Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,073 members, 7,845,516 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 07:14 PM

Okposi Lake In Eboniyi Produces Salt, It Is One Of Nigeria's Natural Wonders - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Okposi Lake In Eboniyi Produces Salt, It Is One Of Nigeria's Natural Wonders (1032 Views)

Dangote’s Bid To Merge Sugar, Salt, Rice Businesses Hits Brick Wall / Jabi Lake Mall Temporarily Closed / APIN: Kano Footwear Factory That Produces 1.2 Million Pairs Daily (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okposi Lake In Eboniyi Produces Salt, It Is One Of Nigeria's Natural Wonders by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jul 07, 2020
The lake of Okposi in Ebonyi produces salt and has been the centre of production for the people in the community

- Discovered by two hunters in dire need for water according to folklore, it was a good place to get salt during the civil war

- The lake birthed a popular market called the Odenigbo Okposi whe

The lake of Okposi in Ebonyi state is one of nature's wonders. According to Folio NG, the water level in the lake is on the low during the rainy season and high in the dry season.

Only scaled fishes survive in it as it has been a source of salt to the indigenes for over 400 years. A local oral story has it that it was discovered by two local hunters who were on the search for water to satiate their thirst.

The women in the community have been latching on the power of solar technology to produce salt as buyers come in from far and wide to buy. A popular market called Odenigbo Okposi became known for this.

Okposi lake is located in Ohaozara local government area in the state. It serves as a good resource centre during the civil war as people came to it for salt.

Another salt lake in the local government is called the Uburu Salt Lake. Though it is bigger than the one in Okposi, its salt production is only seasonal.

https://www.legit.ng/1345417-okposi-lake-eboniyi-produces-salt-nigerias-natural-wonders.html?fbclid=IwAR3vxA8NTiDvficI8u6JjuEN0cczd2-HIDwECkD3iYhHFWTxXgwO05qAUqE

Re: Okposi Lake In Eboniyi Produces Salt, It Is One Of Nigeria's Natural Wonders by yanabasee1(m): 2:28pm On Jul 07, 2020
Nigeria is blessed.... But cursed with corrupt leaders....

2 Likes

Re: Okposi Lake In Eboniyi Produces Salt, It Is One Of Nigeria's Natural Wonders by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jul 07, 2020
Ebonyi state is blessed....

1 Like

Re: Okposi Lake In Eboniyi Produces Salt, It Is One Of Nigeria's Natural Wonders by sylve11: 2:33pm On Jul 07, 2020
Nice info @ op. cool
Re: Okposi Lake In Eboniyi Produces Salt, It Is One Of Nigeria's Natural Wonders by Golan007: 2:39pm On Jul 07, 2020
Okposi and green snakes.
Re: Okposi Lake In Eboniyi Produces Salt, It Is One Of Nigeria's Natural Wonders by Goddyj(m): 2:48pm On Jul 07, 2020
My grandmother's factory. My grandmother was one the most successful producers of salt from this lake. She had about five ewés(Salt houses), where the liquid is poured into Large ceramic pots with tiny pores at the bottom of the pots.

The water drains through those tiny pores, leaving behind clean crystal salt, ready for moulding into any desired forms.
The salt is also a very potent medicine for any stomach problem.

7 Likes

Re: Okposi Lake In Eboniyi Produces Salt, It Is One Of Nigeria's Natural Wonders by GuyWise101(m): 2:50pm On Jul 07, 2020
God bless Igbo land and her children.

2 Likes

Re: Okposi Lake In Eboniyi Produces Salt, It Is One Of Nigeria's Natural Wonders by Sunshyne200(m): 3:35pm On Jul 07, 2020
That's my village, have been there and even tasted the water and its totally true.

Not so far from FGGC Okposi

2 Likes

Re: Okposi Lake In Eboniyi Produces Salt, It Is One Of Nigeria's Natural Wonders by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jul 07, 2020
Sunshyne200:
That's my village, have been there and even tasted the water and its totally true.

Not so far from FGGC Okposi

I'll love to visit there........

Maybe you'll show me around
Re: Okposi Lake In Eboniyi Produces Salt, It Is One Of Nigeria's Natural Wonders by Sunshyne200(m): 6:02pm On Jul 07, 2020
Xavfra:

I'll love to visit there........

Maybe you'll show me around

Yeah, most welcome any day any time

1 Like

Re: Okposi Lake In Eboniyi Produces Salt, It Is One Of Nigeria's Natural Wonders by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jul 07, 2020
Sunshyne200:

Yeah, most welcome any day any time

Thanks.....
Re: Okposi Lake In Eboniyi Produces Salt, It Is One Of Nigeria's Natural Wonders by ManishSmith(m): 6:28pm On Jul 07, 2020
God bless Okposi..... Op you forgot to mention that men don't go to the water to fetch and it is also a sacred place.... Eka nsi bu Mmahi!
Re: Okposi Lake In Eboniyi Produces Salt, It Is One Of Nigeria's Natural Wonders by PureGoldh(m): 6:42pm On Jul 07, 2020
Nature is blessed
Re: Okposi Lake In Eboniyi Produces Salt, It Is One Of Nigeria's Natural Wonders by chelseamann(m): 8:22pm On Jul 07, 2020
Wonderful

(1) (Reply)

Pls Help Me Make A Good Choice Between These Two Businesses Investment / GTB Charged $45.05 To Transfer $900 To Access Bank / Which Is The Best Pension Fund Administrator (pfa)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.