Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,212 members, 7,846,022 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 09:30 AM

Agbakoba, Quakers Differ On China Loan ‘Sovereignty Clause’ - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Agbakoba, Quakers Differ On China Loan ‘Sovereignty Clause’ (13809 Views)

Rivers APC, Wike’s Loyalists Differ On Governor’s Overtures To Tinubu / China Loan: Amaechi Says "No Need To Panic, Nigeria Is Already Paying Back" / Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Agbakoba, Quakers Differ On China Loan ‘Sovereignty Clause’ by RealEzee(m): 11:07am On Aug 06, 2020
Geeoriginal:
The real deal is the fact that China got to choose which asset they will take over if Nigeria default. It is wrong for a sovereign country to give unilateral collateral of all her asset to secure a paltry loan. If I need a bank loan, I can say, my collateral is my house in Wuse Abuja, if I default, the bank can only take over the Abuja house and will not touch the one in Lagos or Kaduna neither will they be able to touch my car or any of my companies. Nobody tells a bank to pick whatever the bank want in case of a loan default.
Let Nigeria be wise, this politicians are not our friends. Unfortunately, China will still bring the Engineers, technician even drivers for the projects.
We shall overcome one day.
CAVEAT: I no get house for those places mentioned o, na hypothetical analogy. grin
. grin Nooo I no gree ooo u must get in Hong Kong too oo
Re: Agbakoba, Quakers Differ On China Loan ‘Sovereignty Clause’ by dustydee: 11:08am On Aug 06, 2020
King44:
and you think they would go for something like that.

Those people are not dumb like Nigerian politicians, those Chinkos would rather go for something that might be overlooked by us now but in the long run it would hold us by our balls.

They would think and analyse before picking, unlike Nigeria politicians that doesn't think.
I was responding to someone that suggested they will take over NNPC or our oil wells.
Re: Agbakoba, Quakers Differ On China Loan ‘Sovereignty Clause’ by RealEzee(m): 11:10am On Aug 06, 2020
SmartyPants:

It has to still go through an international arbitration panel so yes they can choose to want this or that, but no they don't have a blank cheque.
well let's see how things go, tho I'm not really comfortable with it Sha, hmm person no dey trust our leaders at all grin
Re: Agbakoba, Quakers Differ On China Loan ‘Sovereignty Clause’ by RealEzee(m): 11:13am On Aug 06, 2020
dustydee:

Let's assume they choose a gold mine in Zamfara (The value of the deposit has to be commensurate with the loan, which makes it unlikely that they can take over the mine because the mine will be worth more). The FG can enact a law that mandates foreign mining companies to pay a say 90% tax on all the value of gold mined.
True Talk, hmm well like u said let's assume, but 90% tax? Hmm, well Sha it's assume we're assuming.

what if the same govt use it to divert the earnings by under estimating nko, hmm Naija govt no dey ever dey straight forward, just saying sha grin.
Re: Agbakoba, Quakers Differ On China Loan ‘Sovereignty Clause’ by dustydee: 11:19am On Aug 06, 2020
RealEzee:
True Talk, hmm well like u said let's assume, but 90% tax? Hmm, well Sha it's assume we're assuming.

what if the same govt use it to divert the earnings by under estimating nko, hmm Naija govt no dey ever dey straight forward, just saying sha grin.
I know a lot of us do not trust our government, but Nigeria has some of the best and intellectual minds in the world. If we want to truely do something well, we are very capable of doing it. Some of our leaders may be corrupt but corruption has it's limits and I do not see any leader who will be bold enough to sell the country although this government seems to be edging close to that.
I am surprised no one is talking about the recent deal to get $1.5B in advance from Vitol and another company in exchange for 30k barrels of oil per day for 5 years. That is a deal that I do not think favours the country. It comes to about $27 per barrel which looks like a very bad deal
Re: Agbakoba, Quakers Differ On China Loan ‘Sovereignty Clause’ by RealEzee(m): 11:26am On Aug 06, 2020
dustydee:

I know a lot of us do not trust our government, but Nigeria has some of the best and intellectual minds in the world. If we want to truely do something well, we are very capable of doing it. Some of our leaders may be corrupt but corruption has it's limits and I do not see any leader who will be bold enough to sell the country although this government seems to be edging close to that.
I am surprised no one is talking about the recent deal to get $1.5B in advance from Vitol and another company in exchange for 30k barrels of oil per day for 5 years. That is a deal that I do not think favours the country. It comes to about $27 per barrel which looks like a very bad deal
hmm I'm not aware of the Vitol deal honesty, you know the greatness of this country is based on individual achievements all round, the govt is nothing to write home about,well Sha let's see things goes, las las we go all dey aiit.

1 Like

Re: Agbakoba, Quakers Differ On China Loan ‘Sovereignty Clause’ by Bluntemperor: 11:30am On Aug 06, 2020
Esseite:

This is the major problem here... they could pick your NNPC, oil wells, mining sites etc.. it's at their discretion with no holds barred.

Interest and loan recovery could run for years along as they keep declaring loss..

And there is a Minister who knows nothing in Mandarin Language,then give up or assumed that the contract is good for Nigeria like that.Too bad!
Re: Agbakoba, Quakers Differ On China Loan ‘Sovereignty Clause’ by meccuno: 11:43am On Aug 06, 2020
post=92510555:
.......Lion of Ubima.
Re: Agbakoba, Quakers Differ On China Loan ‘Sovereignty Clause’ by Scout60(m): 12:11pm On Aug 06, 2020
dustydee:
In Nigeria, you can cause any controversy because majority of the people do not read and only go by the headline. Nigeria is a sovereign state and the waiver in the contract was only to guarantee that the debtor will get paid, which is normal. For those talking about oil wells and mining sites being taken over, that will be foolish on the Chinese part because the Nigerian government can render those assets useless if they are taken over by simply passing laws (Tax, operational etc.) that will inhibit them from getting full value from those assets. The Chinese are more likely to go after assets outside the country if we default.

China will seize an assest. The assets they picked will become theirs till you pay back in full even if it takes them 100 years. Also by immunity, you will always implement policy that will favour them or you go to international court
Re: Agbakoba, Quakers Differ On China Loan ‘Sovereignty Clause’ by integrity16(m): 1:52pm On Aug 06, 2020
He said the contract appeared to give China discretion to pick which Nigerian asset to “hold on to for the purpose of liquidating the debt…

I agree with the bolded. I believe it is corruption that would make someone sign this kind of agreement on behalf of Nigeria. God help us in this country.
Re: Agbakoba, Quakers Differ On China Loan ‘Sovereignty Clause’ by Saintp(m): 1:52pm On Aug 06, 2020
dustydee:

Let's assume they choose a gold mine in Zamfara (The value of the deposit has to be commensurate with the loan, which makes it unlikely that they can take over the mine because the mine will be worth more). The FG can enact a law that mandates foreign mining companies to pay a say 90% tax on all the value of gold mined.

Remember you are dealing with China not one liberal democracies with some checks and balances. Whatever China wants China gets through tactical means. There is no court, civil society, opposition that can stop China communist party.
China wants more than those railways and that is why they crafted an agreement that enables them to grab any asset other than military and diplomatic assets.
Make no mistake, China is a rugged as Nigeria in a cunning way, the difference is they are intelligent and strategic.
Of what use is the loan sef? The majority of the money is still going back to China. They used their contractors, raw materials and manpower and yet we are owning them. It could have made sense if we collected the money and used Nigerian contractors, raw materials and manpower to do the job. It could have helped the economy.
When you are doing something with someone where you don't have any leverage, you have to be careful. Right now, Nigeria does not have any leverage against China so they are at the mercy of China.
Re: Agbakoba, Quakers Differ On China Loan ‘Sovereignty Clause’ by dustydee: 2:00pm On Aug 06, 2020
Saintp:

Remember you are dealing with China not one liberal democracies with some checks and balances. Whatever China wants China gets through tactical means. There is no court, civil society, opposition that can stop China communist party.
China wants more than those railways and that is why they crafted an agreement that enables them to grab any asset other than military and diplomatic assets.
Make no mistake, China is a rugged as Nigeria in a cunning way, the difference is they are intelligent and strategic.
Of what use is the loan sef? The majority of the money is still going back to China. They used their contractors, raw materials and manpower and yet we are owning them. It could have made sense if we collected the money and used Nigerian contractors, raw materials and manpower to do the job. It could have helped the economy.
When you are doing something with someone where you don't have any leverage, you have to be careful. Right now, Nigeria does not have any leverage against China so they are at the mercy of China.
That is what our leaders have failed to see and have allowed. Of what use is it developing infrastructure when there will be no employment for our people and little or no skills transfer. That's why I prefer the loans to have been taken from other countries like Japan, Germany, South Korea etc. even at a higher interest rate. The only good thing is that the Nigerian Government does not get the cash but who's to know that the contracts are not inflated?
Re: Agbakoba, Quakers Differ On China Loan ‘Sovereignty Clause’ by Nobody: 2:11pm On Aug 06, 2020
Absolutely correct. Agbakoba just blowing hot air. When the chinese are at liberty to take anything they want is that not the heart of the matter that everyone is objecting to

Esseite:

This is the major problem here... they could pick your NNPC, oil wells, mining sites,
Nigerian port etc.. it's at their discretion with no holds barred.

Interest and loan recovery could run for years as along as they keep declaring loss and your Naira keeps loosing value.
Re: Agbakoba, Quakers Differ On China Loan ‘Sovereignty Clause’ by Inukwa: 4:40pm On Aug 06, 2020
Nigerian government is too naive and dull to understand that they it is losing it's sovereignty to chinese government it is desperate to conquer nations economically.
Re: Agbakoba, Quakers Differ On China Loan ‘Sovereignty Clause’ by Sunnyja: 6:10pm On Aug 06, 2020
dustydee:
In Nigeria, you can cause any controversy because majority of the people do not read and only go by the headline. Nigeria is a sovereign state and the waiver in the contract was only to guarantee that the debtor will get paid, which is normal. For those talking about oil wells and mining sites being taken over, that will be foolish on the Chinese part because the Nigerian government can render those assets useless if they are taken over by simply passing laws (Tax, operational etc.) that will inhibit them from getting full value from those assets. The Chinese are more likely to go after assets outside the country if we default.
How can Nigeria render assets useless after waving off their sovereignty?!
Re: Agbakoba, Quakers Differ On China Loan ‘Sovereignty Clause’ by InvertedHammer: 10:26pm On Aug 06, 2020
Amotolongbo:

https://thenationonlineng.net/agbakoba-quakers-differ-on-china-loan-sovereignty-clause/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
/
Sometimes one cannot help but stand back in awe and listen to the stupidity of the so-called educated elites in Nigeria. Anyone who has ever lived in developed nations understands the concept of "fine prints". That is the part of contract that has the clause to trap a debtor/partner if not combed thoroughly. Nigeria should take a cue from Chinese incursion into African countries. The case may be decided in the International court and none of these lawyers will be there when the clause will be interpreted. Stop borrowing! Nigeria should be the ones giving loans but the
resources they have are not being utilized. Who are the miners in Nigeria? The Chinese and other expatriates. Where are the Nigerian companies? Everyone is running to Abuja to loot. Every businessman's goal is to enter politics to enjoy free flow of cash. Right in our very presence, China is taking over Africa. How long will it take before Africa takes care of herself? Francophone countries cannot print their currency. All the money the politicians and co-conspirators are looting are more than enough to fund these projects. Unlike in many countries, the Nigerian youths stand aloof. They prefer BBN.

How comfortable will anyone be to have China running transport and Agricultural sectors in Nigeria till the debt is fully paid? China do not ever sell. They send in their management team and that's how they took over other African countries and the Carribeans. It is a Trojan horse effect.
Agbakoba is a poor student of history. At $79b, Nigerian debt profile with China is about 200% of her external reserve. With oil price gyration in the market, Nigeria may not be able to payback the loan. Developed nations make plans beyond centuries but Nigeria and other African countries have plans not exceeding a Presidential term.

/
Re: Agbakoba, Quakers Differ On China Loan ‘Sovereignty Clause’ by africandollar: 11:00pm On Aug 06, 2020
Goats that keep asking farmers to provide them yams were never planning to use the yams as seed. tongue
Re: Agbakoba, Quakers Differ On China Loan ‘Sovereignty Clause’ by chigo003(m): 7:53am On Aug 07, 2020
Just choose your Chinese name...mine is Chinhua Quang

1 Like

Re: Agbakoba, Quakers Differ On China Loan ‘Sovereignty Clause’ by Benbellamor: 10:21am On Aug 07, 2020
Esseite:

This is the major problem here... they could pick your NNPC, oil wells, mining sites,
Nigerian port etc.. it's at their discretion with no holds barred.

Interest and loan recovery could run for years as along as they keep declaring loss and your Naira keeps loosing value.

Imagine Agbakoba trying to argue that there is no cause for alarm
Only to be schooled on the implications by a junior Lawyers here Quackers until he admits an obvious Error in the signed agreement
Lately I realize that our senior lawyers lncluding Femi falana have All been Making money from supporting this administration, most activists sits on the fence
Saying the Obvious truth is Now a crime
They do not want to br seen as Fighting the government

The youth' should wake up and take up the country
I salute the other lawyer here that schooled An Almighty Olisa Agbakoba who is now reduced to chop I chop sitting on the fence Lawyer
Gani fawehinmi where art thou?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

June 12: How Police Averted Protest Hijack By Hoodlums - Hakeem Odumosu / Oyo LG Elections: APC Candidates Win 610 Wards, Clear 33 Lgas, 35 Lcdas / Princess Adejoke Orelope-Adefulire: Championing Nigeria's SDG Achievements

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.