Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,089 members, 7,852,690 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 12:26 AM

Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" (1571 Views)

What Is That Story You Heard That Confirmed How Bad Nigeria Has Become? / 2019: Attempt To Cede Kwara To The Yoruba Will Fail – Baraje / Proscribed IPOB Members Storm Church With Biafran Flags In Enugu (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by akanke79: 11:45pm On Jul 08, 2020
Banjo almost captured Lagos for the Biafran Army in 1967, and his failure led to his execution.
There are some who believe that Nigeria’s Civil War, fought between 1967 and 1970, is not really a civil war, but a dispute between a set of tribes; Yoruba and Hausa on one and the East on the other.

This assertion does not consider people like Lt. Col. Banjo, the Yoruba soldier who rose among the ranks fighting for the Biafran Army and did so until his death at the height of the war.
Not much is known about Lt. Col. Banjo’s early life. He was born “Victor Adebukunola Banjo” as an Ijebu-man in Ogun State on April 1, 1930.
From Ogun’s foggy towns, he joined the Army as one of a generation of precocious young men in 1953 as Warrant Officer 52.

The records state that Banjo was the sixteenth Nigerian to be commissioned as an officer in the Nigerian Army, (NA 16).

In those days, Nigerian officers were entitled to training in England or nearby countries, by virtue of our colonial tie to Britain.

Banjo was a product of the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, where he also obtained a B Sc. in Mechanical Engineering.

By the early 1960s, Banjo had risen to become the first Nigerian Director of the Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Corps of the Nigerian Army.

It was the ideal life. He was a young man in his 30s with a young wife and two children.
On January 15, 1966, many of Banjo’s peers executed the decision to take power from the civilian government.

They went on a rampage, killing many national and regional leaders in what we have now simplified into calling the 1966 coup. It is perhaps the most important day in Nigeria’s history.

Detention
It is also the day when Banjo’s travails began, the day when life decided to throw him through filters and ask questions that make a man wonder what drives him at the core.
Shortly after Major-General Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi came to power following the 1966 coup, Lt. Col. Banjo was summoned to the office of the newly-selected Supreme Military Commander and was arrested while he was still waiting to see the Head of State.
Few people can say they understand what happened next but Banjo was accused of planning to kill the Head of State, General Aguiyi-Ironsi and summarily detained.
It has been suggested in accounts of that period that Ironsi was simply caught in the middle. The politics of the coup had been very tribal.
After a team of largely Igbo soldiers had murdered the majority of the North’s leaders, there was pressure on him.

From the North, he was expected to bring the coup plotters to justice. Eastern leaders were pleased that the perceived Northern stranglehold had been broken. Ironsi did not know what to do and the people needed scapegoats.

It was not the first time that matters of tribe would determine the course of his life.
Banjo was detained until the Northern counter-coup in the same year. In a different world, Banjo would have been released. But somewhere in the ripple effects of that coup, Banjo tried to stand up for a Yoruba soldier.

Despite protesting his innocence, he was thrown in jail for the second time. He would stay there until May 1967.

Letters from Prison
It is often said that adversity brings out the best in men. And while he would have flourished undoubtedly outside the prison walls, it was then that Banjo showed the moral fibre and liberal system of beliefs that would make him stand out at the most trying moments in his short life.
Most of these can be seen in his letters.
According to the book “A Gift of Sequins”, at the time, Banjo had a young family of four children. He did his best to staying touch and improve what was undoubtedly a hard time through constant letter writing.

Banjo’s letters revealed that he had a liberal, non-tribalistic worldview. At the core, he was a man who loved his country and wanted to see his fellow soldiers do much better.

When the Biafra War began, Banjo had been moved to a prison in the East. Colonel Odumegwu Ojukwu, the leader of the new Biafran nation, released him and made him a colonel.

Despite his tribe, Banjo sought to fight for the new country against what he saw as institutional tribalism and genocide.

Later he would say, “However when l discovered the emerging trend that followed the declaration of Independence of Biafra, it became clear to me that a war with the North was imminent."
“I decided to stay behind and assist in the prosecution of the war, both for the sake of my friendship with Colonel Ojukwu and in the hope that having assisted to fight back the Northern threat to Biafra, he would assist me with troops to rid the Mid-West and Lagos of the same menace.”

There was scepticism to his role in the Biafran Army, but Banjo quickly proved himself to his fellow soldiers and earned their belief.

The Yoruba Biafran
He proved himself as a master tactician and a fearless soldier, traits that he proved when the Biafran Army attacked Nigeria.
When the Nigerian Army invaded Biafra on July 6, 1967, Ojukwu sent Lt. Col. Banjo and Major Albert Okonkwo to invade Nigeria.

Banjo and his team moved quickly. He was able to capture Benin City in less than 24 hours.
By the time his division took a break, he and his soldiers were able to get within 300 kilometres of the Nigerian capital Lagos.

Something changed when they tried to enter Lagos.
The Biafran offensive on Lagos started heavily and with purpose. Reports of that time say it moved at a “lighting quick speed” but midway, Banjo, along with his fellow commanders, Okonkwo and Major Emmanuel Ifeajuna stopped and turned their army back to Biafra.
On getting back to Biafra, Ojukwu had the soldiers detained.

It is reported that Ojukwu saw their retreat as an act to sabotage Biafra’s existence.
Why they did is not exactly known. Some relations of Ifeajuna have made claims that, as the was war progressed, Banjo and Ifeajuna did not share the idea of a break up of Nigeria.
Their cases were taken to a tribunal. After the first tribunal dismissed the case, a second tribunal sentenced the soldiers to death.

At his sentencing, Banjo said, “ I came into the war at a moment of temporary collapse of the Biafran fighting effort, when it became quite clear to me that the fighting effort of the Biafran Army was not only being incompetently handled, but also being sabotaged.”

“Since then, it has been my fortune to command the Biafran troops on their successful exploits.”
“On the whole, l had in private, told Col Ojukwu that l could never be made to stand charged for having plotted against his office and his person. There was no plot against him”

On September 22, 1967, Banjo, Emmanuel Ifeajuna, and Philip Alale were marched into the Enugu city centre and tied to a pole. A firing squad of Biafran soldiers fired at them.

When Banjo was hit, he reportedly yelled defiantly, “I’m not dead yet!” and he had to be shot multiple times before he died.

Today, the legacy of the soldiers who fought on both sides has been largely forgotten. But in a country where tribal relations are still harsh, Lt. Col. Banjo set a template for living beyond tribe, for the greater purpose of humanity.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pulse.ng/lt-col-banjo-have-you-heard-of-the-yoruba-biafran/pnxw2p9.amp
Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by bigdammyj: 11:46pm On Jul 08, 2020
Yes not new info

1 Like

Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by Nobody: 12:04am On Jul 09, 2020
He fought on their side, yet they still killed him. He will always be a Yoruba man to them

6 Likes

Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by slimfit1(m): 12:52am On Jul 09, 2020
My uncle
Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by Nobody: 3:01am On Jul 09, 2020
kingawothefirst:
He fought on their side, yet they still killed him. He will always be a Yoruba man to them
Dont be a tawt, how was his execution about his yorubaness when he was executed alongside igbos?

That ironsi sha was a shortsighted fellow.

8 Likes

Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by overall90: 3:46am On Jul 09, 2020
kingawothefirst:

Victor Banjo didn't fight for Biafra.
he was imprisoned in Enugu for his involvement in the January coup.
Ojukwu released him and put him in command to liberate the west and Lagos and clear it of the activities of northern troops.
he had almost succeeded before the expedition was sabotaged by the British(who wanted the crisis to continue for their own selfish interest) and some yoruba elements.
when I read here on how yorubas fought Biafrans at Ore,I just laugh because one can see from the post that that is far from the truth.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by engrtee(f): 3:56am On Jul 09, 2020
1968/is past. move on

1 Like

Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by tungamaje: 4:10am On Jul 09, 2020
engrtee:
1968/is past. move on

You can never know where you are going if you forget where you come from. That;s why learning history is important

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by Noneroone(m): 5:12am On Jul 09, 2020
Banjo was a traitor. Stop rewriting history.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by DiagnoPolitics: 5:25am On Jul 09, 2020
hotdo9:

Dont be a tawt, how was his execution about his yorubaness when he was executed alongside igbos?

That ironsi sha was a shortsighted fellow.

Was it Ironsi that killed him? Abeg I need your reply. grin grin grin
Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by Nobody: 5:32am On Jul 09, 2020
Noneroone:
Banjo was a traitor. Stop rewriting history.

How was he a traitor, what was his offence. Please give us the details and provide reliable sources as well, thanks.
Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by Chiedu4Trump: 5:53am On Jul 09, 2020
hotdo9:

Nigerians look for reasons to demonize the igbos

They say it was an igbo coup yet the people who stopped it were igbos

Funny that the people who killed igbos for the North are all regretting now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDZOKvFtIRk

What Ojukwu saw, Gideon Orkar saw & what Kanu is seeing is clear

The Fulanis hates the South & Middle Belt

Doubt me?,
Ask Tinubu & Osinbajo

Nigeria attacked Biafra,thats what started the war

2 Likes

Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by helinues: 6:02am On Jul 09, 2020
Yes oo.. I have heard it several times .

Me wondering why the Igbo people have abandoned their indigenous brothers in some part of Ogun state...

Ijebu Igbo.... cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by haffaze777(m): 6:45am On Jul 09, 2020
helinues:
Yes oo.. I have heard it several times .

Me wondering why the Igbo people have abandoned their indigenous brothers in some part of Ogun state...

Ijebu Igbo.... cheesy grin

Stop saying what u don't know brother,we have Ohaneze Ndigbo and ipigs meeting last week,though I didn't attend Ipig because I'm not pig but I attended Ohaneze Ndijebu Igbo meetinggrin
Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by helinues: 6:48am On Jul 09, 2020
haffaze777:

Stop saying what u don't know brother,we have Ohaneze Ndigbo and ipigs meeting last week,though I didn't attend Ipig because I'm not pig but I attended Ohaneze Ndijebu Igbo meetinggrin

Ipigs people in Ijebu Igbo should raise more awareness to their brothers at upper Iweka bridge .. They have been neglected and abandoned..

By the time Biafra is achieved, the few lands they currently occupied in Ijebu Igbo will be moved to Biafra land... Don't ask me how cos that's the same plan for Igbo minorities residing in SS
Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by Dande55: 6:52am On Jul 09, 2020
DuwaRepublic:

How was he a traitor, what was his offence. Please give us the details and provide reliable sources as well, thanks.
The way you guys keep rewriting history ehn. Victor sabotaged the Biafrans on their way to Lagos to dethrone Gowon. He's a typical Yoruba man. After being released by Ojukwu. Ojukwu trusted him to emancipate Lagos from the shackles of Gowon.
You Yorubas can never change history. Not in this internet era. Back stabbers

1 Like

Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by Tranquillity360: 6:58am On Jul 09, 2020
Banjo didn't fight for Biafra,rather Ojukwu wanted to help the ungrateful people in west by giving the yoruba man some boys to liberate his people.

If only Ojukwu know them well,he won't have tried it.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by haffaze777(m): 7:05am On Jul 09, 2020
helinues:

Ipigs people in Ijebu [b]Igbo should raise more awareness to their brothers at upper Iweka bridge[/b] .. They have been neglected and abandoned..

By the time Biafra is achieved, the few lands they currently occupied in Ijebu Igbo will be moved to Biafra land... Don't ask me how cos that's the same plan for Igbo minorities residing in SS

They will do that when they elect ipig as next governor of Ogun state,they are tired of been marginalized in Ogun state and they've perfected how to boot afonja governor out of Oke mosan by 2023,Afonja won't know what hit them by 2023,even their aspirant has started promising their members 3 gallons of kerosene when he eventually win come 2023.You know you can't separate Igbos from kerosene.ipigs are bastardgrin
Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by Nobody: 7:24am On Jul 09, 2020
Dande55:

The way you guys keep rewriting history ehn. Victor sabotaged the Biafrans on their way to Lagos to dethrone Gowon. He's a typical Yoruba man. After being released by Ojukwu. Ojukwu trusted him to emancipate Lagos from the shackles of Gowon.
You Yorubas can never change history. Not in this internet era. Back stabbers

You know what, no need to cite any source. He got what he deserved for fighting on the side of Biafra in the first place. If you people didn’t kill him, I’m sure Obasanjo would’ve killed him for not having sense and siding with stone eaters.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by selemempe: 7:48am On Jul 09, 2020
DuwaRepublic:

Actually ojukwu found out that Banjo and Ifeajuna had contacted Gowon and was playing both sides.
There plan was to carry out a 3rd coup against Gowon and ojukwu...so ojukwu got them killed.
Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by Dande55: 7:50am On Jul 09, 2020
DuwaRepublic:

You now what, no need to cite any source. He got what he deserved for fighting on the side of Biafra in the first place. If you people didn’t kill him, I’m sure Obasanjo would’ve killed him for not having sense and siding with stone eaters.
He never fought for Biafrans. If you have assertive brain, you should have not repeated what I corrected you on. This is why I said Awolowo free Education was a waste.

1 Like

Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by orisa37: 7:55am On Jul 09, 2020
The Lord watches over the ways of the Righteous but the ways of the Wicked shall perish.

1 Like

Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by BabaRamota1980: 8:30am On Jul 09, 2020
overall90:

Victor Banjo didn't fight for Biafra.
he was imprisoned in Enugu for his involvement in the January coup.
Ojukwu released him and put him in command to liberate the west and Lagos and clear it of the activities of northern troops.
he had almost succeeded before the expedition was sabotaged by the British(who wanted the crisis to continue for their own selfish interest) and some yoruba elements.
when I read here on how yorubas fought Biafrans at Ore, I just laugh because one can see from the post that that is far from the truth.

The article said 300km to Lagos. That's Ore. It is shorter now due to expressway.

1 Like

Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by Nobody: 8:33am On Jul 09, 2020
Chiedu4Trump:

Nigerians look for reasons to demonize the igbos

They say it was an igbo coup yet the people who stopped it were igbos

Trash and balderdash.

Which igbo stopped it?? Ojukwu abi

When did Ojukwu stopped it, after they killed balewa and ahmadu Bello..

After the igbos mercilessly shot pregnant women of the north... When the igbos shot ladoke akintola and others mercilessly..

So that was when ojukwu stopped it abi.

And after the igbo coup, who became the Head of state again, an igbo man.. Ironsi

1966 was an igbo coup to bring an igbo head of state.

Take it or leave. Yeebos are evil

7 Likes

Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by Nobody: 8:34am On Jul 09, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

The article said 300km to Lagos. That's Ore. It is shorter now due to expressway.

Overall, with that image u shud learn
Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by Nobody: 8:35am On Jul 09, 2020
selemempe:
Actually ojukwu found out that Banjo and Ifeajuna had contacted Gowon and was playing both sides.
There plan was to carry out a 3rd coup against Gowon and ojukwu...so ojukwu got them killed.

Ok give us a source of ur claim

Or u don't av a media evidence??
Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by Nobody: 8:36am On Jul 09, 2020
Dande55:

He never fought for Biafrans. If you have assertive brain, you should have not repeated what I corrected you on. This is why I said Awolowo free Education was a waste.

Who did he fight for? Ghana abi

2 Likes

Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by Nobody: 8:37am On Jul 09, 2020
Tranquillity360:
Banjo didn't fight for Biafra,rather Ojukwu wanted to help the ungrateful people in west by giving the yoruba man some boys to liberate his people.

If only Ojukwu know them well,he won't have tried it.

Cry me ocean

U go w**p tire grin

2 Likes

Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by selemempe: 8:47am On Jul 09, 2020
igbobywedding:

Ok give us a source of ur claim

Or u don't av a media evidence??
read excerpts from this book

Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by Dande55: 8:54am On Jul 09, 2020
igbobywedding:

Who did he fight for? Ghana abi
Keep trying to rewrite history. He's a traitor and backstabber. Just like you people.
Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by overall90: 8:54am On Jul 09, 2020
DuwaRepublic:

You now what, no need to cite any source. He got what he deserved for fighting on the side of Biafra in the first place. If you people didn’t kill him, I’m sure Obasanjo would’ve killed him for not having sense and siding with stone eaters.

one thing I have been trying to correct you kids on this forum is the thinking that Nigeria of 1960s is the same as Nigeria post civil war.
other than Zik and Awolowo political differences,there was no apparent problems between the yorubas and igbos.as a matter of fact there were more differences and disunity among the yorubas as result of the political feud between Awolowo and Akintola.
Obasanjo and other yorubas who fought in that war fought as Nigerian soldiers and not as yoruba soldiers.
the issues involving yorubas and igbos are more of economic than political.
firstly it was awolowo who proposed the use economic blockade and starvation as a means of warfare,then followed by his post war policy of 20 pounds and the indigenization policy which transferred everything that is Nigerian economy to the yorubas.
then when Obasanjo became head of state,he set up the Nasir boundary adjustment committee which ceded a lot of oil bearing communities in then Imo state to rivers and ordered oil companies to relocate their offices to Lagos.
today your people are calling on Tinubu and obasanjo to help them that igbos have bought everywhere.this is exactly how the Yoruba work force called Awolowo to help them and not allow Igbos return to their jobs they left before the civil war.it was that call that led to the indigenization policy that transferred the economy to the yorubas.
Re: Have You Heard Of The "Yoruba Biafran?" by overall90: 9:11am On Jul 09, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

and you didn't read where it was stated that they stopped and turned their army back.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2023: I’ll Not Hesitate If Our People Want Me To Serve As President - Orji Kalu / EndSARS: See What Adaojo Victor Posted Online About Buhari / Buhari For President 2023 (Photo Speak)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.