Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,180 members, 7,811,445 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:48 AM

The Concept Of Omni - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Concept Of Omni (1064 Views)

The Concept Of Hajj And A Perfect Preparation For It- Imam S.A. ALIAGAN / Generational Curse Is False Concept / Concept Of Success – Your Relation With Allah, Your Family, Your Work And Your (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Concept Of Omni by tintingz(m): 5:39pm On Jul 06, 2020
I have seen many muslims being confused on what "Omni" is and how it's usually contradicts their beliefs.

By definition "Omni" means;

omni-
/ˈɒmni/

- all; of all things.

- in all ways or places.

As we can see from the definition it means "all of things and in all ways".

Now Omni is used for God because he's said to be a perfect being, so Omni is attributed to God, for God to appear perfect theists have to use the affixes for every God attributes e.g omni-scient, omni-present, omni-potent, omni-benevolent etc

So when they say God is omni-potent this means God is all-powerful, his powers are unlimited, everything about God is powerful, he can't be less powerful he's always powerful, he's absolutely powerful.

Same for omni-scient, God is all-knowing, he knows everything, his knowledge is unlimited, he can't know but know, absolutely know.

This also same for omni-benevolent, God is all-good, he's always good, he can't be evil or allow evil exist before him, everything about God is good, he's absolutely good. And it goes on like that.

Now this is where it get interesting, by logic these attributes usually contradicts when using theists claims about their God especially the Abrahamic deity. For example, Can God know that he cannot know? This challenge the all-knowing attributes of God. Another one is if God is all-good, why does evil exist?

Some Muslims said Allah is both good and evil, while some maintain he's only good and not evil, I don't have problem if you admit Allah is evil in his attributes but if you maintain Allah is only good(all-good) then you've to logically explain why evil exist.

Some Muslim argued that Allah is "wise" therefore answered why evil exist, does that negate the argument that Allah is/not evil? Definitely not. Whether Allah is wise or not, evil still exist and God made it exist except he's not the creator of evil which is another problem for his omnipotence.

I gave an illustration that goes like this, If a pen is very beautiful and it's "all-blue" in ink can it write black? If the pen writes black then the pen has a black ink therefore it's not all-blue. The pen with her beauty is both blue and black.

A Muslim gave an illustration of the sun in an argument,

Aegerine:

I followed one of your thread which you titled "all loving God" or something similar to that where you were thoroughly schooled on how good and bad are dispensed by Allah in due proportion according to his divine wisdom. You were given a very beautiful illustration of the Sun as to whether it can be referred to as heat or light based on the fact that it gives out both.. I think that jolts your memory.

Although he admitted Allah is both good and evil, but I just want to use his illustration in this post.

The Sun gives light and heat, the light give energy to life while the heat energy is radiation that goes through electromagnetic wave. Two point here, the sunlight is good for life while the sun-heat can be dangerous if exposed to it for long or get closer to it which can leads to one destruction!

The sun is both good and dangerous/destructive, if the Sun is omni-life then everything about the sun is to give life but when the sun can cause destruction then the sun cannot be omni-life.

Now if a God is not completely "Omni" such God cannot be perfect! If Allah is good and evil and not all-good, he can't be a perfect God as he's not completely "Omni".

So from my illustrations I have tried to explain the "Omni" and how it can contradicts your beliefs. I purposely created this thread to make Muslims here understand the concept of "Omni" as most of them don't even understand it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Concept Of Omni by LabuleofNigeria: 5:55pm On Jul 06, 2020
tintingz:

The sun is both good and dangerous, if the Sun is omni-life then everything about the sun is to give life but when the sun can cause destruction then the sun cannot be omni-life.

Question for you: Would there be life on the earth without the Sun?
The fact that the Sun brings light & heat which can either bring goodness or adverse conditions/death has not made the sun lost it "OMNI-LIFE"

Lesson: Both Goodness & Evil comes from God (Allah). He unleashes his conditions on mankind as he wishes in proportions and just.

God is Omni-everything grin
Re: The Concept Of Omni by LabuleofNigeria: 5:58pm On Jul 06, 2020
How would you define goodness if evil never exist ?
Would you have got an idea of what evil seem to be like ?

God in his infinite knowledge knows that "Positive" and "Negative" must be for anything to be.
Would you ever value light if darkness never exist ?
Re: The Concept Of Omni by tintingz(m): 6:03pm On Jul 06, 2020
LabuleofNigeria:

The fact that the Sun brings light & heat which can either bring goodness or adverse conditions/death has not made the sun lost it "OMNI-LIFE"

Lesson: Both Goodness & Evil comes from God (Allah). He unleashes his conditions on mankind as he wishes in proportions and just.

After I explained everything carefully in the OP, you still don't get it.

The sun gives life and as well it's destructive/dangerous, one can get cancer from long exposure of the sun, the earth can go extinct if it get nearer to the sun.

The sun is not omni-life, everything about the sun is not to give life, it's also destructive.

The sun is just life not omni-life, they're two different attributes.

Good that you admit good and evil comes from God.

Logically a being cannot be omni-everything, it's contradictory like I said. An all-good God cannot as well be all-evil good, an all-knowing God cannot as well be all-unknowing God. The opposite of good is evil, the opposite of knowing is unknown.

1 Like

Re: The Concept Of Omni by tintingz(m): 6:11pm On Jul 06, 2020
LabuleofNigeria:

God in his infinite knowledge knows that "Positive" and "Negative" must be for anything to be.

Again like I said, I don't have problem if you admit your God is both good and evil but if you say he's all-good then you've to explain why evil exist.
Re: The Concept Of Omni by LabuleofNigeria: 6:28pm On Jul 06, 2020
tintingz:

Logically a being cannot be omni-everything, it's contradictory like I said. An all-good God cannot as well be all-evil good, an all-knowing God cannot as well be all-unknowing God. The opposite of good is evil, the opposite of knowing is unknown.

This is the uniquenes of the supreme master, God (He created all, master-minded all and offer it all in proportion).

The only deserving "omni" to any entity is the creator or originator of that entity.
Re: The Concept Of Omni by LabuleofNigeria: 6:32pm On Jul 06, 2020
tintingz:

Again like I said, I don't have problem if you admit your God is both good and evil but if you say he's all-good then you've to explain why evil exist.

Dont you know i can be All-nice & all-wicked to people based on my choice and likeness.
Dont mistake the concept/meaning of "Omni (all)" to same as "Only"

Allah is not described as "Omni-only-good"
He is Omni-good, Omni-wise, & Omni-evil......all are from him
Re: The Concept Of Omni by tintingz(m): 6:33pm On Jul 06, 2020
LabuleofNigeria:

This is the uniquenes of the supreme master, God (He created all, master-minded all and offer it all in proportion).

The only deserving "omni" to any entity is the creator or originator of that entity.

Ok, can God not know?
Re: The Concept Of Omni by tintingz(m): 6:42pm On Jul 06, 2020
LabuleofNigeria:

Dont you know i can be All-nice & all-wicked to people based on my choice and likeness.
Dont mistake the concept/meaning of "Omni (all)" to same as "Only"

Allah is not described as "Omni-only-good"
He is Omni-good, Omni-wise, & Omni-evil......all are from him

Omni-something means the only, absolute thing you always do, look up to the definition.

If you're omni-nice then everything you do is always nice, if you're Omni-wicked then you're not always nice as they're opposite. Your nice nature has limit as you also do the opposite. If a pen is omni-blue then the pen can only write blue.

1 Like

Re: The Concept Of Omni by LabuleofNigeria: 6:44pm On Jul 06, 2020
tintingz:

Ok, can God not know?

I think you are now cleared about the concept of "Omni" as correctly defined but falsefuly described as "Only" in your argument.

This is the biggest description of an Oxymoron.
From God himself comes knowledge. He always Know.
This is as good as saying...."Can you not be You"
Re: The Concept Of Omni by Aegerine: 6:52pm On Jul 06, 2020
tintingz:
I have seen many muslims being confused on what "Omni" is and how it's usually contradicts their beliefs.

omni-
/ˈɒmni/

- all; of all things.

- in all ways or places.

Now Omni is used for God because he's said to be a perfect being, so Omni is attributed to God, so for God to appear perfect theists have to use the affixes for every God attributes e.g omni-scient, omni-present, omni-potent, omni-benevolent etc

So when they say God is omni-potent this means God is all-powerful, his powers are unlimited, everything about God is powerful, he can't be less powerful he's always powerful, he's absolutely powerful.

Same for omni-scient, God is all-knowing, he knows everything, his knowledge is unlimited, he can't know but know, absolutely know.

This also same for omni-benevolent, God is all-good, he's always good, he can't be evil or allow evil exist before him, everything about God is good, he's absolutely good. And it goes on like that.

Now this is where it get interesting, by logic these attributes usually contradicts when using theists claims about their God especially the Abrahamic deity. For example, Can God know that he cannot know? This challenge the all-knowing attributes of God. Another one is if God is all-good, why does evil exist?

Some Muslims said Allah is both good and evil, while some maintain he's only good and not evil, I don't have problem if you admit Allah is evil in his attributes but if you maintain Allah is only good(all-good) then you've to logically explain why evil exist.

Some Muslim argued that Allah is "wise" therefore answered why evil exist, does that negate the argument that Allah is not evil? Definitely not. Whether Allah is wise or not, evil still exist and God made it exist except he's not the creator of evil which is another problem for his omnipotence.

I gave an illustration that goes like this, If a biro is very beautiful and it's "all-blue" in ink can it write black? If the biro writes black then the biro has a black ink therefore it's not all-blue. The biro with her beauty is both blue and black.

A Muslim gave an illustration of the sun in an argument,

Although he admitted Allah is both good and evil, but I just want to use his illustration in this post.

The Sun gives light and heat, the light give energy to life while the heat energy is radiation that goes through electromagnetic wave. Two point here, the sunlight is good for life while the sun-heat can be dangerous if exposed to it for long or get closer to it which can leads to one destruction!

The sun is both good and dangerous/destructive, if the Sun is omni-life then everything about the sun is to give life but when the sun can cause destruction then the sun cannot be omni-life.

Now if a God is not completely "Omni" such God cannot be perfect! If Allah is good and evil and not all-good, he can't be a perfect God as he's not completely "Omni".

So from my illustrations I have tried to explain the "Omni" and how it can contradicts your beliefs. I purposely created this thread to make Muslims here understand the concept of "Omni" as most of them don't even understand it.

Your problem as it has been repeatedly stressed again and again and again is your futile attempt at rationalizing Allah and his attributes with your own understanding so as to gain reputation as a critical thinker which you are definitely not. Meanwhile, your reasoning of Allah is only running wild, and driving you blindly into perdition. I pray that should not be your case.

For Allah is the highest degree of perfection in all his attributes and he shares no semblance with any of his creations in them. His attributes are absolute and eternal. In his hand are all goodness, and everything good comes from him to whoever he wishes.

Whatever you perceives as bad in your logic be it death, poverty, natural disasters etc may be otherwise in the true reality. Poverty that induces humility is better than riches that heralds gory death. One may have to be briefly confined to a sickbed out of the mercy of Allah in order to escape a stray bullet or something worse. You will only get to comprehend the apparent which you will term as bad in your human logic, but the wisdom behind those occurrences are only known to Allah. Meanwhile, He does not owe you any explanations as to why they occur.

You often times make reference to death which is ridiculous. Death in whatever form it assumes be it natural disaster, pandemic, suicide, murder or whatever is death, and everyone must die eventually. Do you suppose that man should be immortal? This is a wild figment of your imagination which I am referring to.

Once again Yes, Allah dispenses good and bad according to his design. That is the reality of this worldly in the first place. You can take or leave it. Any foul languages you use on your creator is between you and him, but it is never too late for him.

Pls don't quote me again as your arrogance and closed mindedness is nauseating already

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Concept Of Omni by tintingz(m): 6:56pm On Jul 06, 2020
LabuleofNigeria:

I think you are now cleared about the concept of "Omni" as correctly defined but falsefuly described as "Only" in your argument.
Nope. Omni means all things, Omni-something means something you always do, absolute and only in that regard. It's problematic when the opposite comes it.

This is the biggest description of an Oxymoron.
From God himself comes knowledge. He always Know.
This is as good as saying...."Can you not be You"

That's why I said God cannot be omni-everything, if he's omni-everything can God not know?
Re: The Concept Of Omni by tintingz(m): 7:00pm On Jul 06, 2020
Aegerine:

Your problem as it has been repeatedly stressed again and again and again is your futile attempt at rationalizing Allah and his attributes with your own understanding so as to gain reputation as a critical thinker which you are definitely not. Meanwhile, your reasoning of Allah is only running wild, and driving you blindly into perdition. I pray that should not be your case.

For Allah is the highest degree of perfection in all his attributes and he shares no semblance with any of his creations in them. His attributes are absolute and eternal. In his hand are all goodness, and everything good comes from him to whoever he wishes.

Whatever you perceives as bad in your logic be it death, poverty, natural disasters etc may be otherwise in the true reality. Poverty that induces humility is better than riches that heralds gory death. One may have to be briefly confined to a sickbed out of the mercy of Allah in order to escape a stray bullet or something worse. You will only get to comprehend the apparent which you will term as bad in your human logic, but the wisdom behind those occurrences are only known to Allah. Meanwhile, He does not owe you any explanations as to why they occur.

You often times make reference to death which is ridiculous. Death in whatever form it assumes be it natural disaster, pandemic, suicide, murder or whatever is death, and everyone must die eventually. Do you suppose that man should be immortal? This is a wild figment of your imagination which I am referring to.

Once again Yes, Allah dispenses good and bad according to his design. That is the reality of this worldly in the first place. You can take or leave it. Any foul languages you use on your creator is between you and him, but it is never too late for him.

Pls don't quote me again as your arrogance and closed mindedness is nauseating already

You've admitted Allah is evil and do evil things. I've heard you. smiley
Re: The Concept Of Omni by LabuleofNigeria: 7:07pm On Jul 06, 2020
tintingz:
Nope. Omni means all things, Omni-something means something you always do, absolute and only in that regard. It's problematic when the opposite comes it.

That's why I said God cannot be omni-everything, if he's omni-everything can God not know?

Why did you add this to your recent definition. I hate hypocrisy. Come to the table with facts not lies angry

You yourself defined "Omni" from the dictionary at the start of your post. Why the sudden alteration to its meaning just now ?
Omni has nothing to do with the word "Only"
It means "All..."
Re: The Concept Of Omni by tintingz(m): 7:12pm On Jul 06, 2020
LabuleofNigeria:

Why did you add this to your recent definition. I hate hypocrisy. Come to the table with facts not lies angry

You yourself defined "Omni" from the dictionary at the start of your post. Why the sudden alteration to its meaning just now ?
Omni has nothing to do with the word "Only"
It means "All..."

Oh my goodness. Are you reading another thing?

Omni means all things. OMNI-SOMETHING(affix) e.g omni-potent is something you only and absolutely do in that regard.
Re: The Concept Of Omni by LabuleofNigeria: 7:21pm On Jul 06, 2020
tintingz:

omni-
/ˈɒmni/

- all; of all things.

- in all ways or places.

Now Omni is used for God because he's said to be a perfect being, so Omni is attributed to God, so for God to appear perfect theists have to use the affixes for every God attributes e.g omni-scient, omni-present, omni-potent, omni-benevolent etc

No dictionary uses the word Only ti define Omni. I hate lies & hypocrisy. learn to be sincere.
Re: The Concept Of Omni by LabuleofNigeria: 7:22pm On Jul 06, 2020
The fact that you are Omni on one concept doest not stop you from being Omni is the exact opposite of same concept. English 101.

Go ask anyone
grin
Re: The Concept Of Omni by tintingz(m): 7:28pm On Jul 06, 2020
LabuleofNigeria:

No dictionary uses the word Only ti define Omni. I hate lies & hypocrisy. learn to be sincere.

Holly crap!

The definition isn't with an "affix". It's not attached to an attributes. I gave examples further in my post.

Here,

By definition Omni is "all" + love = it means ALL what he do is to love.

Do you have problem with comprehension?
Re: The Concept Of Omni by tintingz(m): 7:30pm On Jul 06, 2020
LabuleofNigeria:
The fact that you are Omni on one concept doest not stop you from being Omni is the exact opposite of same concept. English 101.

Go ask anyone
grin

If you're all-knowing can you not know? Answer that.
Re: The Concept Of Omni by LabuleofNigeria: 7:35pm On Jul 06, 2020
tintingz:

Holly crap!

The definition isn't with an "affix". It's not attached to an attributes. I gave examples further in my post.

Here,

By definition Omni is "all" + love = it means ALL what he do is to love.

Do you have problem with comprehension?

I (LabuleofNigeria) can decide to be All-nice & still be all-wicked to people based on my choice and likeness to people.
Being all-nice can never stop making me become all-wicked at various places to various folks
Hypocrisy has led you to changing simple words & meaning.

"All" isnt same as "Only" stop being rude to yourself !
Re: The Concept Of Omni by LordReed(m): 7:38pm On Jul 06, 2020
LabuleofNigeria:

You have no way of know if the sun is necessary for life to exist because the only lifeforms you've encountered are dependent on the sun.
Re: The Concept Of Omni by LordReed(m): 7:39pm On Jul 06, 2020
LabuleofNigeria:

You set up a false dichotomy, you forgot neutral exists.
Re: The Concept Of Omni by tintingz(m): 7:43pm On Jul 06, 2020
LabuleofNigeria:

I (LabuleofNigeria) can decide to be All-nice & still be all-wicked to people based on my choice and likeness to people.
Being all-nice can never stop making me become all-wicked at various places to various folks
Hypocrisy has led you to changing simple words & meaning.

"All" isnt same as "Only" stop being rude to yourself !

You can't be all-nice and all-wicked, they're conflicting.

Can you be on and off at the same time?
Re: The Concept Of Omni by LabuleofNigeria: 7:50pm On Jul 06, 2020
tintingz:

You can't be all-nice and all-wicked, they're conflicting.

Can you be on and off at the same time?

Please go back to school. i am not here to teach diction.

Same God who blessed Davido with songs and wealth has blessed Suraju with house rent debts.
I can choose to be nice to my Kola and be wicked to Bayo. Its still me.
Re: The Concept Of Omni by LabuleofNigeria: 7:51pm On Jul 06, 2020
Whenever you run outta logic, stop twisting english words, rather accept to have learned. Much love
Re: The Concept Of Omni by tintingz(m): 7:51pm On Jul 06, 2020
LabuleofNigeria:

Please go back to school. i am not here to teach diction.

Same God who blessed Davido with songs and wealth has blessed Suraju with house rent debts.
I can choose to be nice to my Kola and be wicked to Bayo. Its still me.

If you're all-on, can you off?
Re: The Concept Of Omni by tintingz(m): 7:52pm On Jul 06, 2020
LabuleofNigeria:
Whenever you run outta logic, stop twisting english words, rather accept to have learned. Much love

Lol. You've comprehension problem or you're deliberately being dishonest.
Re: The Concept Of Omni by LabuleofNigeria: 7:57pm On Jul 06, 2020
tintingz:

Lol. You've comprehension problem or you're deliberately being dishonest.

You have dissapointed your fellow Atheist once again son ! thanks for your illogical display of confussion.

Thread Closed !
Re: The Concept Of Omni by LordReed(m): 8:23pm On Jul 06, 2020
LabuleofNigeria:

You have dissapointed your fellow Atheist once again son ! thanks for your illogical display of confussion.

Thread Closed !

Actually the disappointment should be coming from your fellow believers. You just presented an acute failure of logic. A thing cannot have all of a certain property and have all of the exact opposite of those properties at the same time. Something cannot be have all positive charge and all negative charge at the same time. Something cannot be all black and all white at the same time. The use of all precludes any other property.

Unless of course you want us to consider that your god is an illogical concept which does not adhere to the rules of logic, that would be fine.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Concept Of Omni by whitelotus: 9:01pm On Jul 06, 2020
Simple illustration.

Omni is a problem.

God is omniscient.

That is, God knows everything.

But if God knows everything, that means he cannot forget.

But if God cannot forget, then he doesn't know how to forget or at least, how it feels to forget.

Contradiction

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Concept Of Omni by LabuleofNigeria: 9:27pm On Jul 06, 2020
LordReed:

Actually the disappointment should be coming from your fellow believers. You just presented an acute failure of logic. A thing cannot have all of a certain property and have all of the exact opposite of those properties at the same time. Something cannot be have all positive charge and all negative charge at the same time. Something cannot be all black and all white at the same time. The use of all precludes any other property.

Unless of course you want us to consider that your god is an illogical concept which does not adhere to the rules of logic, that would be fine.

I can see you both lack simple english understanding.
"Something cannot be all black and all white at the same time" YES
We are talking about "attributes" here, not "item or object" as gullibly described by you.

I can be "Kind" to Mr A & act directly opposite to Mr. B.

Re: The Concept Of Omni by LordReed(m): 9:31pm On Jul 06, 2020
LabuleofNigeria:

I can see you both lack simple english understanding.
"Something cannot be all black and all white at the same time" YES
We are talking about "attributes" here, not "item or object" as gullibly described by you.

I can be "Kind" to Mr A & act directly opposite to Mr. B.

Then you are not ALL kind or ALL wicked. The use of ALL precludes any other attribute. The failure of English comprehension here is from you because apparently you don't know the meaning of ALL.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

Islamic View On Abduction / Muhammad Was The Greatest Prophet / Allahu Appeared On A Tree In Ilorin.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.