Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,718 members, 7,831,281 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:31 PM

A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay (42671 Views)

Obstacle A Police Officer Must Cross Before Qualifying As Mobile Police Officer / AY Shiga: Incredible Transformation Of A Police Officer (Photos) / Dana Pharmaceutical Workers In Minna Protest Over Poor Working Conditions (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Highhhio(m): 12:11pm On Jul 14, 2020
Ralpdee123:
Good morning Nlanders,

I have been considering quitting my police job to find something more productive & profitable to do with my life as a result of poor pay & lack of promotion.....

I was enlisted into the NPF since year 2009 at 21yrs, I was single then with big aspiration that someday I will move to the top echelon. While in the job, I struggled to send myself to school and bagged my first degree and through to masters level.

But one thing I have noticed is that there is no upward movement within the NPF unlike the other armed forces and some paramilitary agencies that have internal promotional policies of upgrading their personnel based on academic qualification and merit.

The first and only time this ever happened was five years ago when it was widely reported across all news platforms that the NPF was ready to promote graduates within the force to ASPs, exam was conducted, I passed and was selected to go to Abuja for final interview. It was a rough road for me as it was my first time at the FHQ, Abuja. But after like a week, the process was suspended indefinitely. That was the first time I heard the term MERIT LIST VS NATIONAL INTEREST LIST...the Senators and Reps etcs wanted to replace the list with their candidates and they disagree amongst themselves so the process was cancelled.

I must confess my family is getting larger now and the pay I get can't feed us not to talk of paying school fees. I had to double my hustle with side biz to meet up....

Even the Police academy now turn out graduates ASPs every year who are now superiors after just a few years. So what about us with requisite qualification and experience, don't we deserve to be promoted...?

It is on this note that I want to call it quit and move on...

So I need advice in this regard... Should I call it quit or still hold on a bit...cos I don tire......?

NB: For those of you that will be saying yenyenyen shocked police likes twenty Naira.... I have never received bribe from anyone throughout my 11 years in the job. I am the kind of Police Officer that you would meet on duty and would love to be a police officer.... grin

Please professionals in the house.... Flood my thread with your wealth of experience abeg....

.... Help me do the needed for a wider view.... wink
my brother you are not the only one here, the system is not favourable,for me let us be patient with God all things are possible.
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Excuses: 12:13pm On Jul 14, 2020
oz4real83:
Which part of the country are u from? If u are not from the north, forget anything called continuous promotion in any of the security agencies. Promotion is still going on in the NPF, Kyari was even promoted recently. Northerners help their fellow northerners to get to higher positions while other regions treat people of their own regions as if they either not exist or as trash.

You too sabi.
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by dolafanta: 12:14pm On Jul 14, 2020
Bros, have u thought about starting a security agency of ur own? Do u realize u have 70% of resources to make it work!? That is agile and smart officers like yourself. Well, I'd say u can put that into consideration too u know.

1 Like

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by jimb(m): 12:14pm On Jul 14, 2020
ChizzyBuna:
Your Mates Dey Collect Bribe For Road
You Dey Here dey complain angry
from your words I know say you be police.. ok continue. . make you no be that police wey I dey target to knock down with my car on a faithful day.

1 Like

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by damoceile: 12:15pm On Jul 14, 2020
Ryan03:
grin grin grin grin one mans meat, another mans crayfish, lol.

Abi nah I don try every paramilitary recruitment tire including Nigerian army too... With no success at all, I wish this bro could help me... I will be very grateful

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by vasco01(m): 12:15pm On Jul 14, 2020
As you want to quit also remember that getting a job in this country is like trying to be a smoke without fire

Thank God you even have one
I wish they will replace you with me after quiting

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by damoceile: 12:17pm On Jul 14, 2020
Highhhio:
my brother you are not the only one here, the system is not favourable,for me let us be patient with God all things are possible.

Hello sir seems u are in the NPF too.. can I pm u? About how I can get recruited into the NPF, hav tried every paramilitary and including military too with no success and man's not getting younger... I'm a shool cert holder tho I still intend furthering my education.... Pls help me sir im tired of all these menial jobs that only pays peanut...
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by barrwebilor(m): 12:17pm On Jul 14, 2020
Please somebody should save me from hunger and starvation. May God bless u as u come to my rescue. 0025050908. Stanbic ibtc
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by PhilipReigns(m): 12:22pm On Jul 14, 2020
southpole:
you are seeking for a good advice from a wrong place. Many if not all here have not done what you are seeking advice on, they lack experience and understanding of what is at hand. I will advise you ask within the police if anybody knows a former police officer who was in similar conditions as yours and quit the police service to be on his own and is currently doing well. Locate that person and ask how he did it, learn from him and you will fine your bearing. Seek advice from those who have done it .
The person is here.
Good morning. My maternal uncle was in this same situation few years back. He joined the force as a police constable (Lowest rank) with a wife and four boys to cater for. Ofcourse he complains always like you juat did. This is what he decided to do....

He enrolled into uniben and did his Masters program there using police funds. It wasn't easy though with such a large family but with assistance from family and well wishers he scaled through. 18 months later he got a lecturing job in AAU ekpoma, before quitting the police job. When you want to quit, you will be required to pay into federal government police account, 3 months of ur salary at once, with a resignation letter. That was what he did before they approved his resignation, it's compulsory.

Alternatively, some greedy fellows can just decides to ignore the job, stop going to work yet receives pay every month for up to six months before the force with probe u and sack u themselves on discovery of ur continuous absence from work which is not an honorable thing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by InvertedHammer: 12:25pm On Jul 14, 2020
Ralpdee123:
Good morning Nlanders,

I have been considering quitting my police job to find something more productive & profitable to do with my life as a result of poor pay & lack of promotion.....

I was enlisted into the NPF since year 2009 at 21yrs, I was single then with big aspiration that someday I will move to the top echelon. While in the job, I struggled to send myself to school and bagged my first degree and through to masters level.

But one thing I have noticed is that there is no upward movement within the NPF unlike the other armed forces and some paramilitary agencies that have internal promotional policies of upgrading their personnel based on academic qualification and merit.

The first and only time this ever happened was five years ago when it was widely reported across all news platforms that the NPF was ready to promote graduates within the force to ASPs, exam was conducted, I passed and was selected to go to Abuja for final interview. It was a rough road for me as it was my first time at the FHQ, Abuja. But after like a week, the process was suspended indefinitely. That was the first time I heard the term MERIT LIST VS NATIONAL INTEREST LIST...the Senators and Reps etcs wanted to replace the list with their candidates and they disagree amongst themselves so the process was cancelled.

I must confess my family is getting larger now and the pay I get can't feed us not to talk of paying school fees. I had to double my hustle with side biz to meet up....

Even the Police academy now turn out graduates ASPs every year who are now superiors after just a few years. So what about us with requisite qualification and experience, don't we deserve to be promoted...?

So I need advice in this regard... Should I call it quit or still hold on a bit...cos I don tire......?

NB: For those of you that will be saying yenyenyen shocked police likes twenty Naira.... I have never received bribe from anyone throughout my 11 years in the job. I am the kind of Police Officer that you would meet on duty and would love to be a police officer.... grin

Please professionals in the house.... Flood my thread with your wealth of experience abeg....

/
Do you want people to believe that salary is your only source of income in NPF? The income from one "good" checkpoint is more than your monthly salary. If you add income from illegal raids, detention and outright kidnapping that you guys engage in, then an oil worker cannot hold a candle where you are. The only bad omen is the eternal curse.

\

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by kiddkash(m): 12:26pm On Jul 14, 2020
Ralpdee123:
Good morning Nlanders,

its not an easy world out there, keep pushing, and trying and hopefully, things will get better
in this life, you need to know people.
if you have a good relationship with them, they might not help you today
but in future, they might be the ones to help you out

I learnt from someone, if you have been looking for work for a long time,
stop looking for work and start looking for opportunities
people discourage betting, but betting is an opportunity to make money

you just have to know how much you really want, they risk you are willing to take and is the risk worth it
from betting, people use N1,000 to win N7,000 it is a profit. it is N6,000 profit on a daily basis
just don't get too greedy wanting big right now
if you make N6,000 every day in a week, its 42,000
that is a lot of money
until you have enough money as back up before taking that risk
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Kenny9857(m): 12:31pm On Jul 14, 2020
biz1998:

Give people the benefit of doubt.

We haven't asked for money or anything yet.
Issokay
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by oyejideogunjumo: 12:31pm On Jul 14, 2020
Dont quit. You are already building a career. Your additional qualification will single your performance out and one day somebody will notice it to reward you. You are there for a purpose. You can take up part time lecturing.
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by drealcivilceno(m): 12:35pm On Jul 14, 2020
@Ralpdee123

SPEAKING AS NIGERIAN :

Well done and you sound polish, which makes me skeptical about your story, and I'm quite impressed.
Please do not listen to guys that taunt you about #20 and #50, We are just excited that you guys are not satisfied with what you guys unwillingly do grin, no pun intended.

Well, you can add other means to add to your current career, like writing articles, robin hood style (not joking), on research on other matters, or internet security-related matters (no yahoo yahoo angry coz we have enough problems in this country as you know), etc.

My reason is, THIS COUNTRY HAS A HONEST>VIBRANT>LEARNED>GO GETTING> WILLING, Nigerian like you. Let no position, status, talk, body, money define you. You are great: money or not.

Summary: If you want to leave, leave. You will make it, NIGERIANS trust you but WE were born to make a change in this world, right.

PS: I didn't direct you where you can put your head coz you already know where to go.
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by johnnychuks(m): 12:35pm On Jul 14, 2020
I wonder why you guys are still advising this evil people called Nigeria police, after you meth have made so many Nigerians cry and you came here to seek for advice, you join Nigeria police since 2009 and so what about it? you don't know law of cama knows every body home address even when you don't have a shelter, knows how to locate you, you don't know your job aging as you guys used to ask us, shey you one teach me my work, you better go back to your colleague let them advice you how to get promoted, are we the Nigeria police I G? nonsense.
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by collum(m): 12:36pm On Jul 14, 2020
follow ur hrt Bro. ur hrt is the spirit man that protect and guide u on the job.pray also for directions towards decisions
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by joe120120(m): 12:38pm On Jul 14, 2020
Ralpdee123:
Good morning Nlanders,

still hold on a bit

.u will have merits in short a time to come .
Put ur self in to plan B .
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by IMASTEX: 12:40pm On Jul 14, 2020
ChizzyBuna:
Your Mates Dey Collect Bribe For Road
You Dey Here dey complain
Haven't you noticed they are still below poverty line? It means a major percentage is remitted. And they end up from hand to mouth.
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by networkrecharg: 12:45pm On Jul 14, 2020
I am interested in our training. ..08098724753

I
sunbbo:
Na so

Backup is essential, if none is like jumping from flying airplane without a parachute. I can tell for experience, the situation can get worse than it is now if exit not properly planned.

My one cent.
"Have an exit plan
"Develop your side hustle to a level you will be earning more than your salary.
"Invest in other businesses to earning more money.

Check me signature:
let me show you how to make 8% to 10% ROI on your investment monthly for 1000 days.
It's based on Ethereum Smart Contract.

For more understand,

You google the following,

1. What is Blockchain Technology
2. What is Masternode Technology
3 What is Ethereum Smart Contract

NB: This is not a get rich quick
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by membranus: 12:52pm On Jul 14, 2020
heykims:
This is deep
I won't advice you quit ur job when u haven't secured another. Pay is poor for civil servants generally but I guess ur problem is u ain't even recognised as a graduate.
Since u have ur masters degree, I advise u seek a job in an higher institution. U can gain access to see any top official in any higher institution using ur uniform. See them, explain ur plight, present ur qualification and I'm sure u will secure a job after a few trials. Ur uniform should get u a job but ensure u secure a one before u call it quit with the NPF.
A bird at hand is twice that in the bush.

Best advice yet.

Try it with prayers, and you will succeed.

1 Like

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Testimony1988(m): 1:01pm On Jul 14, 2020
Just hold on and if you see any advert concerning recruitment in any government agency, you can apply but for now be patient.

1 Like

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by TCD: 1:01pm On Jul 14, 2020
Ralpdee123:
Good morning Nlanders,

With your police experience for 10 years and your education level, you are a good candidate security officer or analysts for NGOs and international non-gpvernmemtal organisations. Look towards that area as it pays really well.

1 Like

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Carlmax(m): 1:09pm On Jul 14, 2020
@Ralpdee123, get soooo qualified that they can't ignore you just to make a statement, you've got masters already, push for a PhD then just create a little awareness, let the world see the PhD that is still a low ranking officer... that would be fun though.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Sunshyne200(m): 1:10pm On Jul 14, 2020
Ralpdee123:
Good morning Nlanders,

Firstly I would say congratulations I know what it would have cost you as I was like you though not the police, but the armed forces.
Today I am an officer.

If you would, let's connect let's share idea

1 Like

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by GuestLog: 1:17pm On Jul 14, 2020
BigDick70inch:
[b][s]Okay aint gon talk bout dos 20 naira sir..maybe yo way above that..

How bout 50 nairas instead huh??do u also reject them huh??pls be truthful.. cheesy
Cos..that is more common dan collecting 20 naira.. wink[/s]
If he wore his uniform on the street on a good day, can you ask him this stupid question? Seem like díck has scattered your already useless brain.
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Dreyton36: 1:18pm On Jul 14, 2020
Misofunyin
Entertainment emi ni CEO. Mi
O like olopa, mi sere pelu
DPO. Awon eyan wa mi kiri bi diamond.
Boy so good, so fresh
so dayanmo. Eyin lowo e le na so
Ekosi. Ice on my wrist, se
you no dey see my Gucci? Temi ni
Omo na ki lo mo nipa omo na.
Very silly omona, you-don't-know-something
Omona.
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by GuestLog: 1:19pm On Jul 14, 2020
Carlmax:
@Ralpdee123, get soooo qualified that they can't ignore you just to make a statement, you've got masters already, push for a PhD then just create a little awareness, let the world see the PhD that is still a low ranking officer... that would be fun though.
I wish it was easy like that but it's the best solution. If only he would adopt this method, his promotion would be a sensation because of the PR nightmare the NPF would face. They would even promote him to 3rd or 4th in command in any state.

1 Like

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by hopeforcharles(m): 1:24pm On Jul 14, 2020
maximunimpact:

Dumbest question ever asked laced with advice based on stomach infrastructure... a person who thinks like this can hardly attain greatness
LOL what are u driving at, You should survive before thinking of attaining greatness or growing.
Besides stomach infrastructure is a basic need of man
Greatness is a process and its doesn't happen in a day,
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Pharaohny: 1:25pm On Jul 14, 2020
BigDick70inch:
Okay aint gon talk bout dos 20 naira sir..maybe yo way above that..

How bout 50 nairas instead huh??do u also reject them huh??pls be truthful.. cheesy
Cos..that is more common dan collecting 20 naira.. wink

This guy is an idiotic fool��������

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by CryptoRepublic1: 1:25pm On Jul 14, 2020
BigDick70inch:
Okay aint gon talk bout dos 20 naira sir..maybe yo way above that..

Cos..that is more common dan collecting 20 naira.. wink

It's possible to be in NPF and not take any bribes from people it can be that his post doesn't give him the opportunity to do it or can be a matter of integrity.I do have a friend an asp,his position doesn't give him the opportunity to because he's based in the office not on the road,I'm sure there're many more like that.

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by spartanian(m): 1:33pm On Jul 14, 2020
Resign Sir, there are lot of opportunities for ex-security personnels. NGO's need you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

5 Occupations That Make Most Married Women Cheat / Man With One Hand That Breaks Firewood For A Living Pictured / Lagos Assembly Honours Josephine Ugwu, Airport Cleaner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.