Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,607 members, 7,827,291 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba - Celebrities (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba (85027 Views)

Yoruba Actors Don’t Have Six-packs Because They're Busy –funsho Adeolu / 10 Nigerian Actresses Who Married Foreigners / Nollywood Star Actresses Who Sacrificed Their Career For Marriage (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by BarryLondon007(m): 11:35am On Jul 16, 2020
donstan18:
The only Yoruba actress I fancy is Margaret Bandele Olayinka, popularly known as Iya Gbonkan.

There's this unexplainable Orgasm I derive each time I set my eyes on her.

I wish to go on a date with her someday.
You Dey take piss lol
Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by BarryLondon007(m): 11:36am On Jul 16, 2020
donstan18:
The only Yoruba actress I fancy is Margaret Bandele Olayinka, popularly known as Iya Gbonkan.

There's this unexplainable Orgasm I derive each time I set my eyes on her.

I wish to go on a date with her someday.
Lol you dey take piss

1 Like

Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jul 16, 2020
fattprince:

Well Anjorin means "we walking together" or friends in Yoruba I don't know about Egun. This Egun use Yoruba names too but I know is that she said it herself in a video interview that she is Egun from Badagry. We have Egun tenants with the surname Bamgbose.

Ok then, if she said so.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by prezeus(m): 12:18pm On Jul 16, 2020
MENELIIK:

The title OBA as used in Benin is a Yoruba word. Akoko Edo people speak (as second language)and bear Yoruba names just like their neighbours in Ogori/Magongo in Kogi. There was no Benin empire rather Benin Kingdom and no Yoruba people were captured by any Benin
Here what palace chiefs and the Oba of Lagos had to say

Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by prezeus(m): 12:20pm On Jul 16, 2020
The Benin empire ruled akure for hundreds of years.

Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by prezeus(m): 12:28pm On Jul 16, 2020
More

Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jul 16, 2020
IAMPhoenix007:

There is no Yoruba speaking tribe or part in Togo, the only people who speak Yoruba in Togo are Yorubas who do business in Togo or togolese who once live in western Nigeria.

If you say so boss. I'll have to check Google to verify this.

MODIFIED:

Contrary to what you know, there are actually indigenous Yorùbás in Togo, not called Yorùbás but they speak the language and have a different dialect.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by RuggedSniper: 1:48pm On Jul 16, 2020
SaintLucia:
Lol and they later became minority grin
^^^1. Binis, Esans, Urhobos, Isokos, Etsakos, etc, are subethnic groups of the Edo. 2. Aworis, Ijebus, Egbas, Ijesas, Ekitis, Ilajes, Itsekiris, etc, are subethnic groups of the Yoruba. Hope this is clearer... grin P.S. Itsekiri language has over 65% similarity with the parent Yoruba, especially Ijebu and Ilaje dialects. Some Bini, Portuguese, English words are also mixed into the Itsekiri language which is officially classified by linguists as Yoruboid just like Igala which also has over 65% similarity with the Yoruba language via the Kogi/River Niger trade/migration intersection.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by SaintLucia: 2:07pm On Jul 16, 2020
RuggedSniper:
^^^1. Binis, Esans, Urhobos, Isokos, Etsakos, etc, are subethnic groups of the Edo. 2. Aworis, Ijebus, Egbas, Ijesas, Ekitis, Ilajes, Itsekiris, etc, are subethnic groups of the Yoruba. Hope this is clearer... grin P.S. Itsekiri language has over 65% similarity with the parent Yoruba, especially Ijebu and Ilaje dialects. Some Bini, Portuguese, English words are also mixed into the Itsekiri language which is officially classified by linguists as Yoruboid just like Igala which also has over 65% similarity with the Yoruba language via the Kogi/River Niger trade/migration intersection.
Lol and you finally concluded that Oranmiyan was the great great grandfather of the Edo people. See as I give you assignment grin

1 Like

Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by RuggedSniper: 2:36pm On Jul 16, 2020
prezeus:

STOP POSTING FAKE NEWS which the Oba of Lagos has denied making. Cc: TAO11, hope you are OK?... Pls my darling "omo Eko," school them some more. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by RuggedSniper: 3:16pm On Jul 16, 2020
SaintLucia:
Lol and you finally concluded that Oranmiyan was the great great grandfather of the Edo people. See as I give you assignment grin
Edos' ancestors have been in existence before Oranmiyan. It is ONLY the Bini Royal family that has ancestral ties with Oranmiyan who came from Ife and fathered Oba Eweka. The towns of USEN, Egbeta and a few small towns in Edo state migrated from Ife and some eastern Yoruba communities. TAO11, Wale03

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by labelle123(f): 3:29pm On Jul 16, 2020
Heavensent01:
na only Yoruba go ask if outsider have eaten before their own kids

what a tribe with sincere heart. imagine North, northerners are trying, imagine Igbo and others are like that?
. That one na over sabi. charity begins at home
Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by TAO11(f): 3:45pm On Jul 16, 2020
RuggedSniper:
Edos' ancestors have been in existence before Oranmiyan. It is ONLY the Bini Royal family that has ancestral ties with Oranmiyan who came from Ife and fathered Oba Eweka. The towns of USEN, Egbeta and a few small towns in Edo state migrated from Ife and some eastern Yoruba communities. TAO11
cc: SaintLucia

"Lieut. King found that “the king can sell his subjects when convicted of crime, or when they have incurred his displeasure." The royal right of abuse seems to have survived to the last days, for Gallwey (p. 129) mentions that “the Benin people ... are treated as slaves by the king, the title of king's slave being considered an honour." ... the mass of the people were practically slaves to the king, and those who were not to the king were so to their chiefs." -- Reference: H.Ling Roth (1903), p.103.

Food For Thought: A king NEVER regards his subjects as his slaves IF he truly belongs to the same ethno-linguistic group as them.

Abieyuwa N'ovbi Oodua N'Uhe ghato kpere ... Ise!

Long may you reign, [Oh] son of the wealthy Oodua of Ife ... Amen!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by TAO11(f): 3:53pm On Jul 16, 2020
SaintLucia:

The Edo people, whom of course the Yoruba-Oba of Benin rules over, are not freeborns.

In fact, this Yoruba-Oba of Benin decides if the Edo men and women should wear clothes or not

For more information in this regard, consider the following quotation from some of the earliest eyewitness accounts on Benin history:

"There are some curious statements about the requirements of royal permission before the people are allowed to wear clothing. Thus D. R. tells us : “Maidens and boys all go perfectly nude* until they marry or are otherwise disposed of, or that the king grants them license to put on some ornament or dress; then they become very cheerful and rejoice very much at the friendship and benevolence of the king which he has shown and proved to them; they then ornament and bedeck their bodies to the utmost, paint and daub themselves with white earth or colour, and hold a great festival; they sit in their houses in great splendour and magnificence, and many people then come to them and congratulate them as if they were a bride." So too, according to Dapper, “No man is allowed to wear any dress at all at court before he has been clothed by the king; nor let his hair grow before this has been done. There are men at the King's court, twenty and twenty-four years old, who, without any semblance of shame go about naked, only wearing a chain of corals or jasper round their necks. But when the King gives them clothes, he usually presents them at the same time with a wife, thus making them from boys to men. After this time they always wear clothes and let their hair grow without being obliged to shave it off with a knife anymore. Likewise, the women are not allowed to wear clothes, unless they have been provided with them by their husbands. So you can see there, women of twenty and twenty-five years going along the streets perfectly nude without showing any shame."

The footnote 1 on the same page reads: "According to Dapper, at Warri the native's dress is like that of Benin, "but they also wear some fine cotton or silk clothes (which those of Benin are not allowed to do) as large as small sheets, fastening them above the navel, with a cunning knot under the arms."

Reference: H.Ling Roth (1903), p.24.
The contrast here is crystal clear:

Case(1) A Bini man of Ife royal descent rules over the Edo (an Edoid language speaking group) and mistreats them regarding clothing, etc.

Case(2) A Bini man of Ife royal descent rules over the Itsekiri (a Yoruba subgroup) with the realization that they are freeborns like himself -- belonging to the same ethnic/linguistic group.

cc: RuggedSniper

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by SaintLucia: 3:53pm On Jul 16, 2020
RuggedSniper:
Edos' ancestors have been in existence before Oranmiyan. It is ONLY the Bini Royal family that has ancestral ties with Oranmiyan who came from Ife and fathered Oba Eweka. The towns of USEN, Egbeta and a few small towns in Edo state migrated from Ife and some eastern Yoruba communities. TAO11
Lol and they begged the Ooni of Ife to allow the Benin to bury the head of their dead Oba in Benin land instead of Ife as being practiced by tradition after paying huge amount of tributes grin
Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by SaintLucia: 3:55pm On Jul 16, 2020
TAO11:

cc: SaintLucia

"Lieut. King found that “the king can sell his subjects when convicted of crime, or when they have incurred his displeasure." The royal right of abuse seems to have survived to the last days, for Gallwey (p. 129) mentions that “the Benin people ... are treated as slaves by the king, the title of king's slave being considered an honour." ... the mass of the people were practically slaves to the king, and those who were not to the king were so to their chiefs." -- Reference: H.Ling Roth (1903), p.103.

Food For Thought: A king NEVER regards his subjects as his slaves IF he truly belongs to the same ethno-linguistic group as them.

Abieyuwa N'ovbi Oodua N'Uhe ghato kpere ... Ise!

Long may you reign, [Oh] son of the wealthy Oodua of Ife ... Amen!
In a nutshell Edo most especially the Bini are great great grandchildren of Oranmiyan
Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by TAO11(f): 3:55pm On Jul 16, 2020
SaintLucia:
Lol and they begged the Ooni of Ife to allow the Benin to bury the head of their dead Oba in Benin land instead of Ife as being practiced by tradition after paying huge amount of tributes grin
undecided

Modified

(1) Dr. R. E. Bradbury (who was the outstanding scholar on the history of Benin Kingdom and the Edo speaking people) is noted -- by A. F. C. Ryder -- to have said that the Edo people themselves confirmed to him during his ethnographic field work in Benin that certain messengers do carry an "Oba's remains" to Ife in the past.

To quote the actual words of A. F. C. Ryder:

"In a personal communication, Dr R. E. Bradbury points out that 'the Edo speak of the messengers who carried the Oba's remains to Ife ..." -- Reference: A. F. C. Ryder, "A Reconsideration of the Ife-Benin Relationship", The Journal of African History, Vol. 6, No. 1 (1965), footnote 10.

(2) Professor R. C. C. Law writes as follows on page 211 of his "The Heritage of Oduduwa":

"At Benin, parts of the bodies of the deceased kings were sent to Ile-Ife for burial." -- Reference: R.C.C. Law, (1973), p.211.

(3) The illustrious Bini historian, Chief Jacob Uwadiae Egharevba (who is also the earliest indigenous historian of Edo extraction) spells out the specific details of this practice. He writes:

"The head of the royal corpse was subsequently exhumed and taken to the royal ancestral grave at Ile-Ife; but this was only done in every third reign." -- Reference: J. U. Egharevba, Benin Law and Custom, (CMS Niger Press, Port Harcourt 1946), p.72.

(4) From D.M. Bondarenko (2003) we read as follows:

"These sources point at the Benin Oba's succession from the Ooni of Ife expressed in ritual forms. Particularly, "as a recognition of this fact deceased rulers' heads were sent to Ife for burial at Orun-Oba-Ado site ... last time this happened in 1888. In its turn, a bronze depiction of the head was usually sens back from Ife to Benin"" -- Reference: Frank Willett (1982) cited in Dmitri M. Bondarenko, "Advent of the Second (Oba) Dynasty: Another Assessment of a Benin History Key Point", History in Africa Vol. 30 (2003), p.71.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by TAO11(f): 3:56pm On Jul 16, 2020
SaintLucia:
In a nutshell Edo most especially the Bini are great great grandchildren of Oranmiyan

No they are not.

The Edos (including those of them who lived in their capital city -- Benin) are a different ethno-linguistic group.

However, their most important monarchy which operates till date from Benin city is a foreign one -- that is, a Yoruba monarchy from Ile-Ife.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by ykalhaji(m): 4:06pm On Jul 16, 2020
Jesus christ... A thread to celebrate oneness and unity has now been turned to one that showcases our differences. See the whole southern Nigeria, North East, Middlebelt, Niger/Nupe area all have the same ancestors. The only folks in Nigeria that are different but through time have now assimilated and intermarried are the fulanis, core North Western Hausas and the Cross River/Akwa Ibom tribes.

The Yorubas, Edos/Bini, Ibos and all the minorities in between are from the Igalas who were the first to get to the River Niger and River Benue and the Igalas originally came from the North East present day Lake Chad area, who spread westward as Ebira,(who continued downwards and with the help of some natives and some bini formed the Yoruba nation states), southwards as the Bini, Eastward as the Ibos. For over 1000 years all these people knew they were related, thry inter-married, traded e.t.c. until the advent of the English and the Fulanis which brought trade and other opportunities thereby creating serious wars and the need to present superiority over other settlements, before this period the only degree of seperation was your settlement(You can tell this is true by how villages/settlements were willing to pick their monarchs from other settlements because they all knew they were related)
So the sooner we realize we are all one but our fore-fathers along 1,500 years created different settlements from Lake Chad, via lake Benue, to the lagos lagoon and delta creeks the sooner we start building our own nationhood.

1 Like

Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by RuggedSniper: 4:12pm On Jul 16, 2020
Wale03:
My brother I'm from Edo state, my name is Ajayi Oluwole, I speak Yoruba as my first language and I'm from ovia south west of Edo state, there are many villages in Ovia local government that are been oppressed by the Oba of Benin, I'm from Usen town and we don't speak Bini but Yoruba, Utese is also a Yoruba town in Edo south and we speak same dialect the Ikale of ondo speak, so learn more about your Edo and stop spreading lies, we in ovia see ourselves more as Yoruba than Benin, more time we have fought to be merge with Ondo state but the Oba always suppress such moves
Which Edo people speak Yoruba as a second language Don't say what you don't know.
There are tribes in Akoko-Edo LGA that speaks Yoruba asides them no other tribes speaks Yoruba in Edo state. Historically the Akoko-Edo people are Yorubas captured by the great Benin empire.
WOW! I just posted info about Usen and Egbeta towns of direct Yoruba ancestry in Edo State. I read that Usen people greet one another by saying: "HOW IS IFE (UHE)?" All the best! Cc:TAO11

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by sylve11: 4:28pm On Jul 16, 2020
Nice... cool
Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by TAO11(f): 4:30pm On Jul 16, 2020
prezeus:

First of all, Oba Akiolu has debunked those misconstrued statements circulating in the poor media.

(1) Does 'Lagos Island' have historical relationship with Benin? YES!

(2) But did Benin conquer and imposed an Edo monarchy on 'Lagos Island'? Absolutely NO!

The Lagos monarchy traces back to Ashipa and his son Ado (born to him by a Bini princess).

(1) Ashipa is rightly and clearly recognized in the Lagos/Awori traditional account as an Awori prince, of Ife royal descent, from Isheri.

(2) The Bini traditional account, on the other hand, claims that he is a Bini prince, but same Bini account is unsure if he was a son or grandson of the then Bini king.

(i) However, an independent written account by Sir Allan Burns, the then Governor of Ghana and one time Governor General of Nigeria shows that Ashipa is a Yoruba -- an Awori chief from Isheri.

(ii) Also, linguistic argument upholds the Lagos/Awori account which is to the effect that the name "Ashipa" is clearly Yoruba in both pronounciation and meaning -- "the one who paves the path [for others to follow]". In other words, "the leader".

This name is found all over Yorubaland, even from 1500 Oyo Empire.

From the Bini side, however, it is claimed that his name is originally "Aisikpahienbore" -- meaning: "we shall not leave here"

This argument is clearly weak and an after-thought for the simple reason that this cannot possibly be the name of any human being -- "we shall not leave here".

(ii) Moreover, the burial practice of the then 'Lagos Island' kings shows that while their body is taken to Benin (emphasizing maternal and political connection), their heads are retained behind in Lagos (proving their paternal homeland). -- See: Robert Smith, "The Lagos Consulate, 1851-1861", p.6.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by Heavensent01(m): 4:42pm On Jul 16, 2020
labelle123:
. That one na over sabi. charity begins at home

compare Spain with USA in regards to their accommodation vibes
Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by Stubborn82: 5:05pm On Jul 16, 2020
What about Tina mba

1 Like

Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by AreaFada2: 5:21pm On Jul 16, 2020
[quote author=sesan85 post=91764007][/quote]
As late as 1940s, no Yoruba king used the title Oba. Yes, people knew them as "Oba". But why has Oba become part of every King's title since the last 40 to 50 years?
How did it become generic?

Copied from an illustrious user of that name.

That is a fact. You are the super ignorant one.

We have discuses the topic on Nairaland now for nearly 10 years.

Generic ko, genetic ni! shocked
Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by Rubicon67(m): 5:38pm On Jul 16, 2020
Ykc2:
oga I said ,if lagos was never a capital of nigeria it will be like other states in nigeria ,if ondo state was the capital of nigeria for many years like lagos you will will still say the same thing,imagine river state the capital of Nigeria for many like lagos with it more land mass oil and gas ,sea port air port all in river state all the oil companies and manufacturing companies all in river state, if lagos is making 200 billion monthly river state will be making like one trillion ,because government invested all most everything in lagos then that's why people are moving to lagos to make living nothing more,no one likes to stay in a traffic while people going to London will get to london first

If Lagos hasn't been a Capital, it still won't be like any other State in Nigeria. Lagos, I repeat, has what other states don't have such as geographical location, melting point of people from all works of life and corners of the world etc. It is unique. Toronto and New York has never been Capital of their respective countries but they thrive economically, socially and also a force to be reckon with politically and on a global stage.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by sesan85(m): 5:43pm On Jul 16, 2020
AreaFada2:

As late as 1940s, no Yoruba king used the title Oba. Yes, people knew them as "Oba". But why has Oba become part of every King's title since the last 40 to 50 years?
How did it become generic?

Copied from an illustrious user of that name.

That is a fact. You are the super ignorant one.

We have discuses the topic on Nairaland now for nearly 10 years.

Generic ko, genetic ni! shocked

Another typical ignorant Bini revionisist. It's your own problem if you don't know the meaning of the term "generic." Just look at this ill-educated dross: "As late as 1940s, no Yoruba king used the title Oba." What does this dishonest, fraudulent, ignorant horseshit even mean!?

When Afro-Brazilian
Cândido da Fonseca Galvão (1845-1890) called himself "Dom
Obá II D'África" because he was a grandson of Alaafin Abiodun of Oyo as far back as the 19th century? When the Oyo Empire itself had Oja Oba (King's market) near the palace?

What next, Bini revisionist; that Ogun, Shango (whom you call Ishango) and Eshu are Bini deities? Bloody liars!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by RuggedSniper: 5:53pm On Jul 16, 2020
TAO11:

First of all, Oba Akiolu has debunked those misconstrued statements circulating in the poor media.

(1) Does 'Lagos Island' have historical relationship with Benin? YES!

(2) But did Benin conquer and imposed an Edo monarchy on 'Lagos Island'? Absolutely NO!

The Lagos monarchy traces back to Ashipa and his son Ado (born to him by a Bini princess).

(1) Ashipa is rightly and clearly recognized in the Lagos/Awori traditional account as an Awori prince, of Ife royal descent, from Isheri.

(2) The Bini traditional account, on the other hand, claims that he is a Bini prince, but same Bini account is unsure if he was a son or grandson of the then Bini king.

(i) However, an independent written account by Sir Allan Burns, the then Governor of Ghana and one time Governor General of Nigeria shows that Ashipa is a Yoruba -- an Awori chief from Isheri.

(ii) Also, linguistic argument upholds the Lagos/Awori account which is to the effect that the name "Ashipa" is clearly Yoruba in both pronounciation and meaning -- "the one who paves the path [for others to follow]". In other words, "the leader".

This name is found all over Yorubaland, even from 1500 Oyo Empire.

From the Bini side, however, it is claimed that his name is originally "Aisikpahienbore" -- meaning: "we shall not leave here"

This argument is clearly weak and an after-thought for the simple reason that this cannot possibly be the name of any human being -- "we shall not leave here".

(ii) Moreover, the burial practice of the then 'Lagos Island' kings shows that while their body is taken to Benin (emphasizing maternal and political connection), their heads are retained behind in Lagos (proving their paternal homeland). -- See: Robert Smith, "The Lagos Consulate, 1851-1861", p.6.

This thread topic was on the Front Page of NL yesterday night. Thanks for doing MAX JUSTICE to this Lagos history in your post here. grin Hope you noted the post of Wale03 who is from the Yoruba-speaking Usen, Edo State. All the best!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jul 16, 2020
Efewestern:

Yes, not only Ajegunle, they occupied several parts of eastern Yoruba territory, like Ikale and Ilesha.

I created a thread about the Urhobo migration to Ikale, that was during the palm oil boom, the Urhobos ran the industry, took raw produce to Lagos for exports, reason you could find several generations of Deltans in those parts.

https://www.nairaland.com/5916221/look-urhobo-migration-okitipupa-other

wow. so true.
Re: Nine Prominent Yoruba Actors, Actresses Who Are Non-yoruba by AreaFada2: 6:01pm On Jul 16, 2020
sesan85:

Another typical ignorant Bini revionisist. It's your own problem if you don't know the meaning of the term "generic." Just look at this all-educated dross: "As late as 1940s, no Yoruba king used the title Oba." What does this dishonest, fraudulent, ignorant horseshit even mean!?

When Afro-Brazilian
Cândido da Fonseca Galvão (1845-1890) called himself "Dom
Obá II D'África" because he was a grandson of Alaafin Abiodun of Oyo as far back as the 19th century? When the Oyo Empire itself had Oja Oba (King's market) near the palace?

What next, Bini revisionist; that Ogun, Shango (whom you call Ishango) and Eshu are Bini deities? Bloody liars!
Chai, see a very pained person. grin

So pained you could not even read to understand.

Despite your claim to omniscience and wisdom of king Solomon, you couldn't see where I wrote that your kings may well have been known as Obas, possibly much later in history, they never appended the title Oba.

You are quoting what someone wrote in 1840s.
Can you compare that to a letter written from Benin to Lisbon by a Portuguese in 1516 clearly mentioning Oba of Beny (Benin), and Benin-Idah war that began over a year earlier and still raging at the time?

When Benin sacked Akure in 1818 and beheaded their king Arakale for rebellion, all documented evidence never attached the title Oba to Deji of Akure.

Same was the case with Kings' titles throughout lands that the Muslims later baptised Yoruba (to mean untrustworthy, deceitful, unreliable, etc).

Let me remind you that many yoruba people come with their condescending attitude, self given title of over educated and sophisticated, like they founded Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, Sorbonne, Heidelberg, Bologna, Leuven, Karolinska, etc.

They then argue blindly hoping to get no opposition. They end up swearing like a common agbero so prevalent in SW.

I Know your antics by now. grin cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Osita Iheme Pawpaw's The Resident Hotel Opens In Owerri, Imo State (Photos) / Genevieve Nnaji To Marry Alhaji Ishaya Bako Soon… / Toyin Majekodunmi "Iya Kike" Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.