Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,129 members, 7,863,936 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 09:17 AM

A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly (1163 Views)

Could This Be Why Ekweremadu And Wife Wanted To Harvest Organ? / A'ibom Govt Unveils Automobile Assembling Plant, Speaks On Massive Employment / Atiku Approves N33,000 Minimum Wage For All 100,000 Staff On His Payroll (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by SibaKeAkwaibom: 7:28pm On Jul 28, 2020
A'IBOM GOVT TO HARVEST 100,000 TOMATOES WEEKLY, BEGINNING AUGUST

By Mfonobong Ukpong

As part of the post Covid19 economic activities of the Governor Udom Emmanuel led administration, the government is poised to boost tomato availability in the state with a weekly harvest of over 100,000 tomatoes beginning from the third week of August this year.

Already, about 108,000 tomato seedlings plantation is currently being cultivated on 7 hectares of farmland at Ifiayong and Mbiakong communities in Uruan local government area of the state.

Speaking with newsmen, Tuesday at the tomato farmland, the Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Technical Matters and Co-ordinator of the project Mr. Ufot Ebong explained that he got a marching order from the Governor to ensure that Tomato cultivation which began in 2016 with a pilot programme was mass cultivated across the 10 federal constituencies in the state.

Ebong further explained that the idea behind the new Tomato plantation at Ifiayong was to ensure that the state is self sufficient in tomato production and to make it available for local and international market.

"During the lockdown we realized we were able to feed ourselves because of the food sufficiency programme of the Governor.

"What we are doing here is to perfect what we started in 2016 in terms of cultivating 22 different types of vegetable.

"We will transplant this tomato seedlings from the Nursery here to the farm which is being prepared as you can see the bed making in preparation for tomatoes cultivation of 108,000 seedlings of tomatoes".

A Supervisor working at the plantation, Idongesit Eshiet who is a graduate of Agric Economics and Extension, hailed Governor Udom Emmanuel for his commitment in ensuring food security and availability in the state.

"I used to assume that tomato production was exclusively for the North, but to the glory of God, His Excellency through Ufot Ebong has changed that mentality.

"Few days from now we will transplant the tomato seedlings. What I'm doing here has really added value to me. A lot of people travel out of this state to do this bed tilling in the North".

In every week from the third week of August they will be harvesting over a 100,000 tomatoes. It is a continuous cycle.

1 Like

Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by Mcreloaded(m): 7:48pm On Jul 28, 2020
Every food crop grown in the North can be grown in the south the major difference is land preparation for farming is much more easier compared to the south.

The soil in the North is easy to till while here in the south you have to clear and burn and do serious weeding compared to the North.

5 Likes

Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by donbachi(m): 7:49pm On Jul 28, 2020
Akwa ibom ayaya!..make other south south states dey there dey chop awarawa tomatoes from north.

4 Likes

Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by Harrykn: 7:56pm On Jul 28, 2020
My People, my People shock them, Yak amana aloud grin #Amanisong

1 Like

Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by Harrykn: 7:56pm On Jul 28, 2020
My People, my People shock them, Yak amana aloud grin #Amanisong

1 Like

Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by Arrewa: 7:57pm On Jul 28, 2020
Mcreloaded:
Every food crop grown in the North can be grown in the south the major difference is land preparation for farming is much more easier compared to the south.

The soil in the North is easy to till while here in the south you have to clear and burn and do serious weeding compared to the North.
shut up!! Where is the Audo tomatoes??

Make una dey there dey decieve una selves.

Let imagine its true...

They are producing 100,000 dry Awarawa tomatoes...

Do you know how many billions of tomatoes the north used to produce every year??

You are eating rice and stew every Sunday is because of Northern Nigeria.

So keep calm and be grateful

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by Arrewa: 8:02pm On Jul 28, 2020
donbachi:
Akwa ibom ayaya!..make other south south states dey there dey chop awarawa tomatoes from north.
they produce 5 baskets of tomatoes and telling you they produce 100,000 and you're already happy and condemning the north that has been feeding your region since Nigeria was amalgamated

1 Like

Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by NigeriaIsDoomed: 2:03am On Jul 29, 2020
Arrewa:

Let imagine its true...

Do you know how many billions of tomatoes the north used to produce every year??

Shut your gutter mouth! Other regions have ventured into rice production and are doing just fine without that your stones rice. t
The South was importing foreign rice prior to the shuttin of the borders and have been surviving without your useless rice.
Stop misinforming the public.

6 Likes

Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by Nobody: 2:19am On Jul 29, 2020
Arrewa:

Let imagine its true...

We should be grateful cos they are giving it out for free?, They should be grateful cos we are taking their half quality commodities off their hands undecided

4 Likes

Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by dalongjnr: 2:33am On Jul 29, 2020
My problem is, who counted it to be sure its 100,000?

1 Like

Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by Ilaumoh(m): 2:40am On Jul 29, 2020
Wow, that's lovely... Am so happy for my state.
No wonder the governor is planning to build a tomatoes paste factory next year

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by Ilaumoh(m): 2:41am On Jul 29, 2020
dalongjnr:
My problem is, who counted it to be sure its 100,000?
You know it by the average numbers of dry seedlings planted...
Lalastclala, seun and mynd44 abeg carry am go FP

3 Likes

Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by Ilaumoh(m): 2:47am On Jul 29, 2020
Harrykn:
My People, my People shock them, Yak amana aloud grin
#Amanisong
Baddest... The state is really growing

4 Likes

Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by Ilaumoh(m): 2:50am On Jul 29, 2020
IspitonCowards:
We should be grateful cos they are giving it out for free?, They should be grateful cos we are taking their half quality commodities off their hands undecided

grin... Slayer spotted

3 Likes

Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by ogbuefi677(m): 5:00am On Jul 29, 2020
Arrewa:

Let imagine its true...

You still carry this your terrorist behaviour enter nairaland?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by dalongjnr: 5:40am On Jul 29, 2020
Ilaumoh:

You know it by the average numbers of dry seedlings planted...
Lalastclala, seun and mynd44 abeg carry am go FP
Wrong. One seedling can produce almost 20 or more "tomatoes' at a time, not 100,000 seedlings=100,000 tomatoes".
Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by Arrewa: 8:04am On Jul 29, 2020
NigeriaIsDoomed:
Shut your gutter mouth! Other regions have ventured into rice production and are doing just fine without that your stones rice. t
The South was importing foreign rice prior to the shuttin of the borders and have been surviving without your useless rice.
Stop misinforming the public.
make una dey there dey decieve una selves... We have been hearing that since 1980.
Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by CodeTemplar: 8:55am On Jul 29, 2020
This is a good initiative being blown out of proportion.

1 hectare is 100m X 100m of land and I see no news worthy thing in 7 hectares being cultivated by a state govt.
Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by CodeTemplar: 9:00am On Jul 29, 2020
Arrewa:

Let imagine its true...

Oga core northerner, please grow a brain or use the one that may be there. People eat rice and stew because they pay for it. If it doesn't come from the north I can get it from Benin Republic or Thailand. I can also plant it.

On the contrary, how many of your own can do anything outside agriculture without oil money?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by Arrewa: 9:01am On Jul 29, 2020
CodeTemplar:
Oga core northerner, please grow a brain or use the one that may be there. People eat rice and stew because they pay for it. If it doesn't come from the north I can get it from Benin Republic or Thailand. I can also plant it.

On the contrary, how many of your own can do anything outside agriculture without oil money?
that's what they use to decieve you...

Hausafulani are the only tribe giving Igbos run on their own money when it comes to Bussiness.

The only difference is that we don't normally invest outside... We invest in our region and don't chest beat.

We have millions of Bussiness men here in the north.

We have millions of civil servants.

We have millions of farmers...

Make una stop dey decieve each other down south.
Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by CodeTemplar: 9:03am On Jul 29, 2020
Arrewa:
? ? ?
Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by ODB2: 9:04am On Jul 29, 2020
Hydroponic greenhouse cultivation would yield 10 times the amount that will be harvested from open farmland.

You can even combine fish farming in hydroponic cultivation. Having a poultry farm nearby will also be beneficial as both manure and also earthworm farm to feed the fishes.

I expected something more sophisticated than this from Akwa Ibom state government.
Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by CodeTemplar: 9:07am On Jul 29, 2020
Arrewa:

Hausafulani are the only tribe giving igbo run on their own money when it comes to Bussiness.

The only difference is that we don't normally invest outside... We invest in our region and don't chest beat.

Make stop dey decieve each other down south.
See diversion o.

So you are now a business guage for tribes abi?
Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by explorer250(m): 9:10am On Jul 29, 2020
I don't believe it until I see it happening. only a fool will trust politicians
Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by CodeTemplar: 9:13am On Jul 29, 2020
Arrewa:

Hausafulani are the only tribe giving Igbos run on their own money when it comes to Bussiness.

Make stop dey decieve each other down south.
So taking over farm settlement to graze after genocide is investment? Your brain must be missing indeed.

4 Likes

Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by Ilaumoh(m): 12:35pm On Jul 29, 2020
ODB2:
Hydroponic greenhouse cultivation would yield 10 times the amount that will be harvested from open farmland.

You can even combine fish farming in hydroponic cultivation. Having a poultry farm nearby will also be beneficial as both manure and also earthworm farm to feed the fishes.

I expected something more sophisticated than this from Akwa Ibom state government.
You can aswell go and invest / do it in the state ok
Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by ODB2: 12:42pm On Jul 29, 2020
Ilaumoh:

You can aswell go and invest / do it in the state ok

Very expensive to start up. My estimate was at least 40-50 million naira for an acre although you are guaranteed year round cultivation and harvest , the capital no dey my brother.

Was thinking of chillies and green peppers as well as they fetch more money.

How I wish I had the connection to the governor to advice them on this approach. I expected something better than this from Akwa Ibom as that state is truly blazing paths.

3 Likes

Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by Ilaumoh(m): 12:57pm On Jul 29, 2020
ODB2:

Very expensive to start up. My estimate was at least 40-50 million naira for an acre although you are guaranteed year round cultivation and harvest , the capital no dey my brother.

Was thinking of chillies and green peppers as well as they fetch more money.

How I wish I had the connection to the governor to advice them on this approach. I expected something better than this from Akwa Ibom as that state is truly blazing paths.
If you are in Uyo.. What you need is to visit dakkada office at udoudoma and also go to shelter Afrique car wash.. You will easily get in touch with one of those politicians

2 Likes

Re: A'ibom Govt To Harvest 100,000 Tomatoes Weekly by SibaKeAkwaibom: 4:53pm On Jul 29, 2020
Arrewa:

Let imagine its true...

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Financial Costs Of Buhari’s Cluelessness - By Reno Omokri / End SARS Protesters Shut Down NPA, Oil Facilities In Delta / Youth Repels Hoodlums, Protect Police Station In Agugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.