Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,934 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable (51066 Views)

Reps’ Bill Empowers NBC To Decide Tariffs For DSTV, Others / NBC Directs Gotv, DSTV, Others To Allow Local Stations Run Without Subscription / AIT Back On Air — 24 Hours After NBC Sanction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by iwaeda: 10:22pm On Jul 24, 2020
Citing fears of a possible spread of COVID-19 among inmates, Lai Mohammed, minister of information and culture, has asked the Nigerian Broadcasting Commission (NBC) to take Big Brother Naija (BBN) off the air, multiple sources have told TheCable.

The reality show, which entered its fifth season on July 20, is one of the most watched programmes on cable TV in Nigeria.

On Wednesday, Armstrong Idachaba, acting director-general of the NBC, told senior management members that he had been directed by the minister to shut down the show, TheCable learnt.

The commission was to use fears of spread of COVID-19 as the reason, citing directives from the presidential task force (PTF), insiders said.

Mohammed reportedly wanted the letter shutting down the show to come from the NBC because of the general opinion that he is bent on sending MultiChoice Ltd, producers of the show, out of Nigeria.

He is believed to have launched political moves against MultiChoice in order to pave the way for his main consultant to make a return to Pay TV after previously failing.

However, insiders told TheCable that the NBC management was not well disposed to the move to shut down BBN, with some of them saying there was no basis for it.

A director is said to have reminded the meeting that NBC had already sought explanation from Multichoice on a possible violation of COVID-19 protocols with the airing of the show.

The letter was sent on July 1, before the show began.

MultiChoice replied with detailed explanations on measures taken in collaboration with the Lagos state government, whose agency, Lagos State Safety Commission, gave the green light for the show.

Also, MultiChoice said in the letter that housemates had been screened prior to the show and that the BBN House had been decontaminated and adapted to ensure sufficient physical distancing, in addition to eliminating the use of live audience.

All inmates went through a mandatory two-week isolation during which COVID-19 symptoms would have manifested if they had the disease.

A second director is said to have told the meeting that participants of the show had maintained the safety protocols, notably generous use of hand sanitisers, since it started on Sunday.

Idachaba, who is reportedly fighting to be confirmed as the substantive DG, was asked to request the minister for a written directive.

However, the acting DG was said to have told the meeting that he would have no other option than to carry out Mohammed’s order — the same way he altered the broadcast code to please the minister despite public outcry.

TheCable could not reach the minister for comments as he did not pick his phone or reply messages.

The ministry’s spokesman, Segun Adeyemi, also did not respond to calls.

Joe Mutah, Mohammed’s chief press secretary, directed TheCable to speak to NBC.

Idachaba, in his response to TheCable, simply said BBN will not be taken off air but did not provide any further information.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thecable.ng/sources-lai-mohammed-asks-nbc-to-stop-big-brother-naija-over-covid-19/amp

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by gunners160(m): 10:32pm On Jul 24, 2020
if this news is true, then it is best news of 2020
I wonder how people sit down to watch how some else live their life and even make a gossip out of it.
instead of watching this yeye big broda, I rather seat down and watch a blank Television screen

774 Likes 73 Shares

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by byinks(f): 10:39pm On Jul 24, 2020
Cash is a universal language

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by achierosion(m): 10:40pm On Jul 24, 2020
Better.

Apart from some people who enjoy watching the program on their Television, there's nothing again to learn.

I support that tap water

120 Likes 7 Shares

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by achierosion(m): 10:42pm On Jul 24, 2020
gunners160:
I wonder how people sit down to watch how some else live their life and even make a gossip out of it.
instead of watching this yeye big broda, I rather seat down and watch a blank Television screen
hahahahagrin
You don't hate that shiiit the way I hate it, I never opened any thread discussing about BBnaija

334 Likes 26 Shares

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by Yankee101: 10:51pm On Jul 24, 2020
I hope so

4 Likes

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by haffaze777(m): 10:56pm On Jul 24, 2020
Good news grin

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by SarkinYarki: 11:01pm On Jul 24, 2020
I am not a fan of the show but If they knew they were going to shut it down then why allow them to even start in the first place

231 Likes 13 Shares

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by iwaeda: 11:13pm On Jul 24, 2020
We are still waiting for his masqurade show

5 Likes

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by XXXXTENTACION: 11:23pm On Jul 24, 2020
Will any truth ever come out of lai mohammed

¿ cool %

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by khingTony(m): 11:26pm On Jul 24, 2020
E suppose don stop am since na

But well, its better late than never, Hope this comes to pass smiley

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by paulolee(m): 11:26pm On Jul 24, 2020
if its true, its a goodnews and a good step towards a right direction because i still see no essence of that show, gathering of clueless people to distract the masses..

90 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by Wigetsolar: 11:59pm On Jul 24, 2020
Some people wont like this news...

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by Righteousness89(m): 12:09am On Jul 25, 2020
If they are Serious about it, That's Some Awesome Bold Move!

Highly Commendable and Very Bold Move..

Even though Many don't know, it will Save them From Spiritual and Physical losses..

Hopefully it is Real!

87 Likes 6 Shares

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by jplusnaira: 12:37am On Jul 25, 2020
Hmm
Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by Anazp: 12:44am On Jul 25, 2020
BBN or whatever it's called should be shut down now

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by zamirikpo(m): 1:09am On Jul 25, 2020
That where u will see them act, fulani has been killing people all over the country.....no one is doing anything.

Boko boys are claiming territories in the North, is lai not seeing that one, abi I should talk of the the NDDC,EFCC,NEDC and NNPC frauds going on,what has the minister of info. told us. NOTHING.

Pls leave bigbrother to do his business, apart from schools the economy has been opened. Those youths are Nigerians, fending for themselves in a country that has abandoned them.

88 Likes 9 Shares

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by Chekitaut: 1:42am On Jul 25, 2020
lovers of ponography will not be happy. People wey dem don use nude swear for... How market

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by bcomputer101: 3:09am On Jul 25, 2020
Righteousness89:
If they are Serious about it, That's Some Awesome Bold Move!

Highly Commendable!!

Pele ooo Nairaland robot..

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by ogbuefi677(m): 4:20am On Jul 25, 2020
The the zoogerians above,as much as I passionately dislike bbnaija,bbnaija is not among your problems.
Your problems are buhari and his gang of corrupt saints,herdsmen,bandits, boko boys,recession etc

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by PowerOfLove: 4:22am On Jul 25, 2020
gunners160:

Lol
Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by Rhesusmonkey(m): 5:12am On Jul 25, 2020
If true, then its the best thing Lai Mohamed has done since his life time, and a commendable one I must say.

18 Likes

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by InfoSources: 5:23am On Jul 25, 2020
Nice one

2 Likes

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by helinues: 5:36am On Jul 25, 2020
Misplaced priority..

Is any local station showing the show?

12 Likes

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by Adewale1603(m): 5:51am On Jul 25, 2020
good development

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by Nobody: 6:50am On Jul 25, 2020
Hmmm
Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by Apawicked: 9:03am On Jul 25, 2020
Of all the problem plaguing Nigeria bbnaija is your headache. Stupid country

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by richie240: 9:24am On Jul 25, 2020
Good development!
How will you rationalize students embargoed from going to school for 'fear of corona' whilst their mates are free to participate in a carnal show that goes against all d safety measures of covid-19 ncdc preaches.

Is DT not hypocritical?

The same undergraduate who is ready to wear face mask and observe social distancing is not allowed to go to school but permitted to attend bbn.

Who dey do us sef?

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by Skyfornia(m): 10:03am On Jul 25, 2020
I'm indifferent

3 Likes

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by seunmsg(m): 10:30am On Jul 25, 2020
There is no sense in shutting down the show. Lai Mohammed should shut up and face more serious issues facing the country.

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by Amotolongbo(f): 10:52am On Jul 25, 2020
The last time I checked, the Ondo and Edo State primary elections held, the participants were more than 22, unlike the BBN which has 20 housemates and few few people. The primaries were not halted.

The gubernatorial elections will still hold in these states and the pandemic won’t be considered an excuse to postpone the elections.

Many precautions were put in place before starting this edition of BBN and the participants well all tested before being admitted into the house. The precautions still continue.

If Mr Lai Mohammed has any issue or reservations for the show or Multichoice, he can please come out explicitly to tell us and stop citing in inexcusable reason of pandemic.

58 Likes 6 Shares

Re: BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Orders NBC To Stop BBN Over COVID-19 – The Cable by arejibadz(m): 11:10am On Jul 25, 2020
Lol

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

BBNaija: What Tobi Said That Caused CeeC To Insult The Hell Out Of Him / Breakdown Of The BBNaija N45M Prize Won By Miracle / Complete Download: Jenifa's Diary Season 10 Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.