(m): 10:14pm On Jan 31, 2011
Drama as mystery woman appears on mosque minaret • Kills rescuer
Stories & photos by Christopher Oji, Vivian Onyebukwa, Chioma Igbokwe , Kate Halim & Christine Onwuachumba

Friday, January 28, 2011

A woman, Oluremi Bolaji, 32, held residents of Ijeshatedo, Surulere and its environs spell bound when she mysteriously appeared on the minaret of the Ijesha Central Mosque in Lagos.

Residents of the area had woken up to see the woman perched dangerously atop the minaret which is under construction as part of ongoing renovation works on the three-storey mosque.

The scene of the incident became a Mecca of sort as residents from the neigbouring communities gathered to witness the incident. Many of the onlookers expressed surprise at how Bolaji managed to climb the mosque tower even as they wondered how the mother of three would be rescued safely.

Meanwhile, there were different sides to the Bolaji saga. While some people claimed she was a witch on a failed mission, and reaping the fruits of her wickedness, others said she was mentally deranged, a claim corroborated by Bolaji’s father. According to Bolaji’s father who wept openly at his daughter’s risky situation, the victim was mentally ill and the family had been making plans to move her to a psychiatrist home for treatment before the incident.

Amid the confusion over how to rescue Bolaji safely from her precarious position, a commercial tricyclist, simply identified as Ikechukwu, offered to bring the lady down if his colleagues would compensate him with the sum of N1, 000. There was another angle to the Ikechukwu story, as another account said he had actually placed a bet with some other young men at the scene that he could bring down the woman. The wager was put at N1,000.00.

Ikechukwu, after getting the assurance that he would be given the money began to climb the minaret. Unaware that he was embarking on a dangerous mission, Ikechukwu never returned to claim the money he was promised. He was allegedly pushed down by Bolaji using one of the wooden beams the construction workers had placed in the minaret. He landed, hitting his head on the concrete floor. He died instantly. Following Ikechukwu’s fatal fall, Bolaji was said to have boasted that she would kill more people should they venture to bring her down.

However, the Imam in charge of the mosque, Ganiyu Oyebanjo, was said to have contacted the policemen and men of the State Fire Service. Daily Sun gathered that before the arrival of the crime fighters, a native doctor was said to have made a futile attempt to rescue Bolaji. The medicine man was said to have recited some incantations, cast spell but to no avail. He was reportedly chased away by the crowd. Men of the state fire service on their arrival splashed water on the victim hoping it would scare her, yet she remained adamant.

When Daily Sun arrived the scene Bolaji was seen entertaining her audience. Repeatedly, she would remove her clothes dance around while the malefolk applauded her. When it was obvious that the woman just had to be saved from possible death, able-bodied men comprising mainly of members of the Oodua Peoples Congress (OPC), took over the rescue mission.

They beckoned on her to come down, while she shouted in Yoruba language that they should leave her alone. She began throwing stones at the men who for safety had to wear helmet. Gradually the men climbed up the tower, distracted the lady while another with the aid of a plank pushed her from the minaret to the roof of the mosque. She was eventually brought down from the roof.

The mob attempted to lynch Bolaji but for the quick intervention of the police. She was whisked to Ijesha police station and later moved to a private hospital where she is receiving treatment. Her father lamented that things would not have degenerated to this if his daughter had not been turned back by Yaba Psychiatric hospital. According to him, the hospital had asked that the family should first treat the wounds Oluremi had inflicted on herself before bringing her for admission. The angry mob took to the street, protesting the death of Ikechukwu and calling for the heads of the woman and members of her entire family.

The mob barricaded Ijesha Lawanson Road, disrupting commercial activities and vehicular movements. Some hoodlums who hijacked the protest used the opportunity to snatch peoples mobile phones and handbags. The police eventually dispersed the protesters by firing tear gas canisters.

The Imam, Ganiyu Oyebanjo, expressed shock on how the woman managed to climb the minaret. “I think she was being controlled by a demonic force. She climbed the minaret at about midnight and was brought down around 11:00 am.”

He alleged that worshippers had prevailed on the deceased, Ikechukwu, to wait for the arrival of policemen and the fire fighters but he was adamant, probably because of the N1, 000, allegedly promised him by his colleagues.

Lagos State police spokesman, Mr. Frank Mba, who confirmed the death of Ikechukwu, said the quick intervention of the police saved the lady from being stoned to death by the mob. He said both the police and fire fighters rushed the woman in an ambulance to the police before taking her to the hospital.

He said the body of Ikechukwu had been taken by his family for burial. Mba advised members of the public to always report such incidents to the police rather than resort to jungle justice.

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/jan/28/525.html
Re: The "anything For Money" Culture/attitude Led To His Death---- Sources by bkbabe97y(m): 10:24pm On Jan 31, 2011
. . . . .killed himself for only $4?!!

Wow!

Ibos!
Re: The "anything For Money" Culture/attitude Led To His Death---- Sources by Emmyk(m): 11:28pm On Jan 31, 2011
SMH. What will he tell God
Re: The "anything For Money" Culture/attitude Led To His Death---- Sources by EzeUche2(m): 11:34pm On Jan 31, 2011
You are despicable bk.babe. Words cannot explain how much I dislike you.
Re: The "anything For Money" Culture/attitude Led To His Death---- Sources by ekubear1: 11:41pm On Jan 31, 2011
That is actually a pretty depressing story. Damn.
Re: The "anything For Money" Culture/attitude Led To His Death---- Sources by violent(m): 11:51pm On Jan 31, 2011
Pardon my sense of humor, i do get queer whenever my coffee comes late, that said, i don't think this is in any way depressing, as a matter of fact, i sort of find it hilarious.
Re: The "anything For Money" Culture/attitude Led To His Death---- Sources by reporter1: 11:52pm On Jan 31, 2011
EzeUche_:

You are despicable bk.babe. Words cannot explain how much I dislike you.

Truth is that you are not too different from BK,  it's just that he has a bigger than you.
Re: The "anything For Money" Culture/attitude Led To His Death---- Sources by EzeUche2(m): 11:58pm On Jan 31, 2011
reporter?:

Truth is that you are not too different from BK,  it's just that he has a bigger than you.

Last time I checked, I do not create threads of this nature. The last thread that was of a "controversial" stance was the Awolowo thread.  grin My proudest moment on Nairaland. Just google search it. But I do not make light of horrible events of this sort. I have my limits.
Re: The "anything For Money" Culture/attitude Led To His Death---- Sources by fstranger1: 12:15am On Feb 01, 2011
^^^

And who told you Bkbabe doesnt have his limits too?

Maybe this thread is going to end up as his proudest moment, you dont know. grin

As for me, So far so good.

Good bless Bkbabe
Re: The "anything For Money" Culture/attitude Led To His Death---- Sources by excanny: 2:03pm On Feb 01, 2011
This foolish Yoruba boy claiming to be a non-Nigerian. Silly Yoruba.
Re: The "anything For Money" Culture/attitude Led To His Death---- Sources by excanny: 2:10pm On Feb 01, 2011
[size=22pt]Yoruba Man dies after doing anything for Money[/size]

A young man has lost his life
after allegedly donating his
sperm for ritual in a quest to
make money.
The man, Ahmed Rufai, who was
in his 30s, was taken by his wife,
Titi, to her elder brother,
Sulaimon Ojulari, for financial
assistance to help stabilise his
crumbling business. But
P.M.News learnt that Ojulari said
he could not assist him
financially.
He however, was alleged to have
told Rufai that he could give him
a soap which must be mixed with
his sperm. Ojulari was said to
have told the deceased that this
would turn his fortunes around.
The arrangement, it is alleged,
was for Titi to bring the soap
mixed with Rufai ’s sperm back to
Ojulari.
A few months after Rufai used
the soap, he reportedly started
suffering from a strange illness
which led to his death. But
before he died, Rufai, an auto
dealer had disclosed that he was
given a soap which his brother-
in-law said must be mixed with
his sperm. He said he gave his
sperm in a condom. This
prompted the family members to
engage in spiritual investigation.
Speaking with P.M.News, the
father of the deceased, Alhaji
Dele Rufai, who was in tears,
said: “We had no option than to
go spiritual and it was through
the medium that we were told
Titi, my daughter-in-law, was in
the best position to tell us what
went wrong with her husband.
“She was summoned to the
family meeting and there, she
confessed collecting my son ’s
sperm for her elder to use in
preparing a money making
soap. ”
Alhaji Rufai said Titi wrote a
written confession which reads:
“ It is true that I collected my
husband’s sperm for the
betterment of our future. My
own semen was part of the
package also. ”
The family members were able
to contact Titi ’s brother through
a phone number provided by
her. It was learnt that Ojulari
honoured the deceased ’s family
when he was invited by them to
a meeting and confessed that he
sent a money-making soap to
Rufai, which he instructed should
be mixed with his sperm. He
however, denied that he
collected the sperm from Rufai.
But the deceased’s father further
said that Ojulari promised to
facilitate the cure for Ahmed
Rufai ’s illness. But he died early
this month.
Both Titi and Ojulari are facing
trial at a Magistrate ’s Court in
Ipokia, Ogun State, and the
ruling on the matter is being

www.news.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=6021
Re: The "anything For Money" Culture/attitude Led To His Death---- Sources by Nobody: 2:19pm On Feb 01, 2011
Emmyk:

SMH. What will he tell God
He died gambling with his life on a bet of #1000.simple
Re: The "anything For Money" Culture/attitude Led To His Death---- Sources by joeyfire(m): 4:18pm On Feb 01, 2011
BKBABE is infinitely petty and childish.i am lost for words
Re: The "anything For Money" Culture/attitude Led To His Death---- Sources by bkbabe97y(m): 7:58pm On Feb 01, 2011
Ok, yall get mad all you want. . . . But, I tell u this:

NEXT TIME YOU SEE A PSYCHO PERCHED ON THE TOP OF A MINARET: DO NOT GET TO GAMBLING!
Re: The "anything For Money" Culture/attitude Led To His Death---- Sources by bkbabe97y(m): 8:00pm On Feb 01, 2011
EzeUche_:

. Words cannot explain how much I dislike you.

Son, u know u just lied. . . . . .
Re: The "anything For Money" Culture/attitude Led To His Death---- Sources by 21052011: 4:39pm On Feb 02, 2011
hmm there is nothing one will not read on NL
I am short of words
Re: The "anything For Money" Culture/attitude Led To His Death---- Sources by Mobinga: 5:56pm On Feb 02, 2011
lol! I find this thread absolutely hilarious.
they chased the native doctor? Lol lol

How much can 1k give you? You wouldn't even get a video game for 10 times that price. Shame
Re: The "anything For Money" Culture/attitude Led To His Death---- Sources by 21052011: 6:04pm On Feb 02, 2011
^^^ my brother its poverty o
abi na poverty of the mind?
but am sure no one not even him wouldve seen the possibility of death coming in
shame
Re: The "anything For Money" Culture/attitude Led To His Death---- Sources by Emmyk(m): 7:49pm On Feb 02, 2011
What's wif this date brotha?
Have u time-travelled there and seen something coming
Re: The "anything For Money" Culture/attitude Led To His Death---- Sources by jumobi1(m): 8:07pm On Feb 02, 2011
bk.babe97y:

When Daily Sun arrived the scene Bolaji was seen entertaining her audience. Repeatedly, she would remove her clothes dance around while the malefolk applauded her.

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/jan/28/525.html

The woman just killed someone that attempted to help her and people applauding her cos she removed her clothes? That's sickening. The same people attempted to lynch her later,
Regarding Ikechukwu. it's pretty sad. Bottom line is he tried to save a life.
Re: The "anything For Money" Culture/attitude Led To His Death---- Sources by seanet03: 10:07pm On Feb 02, 2011
A big congratulations to the dead IBO man. You actually needed the mad woman help to get yourself to heaven due to your anything goes for money syndrome.
Re: The "anything For Money" Culture/attitude Led To His Death---- Sources by bkbabe97y(m): 11:28pm On Feb 02, 2011
^^^^So, sad. . . . Didnt Ojukwu wish to die on that same day? Maybe, he shoulda climbed the Minaret instead. . . . ^^^ undecided

(1) (Reply)

April Polls: Bankole On Pdp Chairman’s List ! / Ibbs Reason For Coup Againt Buhari. Read His Coup Speech / Confusion As Buhari Ends Rally In Katsina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.