Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,545 members, 7,837,092 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:39 PM

World Bank: Nigeria And Two Other Countries Account For 43% Of The World's Poor. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / World Bank: Nigeria And Two Other Countries Account For 43% Of The World's Poor. (424 Views)

43% Of Nigerian Children Actively Engaged In Child Labour Practices — FG / 43% Of World’s Poor People Live In Nigeria, Two Others – World Bank / 43% Of Foreign Investors Left Nigeria In 2018 – Where Did We Go Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Bank: Nigeria And Two Other Countries Account For 43% Of The World's Poor. by Deebwebb: 10:47am On Jul 06, 2020
The World Bank has indicated that 43% of the world's poor people can be found in three countries in the world.

These countries are India where 24% of the world’s poor live, Nigeria, and Congo which accounts for 12%, and 7% of poor people can be found.

The World Bank added that global economic growth could rebound next year however the number of people living in extreme poverty will remain unchanged after the huge economic impact due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The bank said three countries where the highest number of the world’s extremely poor are not expected to grow faster than their population. This means that extreme poverty will remain at high 2020 levels through 2021.

The projection follows the World Bank’s assertion that the coronavirus pandemic could lead between 70 and 100 million people into extreme poverty in 2020 as the global economy faces its worst recession in 80 years.

Before the pandemic, extreme poverty – defined as living on $1.90 per day – had been decreasing.

The bank expects growth to rebound by 4% in 2021.

“Nigeria, India and the Democratic Republic of Congo — three countries which we project are home to more than a third of the world’s poor – are predicted to have per-capita growth rates in real GDP of –0.8 per cent, 2.1 per cent and 0.3 per cent, respectively.”

“With population growth rates of 2.6 per cent, 1.0 percent, and 3.1 percent, this is hardly enough for sustainable decreases in the poverty headcount,” the World Bank said in a blog.

The bank warned “South Asia may see a larger increase in the number of poor as a result of COVID-19,” particularly in India.

The Washington-based development lender said out of the 176 million people expected to fall below the $3.20 per day poverty line, two-thirds are in South Asia.
https://www.pulse.ng/bi/lifestyle/nigeria-and-two-other-countries-account-for-43-of-the-worlds-poor-according-to-the/0gxk49k.amp
Re: World Bank: Nigeria And Two Other Countries Account For 43% Of The World's Poor. by GboyegaD(m): 10:50am On Jul 06, 2020
It is well. I feel pained because there are no indication that things will improve. We will recycle our leaders come 2023 for some paltry amount of money.

1 Like

Re: World Bank: Nigeria And Two Other Countries Account For 43% Of The World's Poor. by Deebwebb: 10:52am On Jul 06, 2020
GboyegaD:
It is well. I feel pained because there are no indication that things will improve. We will recycle our leaders come 2023 for some paltry amount of money.
is so sad cry, if only the youths will wake up...the youths were the ones who fought for independence from the British why can't we do the same now
Re: World Bank: Nigeria And Two Other Countries Account For 43% Of The World's Poor. by Hotice085: 10:59am On Jul 06, 2020
The three major tribes in Nigeria leading in d poverty table
Re: World Bank: Nigeria And Two Other Countries Account For 43% Of The World's Poor. by Raydos: 11:29am On Jul 06, 2020
Until we protest nothing will ever change in this country, Every great country of today protested at some point for the betterment of their country

I'm not talking about a protest with placards and Cardboards, I'm talking about a Brutal protest that will shut down the economy and make headline on every news outlets in the world!!, Although some people will say, Soldiers will beat you up

But I am not sure Soldiers can beat up 100million people up, they will surely be overwhelmed, Protest change lives, If we continue Sitting down and hoping things will get better, I can assure you that till 20billion years to come nothing will change!!

These politicians feel relaxed cos no one is questioning them, No one is protesting!!

If they increase fuel prices from 143 to 200 today, They know people will only complain on social media for about a week and then adjust to the new Way

We need Protest, A massive and brutal protest!!

That's the only way out, Or better still let divide the country!

But then again, we only have youths who spend more time talking about Tacha, BBnaija, And engaging themselves in Useless Challenges on Instagram and Twitter!!

Keep enduring!!!
Re: World Bank: Nigeria And Two Other Countries Account For 43% Of The World's Poor. by BlowYourMind: 11:30am On Jul 06, 2020
Too bad
Re: World Bank: Nigeria And Two Other Countries Account For 43% Of The World's Poor. by NaijaRoyalty(m): 11:31am On Jul 06, 2020
Hotice085:
The three major tribes in Nigeria leading in d poverty table

Tribalism ls the reason why so many of you are so poor

1 Like

Re: World Bank: Nigeria And Two Other Countries Account For 43% Of The World's Poor. by GboyegaD(m): 11:32am On Jul 06, 2020
Deebwebb:
is so sad cry, if only the youths will wake up...the youths were the ones who fought for independence from the British why can't we do the same now

Cos we are not matured enough. See the fights we fight daily. We divide ourselves on so many fronts
Re: World Bank: Nigeria And Two Other Countries Account For 43% Of The World's Poor. by Hotice085: 12:07pm On Jul 06, 2020
NaijaRoyalty:

Tribalism ls the reason why so many of you are so poor

Tell that to the WAZOBIA tribe
Re: World Bank: Nigeria And Two Other Countries Account For 43% Of The World's Poor. by Deebwebb: 12:08pm On Jul 06, 2020
Raydos:
Until we protest nothing will ever change in this country, Every great country of today protested at some point for the betterment of their country

I'm not talking about a protest with placards and Cardboards, I'm talking about a Brutal protest that will shut down the economy and make headline on every news outlets in the world!!, Although some people will say, Soldiers will beat you up

But I am not sure Soldiers can beat up 100million people up, they will surely be overwhelmed, Protest change lives, If we continue Sitting down and hoping things will get better, I can assure you that till 20billion years to come nothing will change!!

These politicians feel relaxed cos no one is questioning them, No one is protesting!!

If they increase fuel prices from 143 to 200 today, They know people will only complain on social media for about a week and then adjust to the new Way

We need Protest, A massive and brutal protest!!

That's the only way out, Or better still let divide the country!

But then again, we only have youths who spend more time talking about Tacha, BBnaija, And engaging themselves in Useless Challenges on Instagram and Twitter!!

Keep enduring!!!
I support this
Re: World Bank: Nigeria And Two Other Countries Account For 43% Of The World's Poor. by XXLMANDIGO: 12:13pm On Jul 06, 2020
This news is so depressing especially for me and almost makes me regret being from Nigeria in the first place.

I give up angry
Re: World Bank: Nigeria And Two Other Countries Account For 43% Of The World's Poor. by Litmus: 12:36pm On Jul 06, 2020
Among the world’s richest can also be found in two of the nations mentioned - Nigeria and India. I am not sure Nigeria has the world’s poorest people though because information on Nigeria are often muddied by politics, on Nigeria’s part, and assumptions informed by racism on the world’s part. No one goes to Nigeria to research. Nigeria is home to the largest black population so research takes the form of lobbing assumption in the hope that it would stick and it often does because Nigerians welcome bad news. We take the bad news and run with it ably abetted by troll houses set up in Ghana for the spreading of negative news on Nigeria in the hope of diverting investment.

If, for instance, some people just began spreading the word that Nigeria has the largest rate of Covid infections and deaths in the world, Western media would run with this spurious claim without making research to verify it, and automatically Nigeria would become the World’s Covid HQ.
The West is probably only quick at counter-researching findings from Nigeria that says something positive about the people but readily accepts the negative ones without a sort of due diligence review.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians Lament Alleged ‘ill Treatment’ By Gtbank In Osogbo(photos) / City Gate Minna - Chanchaga Road To Wear A New Look / Southern Nigeria Should NEVER Blame The North For Anything

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.