Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,434 members, 7,826,680 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English (2404 Views)

Malami Announced Kanu's Arrest In Hausa. Later Held Press Conference In English / Stop Issuing Warnings To Bandits In English, Shehu Sani Mocks Buhari / WAEC: Ademola Adeleke Scored F9 In English, Missed The Rest Of The Exams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by prof2007: 5:03pm On Jul 30, 2020
With over 520 languages including dialects, Nigeria is a country of many tongues. While English is regarded as the first language due to the influence of British colonial rule, there are several other derivatives of it including pidgin (also known as broken English or slang). Here’s your need-to-know guide...

1. AMEBO
This is used to refer to a person who likes to gossip or likes spreading gossip e.g. ‘you too like amebo’ means ‘you love gossip’, whereas ‘she’s an amebo’ means ‘she’s a gossip’.

2. AJEBUTTER
In Nigeria this term is used to refer to people who are well off or brought up with a silver spoon. It can also be simply termed ‘butter’ for short.

3. CONTROL (Ctrl) P
A recent slang in the Nigerian slang lexicon, ‘control P’ is a term used when someone is taking a situation too personally. For example, ‘na control P dey worry am’ means the person is taking things too personally.

4. FALL MY HAND
This is another popular slang that is used when someone is disappointed by a person or something that happened. For example, ‘no fall my hand’ means ‘don’t disappoint me’, while ‘na so dem fall my hand for there’ means ‘that’s how I was disappointed over there’.

5. GBOSA
This slang is an action word which means to punch or slap, but can be as well used to refer to the sound made when someone or something is being punched. For example, ‘I go give you gbosa for head!’ means ‘I will punch/slap your head!’ The word can also be used when describing the sound of a punch, as in ‘Pow!’.

6. JACK
This slang is commonly used by students and shouldn’t be confused with the English name of the same spelling. To ‘jack’ means to study or revise effectively. ‘I dey go jack for my exam’ means ‘I’m going to study for my exam’.

7. SOJI
This word is an abbreviation of the Yoruba name Adesoji, which means ‘the crown is revived’. However, when used in everyday vernacular, it means to be knowledgeable about something or street smart. For example, ‘she too soji’ means ‘she’s very smart’.

8. JARA
Jara is derived from the Yoruba language and it means to add extra or give a freebie after something has already been bought or paid for. For example, when serving a dish at a restaurant, customers can usually be found asking for ‘jara’, at which point the seller might add an extra piece of meat or scoop of rice at his or her discretion.

9. KOLO
This means to go crazy or mad. This can mean literally or metaphorically depending on the context.

10. MAGA/MUGU
This is used to describe someone regarded as a fool or someone who is very gullible or being conned e.g. ‘you be maga’ means ‘you’re a fool’. But in this context – ‘my maga promise me hundred thousand Naira’, it shows that the person who’s being referred to as the maga is being conned.

11. YAB
This is another slang mostly used by younger people, as it’s usually in a playful yet insulting manner. It means to diss or make fun of someone. For example, ‘he loves to yab people’ means ‘he loves to diss people’.

SOURCE: https://theculturetrip.com/africa/nigeria/articles/11-untranslatable-nigerian-slang-words-we-need-in-english/

Do you know any other Naija slangs that deserve formal entry into the English lexicon? Do post it here, for discussion...

2 Likes

Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by illicit(m): 5:05pm On Jul 30, 2020
Yeba
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by LadyExcellency: 5:08pm On Jul 30, 2020
AROBA M

1 Like

Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by chatinent: 5:19pm On Jul 30, 2020
For yab, it's originally called yap.

1 Like

Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by ekorian: 5:48pm On Jul 30, 2020
Point of correction , JARA is a word from the Hausa language not Yoruba. It has d exact meaning you pointed out.

prof2007:
With over 520 languages including dialects, Nigeria is a country of many tongues. While English is regarded as the first language due to the influence of British colonial rule, there are several other derivatives of it including pidgin (also known as broken English or slang). Here’s your need-to-know guide...

1. AMEBO
This is used to refer to a person who likes to gossip or likes spreading gossip e.g. ‘you too like amebo’ means ‘you love gossip’, whereas ‘she’s an amebo’ means ‘she’s a gossip’.

2. AJEBUTTER
In Nigeria this term is used to refer to people who are well off or brought up with a silver spoon. It can also be simply termed ‘butter’ for short.
3. CONTROL (Ctrl) P
A recent slang in the Nigerian slang lexicon, ‘control P’ is a term used when someone is taking a situation too personally. For example, ‘na control P dey worry am’ means the person is taking things too personally.

4. FALL MY HAND
This is another popular slang that is used when someone is disappointed by a person or something that happened. For example, ‘no fall my hand’ means ‘don’t disappoint me’, while ‘na so dem fall my hand for there’ means ‘that’s how I was disappointed over there’.

5. GBOSA
This slang is an action word which means to punch or slap, but can be as well used to refer to the sound made when someone or something is being punched. For example, ‘I go give you gbosa for head!’ means ‘I will punch/slap your head!’ The word can also be used when describing the sound of a punch, as in ‘Pow!’.

6. JACK
This slang is commonly used by students and shouldn’t be confused with the English name of the same spelling. To ‘jack’ means to study or revise effectively. ‘I dey go jack for my exam’ means ‘I’m going to study for my exam’.

7. SOJI
This word is an abbreviation of the Yoruba name Adesoji, which means ‘the crown is revived’. However, when used in everyday vernacular, it means to be knowledgeable about something or street smart. For example, ‘she too soji’ means ‘she’s very smart’.

8. JARA
Jara is derived from the Yoruba language and it means to add extra or give a freebie after something has already been bought or paid for. For example, when serving a dish at a restaurant, customers can usually be found asking for ‘jara’, at which point the seller might add an extra piece of meat or scoop of rice at his or her discretion.

9. KOLO
This means to go crazy or mad. This can mean literally or metaphorically depending on the context.

10. MAGA/MUGU
This is used to describe someone regarded as a fool or someone who is very gullible or being conned e.g. ‘you be maga’ means ‘you’re a fool’. But in this context – ‘my maga promise me hundred thousand Naira’, it shows that the person who’s being referred to as the maga is being conned.

11. YAB
This is another slang mostly used by younger people, as it’s usually in a playful yet insulting manner. It means to diss or make fun of someone. For example, ‘he loves to yab people’ means ‘he loves to diss people’.

SOURCE: https://theculturetrip.com/africa/nigeria/articles/11-untranslatable-nigerian-slang-words-we-need-in-english/

Do you know any other Naija slangs that deserve formal entry into the English lexicon? Do post it here, for discussion...
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by Gjrich(m): 5:59pm On Jul 30, 2020
pepper done rest.

Pepper means money

Pepper done rest means money done come
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by Gjrich(m): 6:01pm On Jul 30, 2020
Wahala

Wahala means trouble
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by Gjrich(m): 6:03pm On Jul 30, 2020
Yawa

Yawa means Problem

Yawa done cast means There is problem
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by Gjrich(m): 6:07pm On Jul 30, 2020
Shakara or blow guy

Means self-pride
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by prof2007: 6:10pm On Jul 30, 2020
12. SHAYO
Refers to alcoholic drinks e.g. "Make we go shayo" means “Let’s go grab a drink”.

13. ABEG
Means please e.g. "abeg make I pass" means "please make way".

14. BAFF UP
Means to dress nicely.

15. YAWA
Implies trouble or problem e.g. "Yawa done cast" means "there is problem".
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by SaintBeehot(m): 6:10pm On Jul 30, 2020
ekorian:
Point of correction , JARA is a word from the Hausa language not Yoruba. It has d exact meaning you pointed out.

you hear broken so
Jara in Hausa= addition
Jara in Yoruba= please ( most commonly used)
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by IamWonderful: 6:42pm On Jul 30, 2020
prof2007:

5. GBOSA
n...
You tried but with this one you are wrong, gbosa means kudos or bravo, like 3 gbosa for the chairman, then you hear gbosa gbosa gbosa

SaintBeehot:
you hear broken so
Jara in Hausa= addition
Wrong Jara in Yoruba means extra, like you buy 5 fufu and the seller gave you extra one

2 Likes

Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by HomerTimpson: 7:09pm On Jul 30, 2020
SaintBeehot:
you hear broken so
Jara in Hausa= addition
which yoruba is jara= please ?
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by Iamgrey5(m): 7:14pm On Jul 30, 2020
IamWonderful:
You tried but with this one you are wrong, gbosa means kudos or bravo, like 3 gbosa for the chairman, then you hear gbosa gbosa gbosa

Wrong Jara in Yoruba means extra, like you buy 5 fufu and the seller gave you extra one
Jara is an Hausa word borrowed by Yorubas just like English borrowed some Latin words

3 Likes

Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by Ausmos: 7:17pm On Jul 30, 2020
Shebi? Yoruba word

Abi? Yoruba

Haba! Hausa

KO Hausa
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by IamWonderful: 7:45pm On Jul 30, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Jara is an Hausa word borrowed by Yorubas just like English borrowed some Latin words
Bros did I dispute that, was there anywhere I stated the origin of the word?
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by macjireh: 8:36pm On Jul 30, 2020
IamWonderful:

u also got gbosa very wrong...Gbosa is simply an exclamation for d sound produced wen an heavy object falls or wen 2 objects collide or wen two surfaces collide or wen a gun is shot...Guns are shot to give kudos or to hail people,, but wen u can't use a gun,,u use ur mouth to make d sound
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by SaintBeehot(m): 11:31pm On Jul 30, 2020
IamWonderful:

jara is an hausa word, jare mean please in Yoruba language op was wrong.
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by SaintBeehot(m): 11:33pm On Jul 30, 2020
HomerTimpson:
which yoruba is jara= please ?
op mistake jare for jara.
Jare mean please in Yoruba language as op aforementioned.
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by edoairways: 12:26am On Jul 31, 2020
prof2007 Aproko, Kasala,
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by edoairways: 12:37am On Jul 31, 2020
macjireh:

u also got gbosa very wrong...Gbosa is simply an exclamation for d sound produced wen an heavy object falls or wen 2 objects collide or wen two surfaces collide or wen a gun is shot...Guns are shot to give kudos or to hail people,, but wen u can't use a gun,,u use ur mouth to make d sound
When words are spelled the same and sound the same but have different meanings, then they are called homonyms. For example the word "fair" has a few meanings when used as different parts of speech. When used as an adjective, it can describe someone as agreeable, but it can also describe someone who has light skin or hair. Gbosa can mean to applaud a person, it could also mean exclamation when two object collided.
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by mumumugu(m): 2:45am On Jul 31, 2020
cro cro
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by prof2007: 5:10am On Jul 31, 2020
Updated...

12. SHAYO
Refers to alcoholic drinks e.g. "Make we go shayo" means “Let’s go grab a drink”.

13. ABEG
Means please e.g. "abeg make I pass" means "please make way".

14. BAFF UP
Means to dress nicely.

15. YAWA
Implies trouble or problem e.g. "Yawa done cast" means "there is problem".

16. SHAKARA
Means to pose or to show off e.g. "she dey do shakara" means she is posing.

17. APROKO
Someone who interferes in other people's affairs.

18. ABOKI
Being foolish or ignorant about things.

19. AGBERO
A street urchin, tout or anyone characterised by waywardness.

20. KASALA
Means trouble, problem or any difficult situation e.g. "kasala don burst" means "there is a big problem".

21. AJEPAKO
Someone who wasn't born with a silver spoon or who had a very tough childhood; Opposite of "Ajebo".

22. BABA IJEBU
A betting shop or daily lottery.

23. ASHY
A wayward girl or woman.

24. AWOOF
Free stuff or something given as charity e.g. "awoof dey run belle" means "love of free things can get you into trouble".

25. ANYWHERE BELLE FACE
Someone without principles thus ready to do anything for material gain.
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by proudevil: 5:11am On Jul 31, 2020
Obo alata
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by ICHguy(m): 3:57pm On Aug 05, 2020
ekorian:

Hello good evening sir. I saw you sent me PM on my other account. But was banned for spamming that is why I am replying with my other account sir. You can click my whatsapp link via my signature for your unique and professional 3D logo design sir. Thanks
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by nairavsdollars(f): 3:59pm On Aug 05, 2020
Gbege
Kasala
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by engrsyer(m): 5:38pm On Aug 05, 2020
Kpo-fire is a Bille dialect of Ijaw people in Rivers State used in classifying modular refinery.
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by orisa37: 6:39pm On Aug 05, 2020
[quote author=illicit post=92273524]Yeba[/quote

Meaning?
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by orisa37: 6:39pm On Aug 05, 2020
LadyExcellency:
AROBA M

Meaning?
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by orisa37: 6:42pm On Aug 05, 2020
chatinent:
For yab, it's originally called yap.

Yap means Yes please.. It doesn't mean yab
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by orisa37: 6:47pm On Aug 05, 2020
Jara is HAUSA not YORUBA
Re: 11 Untranslatable Nigerian Slang Words We Need In English by orisa37: 6:52pm On Aug 05, 2020
Ogbologbo means JIGOLO

(1) (2) (Reply)

Security Source : How Gun Men Attempted To Take Over Government House IMO State / FG Takes Tompolo Seriously But Disdains Nnamdi Kanu - IPOB Supporters Lament / Breaking News!! Tinubu Fake Age Exposed !!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.