Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,704 members, 7,813,329 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:54 AM

A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay (42596 Views)

Obstacle A Police Officer Must Cross Before Qualifying As Mobile Police Officer / AY Shiga: Incredible Transformation Of A Police Officer (Photos) / Dana Pharmaceutical Workers In Minna Protest Over Poor Working Conditions (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Arrowss(m): 11:29am On Jul 14, 2020
You said your pay is not much, how much is it? More so, what rank are you in now? You should mention dat too, with that we can able to kw that truelly, what you earn is too little to cater for your family, more so, have not been promoted for the past 11 yrs?
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Komu1048(m): 11:29am On Jul 14, 2020
Ralpdee123:
Good morning Nlanders,

I have been considering quitting my police job to find something more productive & profitable to do with my life as a result of poor pay & lack of promotion.....

I was enlisted into the NPF since year 2009 at 21yrs, I was single then with big aspiration that someday I will move to the top echelon. While in the job, I struggled to send myself to school and bagged my first degree and through to masters level.

But one thing I have noticed is that there is no upward movement within the NPF unlike the other armed forces and some paramilitary agencies that have internal promotional policies of upgrading their personnel based on academic qualification and merit.

The first and only time this ever happened was five years ago when it was widely reported across all news platforms that the NPF was ready to promote graduates within the force to ASPs, exam was conducted, I passed and was selected to go to Abuja for final interview. It was a rough road for me as it was my first time at the FHQ, Abuja. But after like a week, the process was suspended indefinitely. That was the first time I heard the term MERIT LIST VS NATIONAL INTEREST LIST...the Senators and Reps etcs wanted to replace the list with their candidates and they disagree amongst themselves so the process was cancelled.

I must confess my family is getting larger now and the pay I get can't feed us not to talk of paying school fees. I had to double my hustle with side biz to meet up....

Even the Police academy now turn out graduates ASPs every year who are now superiors after just a few years. So what about us with requisite qualification and experience, don't we deserve to be promoted...?

It is on this note that I want to call it quit and move on...

So I need advice in this regard... Should I call it quit or still hold on a bit...cos I don tire......?

NB: For those of you that will be saying yenyenyen shocked police likes twenty Naira.... I have never received bribe from anyone throughout my 11 years in the job. I am the kind of Police Officer that you would meet on duty and would love to be a police officer.... grin

Please professionals in the house.... Flood my thread with your wealth of experience abeg....

.... Help me do the needed for a wider view.... wink

���� even police want our help. Can’t forget wetin my eye see for police hand when them rob me of my laptop and I go report jus for police report cox I insure the lapi. But trust naija police dem milk me dry sote I av to forget about it, one even ask me sey I no collect any of my guy gf? When dem come with gun didn’t I try to collect it from their hand? Na all this mumu question I Dey hear
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by joefengzy(m): 11:30am On Jul 14, 2020
I hate to respond to ideas like this
But this very advise is cool walai
Please don't quit.
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Skillsnigeria1: 11:30am On Jul 14, 2020
sleek214:
Another person is looking for same opportunity

A job that require you to carry gun is not a job,you can be killed anytime.i earn less than 10,000 naira when I was a police recruit then, before I quit the useless work to start my i.t company
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by ayenale1(m): 11:31am On Jul 14, 2020
The rain that falls beats everyone stay where u dey...continue your work and brighten the corner u belong. At least you set up your family, educate your self with the same job so continue...im looking at it that you now have a large family more reason you have to continue with the job the look for another job.
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by jagorinho: 11:32am On Jul 14, 2020
Onebyonedead:
You are a public servant you should not come here and say all this that is not acceptable ..... please get out of here lazy ekelebe ......yeye man
Is he lazy because he refused to collect bribes on the road? or because he is complaining? I always tell my friends, Nigeria's current set up support corruption, and our yearn for good leadership is a mirage, nothing good can come out of this system, irrespective of the person at the helm of leadership.

I really admire the character of this O.P, he is a rare breed, I know a police guy in my area living large after just 2 years in the service, he told me one day that one of his colleagues wanted to celebrate birthday and there was no money, they had to go to the streets for extortion and later raid a well known yahoo boys neighborhood just under 2 hours and they made 85,000.

So when you see someone that resist the urge to flow with the tide of this corrupt system we are operating in this country, we have to commend him, because any negative comment might have an adverse effect on his psyche.

5 Likes

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Minjim: 11:33am On Jul 14, 2020
You failed to "cut your coat ( family) according to your size (income).

I can assure you you are still doing better than some people.
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Queenslander(f): 11:33am On Jul 14, 2020
Engrmartins123:
Since you're already in service, you can switch to other paramilitary and get promoted instantly, you can switch to civil defence, fire service or prison and you will be upgraded immediately... Stay focus
Um, are you for real?,. Or your joking? Right? undecided
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by deltateam: 11:38am On Jul 14, 2020
Hotzone:
No quitting, finish what u started

Dude it's better to quit than allow what you started finish you.
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by j1mmy: 11:40am On Jul 14, 2020
HE MEANS POLICE OFFICERS ARE NOT GETTING PAID BRIBES BY INNOCENT NIGERIANS ANYMORE SINCE COVID-19 LOCKDOWN STARTED.

POLICE WORK IS NO LONGER LUCRATIVE IF NO CITIZENS ON THE STREETS TO EXPLOIT
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by SmartPolician: 11:40am On Jul 14, 2020
Ralpdee123

My father was probably the most sincere and God-fearing policeofficer Nigeria ever produced because he served for 36 years without giving or collecting bribes.

Well, there were consequences though because as intelligent as he was, he was always denied promotions after attending such courses. His colleagues went far ahead of him because he refused to "bribe" the be necessary people after promotional exams.

Sadly, he is late now but was retired in 1996 from the force without going far. I carry his traits and am just preparing for the day I will get the opportunity to serve (not as a policeman) so I can deal with many corrupt idiots in this country.

Financially, he struggled as a policeofficer, but we started living better when he was retired and he got a job in a private firm as a chief security officer. His life of struggles never spurred me to join the force...he didn't encourage us to join it either.

As a barracks boy, I feel that police force is not a random job people resign from because you grow to love it, and it becomes a part of you.

I firmly believe that that there should be an arm in charge of officers' welfare. Perhaps you should write to them, prompting them of the need to consider promoting you people.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by nokatakata: 11:41am On Jul 14, 2020
Most nigerian police men do not live off their salary that is why they harass people a lot. They cannot protest for salary increment so they take it from the masses. Some of them have even result into full time kidnapping. Whether you have anything incriminating on you or not, they kidnapp you and force you to withdraw or transfer money to them. If you go into inner cities at night , you will see them collecting money from commercial drivers like the agberos do. Even on high ways in broad day light, you must settle before they allow you drive through road blocks. They are making a lot of money and that's why they hardly complain about salaries. The policeman complaining about salaries are the good ones who do not want to oppress people and take bribes. 5 SARS officers can make up to 100k each in a day from yahoo boys. That's why they target them. Imagine arresting a yahoo boy and finding out he has like 15k or 20k$ after searching his house, omo SARS don hammer be that. They collect their share and even offer protection for the yahoo guy so long as he is paying monthly dues.
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by owila4luv(m): 11:42am On Jul 14, 2020
am right behind you sir, we have similar challenge and am sure i will quit sooner than later. am with the FRSC

1 Like

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by nairaman66(m): 11:43am On Jul 14, 2020
elohim24:

Nope... I'm talking of legitimate benefits. Uniform gives a lot of people assurance while dealing with you.

I could agree! You and the OP seem enlightened, the Nigerian police force and it’s sister agencies detest people like you and the OP. I can wish you guys goodluck in your endeavors

1 Like

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by chrisxxx(m): 11:44am On Jul 14, 2020
This guy is also complaining what a friend of mine is going through. Life in police is difficult. I work in a private company and every day I try to encourage my friend in kinds, words and sometimes in cash. He barely has a place to lay his head. He is a graduate but joined in 1999 with O'Level. He went to school in-service. He went to the same Abuja for ASP promotion that was hijacked by politicians. Everyday my friend complains. When I read this I thought it was him. He does not embark on anything except he takes a loan from the system.
My friend is a decent and brilliant police officer. He does not involve himself in any form of illegality. I feel the pain of this bro. I want to let you know that you are not alone. I keep telling my friend to hold on a little.
Nigeria Police is the true image of the Nigerian system.

3 Likes

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by cunny88(m): 11:45am On Jul 14, 2020
brotherly, until u succefully work out an alternate source of income, pls stay put at your job, several graduates are looking for dis ur opportunity, trust me it's not friendly out there oh,.......my two cents

2 Likes

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by nairaman66(m): 11:46am On Jul 14, 2020
I carry his traits and am just preparing for the day I will get the opportunity to serve (not as a policeman) so I can deal with many corrupt idiots in this country.

Nigeria needs cleansing! Left for someone like me if I had the chance, I would recommend the Jim Rawlings method!
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by BTCog: 11:47am On Jul 14, 2020
Ralpdee123:
Good morning Nlanders,

I have been considering quitting my police job to find something more productive & profitable to do with my life as a result of poor pay & lack of promotion.....

I was enlisted into the NPF since year 2009 at 21yrs, I was single then with big aspiration that someday I will move to the top echelon. While in the job, I struggled to send myself to school and bagged my first degree and through to masters level.

But one thing I have noticed is that there is no upward movement within the NPF unlike the other armed forces and some paramilitary agencies that have internal promotional policies of upgrading their personnel based on academic qualification and merit.

The first and only time this ever happened was five years ago when it was widely reported across all news platforms that the NPF was ready to promote graduates within the force to ASPs, exam was conducted, I passed and was selected to go to Abuja for final interview. It was a rough road for me as it was my first time at the FHQ, Abuja. But after like a week, the process was suspended indefinitely. That was the first time I heard the term MERIT LIST VS NATIONAL INTEREST LIST...the Senators and Reps etcs wanted to replace the list with their candidates and they disagree amongst themselves so the process was cancelled.

I must confess my family is getting larger now and the pay I get can't feed us not to talk of paying school fees. I had to double my hustle with side biz to meet up....

Even the Police academy now turn out graduates ASPs every year who are now superiors after just a few years. So what about us with requisite qualification and experience, don't we deserve to be promoted...?

It is on this note that I want to call it quit and move on...

So I need advice in this regard... Should I call it quit or still hold on a bit...cos I don tire......?

NB: For those of you that will be saying yenyenyen shocked police likes twenty Naira.... I have never received bribe from anyone throughout my 11 years in the job. I am the kind of Police Officer that you would meet on duty and would love to be a police officer.... grin

Please professionals in the house.... Flood my thread with your wealth of experience abeg....

.... Help me do the needed for a wider view.... wink

My brother you look very sound. I sincerely appreciate your testimony of not being amongst the bandwagon of bribe takers. God will surely bless you for that. I understand your pains because I have many of my people in the force.

Like some people have advised you, do not make haste to resign yet with the state of the Nation at the moment. Plan properly. Know that your experience is already a great asset to you. As soon as the pandemic is over and oil/gas work resumes you are one of the best qualified for CSO jobs in the oil and gas firms. Just keep doing your home work well. Having set your heart on resigning, there are still great opportunities for you out there even in the security line.
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by SmartPolician: 11:49am On Jul 14, 2020
nokatakata:
Most nigerian police men do not live off their salary that is why they harass people a lot. They cannot protest for salary increment so they take it from the masses. Some of them have even result into full time kidnapping. Whether you have anything incriminating on you or not, they kidnapp you and force you to withdraw or transfer money to them. If you go into inner cities at night , you will see them collecting money from commercial drivers like the agberos do. Even on high ways in broad day light, you must settle before they allow you drive through road blocks. They are making a lot of money and that's why they hardly complain about salaries. The policeman complaining about salaries are the good ones who do not want to oppress people and take bribes. 5 SARS officers can make up to 100k each in a day from yahoo boys. That's why they target them. Imagine arresting a yahoo boy and finding out he has like 15k or 20k$ after searching his house, omo SARS don hammer be that. They collect their share and even offer protection for the yahoo guy so long as he is paying monthly dues.

Waste of useful cyberspace

No useful solution
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by HAH: 11:49am On Jul 14, 2020
Work to pensionable years then quit, for other things , you are still young at 31.
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by biz1998: 11:52am On Jul 14, 2020
Kenny9857:
[s][/s][s] Scammers
Give people the benefit of doubt.
We haven't asked for money or anything yet.
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by nams77: 11:53am On Jul 14, 2020
INSTANTCASH345:
Bro,let me tell you the truth; no Nigerian job is easy oh especially federal & state govt jobs.

To even get there is based on merit and connection.

Please,hold on to the little you have now and plan for your retirement.

Also, learn digital skills and earn online to support your monthly pay.

Lots of Nigerians are looking to be where you are now but they ain't cos they have no one to assist them into the force.

Everything in Nigeria is gotten via connection and so you should you you need a higher force to help you get to the top in your career.

Ads:

Check me out on www.fiverr.com/nelpeterson and place you'd oder.

What are some examples of online business one can do?
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Adoyi87(m): 11:53am On Jul 14, 2020
Don't quit too soon, it can be frustrating when you see your junior becoming your boss while you are better qualified.

You stand a better chance than any other graduate, because you are experienced. Many institutions now have security and strategic studies as a course, in respective of your educational background, you got a security experience. Leverage on it.

Work up to any multinational organization, with your security background, you will gain attention faster. That is, if you still want to do salary job.

Better still seek way to expand your hustle. At the long run, it will pay better. Please don't quit yet.
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by PatrickOkunima(m): 11:53am On Jul 14, 2020
Mrbigman1:

Can’t you easily switch force ?
I guess with your experience and connection it would be easier.

Maybe navy or any other federal job
Na was for you o. He said he's not being promoted due to lack of connection, and you're advising him to join the NAVY. You think that would be easier?
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by GideonVIBES(m): 11:53am On Jul 14, 2020
OP, please what's the basic salary of ASPs after POP from the NPA Wudil? I have a cousin brother who's been pursuing the admission for some time now.

On your case, at the age of 32 you've got the greater part of your life ahead. I always feel deeply disappointed whenever I meet young-blooded and seemingly intelligent lads who waste their lives as ratings in the different arms of corps; in a nation where being a rating is tormentous
I know ratings (Military and Police) who shaved their beards, dropped their uniforms and joined either the Defense Academy or the Police Academy to become Regular Commissioned Officers of the Corps and set their lives on a positive course.

You've got a B.Sc, M.Sc and the advantage of a uniform. Go out there and make moves, for the sake of your children. Remember, while you're at it, hold unto your uniform till you break even.

With the new shake up happening in the NPF: The Police Academy is now producing Regular Commissioned Officers, the force is no longer interested in Short service officers or promoting Ratings past the Inspector rank.

please, answer my question.
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by nokatakata: 11:54am On Jul 14, 2020
SmartPolician:

Waste of useful cyberspace

No useful solution

Don't be stup.id young man.
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Onebyonedead: 11:55am On Jul 14, 2020
jagorinho:

Is he lazy because he refused to collect bribes on the road? or because he is complaining? I always tell my friends, Nigeria's current set up support corruption, and our yearn for good leadership is a mirage, nothing good can come out of this system, irrespective of the person at the helm of leadership.

I really admire the character of this O.P, he is a rare breed, I know a police guy in my area living large after just 2 years in the service, he told me one day that one of his colleagues wanted to celebrate birthday and there was no money, they had to go to the streets for extortion and later raid a well known yahoo boys neighborhood just under 2 hours and they made 85,000.

So when you see someone that resist the urge to flow with the tide of this corrupt system we are operating in this country, we have to commend him, because any negative comment might have an adverse effect on his psyche.

He has not been put in the position that is why he is complaining na yeye ekelebe don't ever trust them .....they re all the same
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by elohim24: 12:03pm On Jul 14, 2020
nairaman66:

I could agree! You and the OP seem enlightened, the Nigerian police force and it’s sister agencies detest people like you and the OP. I can wish you guys goodluck in your endeavors
Thank you
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by solonubinho(m): 12:04pm On Jul 14, 2020
My dear FRIEND (as they say Police is your friend), you already know what to do. You have seen it all and have finally decided that this is not what you want for yourself and your family. Kindly follow your gut. However, you have to be strategic about this. You have to plan carefully on how you will proceed. You have to be sure you have secured something that will bring the money to feed your family before you exit. Remember, you have mouths to feed now. Also, try working towards having multiple sources of income. Someone suggested taking courses on security. With your level of experience, that would be a great plus. If it were me, I may work with a security firm for a while (Marine security, personal security, etc.) to properly understand the business and make contacts who would be useful to me when I branch out and start my security firm. I would also focus on a niche (personal security, maritime security, regular domestic security, private bodyguards, etc.). Most importantly, put this to God in prayer. May God guide you, my friend. Shalom.

2 Likes

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by northbird: 12:05pm On Jul 14, 2020
@ ralphdee. Don't quit without an exit plan.

You have a family now. Its a different game if you were single.

You are in a goldmine industry: Security.

Don't think like d average civil servant. Think out of d box.

Get two solid jobsites. Ask young graduates around, they will help.

Get someone to craft a professional CV for you. Not cybercafe operator. A polished CV .

Which division ( gender, youth, anti- robbery, family & juvenile) are you.

Try n move towards security/escort. You have 10-11 years experience, DTS really solid.

Beam lights on NGOs,. UN, UNESCO, WHO, n d likes... They usually have openings on chief security officer , n d likes.

As per your masters, in d private sector, don't get masters for promotional sake,

look for courses within d security / escort spheres that will help you.

Check edx and cousera, for courses relating to security, they have short courses, some are even free.

Goodluck !

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Ellegacy(m): 12:05pm On Jul 14, 2020
Public servants are entitled to loans.. Build a business their.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

She Doesn’t Do Hookup – Man Shares Video Of A Woman Driving A Truck (Pix, Video) / 5 Occupations That Make Most Married Women Cheat / I Graduated With 2.2,can I Have My Masters In Canada?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.