Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,041 members, 7,821,586 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:23 PM

Question For The Descendants Of The Benin Empire - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Question For The Descendants Of The Benin Empire (14572 Views)

Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) / The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History / I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Question For The Descendants Of The Benin Empire by PhysicsQED(m): 12:54pm On Oct 01, 2011
There's nothing circular about it at all. Some of it is clearly sarcasm.

The truth is some people write without thinking. If there is nothing impressive about past military expansion, then don't let me see anybody bringing up Oyo empire again. I am proud of several aspects of the Oyo empire, as an African, but I take some exception to hypocrites insinuating that there is necessarily some sort of huge problem or possibly "tribalistic" motivation in saying Benin conquered this or that place, meanwhile people will do the exact same thing (claims about certain conquests, a few of which don't stand up to scrutiny) for Oyo that somehow draws criticism when it's done with Benin.

Also, anybody who is interested should read Robin Law's book The Oyo Empire, c.1600-c.1836: a West African imperialism in the era of the Atlantic slave trade to see how strongly some of the claims about Oyo's conquests over some fellow Yoruba groups and even a few non-Yoruba groups are contested or dismissed outright by those groups not only back then, but up to this day. Both empires had legitimate and actual imperial expansion, but both also have a few claims about the extent of their conquest that are merely "inventions of history" but for some reason there is mostly only criticism of some of the doubtful Benin claims.
Re: Question For The Descendants Of The Benin Empire by amor4ce(m): 3:40pm On Oct 01, 2011
PhysicsQED, I admire your attempts to analyze objectively.

Concernnig past military expansion, I was referring to how some Nigerians seem to be using it blindly to fuel tribalism. My point also is, where has that got us today?
Re: Question For The Descendants Of The Benin Empire by PhysicsQED(m): 4:44pm On Oct 01, 2011
I was just speaking from my perspective about why mentioning conquest of some sort is unavoidable when talking about those ancient empires, regardless of whether one wants to be a chauvinist or not.

But, yeah, tribalism has gotten Nigeria nowhere, and I do understand your disdain for using ancient history for present day tribalism and chauvinistic claims.
Re: Question For The Descendants Of The Benin Empire by amor4ce(m): 12:04pm On Oct 02, 2011
I have a suggestion.

For any thread about the military activities of any Nigerian ethnic nationality on this forum to be taken seriously, such should include
(a) accounts of military expansion and accompanying reasons;
(b) accounts of military defeat/retreat and accompanying reasons; and
(c) accounts of the rise and fall of the concerned kingdoms.

I'm sure this would contribute to getting our history and histories right.
Re: Question For The Descendants Of The Benin Empire by tpiadotcom: 4:52pm On Jun 25, 2015
How did elephants even vanish from southern nigeria sef.

the forests are still there, just no elephants.

too black i guess.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ijaw Gospel Music / Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. / Yoruba's After The Fall Of Oyo Empire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.