Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,798 members, 7,817,305 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:53 AM

Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! (9347 Views)

You Have 7 Days To Bring Out Buhari’s Certificate – Group Tells Defence Minister / US VP Biden Calls Jonathan, Says He's A Strong Example To Africa / Please Let"s Help Bring This Topic To The Notice Of All Nigerians!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by loma(m): 10:25pm On Feb 10, 2011
Friends,

My team, Libraries Across Africa is competing in the 2011 Dell Social Innovation Competition, and we need your votes to advance to the next round!

Libraries Across Africa (LAA) seeks  to empower individuals and communities across Africa by delivering digitally-enhanced multi-use library facilities throughout Africa. LAA envisions that libraries are not merely a repository for books, but they are also a catalyst for community development and empowerment. By providing cost effective infrastructure and information solutions, communities will be empowered to address their own unique economic, educational, social, technological, and business challenges.

Kindly vote for us today (and get your friends to vote too). Voting closes on Feb. 18, 2011

http://www.dellsocialinnovationcompetition.com/ideaView?id=08780000000Dcx4AAC

Your vote, along with the competition judges, determines the $50,000 grand prize winner of the 2011 Dell Social Innovation Competition.
The top 10 projects will automatically be made semifinalists and move to round two of the competition. In rounds two and three, top projects win Dell prizes.

Stay tuned and vote in each round of competition!  Please spread this to your networks
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by dayokanu(m): 6:23am On Feb 14, 2011
Hello Nairalanders,

This is a project we are working on to bring virtual libraries to like 5 countries in Africa.

The pilot might be for 2 countries which would later spread to the other 5.

If you have any questions you can post on this thread
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by Kilode1: 6:41am On Feb 14, 2011
Voted! Great concept. Very nice vimeo video.
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by loma(m): 7:17am On Feb 14, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RABMjgmI7A

The LAA idea is distinctive because it does not provide a packaged solution to problems it does not and cannot understand as intimately as affected communities. Rather, an LAA eLibrary provides the means for communities to create their own solutions. In essence, an LAA eLibrary is a ‘business in a box’ approach in that it allows individuals and communities to operate units and generate immediate economic benefit, while increasing the learning, educational, and social gathering capabilities of their communities.

Thanks for your votes!
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by ekubear1: 7:34am On Feb 14, 2011
Impressive! Great video.

Check out their site too:
http://librariesacrossafrica.org/index.html

I hope you guys win!
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by loma(m): 7:53am On Feb 14, 2011
Follow these steps to vote

Voting takes less than 2 min - just follow these instructions:

- Log on to http://www.dellsocialinnovationcompetition.com/ideaView?id=08780000000Dcx4AAC

- Click "Register Now" in the top right pane (this is in blue font below the login box).
- Choose a username and supply your email address. An email indicating your password will be sent to you as an email.

- Go back to the website and log in with your chosen username and the password mailed to you.

- On the top right corner of the website, search for ‘Agora" and click on Go.

- Just beside the title-Libraries Across Africa- Empowerment through Access, click Vote (a north pointing arrow).

- Click the big blue F at the top to post to your Facebook (if you wish)
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by loma(m): 2:43pm On Feb 14, 2011
Now in position 24 with over 3000 votes, help spread love today by voting to move us to top 10 to help bring digital libraries to Africa.
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by dayokanu(m): 4:54pm On Feb 14, 2011
Good job Loma
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by loma(m): 5:28pm On Feb 14, 2011
Schematic of an LAA-eLibrary showing the Anchor, Agora, and e-Hub.

Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by loma(m): 10:29pm On Feb 14, 2011
We just crossed the 4000 votes point. Kindly vote today to empower Africa!

http://www.dellsocialinnovationcompetition.com/ideaView?id=08780000000Dcx4AAC
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by Fiver: 12:39am On Feb 15, 2011
this should be on the front page and sticked on here
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by loma(m): 4:41am On Feb 15, 2011
We are now in top 20, but need to get to top 10 to move to the next round.

Vote for a digital Africa- http://www.dellsocialinnovationcompetition.com/ideaView?id=08780000000Dcx4AAC
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by loma(m): 8:53am On Feb 15, 2011
Now in top17 with 4780 votes.

Go to http://www.dellsocialinnovationcompetition.com/ideaView?id=08780000000Dcx4AAC and vote for LAA
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by lolanorth: 10:48am On Feb 15, 2011
Voted! #4800
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by Ibime(m): 12:40pm On Feb 15, 2011
Nice one guys. . . I go vote when I reach house. . .
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by LEVIUCHRIS(m): 12:49pm On Feb 15, 2011
Am casting my vote for a digital libraries in Africa especially in Nigeria (Abia State) in particular.
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by hackney(m): 2:20pm On Feb 15, 2011
Good idea.
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by JUO(m): 3:22pm On Feb 15, 2011
just voted
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by EzeUche2(m): 4:22pm On Feb 15, 2011
I support this motion! cool
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by Nobody: 4:24pm On Feb 15, 2011
hmmmm dayo, na this you dey do wey you no fit send me car (not with a "d" o) for valentine?

no wahala, I support!  cheesy
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by dayokanu(m): 4:58pm On Feb 15, 2011
We are looking at 5 countries first Nigeria, Ghana, South Africa, Kenya and Zambia

We have significant interest from Google, Xerox and Cisco to become technical partners

We also have an agreement with Rice University to provide access to all their online resources.

We met with some initial resistance from some people regarding locating in Nigeria One of the guys on the team(Who had previously worked in Nigeria) preferred other African countries but we told them they cant do anything meaningful when the biggest African country is out of it.

Further presentation to be done later in the year at MIT if we proceed to the final stages

Ileke-IdI:

hmmmm dayo, na this you dey do wey you no fit send me car (not with a "d" o) for valentine?
no wahala, I support!  cheesy

I fit send you CARrot aka Lollipop
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by loma(m): 5:34pm On Feb 15, 2011
Guys, thanks for the support. You can vote multiple times using different email addresses.[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

We aim to provide the follwing;

Free/Subsidized broadband access in the e-hub and within the LAA Zone positioning the library as a social, educational and economic hub

Low cost access to expensive subscription-based academic journals, software, and other content

On-demand printing technology delivers both up to date electronic resources as well as physical collections relevant to the needs of local LAA communities
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by loma(m): 5:37pm On Feb 15, 2011
@Ileke-Idi; now is the time to show your true love for Dayokanu- vote and get your friends and family to vote too!

@EzeUche- kindly support it by voting sir.
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by mrperfect(m): 5:49pm On Feb 15, 2011
Trying to get familiar with the idea.
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by loma(m): 6:01pm On Feb 15, 2011
@mrperfect- I am here to answer your questions
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by Kilode1: 6:08pm On Feb 15, 2011
dayokanu:

We are looking at 5 countries first Nigeria, Ghana, South Africa, Kenya and Zambia

We have significant interest from Google, Xerox and Cisco to become technical partners

We also have an agreement with Rice University to provide access to all their online resources.

Great job!

We met with some initial resistance from some people regarding locating in Nigeria The other Carribean guy involved(Who had previously worked in Nigeria) preferred other African countries but we told them they cant do anything meaningful when the biggest African country is out of it.

Na wa o. It seems the closer they are to Nigeria the lesser they like us undecided  Anyway, they shouldn't be afraid, we will surmount our problems and take a position befitting the largest Black population on earth. cool It's only a matter of time.

We need to educate more of our people first.

Further presentation to be done later in the year at MIT if we proceed to the final stages

Great! The MIT open courseware is a great resource. I can't wait to see the impact of this initiative in the lives of young Nigerians, especially those living outside urban areas.

Ioma, DK, please continue to push hard for the inclusion of local knowledge. Our people know so little about themselves, their environment, history, culture and local sciences. I'm personally learning more about us outside formal Nigerian Education.

NL lurkers, make una vote too o! from a socio-political standpoint(since this is in the politics section) It is harder for corrupt politicians to swindle young Nigerians armed with good knowledge and information.
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by loma(m): 6:13pm On Feb 15, 2011
@Kilode; Local content is key, and one of the highlights of this project. People will be encouraged to create  and upload their own content (see Google Baraza with whom we plan to open discussions-http://www.google.com/baraza/en/thread?tid=3084c339e2379cf8), and the only printed books you will find in the library will be the ones that that community finds relevant, even if its not in English.

A further distinction of the LAA approach is that it allows communities to create their own libraries around what is important to them, as against being merely the recipients of discarded and donated American books. With the on-demand printing facility, people can print media that is in their own language, including original works and translations.  They can generate content for smaller libraries in neighbouring communities, while inexpensive, up-to-date textbooks can be printed for school children
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by loma(m): 6:17pm On Feb 15, 2011
Remember, if you have multiple email addresses, you can vote multiple times
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by Kilode1: 6:32pm On Feb 15, 2011
loma:

@Kilode; Local content is key, and one of the highlights of this project. People will be encouraged to create and upload their own content (see Google Baraza with whom we plan to open discussions-http://www.google.com/baraza/en/thread?tid=3084c339e2379cf8), and the only printed books you will find in the library will be the ones that that community finds relevant, even if its not in English.

A further distinction of the LAA approach is that it allows communities to create their own libraries around what is important to them, as against being merely the recipients of discarded and donated American books. With the on-demand printing facility, people can print media that is in their own language, including original works and translations. They can generate content for smaller libraries in neighbouring communities, while inexpensive, up-to-date textbooks can be printed for school children

This is just amazing stuff. I believe our institutions work better when communities take part ownership, like they did with education in the first republic regions, housing local schools, teachers and taking part ownership of the education process with central but not too intrusive administration.

the only printed books you will find in the library will be the ones that that community finds relevant, even if its not in English.

I like the point about language.

Now, will folks be able to take materials home for private use? including printed ones?

Or will all materials have to be used/consumed within the project space?

Will private commercial partners be allowed to advertise within the library space? if yes, what will their limits be?
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by loma(m): 6:36pm On Feb 15, 2011
On the issue of printed items- if its printed by the librarian, they will have to work out lending mechanisms(understanding the nature of their people), but customers can also print books that they want- so suddenly, through partnerships with big publishers, you can get the latest version of the Physics 205 textbook, and not have to stay in line for the only copy available at the OAU reference library ( Great Ife!)

On advertising, this is our take-Socially Responsible Advertising: LAA will leverage its unique location in community and educational institution centers to provide ‘top of mind’ advertising services to socially responsible products and vendors.
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by cold(m): 6:39pm On Feb 15, 2011
I'm always wary about registering my e mail(s) on all these voting sites reason being that subsequently they begin to bombard you with junk mails & fill your inbox.Just my thoughts
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by kwamejobur: 6:42pm On Feb 15, 2011
I have done it last year and this year and they send NO SPAM. Dell deletes all emails after voting.

But anyway, I am from Ghana and live in South Africa and have lived in Lagos and do not think you guys will get it done. I think the libararies should come to South Africa and Ghana first and I have emailed the company to say as much. I think because more votes will come from here in SA, they will of course bring the first ones here.

Kwame

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

. / Taraba Assembly passes bill against open grazing / Uzoka-Anite Addresses Questions About Presidential Grant Scheme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.