Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,171 members, 7,835,917 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? (28959 Views)

Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? / Man To End Marriage Of 16 Years With His Wife After Discovering Her Real Age / 21-Year-Old Lady Discovers Her Dad Was Not Her Real Father In A Biology Class (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jul 16, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

IMAGINE THIS KIND OF NONSENSE.
IF YOU RETURN THE FAVOUR IT MAY CAUSE AN APOCALYPSE.
That's just it... They might even tag you a non romantic "abusive partner"
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by CAPSLOCKED: 12:24pm On Jul 16, 2020
JidennaJason:
That's just it... They might even tag you a non romantic "abusive partner"

NEVER PLAY THE GENTLEMAN CARD FELLAS. THERE'S A REASON THE TAG "GENTLEMAN" EXIST BUT THERE'S NO "GENTLEWOMAN". YOU'RE EXPECTED TO PLAY DUNDEE. ONCE YOU GIVE BACK EXACTLY WHAT YOU RECEIVE YOU'RE A MISOGYNISTIC ABUSER. THERE'S NOTHING ROMANTIC ABOUT DEROGATORY NAMES. DUNDEE MEN DON'T KNOW THIS. IF YOUR GIRLFRIEND CALLS YOU COW MEAT, CALL HER GOAT FACE OR SIMILAR NONSENSE AND SEE THE RESULT.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by CAPSLOCKED: 12:28pm On Jul 16, 2020
Ariza:
I think "Dear" is more acceptable. Nigerians don kuku normalize and bastardized the word already. Everyone nah dear. grin

ESPECIALLY WHEN FOLKS WANT TO OBTAIN YOU. I DEVELOPED DISDAIN FOR ANYTHING PET NAMES BECAUSE YOUR CHAT SHOW YOU CALL EVERYBODY ON YOUR CONTACT THE SAME NAMES. I THOUGHT I'M SUPPOSED TO BE SPECIAL? cheesy
JUST CALL ME MY NAME. THE REAL DISRESPECT IS CALLING ME BABY WHEN YOU HAVE MORE BABIES THAN A QUEEN BEE.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jul 16, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

NEVER PLAY THE GENTLEMAN CARD FELLAS. THERE'S A REASON THE TAG "GENTLEMAN" EXIST BUT THERE'S NO "GENTLEWOMAN". YOU'RE EXPECTED TO PLAY DUNDEE. ONCE YOU GIVE BACK EXACTLY WHAT YOU RECEIVE YOU'RE A MISOGYNISTIC ABUSER. THERE'S NOTHING ROMANTIC ABOUT DEROGATORY NAMES. DUNDEE MEN DON'T KNOW THIS. IF YOUR GIRLFRIEND CALLS YOU COW MEAT, CALL HER GOAT FACE OR SIMILAR NONSENSE AND SEE THE RESULT.
Damn!!! grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jul 16, 2020

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Winneygirl(f): 2:08pm On Jul 16, 2020
I will just call him "Baba Bose".

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Cynie42: 9:57pm On Jul 16, 2020
Liposure:
Call me dear, tunde or wizzy. Am fine
Tunde grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by SmartPolician: 1:40pm On Jul 17, 2020
Everything depends on the couple

There's no standard
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Geminita: 1:41pm On Jul 17, 2020
Partners should know what works for them
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Chudivictor(m): 1:43pm On Jul 17, 2020
some people prefer "Papa Emma" or "Mama Dorcas"

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by NewDelhi(m): 1:44pm On Jul 17, 2020
Younger couples address themselves by their real names. As they grow older, they used their child name and add papa/daddy and mama/mommy in front.

Eg papa junior/ daddy junior.

Papa usage more common with the easterners and Southerners while daddy is more common with the westerners.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Chudivictor(m): 1:44pm On Jul 17, 2020
donstan18:

grin cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

Like, a wife calling her husband "Cow Head" in public before everyone. Wtf!!! grin

Most couples I've seen don't call themselves anything atall in public, they rather go closer to strike any convo or so.
exactly
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by clockwisereport: 1:46pm On Jul 17, 2020
call me John in public and you go on automatic sabbatical leave
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Johnwar1: 1:47pm On Jul 17, 2020
This is the major problem am having with the women of today...and it's so unfortunate that 80% of today women are doing it...how will you be calling me name in the presence of my kids... despite being older than you by 5 years

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Exponental(m): 1:50pm On Jul 17, 2020
It's a personal decision. My wife calls me my name sometimes and it's ok by me, of course, she calls me "daddy" in front of my children.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Chudivictor(m): 1:51pm On Jul 17, 2020
NerdyRudeGyal:
I don't like when people call me "Dear" would not call my partner "Dear" either (but another pet name and one that's sacred + meaningful) because Nigerians have made me dislike the word with their excessive and anyhow usage of the word.

Okay Dear

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Angeldada55(m): 1:52pm On Jul 17, 2020
donstan18:
Having known that the use of romantic and lovely names is one of the common things in marriages, but I still do not think it's a yardstick to measure the respect and love your partner got for you, because some people prefer maintaining a high level of simplicity and straightforwardness in what they do.

So I would wanna know, how proper is it to address your partner by his or her real name in public places before people?

Let's see what people got to say cool

There's nothing wrong in your partner calling you by name in public. Of course, i know it could happen the other way round but that's not the subject.

And the best apology is CHANGED CHARACTER - when you carry your own water, you'll learn the value of every drop �[color=#000099][/color][/i][i][b][/b][center][/center]

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by RillJ(m): 1:55pm On Jul 17, 2020
No problem but the the man should be in liberty to call her such names as K-leg lady, flat yansh babe, plumby princess, Big brex, Tin-tin Babe, W (dobloyu) Nose, Humpty-Dumpty Yansh etc

JidennaJason:
"The worst thing to happen to man, nah see finish"

I have heard some ladies say that if they can't call their partners "playful" names like "Big Nose" "Cow head" "Dog brain" and "Goat Mouth" they ain't in a relationship with the right person.

We shouldn't get all serious in a relationship and at the same time we shouldn't give room for stupidity.

Calling me by my first name is not disrespectful, but calling it like you gave birth to me and the sole administrator of my life in public, that's where I will draw the line.
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Yankee101: 1:56pm On Jul 17, 2020
And why not

Better a pet name though
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by AMI3(m): 1:57pm On Jul 17, 2020
It all depend on what pleases you guys
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Mummyfour(f): 1:57pm On Jul 17, 2020
grin when I try to call the guy man my love, sweetie,and any other sweet name in private,he will look at me some how and say " what do you want now?. What do you want to buy" so he prefers i call him his name whether private or in public. We are cool with that.He feels calling him a pet name is a subtle way of catching him off guard to extort him

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Amozever12: 1:59pm On Jul 17, 2020
JidennaJason:
"The worst thing to happen to man, nah see finish"

I have heard some ladies say that if they can't call their partners "playful" names like "Big Nose" "Cow head" "Dog brain" and "Goat Mouth"
This one weak me! That's derogatory. Anyway, is the guys/men that accept all these, because of so called yeye love.
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by donstan18: 1:59pm On Jul 17, 2020
Mummyfour:
grin when I try to call the guy man my love, sweetie,and any other sweet name in private,he will look at me some how and say " what do you want now?. What do you want to buy" so he prefers i call him his name whether private or in public. We are cool with that. He feels calling him a pet name is a subtle way of catching off guard to extort him

cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

But we know how ladies operate in that settings nh! cheesy
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by holuwajobar(m): 2:00pm On Jul 17, 2020
Ariza:
I think "Dear" is the normal word people accept.

Couples can also create pet names for themselves too, in my tribe "Ayanfe" "olami" ,"ademi" are very common and people don't react negatively to such name. How they come up with them? Shorten your partner's name and personalize it by adding "Mi" ( Mine).

If the partner is Odewunmi, so I say "odeMI"

3 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jul 17, 2020
holuwajobar:

Yes nah , shebi it's your partner and it will be your break up too. grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by adedayoa2(f): 2:04pm On Jul 17, 2020
holuwajobar:

Ówunmi

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Mypeople2(m): 2:05pm On Jul 17, 2020
I would prefer sweetheart, my love, my angel, my heartbeat, or any foreign sweet name for your spouse.But anytime you hear me call her by her name, just know say casala don burst

3 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jul 17, 2020
NerdyRudeGyal:
I don't like when people call me "Dear" would not call my partner "Dear" either (but another pet name and one that's sacred + meaningful) because Nigerians have made me dislike the word with their excessive and anyhow usage of the word.

You are not alone in this.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by holuwajobar(m): 2:06pm On Jul 17, 2020
adedayoa2:
Ówunmi
. Me no Sabi sign in Yoruba
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by silverkings: 2:07pm On Jul 17, 2020
JidennaJason:

Maybe you should devote one day to view the WhatsApp status of some of your contact and see dumb caption like;

"Bitch mode activated"

"Just a bad bitch doing my thing"

"Covid-19 can't stop me, I am a bitch with a difference"

I waste no seconds to block those senseless môrons.

The last sentence got me laughing grin[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by TheManOfTheYear: 2:07pm On Jul 17, 2020
Should this even be a big deal?
Why not call your partner with endearments like "honey", "sweetie" etc or if you don't like that, call yourselves by your names.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Which Of These Childhood Treats Did You Miss? / Mother's Day: Share Those Annoying Things Your Mum Used To Do You Now Appreciate / Personality: Meet Dele Giwa's First Daughter, Funmilayo [photo]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.