Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,883 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:16 PM

Ohafia War Dance Of The Ohafia People - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ohafia War Dance Of The Ohafia People (2897 Views)

The Supernatural Fire Dance Of The Itsekiris / The Ema Dance Of The Urhobo People (photos) / Origin Of Ohafia War Dance (download MP3 Audio) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ohafia War Dance Of The Ohafia People by NwaOhafia: 7:53pm On Jul 13, 2020
The Ohafia War Dance is a popular war dance performed in several parts of Eastern Nigeria. The dance which has its roots from Ohafia is performed by a group of muscular men in commemoration of their strength in fighting and winning wars in the past

According to oral history, the ancestors of Ohafia were renowned to be mighty men of war who were always on the lookout for wars to take part in. The Ohafia warrior tradition which remains one of the fundamental identity of the people of Ohafia is hinged in the performance of ikpirikpi ogu - the practice of beheading a fallen enemy. A human skull is a proof of a man's courage and strength. Only those who brought home a human head could join the Ogbu-Isi society and wear an eagle's plume which is a symbol of courage.

The Ohafia War Dance which is also performed to celebrate an individual's achievement is headed by a lead dancer carrying a basket full of human skulls while holding a short cutlass and a small palm shoot in his mouth, while his fellow dancers dressed like fierce warriors mime the cutting off of human head while dancing to the music from the akwatankwa musical instrument thus portraying Ohafia as a land of brave warriors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUaJoGI-dA0

https://www.ohafia-tv.com/origin-of-ohafia-war-dance-download-mp3-audio/14/02/2020/

Re: Ohafia War Dance Of The Ohafia People by gregyboy(m): 11:38pm On Jul 13, 2020
Do they dance with the spirit like that of the urhobo if no then i would pasd
Re: Ohafia War Dance Of The Ohafia People by ATTemi: 12:18pm On Jul 14, 2020
Funny enough, Ohafia war dance originated from Abam. Ohafia copied them and with time, people forgot the origin of the famous Ohafia war dance!
Re: Ohafia War Dance Of The Ohafia People by Xenowerk4000(m): 3:15pm On Jul 15, 2020
ATTemi:
Funny enough, Ohafia war dance originated from Abam. Ohafia copied them and with time, people forgot the origin of the famous Ohafia war dance!
Really I've heard so much about Abam people (Eg Abam headhunters) . How many villages make up Abam ?
Re: Ohafia War Dance Of The Ohafia People by ATTemi: 5:37pm On Jul 15, 2020
Not really sure but about 15 or more.
Ozu Abam, Idimma Abam, Atani Abam, ndi oji, ndi okorie, amaeke, afia uzor, ndi ememe....this are the ones I can remember well.
Xenowerk4000:

Really I've heard so much about Abam people (Eg Abam headhunters) . How many villages make up Abam ?
Re: Ohafia War Dance Of The Ohafia People by NwaOhafia: 9:13pm On Jul 16, 2020
ATTemi:
Its not true

At one point, some of them headed towards Abam leading the group heading to Abam, was a man known as Ezeama Atita, and his two sons called Uduma Ezeama and Onyereobi Ezeama.

When they got to Abam, Onyereobi's wife, who was heavy with pregnancy, could no longer walk. He, therefore, remained in Abam with his pregnant wife, while the group continued on the journey. In the present location of Ohafia

Abam and ohafia were brothers and have similar culture
Re: Ohafia War Dance Of The Ohafia People by NwaOhafia: 9:21pm On Jul 16, 2020
Xenowerk4000:

Abam is made up of 26 villages.

Ndiebe Abam, Ozu Abam, Idima Abam, Amaeke Abam, Ndi Oji Abam, Amelu Abam, Amuru Abam, Amaogbu Abam, Atan Abam, Ndi Okereke Abam, Ndi Ojugwo Abam, Ndi Inya Abam, Ndi Mmeme Abam, Ndi Agwu Abam etc

1 Like

Re: Ohafia War Dance Of The Ohafia People by ATTemi: 1:46am On Jul 17, 2020
Ask elders who know the history very well,
you'll learn.

I never doubted Abam and Ohafia being siblings, na war dance I dey talk about.
NwaOhafia:

Its not true

Abam and ohafia were brothers and have similar culture

(1) (Reply)

Inside Abuja’s Hard Drugs Trade [exposed] / The Persians and Portugese of Somalia / Funny English Names That The Igbos Bear.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.