Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,617 members, 7,813,030 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:03 AM

OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? (3748 Views)

Pharmacy Vs Medical Lab Science / Kendra Jumbo: First Class ABSU Med. Lab. Science Best Graduating Student (Photos / What's The Difference Between Med Lab Science And Med Lab Tech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Aug 09, 2020
Hello esteemed nairalanders . I'm stucked in confusion regarding these two courses OPTOMETRY and MEDICAL LAB SCIENCE. Which do you deem better and more income-fetching? Thanks in addy.
Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Aug 09, 2020
Go for Optometry

2 Likes

Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Aug 09, 2020
Zzor:
Go for Optometry
Really? what's the reason behind your preference?
Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Stan2330(m): 6:22pm On Aug 09, 2020
Go for medicine�
Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Aug 09, 2020
Stan2330:
Go for medicine�
medicine is out of the equation.
Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by merieam16(f): 6:54pm On Aug 09, 2020
Go for medical lab science nd dont forget to ask God 4 directions

1 Like

Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Aug 09, 2020
Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Aug 09, 2020
merieam16:
Go for medical lab science nd forget to ask God 4 directions
Thanks ma'am. I surely won't forget.
I'd like to know the reason behind your preference pls.
Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Stan2330(m): 7:36pm On Aug 09, 2020
Alkhateeb:
medicine is out of the equation.
Then go for medlab...even though I'll prefer nursing
Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Aug 09, 2020
Stan2330:
Then go for medlab...even though I'll prefer nursing
Hmm... Thanks a ton.
Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Nicepoker(m): 8:02pm On Aug 09, 2020
You haven't started yet and your eyes are already viewing the income. This is the reason lots of folks fails to succeed. From your statement you do not even have passion for both.

2 Likes

Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Martins134: 8:03pm On Aug 09, 2020
Alkhateeb:
Hello esteemed nairalanders . I'm stucked in confusion regarding these two courses OPTOMETRY and MEDICAL LAB SCIENCE. Which do you deem better and more income-fetching? Thanks in addy.
Which one do you really want?

I don't know much about optometry and it's potentials in Nigeria but I'd advice you to go for a course that would enable you achieve your goals in life and most importantly take care of you and your family in future.

Please follow your heart. And remember to ask GOD for guidance.
Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Aug 09, 2020
Martins134:

Which one do you really want?

I don't know much about optometry and it's potentials in Nigeria but I'd advice you to go for a course that would enable you achieve your goals in life and most importantly take care of you and your family in future.

Please follow your heart. And remember to ask GOD for guidance.
Thanks a ton. I really appreciate.

1 Like

Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Aug 09, 2020
Alkhateeb:
Really? what's the reason behind your preference?
my reasons for optometry goes thus:They earn like doctors and have high tendencies of securing a job faster than a medical laboratory scientist and also you can easily set up yourself as an optometrist with the right license and be an employer of labour but it's capital intensive for a med lab and it takes you years to build some reputation in the med lab line.
Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 09, 2020
Nicepoker:
You haven't started yet and your eyes are already viewing the income. This is the reason lots of folks fails to succeed. From your statement you do not even have passion for both.
Actually, i knew from the outset that someone would come for me after reading the "income-fetching " part and it turned out to be you. The fact that i tagged it that way doesn't mean that i don't have passion for what i'm about to embark on or that I just want to dig the gold in the profession. I actually crave for both courses and besides don't you think other clandestine factors can make me talk that way? I'm aware of the great responsibilities i'm to shoulder in the nearest future.
Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Aug 09, 2020
Zzor:
my reasons for optometry goes thus:They earn like doctors and have high tendencies of securing a job faster than a medical laboratory scientist and also you can easily set up yourself as an optometrist with the right license and be an employer of labour but it's capital intensive for a med lab and it takes you years to build some reputation in the med lab line.
wow! thanks a ton. I really appreciate.
Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Aug 09, 2020
Alkhateeb:
wow! thanks a ton. I really appreciate.
you are welcomed,what of pharmacy don't you like it
Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Aug 09, 2020
Zzor:
you are welcomed,what of pharmacy don't you like it
yes i don't.
Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Narcist(f): 9:04pm On Aug 09, 2020
Alkhateeb:
yes i don't.
The right word is “No, I don’t! (Question tag). The courses above are quite lucrative. Like someone stated above, they literally earn like GPs. You stand a chance of being awarded a Doctor of Optometry degree, hence, you answer Doc.(for the prestige of it.) the only issue there is that Nigeria factor has limited optometrists as ophthalms Wield their influence over them. They now see them as refractionists. I learnt from a close friend albeit that refraction is the money spinner in eye care. Being factual with you, i’d rather you communicate with graduates in both field and ask them questions as regards both.

P:S. I am not in either field. I’m just giving a suggestion. There are lots of optometrists in the house. I hope they can help. Good luck in your career pursuit.
Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Aug 09, 2020
Narcist:
The right word is “No, I don’t! (Question tag). The courses above are quite lucrative. Like someone stated above, they literally earn like GPs. You stand a chance of being awarded a Doctor of Optometry degree, hence, you answer Doc.(for the prestige of it.) the only issue there is that Nigeria factor has limited optometrists as ophthalms Wield their influence over them. They now see them as refractionists. I learnt from a close friend albeit that refraction is the money spinner in eye care. Being factual with you, i’d rather you communicate with graduates in both field and ask them questions as regards both.

P:S. I am not in either field. I’m just giving a suggestion. There are lots of optometrists in the house. I hope they can help. Good luck in your career pursuit.
It's actually correct that way ma (yes I don't). The tag is in the negative form so your reply should be in the positive (check THE INVISIBLE TEACHER BY DELE ASHADE). Have a review of it ma. I want to be schooled if i'm wrong. "QUESTION: DON'T YOU LIKE PHARMACY? REPLY: YES I DON'T (meaning yes i do not like it)".
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate.
Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Narcist(f): 9:29pm On Aug 09, 2020
Alkhateeb:
It's actually correct that way sir (yes I don't). The tag is in the negative form so your reply should be in the positive (check THE INVISIBLE TEACHER BY DELE ASHADE). Have a review of it sir. I want to be schooled if i'm wrong. "QUESTION: DON'T YOU LIKE PHARMACY? REPLY: YES I DON'T (meaning yes i do not like it)".
it should be the other way round. Kindly do a recheck of same book! Your reply of YES shouldn’t be followed by don’t! Take for instance; Do you like pharmacy? Tag: Yes, I do!
Don’t you like pharmacy? No, I don’t. Kinda out of context saying Yes I DON’T. I hope more people contribute. Look up the invisible teacher again and get the right answer.

BTW, I am not a male specie sir.
Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Nobody: 9:42pm On Aug 09, 2020
Narcist:
it should be the other way round. Kindly do a recheck of same book! Your reply of YES shouldn’t be followed by don’t! Take for instance; Do you like pharmacy? Tag: Yes, I do!
Don’t you like pharmacy? No, I don’t. Kinda out of context saying Yes I DON’T. I hope more people contribute. Look up the invisible teacher again and get the right answer.

BTW, I am not a male specie sir.
Oh! am sorry for referring to you as a masculine. I'm yet to agree. What do you have to say on the rule "positive tag goes with a negative one and vice versa". I wish to hear from others too.
Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Narcist(f): 10:02pm On Aug 09, 2020
Alkhateeb:
Oh! am sorry for referring to you as a masculine. I'm yet to agree. What do you have to say on the rule "positive tag goes with a negative one and vice versa". I wish to hear from others too.
it’s been ages though but let me clear the air on this.
The rule up there applies when you have a statement as this;
David was in school yesterday(positive statement). Now the question tag will be in the negative form as in “Wasn’t he?. The rule above applies here. Hence; Positive statement is followed by a negative tag.

Now going by the actual statement.”Don’t you like pharmacy?(Notice this is a question already). You don’t answer with a question again. Now the reverse will be the case as answer tag. The appropriate word to use now will be “No, I don’t like pharmacy(Answer tag) it is logic as the rule is stating otherwise in the second statement. Take time and get my point or better still look up that textbook again and digest the rules on Question tag.

1 Like

Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Narcist(f): 10:06pm On Aug 09, 2020
Alkhateeb:
And you don’t start a sentence with “am” Sir. Simply use i’m(I am). These are mistakes advance learners make and unfortunately, they are costly! See you at the top sir.

2 Likes

Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Aug 09, 2020
Narcist:
it’s been ages though but let me clear the air on this.
The rule up there applies when you have a statement as this;
David was in school yesterday(positive statement). Now the question tag will be in the negative form as in “Wasn’t he?. The rule above applies here. Hence; Positive statement is followed by a negative tag.

Now going by the actual statement.”Don’t you like pharmacy?(Notice this is a question already). You don’t answer with a question again. Now the reverse will be the case as answer tag. The appropriate word to use now will be “No, I don’t like pharmacy(Answer tag) it is logic as the rule is stating otherwise in the second statement. Take time and get my point or better still look up that textbook again and digest the rules on Question tag.

lol. you're getting me convinced more and more it seems I've truly mixed things up. I agree with the explanation you made up there and I'll do a recheck like you suggested Thanks alot ma'am.
Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Aug 09, 2020
Narcist:
And you don’t start a sentence with “am” Sir. Simply use i’m(I am). These are mistakes advance learners make and unfortunately, they are costly! See you at the top sir.
. Thanks a lot . I noticed it not long ago.
Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by samuelpeters(m): 10:41pm On Aug 09, 2020
Narcist is correct.
Your answer Should be "No, I don't......"

Back to the topic,
Optometry and MLS are good.
Optometry, though I'm not familiar with it.
It Is a 6 years course that opens doors to lots of opportunities in the medical world.
You can work in Government/private Hospitals, Research institutes....
You could set up your clinic but you are restricted to only basic eye issues due to some health politics(ophthalmologist will not allow you). You can go into Lecturing.
You are awarded a Doctor of optometry doesn't mean you a Medical Doctor. As such, you won't receive same pay as Doctors or even recognition.

MLS is a 5yrs course. With fair pay too.
You could set up your Lab. One thing people don't know is that MLS is divided into 4 Aspects. So you could set up only two aspects and leave the other two if there isn't much capital.
You could go into Lecturing too, reagents sales, importation of IVDs, Equipment installation/ Engineering e.t.c.

Getting a job is up to you. I have never seen a jobless MLS neither have i seen a jobless optometrist.
Follow your Heart

2 Likes

Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by pegix(m): 12:53am On Aug 10, 2020
Nicepoker:
someone will say little thing u guys will be talking about silly passion
which fucking passion?
to hell with passion without money
study like mad for passion and end up nothing?
i understand the guy o

passion drives u, the money keep.u alive as a reward!

my opinion though....#

2 Likes

Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Eileene(f): 9:44am On Aug 10, 2020
Nicepoker:
Mr Motivational Speaker
Will passion put food on the table

1 Like

Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Nicepoker(m): 9:55am On Aug 10, 2020
Eileene:

Mr Motivational Speaker
Will passion put food on the table
I am not a motivational speaker. And if you think passion on something can't put food on your table. Then I am sorry for you. we are too rigid in this country stop thinking towards one direction.

1 Like

Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by samuelpeters(m): 10:32am On Aug 10, 2020
Nicepoker:
I am not a motivational speaker. And if you think passion on something can't put food on your table. Then I am sorry for you. we are too rigid in this country stop thinking towards one direction.
This is Nigeria bro.
Most times, Passion doesn't put Food on your table.
If your passion puts food on your table then you are Lucky.
If the country is okay most science students wouldn't opt to study Medicals because options would be too much to choose from.
My First passion was to become an Astronaut but look at me now. grin

1 Like

Re: OPTOMETRY Or Medical Lab Science, Which Should I Put In For? by Nobody: 12:52pm On Aug 10, 2020
samuelpeters:
Narcist is correct.
Your answer Should be "No, I don't......"

Back to the topic,
Optometry and MLS are good.
Optometry, though I'm not familiar with it.
It Is a 6 years course that opens doors to lots of opportunities in the medical world.
You can work in Government/private Hospitals, Research institutes....
You could set up your clinic but you are restricted to only basic eye issues due to some health politics(ophthalmologist will not allow you). You can go into Lecturing.
You are awarded a Doctor of optometry doesn't mean you a Medical Doctor. As such, you won't receive same pay as Doctors or even recognition.

MLS is a 5yrs course. With fair pay too.
You could set up your Lab. One thing people don't know is that MLS is divided into 4 Aspects. So you could set up only two aspects and leave the other two if there isn't much capital.
You could go into Lecturing too, reagents sales, importation of IVDs, Equipment installation/ Engineering e.t.c.

Getting a job is up to you. I have never seen a jobless MLS neither have i seen a jobless optometrist.
Follow your Heart
Thanks very much.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nasa’s $1 Billion Space Probe Sends Back Photos Of Flying Spaghetti Monster / Unified Entrance Exams For Universities,polytechnics,e.t.c / h

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.