Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,427 members, 7,822,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:44 PM

Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! (6814 Views)

Chelsea To Sell Torres For £15 Million ? / When Will Torres Score His First Chelsea Goal? / Torres Is A Girl! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by conceptmay: 1:18am On Feb 01, 2011
Chelsea have completed the signing of Spain striker Fernando Torres from Liverpool in a deal reported to be worth £50 million.
Torres has signed a five-and-a-half-year contract that puts his earnings on a par with the highest paid players at Stamford Bridge - such as captain John Terry and Frank Lampard.

Torres joined Liverpool following a £20 million move from Atletico Madrid in 2007 and set a new record for the most prolific foreign goalscorer ever in a debut season in England, beating Ruud van Nistelrooy's 23 goals for Manchester United.

The 26-year-old scored 65 goals during his three year stay at Anfield and although he helped Liverpool finish second in the Premier League in the 2008-09 season, the club missed out on qualification for the Champions League last term and Torres leaves having failed to win a trophy.

That is something he will be hoping to put right at Stamford Bridge as the reigning Premier League champions look to defend their title and go one better than Chelsea's Champions League final appearance in 2008.

Speaking at Stamford Bridge after finalising the move, Torres, who was also pictured with a Chelsea shirt, said: "I am very happy with my transfer to Chelsea and I am looking forward very much to helping my new team-mates this season and for many years to come. Having played against Chelsea many times since coming to England, and in some very big games I will never forget, I know there are many great players here and I will work hard to win a place in the team. I hope I can score some important goals for the supporters to enjoy this season."

"This is a very significant day for Chelsea, capturing one of the best players in the world with his peak years ahead of him," Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck said. "We have long admired the talents of a player who is a proven goalscorer in English football and Fernando's arrival is a sign of our continuing high ambitious. I hope every Chelsea fan is as excited as I am with this news."

Blues chief executive Ron Gourlay added: "Signing a player of the stature of Fernando Torres benefits the club on many levels. Carlo Ancelotti was keen to add his talents to the squad as we continue our quest for three trophies this season, we are delighted we have succeed with that wish, and this signing will undoubtedly aid the club in realising our worldwide potential."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/873755/chelsea-sign-L50m-fernando-torres?cc=3888

Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by conceptmay: 1:30am On Feb 01, 2011
Torres

Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by Kx: 8:19am On Feb 01, 2011
Has Torres proven his worth this season to attract a 50 mill transfer and close to 200k wages?
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by Mcleo007(m): 8:22am On Feb 01, 2011
Though not a blues fan, but then, this is definitely not a bad signing. In fact, its the best Chelsea has made for a long while now. A player of his curriculum is a huge boost to Chelsea's fluffy season. I hope he hits form quick.

Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by Nobody: 8:24am On Feb 01, 2011
Thanks to my overall Boss of Bosses and Supreme Commander of Prosperity - Roman Abramovich - for making this possible single-handed. With the prowess of Torres, and also David Luiz, Chelsea is back to it's world beating best!
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by tonardo(m): 8:28am On Feb 01, 2011
nice move,
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by legba1(m): 8:29am On Feb 01, 2011
welcome to the bridge,fernando.save for injuries,he's a great goal scorer and i hope he hit the pitch running!
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by Kennyblues(m): 8:34am On Feb 01, 2011
Great move for Torres and Chelsea. Chelsea on the up again & liverpool maybe a top four team again with the players they brought with the money. Good for the EPL
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by Funkymallam(m): 8:36am On Feb 01, 2011
el-nino u r most welcome, ur first assignment is to demolish liverpool nxt wknd grin
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by carnal: 8:38am On Feb 01, 2011
wow.any benefit for chealsea on dis?
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by omenpetrol: 8:39am On Feb 01, 2011
as a liverpool fan i would miss him. i hope he underperforms at chelsea, lol
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by chibest5(m): 8:51am On Feb 01, 2011
chelsea 4 life! i love the move imagine torres with drogba in the front is gona be deadly!!!

Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by justwise(m): 8:51am On Feb 01, 2011
Another over-priced player, oh well, Chelsea is known for paying far too much for nothing
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by orgasm(m): 8:57am On Feb 01, 2011
The transfer contract is worth 80m not 50m. It is a record signing for both the club and the English premier league. The most expensive transfer ever in the EPL.
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by EFCC1(m): 8:59am On Feb 01, 2011
welcome development! cool
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by alisigwe(m): 9:05am On Feb 01, 2011
This is one of my happiest day as a chelsea fan,money really is everything.i am just afraid if dis could be chelsea pushing drogba out!
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by scarphase(m): 9:09am On Feb 01, 2011
if andy carrol could go for 35 million, then torres is cheap for 50 million , but then the english market is just crazy, bunch of overpriced players!!!
blues for life though!hope he doesnt become anoda shevy!
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by dplordx(m): 9:09am On Feb 01, 2011
The best signing since Miroslav Ivanovic. Torres is everything a team like Chelsea needs!
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by Nobody: 9:16am On Feb 01, 2011
orgasm:

The transfer contract is worth 80m not 50m. It is a record signing for both the club and the English premier league. The most expensive transfer ever in the EPL.

80m what? Pounds, dollars, euros, Cefa, or naira? So in other words ESPN lied? £50m = $80m!

justwise:

Another over-priced player, oh well, Chelsea is known for paying far too much for nothing

It's certainly arguable that he is a tad overpriced considering his age and recent injury proneness/form, but it is terribly unfair to say Chelsea is paying too much 'for nothing', haba! Torres is world class anyday. But I think £30m would have been a more reasonable price if not for the fact that Liverpool cashed in on the desperate urgency with which Chelsea needs his services now now. If we'd waited until the summer transfer window, am sure he wouldn't have cost more than £35m.
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by JAkpayen(m): 9:21am On Feb 01, 2011
chibest5:

chelsea 4 life! i love the move imagine torres with drogba in the front is gona be deadly!!!

It's gonna take some time before the two blend together. Maybe definitely next season!
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by gagalicious(f): 9:31am On Feb 01, 2011
[color=#990000][/color]
ime so happy, such a gud move for chelsea, we cumn bak ontop, haters watch ur back.
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by agoshofin(m): 9:38am On Feb 01, 2011
Torres does nt look good in Chelsea, & blues fans should expect a massive booin of Torres in Anfield nxtwk, & trust me, We ve a Pepe Reina dat knows Torres so well,

Hw come only Chelsea fans are happy with d deal?, As for me, Torres shouldn't ve gone, even though, Liverpool can be better off without Torres!
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by timpaker(m): 9:42am On Feb 01, 2011
torres move to stamford bridge is a nice move but let him forget that chelsea a club that kills top striker form, let him ask chevy, deco and others what happen to them when they arrived at the brigde (i heard drogba's jaz always catch up with such strikers who think they over shadow him in goal scoring).
I wish him a stonking stay at chelsea.
Farewel el nino!

1 Like

Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by Ayoobscom(m): 9:46am On Feb 01, 2011
here comes the knife with which chelsea is gonna slaughter man u with feww weeks to come, welcome torress to the brigde--now do for me what u have been doing against me awhaile
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by baslone: 9:57am On Feb 01, 2011
Good buy! Personally I do think the biggest problem at the bridge is not the attack!
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by polokor60(m): 9:59am On Feb 01, 2011
el nino,u re the man
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by liaslo1(m): 9:59am On Feb 01, 2011
*Gosh* at last fernado went ahead and wants to kill his carrer at chelsea, well i wish him all the best.
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by DAY12(m): 10:11am On Feb 01, 2011
He's a great player and very dangerous to all defenders

Congrats to d blue fans, at least you still have 2 games with d red devil,  grin

Kick dre fu4kin a.s.s down for gooners to climb up d game  grin

cheesy
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by babaogun(m): 10:15am On Feb 01, 2011
agoshofin:

Torres does nt look good in Chelsea, & blues fans should expect a massive booin of Torres in Anfield nxtwk, & trust me, We ve a Pepe Reina dat knows Torres so well,
While Pepe is looking after Torres, Drogba will be taking care of the goal post!
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by Rafaell(m): 10:19am On Feb 01, 2011
This is the happiest and most significant day of my life as a BLUES fan in the past 17 years. Thank you, Roman. For this singular act of daring and resisting all odds to get Fernando into our fold, I the one-true-die-hard-core BLUE fan, finally finally finally FORGIVE you for easing the Special One, Jose from our midst when we most needed him. I am sure by now U must have realized that grave mistake made. The UCL trophy we couldn't achieve under him is surely an INSTANT POSSIBILITY now with this move. Thank you, Roman.

Now, Carlo, over 2u. Get me that UCL trophy. Achokwaghi m inu akuko dis season again.
We let Mourinho last season, so I know this time he wont prevent us.

Long Live Chelsea, Long Live The BLUES, Long Live Stanford Bridge.  wink  wink  wink
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by otumfour(m): 10:29am On Feb 01, 2011
grin I'm one Happy Chelsea fan grin grin
Re: Chelsea Sign £50m Torres! by johnjoel(m): 10:29am On Feb 01, 2011
good signing

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Imo Man Commits Suicide Over Failed Bet On Manutd / Chelsea Vs Watford (2 - 1) On 22nd May 2022 / Notable Facts & Achievements Of Chelsea Fc: I Love These Boys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.