Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,819 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War (35958 Views)

Yakubu Gowon Slumps At Burial Of David Akpodiete Ejoor In Delta State / Moment Yakubu Gowon Heard About His Overthrow While In Uganda / Yakubu Gowon Salutes President Buhari (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by ProfOlu(m): 8:49pm On Jul 13, 2020
Wole Soyinka turns 86 years today, he has been a critics, who always fights for justice, democracy, and rule of law. During the civil war, General Yakubu Gowon arrested and detained him.

Wole Soyinka At 86: “Why I Detained Him During Civil War”- Yakubu Gowon

In this story General Yakubu Gowon the former head of state, explained why he detained wole Soyinka during the civil war.

Why I Detained Soyinka- Gowon

In July 2004, General Yakubu Gowon seized the occasion of the banquet organised by the Ogun State government at the auditorium of the Government House, Valley View, Abeokuta, to mark the end of activities for Soyinka’s 70th birthday celebrations to explain and defend his regime.

Gowon told the guests “When I was Head of State, he (Soyinka) did not want anything in uniform and reports reaching me were that he was doing everything to effect a change of the system.”

“I was told by some people that I should make sure that he (Soyinka) did not circulate much. Gowon waxed humorous: “At that time, he was very, very young; he had no grey hairs, perhaps what happened to him (his imprisonment) might have caused this his numerous grey hair. Both of us were very young and idealistic at that time and I happened to be the man in charge of Nigeria at that time.”

“The tiny young man was trying everything he could to disrupt the normal process. We sat down and decided he must not circulate anymore because we thought he was then becoming very dangerous to the system, so we proffered what could be done to him. So he was my guest for two years and four months.”

Gowon said these in the presence of guests which included Governor of Edo State, Lucky Igbinedion; Presidential Adviser, Chief Ojo Maduekwe, Minister of State for Agriculture, Chief Olawale Dada; Ambassador Segun Olusola and Director-General of the Voice of Nigeria (VON) Alhaji Taiwo Alimi. Others were Chief Bola Kuforiji-Olubi, Dr. Onaolapo Soleye, Chief Bode George, Alhaji Jubril Martins-Kuye, Chief Ayo Opadokun and Oba Funso Adeolu, Alaye of Ode-Remo. Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Prince Bola Ajibola; Chief Judge of Ogun State, Charles Oluremi Jacobs; the Primate of the Church of Aladura, Ayo Ositelu; Maj.-Gen. Abdulkareem Adisa (rtd), representing Gen. Ibrahim Babangida (rtd), traditional rulers and other top government officials were also there.

http://www.thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2020/07/12/soyinka-at-86-why-i-detained-him-during-civil-war-gowon/

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Akhigbeblog(m): 8:50pm On Jul 13, 2020
Ahhhhh front page again Second time in a roll!!! I dedicate this to Deborah Emife.... For always loving me

19 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by XXXXTENTACION: 8:53pm On Jul 13, 2020
This life sha no one knows tommorrow undecided

be kind to people you meet in life because you don't know where you might fall tommorow cool

i just imagine should soyinka decides that he wants to take revenge for what he went through in prison now cry

¿ cool %

35 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by TANTUMERGO007(m): 8:56pm On Jul 13, 2020
See this full that was shouting during Jonathan's regime has now finally lost his voice.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by PowerOfLove: 9:03pm On Jul 13, 2020
cool
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by ProfOlu(m): 9:04pm On Jul 13, 2020
ProfOlu:
Wole Soyinka turns 86 years today, he has been a critics, who always fight for justice, democracy, and rule of law. During the civil general Yakubu Gowon arrested him, and detained him. In this story General Yakubu Gowon the former head of state, explained why he detained wole Soyinka during the civil war.

Why I Detained Soyinka- Gowon
In July 2004, General Yakubu Gowon seized the occasion of the banquet organised by the Ogun State government at the auditorium of the Government House, Valley View, Abeokuta, to mark the end of activities for Soyinka’s 70th birthday celebrations to explain and defend his regime.
Gowon told the guests “When I was Head of State, he (Soyinka) did not want anything in uniform and reports reaching me were that he was doing everything to effect a change of the system.”
“I was told by some people that I should make sure that he (Soyinka) did not circulate much. Gowon waxed humorous: “At that time, he was very, very young; he had no grey hairs, perhaps what happened to him (his imprisonment) might have caused this his numerous grey hair. Both of us were very young and idealistic at that time and I happened to be the man in charge of Nigeria at that time.”
“The tiny young man was trying everything he could to disrupt the normal process. We sat down and decided he must not circulate anymore because we thought he was then becoming very dangerous to the system, so we proffered what could be done to him. So he was my guest for two years and four months.”
Gowon said these in the presence of guests which included Governor of Edo State, Lucky Igbinedion; Presidential Adviser, Chief Ojo Maduekwe, Minister of State for Agriculture, Chief Olawale Dada; Ambassador Segun Olusola and Director-General of the Voice of Nigeria (VON) Alhaji Taiwo Alimi. Others were Chief Bola Kuforiji-Olubi, Dr. Onaolapo Soleye, Chief Bode George, Alhaji Jubril Martins-Kuye, Chief Ayo Opadokun and Oba Funso Adeolu, Alaye of Ode-Remo. Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Prince Bola Ajibola; Chief Judge of Ogun State, Charles Oluremi Jacobs; the Primate of the Church of Aladura, Ayo Ositelu; Maj.-Gen. Abdulkareem Adisa (rtd), representing Gen. Ibrahim Babangida (rtd), traditional rulers and other top government officials were also there.

Truly nobody knows tomorrow

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Nightwolves: 9:05pm On Jul 13, 2020
TANTUMERGO007:
See this full that was shouting during Jonathan's regime has now finally lost his voice.
. Who

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Professorcplus(m): 9:33pm On Jul 13, 2020
Fame will come and fade away, power will vanish and people will live and die but remember what we do today becomes history tomorrow...

68 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by ProfOlu(m): 9:35pm On Jul 13, 2020
Professorcplus:
Fame will come and fade away, power will vanish and people will live and die but remember what we do today becomes history tomorrow...

Exactly

23 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by ProfOlu(m): 9:36pm On Jul 13, 2020
Professorcplus:

Nobody can stay in power for ever, it is just a matter of time.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jul 13, 2020
TANTUMERGO007:

U r Pained. Better get used to it grin

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by laiperi: 10:09pm On Jul 13, 2020
I did not know that Wole Soyinka has power to retaliate on Gowon. Even if he has, he is too graceful.

He took too many risks. Especially standing up for Ojukwu. He has since been called a traitor.

His grandkids are calling on him to fight for them now while they are busy with their soother, iPhone.

85 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Nigeriabiafra80: 10:10pm On Jul 13, 2020
Gowon
Heaven and hell will reject you if u don’t confess your sins

21 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Exmilitant(m): 10:13pm On Jul 13, 2020
XXXXTENTACION:

be kind to people you meet in life because you don't know where you might fall tommorow cool

i just imagine should soyinka decides that he wants to take revenge for what he went through in prison now cry

¿ cool %
What can he do to a retired General and Head of State?

9 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by SaintBeehot(m): 10:22pm On Jul 13, 2020
TANTUMERGO007:
you know my only problem with you guys?? you lack sense. Zero respect for elders.

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by PHAYOL81: 11:04pm On Jul 13, 2020
^^^^^^^^^
@SaintBeeHot, Those people are not just senseless but are also completely lost. Their problem to me is envy. What they don't have and it seems they cannot get, they start to badmouth it. Just leave him alone; it's their trademark.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by XXXXTENTACION: 11:09pm On Jul 13, 2020
Exmilitant:
What can he do to a retired General and Head of State?
Kick his ass cry

3 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by engrchykae(m): 11:15pm On Jul 13, 2020
laiperi:
I did not know that Wole Soyinka has power to retaliate on Gowon. Even if he has, he is too graceful.

He took too many risks. Especially standing up for Ojukwu. He has since been called a traitor.

His grandkids are calling on him to fight for them now while they are busy with their soother, iPhone.
soyinka didn't stand up for ojukwu rather he stood up for justice for all.
He understood how evil the caliphate is,he knew that if the Igbo is silenced,the entire south will lose.
He understood the Dynamics

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by 9gerian: 11:43pm On Jul 13, 2020
I saw a tvc interview where Soyinka said he had told Gowon after his release from prison that had places been traded, he (as commander in chief) would have put Gowon (a troublemaker) in jail earlier than Gowon put him (Soyinka) in jail. Pure class!

Soyinka also confirmed that Ojukwu told him in clear terms that he bore no grudge, and had never said anything untoward against Awolowo as he understood that each party had acted in the best interest of their own people.

These 2 clarifications suggests that these gladiators of old were far more mature, and pragmatic than the hot blooded youths of today who are mostly driven by weak sentiments and raw emotions.

XXXXTENTACION:

¿ cool %

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by hollah123: 12:38am On Jul 14, 2020
SaintBeehot:
you know my only problem with you guys?? you lack sense. Zero respect for elders.
don't expect much from them bro,they wake their parents up with sliding tackles.

Nnamdi Kanu called their elders fools

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Learn250: 1:57am On Jul 14, 2020
Wow
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by monarck: 2:03am On Jul 14, 2020
Story
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by SaintBeehot(m): 3:33am On Jul 14, 2020
PHAYOL81:
^^^^^^^^^
@SaintBeeHot, Those people are not just senseless but are also completely lost. Their problem to me is envy. What they don't have and it seems they cannot get, they start to badmouth it. Just leave him alone; it's their trademark.
Bigotry as eaten deep in the nook and cranny of their bone marrow, As in a whole Noble prize winner they just think they could open their mouth to insult him at their will.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by SaintBeehot(m): 3:41am On Jul 14, 2020
hollah123:
don't expect much from them bro,they wake their parents up with sliding tackles.

Nnamdi Kanu called their elders fools
I don't expect such level of ignorance to be expressed by one of the most productive tribe in Nigeria. The problem is they don't have a single reason to insult that man, you can do me a favour by asking them for a reason why he said that. I'm very sure the only thing he will say is; Mazi Nnamdi Kanu said.... They have never gone back to check history.

16 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by SaintBeehot(m): 3:42am On Jul 14, 2020
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by ProfOlu(m): 7:13am On Jul 14, 2020
TANTUMERGO007:

Be mindful of your utterances, calling an 86 years old man fool is illogical.

34 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by muykem: 7:24am On Jul 14, 2020
TANTUMERGO007:
I just hope you guys are well. When will you put Jonathan failure behind you and move forward?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by APCNig: 7:45am On Jul 14, 2020
TANTUMERGO007:

IF he is a "full", what is your father? Empty? Now, that Soyinka has stopped shouting, why can't you continue from where he stopped or are you dump and deaf?

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by GodPunishBiafra: 9:01am On Jul 14, 2020
angry

Life can be so unfair...

It's amazing that most of these SENSELESS old fool generation leaders that crumbled this country for the past 60 years are still alive and tormenting us.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by temptnow: 9:01am On Jul 14, 2020
Gowon with the amount of innocent blood you killed, you're going to hell soon

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

#EndSARS: No Amount Of Attacks Can Deny Tinubu Right To Contest In 2023 –Junaid / FG Confirms Payment Of N5000 Stipend To Unemployed Youth Next Year / The Projects Inserted Into The 2018 Budget By The Lawmakers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.