Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,032 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring (38289 Views)

UBA Publishes Details Of Forex Defaulters / Shoprite Ilorin Locks Doors As Crowd Stormed Their Store / Shoprite Ilorin Shut Down After Massive Crowd Stormed Their Store (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by AnonPoet: 8:09pm On Aug 03, 2020
Shoprite Not Leaving Nigeria- Insider Shares The Details Of The Corporate Restructuring

Shoprite, Africa’s largest food retailer, announced on Monday it is considering selling off its majority share in its Nigerian subsidiary.

In a trading update filed at the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE), the retail giant said it has begun the formal process of liquidating its majority share.

“Following approaches from various potential investors, and in line with our re-evaluation of the group’s operating model in Nigeria, the board has decided to initiate a formal process to consider the potential sale of all, or a majority stake, in Retail Supermarkets Nigeria Limited, a subsidiary of Shoprite International Limited. As such, Retail Supermarkets Nigeria Limited may be classified as a discontinued operation when Shoprite reports its results for the year,’’ it said.

TheCable understands there is a corporate tussle among three entities to bite into the larger stake of the retailer.

Persianas Nigeria Limited, a property development company, owned by Tayo Amusan, is said to be the preferred bidder for the Shoprite stake.

Amusan is a businessman invested in property development. Some of his properties house the stores of Shoprite.

Amusan founded Persianas in 1990. In 2004, he launched, The Palms. Owing to the success of The Palms in Lagos, he floated three additional malls in Enugu, Kwara, Ota and Ibadan.

Amusan sits on the board of several Nigerian companies, including African Paints Nigeria Limited, and he is also the chairman of Resourcery Limited.

The two other contenders are said to be another property development company but with links to a foreign country, and a South African company backed by South Africa’s pension fund. Though Amusan is mooted to be the favoured investor, the other bidders are pushing negotiations hard.

TheCable understands the deal will involve Shoprite retaining the management of its chain of operations, brand name, trademarks, and supply chain.

In an internal memo of July 31 seen by TheCable, Carl Erickson, general manager of the retailer, informed employees that the revision in the business is to make the company ‘’truly Nigerian’’.

The memo read: “The expansion of the retail business in Nigeria to a greater consumer market should remain everybody’s shared vision. It has, however, become apparent that the best manner in which to do this is by engaging Nigerian investors who share in this vision. In so doing we will be creating a truly Nigerian business run and owned by Nigerians for the Nigerian market.”

Shoprite posted a sharp decline in sales of 6.3 percent in the 2020 fiscal year.

The retailer launched in Nigeria nearly 15 years ago, opening its first store in Lagos in December 2005.

That chain has grown from one to more than 25 retail stores across Nigeria — including some of the biggest retail stores in west Africa.

https://www.thecable.ng/exclusive-here-is-the-nigerian-who-will-buy-shoprites-stake

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by janedonez(m): 8:22pm On Aug 03, 2020
Many strange tales coming out

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by tillaman(m): 8:23pm On Aug 03, 2020
Na who talk say make I drink this night ehn, the article just dey double for my eye make person send the summary to my mail and to the guy above me Na the booze make you take my spot!!

8 Likes

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by engela7(m): 8:23pm On Aug 03, 2020
How does this alleviate the sufferings of the common man on the street?

3 Likes

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by Buddy0: 8:23pm On Aug 03, 2020
How does this affect common man.
Like if you had never been to this shoprite

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by Tab4kids(f): 8:24pm On Aug 03, 2020
Hmm
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by EmmyKrim(m): 8:24pm On Aug 03, 2020
this is serious
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by ProfAmaben(m): 8:24pm On Aug 03, 2020
ShopRite shouldn't go anywhere. If you give Nigerians this business opportunity, they would wanna become billionaires overnight. Truth be told, ShopRite is cheaper than our so-called market where you have to bargain for hours to buy commodities at inflated prices.

Let's use the present Rice scenario in Nigeria, when we were importing high quality stone free rice, we bought mudu at 600 despite being imported and of high quality. Fast forward today, mudu is 800 with all the stones minus the importation and custom duty. My question is, how can one produce something and it's more expensive than when you were importing?

Why this long epistle? Nigerians are opportunists that love taking advantage of situations at the detriment of their countryman. We see wickedness as being smart, fuel adds a naira and transportation price is hiked. ShopRite, kindly stay, same with DStv.

141 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by fotadmowmend(m): 8:24pm On Aug 03, 2020
I will buy

1 Like

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by Nicklaus619(m): 8:24pm On Aug 03, 2020
shocked
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by TalkTalkTwins(m): 8:24pm On Aug 03, 2020
ok
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by Anticqz: 8:24pm On Aug 03, 2020
that's cool...
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by Slawormir: 8:24pm On Aug 03, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr..
Isoright

Philipxxxx0:
That one is their problem, I only pity people that will loss their jobs.

That is why in life you prepare for the worse and hope for the best

And as a real niggarrr.... don't always be positive in your reasoning..also be negative in your thinking...but don't allow the negativity of your thinking outweigh its positivity

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by princechiemekam(m): 8:25pm On Aug 03, 2020
There is serious problem in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by symbianDON(m): 8:25pm On Aug 03, 2020
great. anyhow, shoprite is here to stay.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by Kendumazy(m): 8:26pm On Aug 03, 2020
Better.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by Salewa95: 8:27pm On Aug 03, 2020
Nb
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by LegendHero(m): 8:27pm On Aug 03, 2020
They should make sure the Nigerian bidder win it. It will be better for Shoprite.

Tayo Amusan Persianas group are big players. They own:
—Palms Lagos
—Palms Lekki
—Palms Polo Park, Enugu
—Palms Ibadan
—Palms Ilorin

So they should have the bandwidth to manage Shoprite if need be.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by Philipxxxx0: 8:28pm On Aug 03, 2020
That one is their problem, I only pity people that will loss their jobs.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by sylve11: 8:28pm On Aug 03, 2020
AnonPoet:
Shoprite Not Leaving Nigeria- Insider Shares The Details Of The Corporate Restructuring

TheCable understands the deal will involve Shoprite retaining the management of its chain of operations, brand name, trademarks, and supply chain.

https://www.thecable.ng/exclusive-here-is-the-nigerian-who-will-buy-shoprites-stake

The end of shoprite in Nigeria is come...
That's how we lost Mr. Biggs. Last two years, While I was in Lagos, I went to one restaurant that has Mr. Biggs on its sign board, thinking it's Mr. Biggs. Na franchise stuff. Well, I was hungry so I waggled my way in. I requested for friedrice, they gave me popo garri rice and when I requested for chicken, I was served native fowl with hard bones. The cutlery were nothing to write about. The fork was so bent as if it's what they depicts on postal as the devil's fork. The knife so blunt that you'd need to apply extra force with your muscles aching to tear before you could get a pound of flesh. I got up without saying a word. Pay them their money and ran away.
embarassed cool

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by Houseofglam7(f): 8:28pm On Aug 03, 2020
undecided
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by Openbusiness4: 8:28pm On Aug 03, 2020
Buy it and buy problem. Dem no dey tell person grin

5 Likes

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by dFroshie(m): 8:28pm On Aug 03, 2020
Thought some folks do say Tinubu owns the company grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by SweetCunt97(f): 8:29pm On Aug 03, 2020
Hand over the retail business to Nigerian and watch everything nosedive infact watch them rob people blind with exorbitant prices.

There's no shopping right in shoprite these days... Their shitss are expensive and way above market price.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by Kingray10: 8:29pm On Aug 03, 2020
I hate Nigeria bloggers, they will never get info from the right source before they post their rubbish to generate traffic.

9 Likes

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by ayenale1(m): 8:29pm On Aug 03, 2020
This guy is from Ogun state, nice move.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by xreal: 8:30pm On Aug 03, 2020
The underlying fact from all these different stories is that South Africa is handing over Shoprite stores in Nigeria to Nigerians.

6 Likes

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by BluntNigerian: 8:31pm On Aug 03, 2020
Later Comment Things
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by bigpicture001: 8:32pm On Aug 03, 2020
I.believe this story..

5 Likes

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by mrsage(m): 8:34pm On Aug 03, 2020
Okay...
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by Onyenna(m): 8:36pm On Aug 03, 2020
Okay

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister / ​​A Loan App Is Threatening Me! Help! / From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.