Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,065 members, 7,810,967 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:43 PM

Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others (8149 Views)

Stop Saying "Up Nepa", This Is The Correct English To Use / Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead / Examination Misconduct: BUK Expels 63 Students, Rusticates 13 Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by rasheylaw(m): 7:37pm On Aug 09, 2020
Today I will be deliberating on some grammatical error in our spoken English, you will agree with me that English is not our mother’s tongue but since we are opportune to speak and write it I guess we should do it well.

Below are list of some grammatical we speak everyday, do good by practicing them and am assuring you, you will speak well.

1: Don’t say the food is peperish – The food is peppery.

2: Don’t say, She delivered a baby boy – She was delivered of a baby boy.

3: Don’t say Traveling bag – Travel bag

4: Don’t say he is matured – He is mature

5: Don’t say the reason is because – The reason is that.

6: Don’t say my stuffs – My stuff.

7: Don’t say night vigil – Vigil.

8: Don’t say I want to barb my hair – I want to cut my hair.

9: Don’t say Escape goat – A Scape goat.

10: Don’t say I will try my possible best – I will try my best possible.

11: Don’t say I was beaten by the rain – I was drenched.

12: Don’t say I have a shoe – I have a pair of shoe.

13: Don’t say you are taking it too personal – You are taking it personally.

Hello is a general way of greeting, even with or without, to be more polite and mature I will advised you greet the person like Good morning/evening or Good day , since we are used to the word Hello while not put it this way eg Hello Good morning/evening or Good day.

Most times we don’t apply courtesy and we kind of lack manners even if its our elders calling us, we just pick the call and say hello, without even greeting and is very wrong..

Ways to enhance our spoken English .
1: Read educative books like novels.

2: Always jot down new words and look for them in the dictionary later.

3: You can download dictionary in your smartphone for easy access or you can have it at home.

4: Learn how to position your verb in a sentence its very important.

5: Always practice what you have learnt, remember Practice make progress

39 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by irvene: 7:45pm On Aug 09, 2020
wonderful

2 Likes

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Nobody: 7:53pm On Aug 09, 2020
12. A pair of shoes.

12 Likes

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Dottore: 8:13pm On Aug 09, 2020
Nice to know but good English don't pay bills.
Why bother over wrong usage of Grammer when most academic scholars are either being governed or employed by illiterates.

My late uncle was a notable English Language lecturer but nothing to show for it.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Stephenomozzy(m): 8:15pm On Aug 09, 2020
He's at the Extreme End - He's at the extreme or he's at the end

Don't start a statement with "Am". Rather say I'm or I am...

BTW (capitals) is the short form for By The Way not Between.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by cjeriia: 8:16pm On Aug 09, 2020
Alakowe
2. She was delivered of a baby boy or she delivered a baby boy ni oooo

7 Likes

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by offset67(m): 8:22pm On Aug 09, 2020
Fantabulously fantabulous
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by PrincessB1(f): 8:25pm On Aug 09, 2020
Quite informative.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by SavageMaster: 8:31pm On Aug 09, 2020
rasheylaw:

Today I will be deliberating on some grammatical error in our spoken English, you will agree with me that English is not our mother’s tongue but since we are opportune to speak and write it I guess we should do it well.

Below are list of some grammatical we speak everyday, do good by practicing them and am assuring you, you will speak well.

2: Don’t say, She delivered a baby boy – She was delivered a baby boy.

Hello is a general way of greeting, even with or without, to be more polite and mature I will advised you greet the person like Good morning/evening or Good day , since we are used to the word Hello while not put it this way eg Hello Good morning/evening or Good day.

Most times we don’t apply courtesy and we kind of lack manners even if its our elders calling us, we just pick the call and say hello, without even greeting and is very wrong..

3: You can download dictionary in your smartphone for easy access or you can have it at home.

2: She was delivered of a baby boy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by uchrikk(m): 8:32pm On Aug 09, 2020
OP, go through your post and edit it.

3 Likes

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by FahBuLous: 9:01pm On Aug 09, 2020
10: Don’t say I will try my possible best – I will try my best
possible...
I read this in a post few months aqo and decided to try it...
Immediately I said "I will try my best possible" fews girls there started laughing, I had to school them and they were ashamed afterwards...

9 Likes

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Dottore: 9:02pm On Aug 09, 2020
Nice to know but good English don't pay bills.
Why bother over wrong usage of Grammer when most academic scholars are either being governed or employed by average level English users or even illiterates.

My late uncle was a notable English Language lecturer but nothing to show for it.
We should pay more attention to being able to have a basic knowledge of communicating in English and acquiring valuable skills, being the best in our respective hustles rather than perfecting our usage of white man's language.

Trump is not good in English language and spellings yet he's the no one citizen of the world.

Buhari isn't an English Scholar yet he's the president of the largest country in Africa.

Dangote, Adenuga, Innoson, Alakija and others too numerous to mention know nothing about correct use of English yet they are more influential than all the English scholars and lecturers combined.

Even Pastorpreneurs commit grammatical blunders yet English scholars clamour to gain their attention.
Even Odumeje with his battle with English is wining and dining with Governors.

So why bother myself with where to place "is" and "was"

Na wao

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Dupalmer: 9:09pm On Aug 09, 2020
Who Grammer help?

1 Like

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by rottable(m): 9:13pm On Aug 09, 2020
rasheylaw:

2[b]: Don’t say, She delivered a baby boy – She was delivered a baby boy.[/b][b][/b]

. Is number 2 correct? I am confused as regards
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by thesmallgod(m): 9:32pm On Aug 09, 2020
Where is grammarnazi

1 Like

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by paqman: 9:33pm On Aug 09, 2020
@ rasheylaw Have you ever encounter your school mate that can barely speak good english , but they are freaking in money . It not for he that work, nor for he that speak english, but for he that showeth mercy
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Karleb(m): 9:39pm On Aug 09, 2020
Most important lesson is to never correct a strangers blunder.

5 Likes

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by padi94(m): 9:44pm On Aug 09, 2020
Where is the hello part

1 Like

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Dekadet(m): 9:45pm On Aug 09, 2020
Well, I think the word "hello" is a form of greeting on its own.
You can say "hello Mrs Johnson" and Mrs Johnson might reply "oh hello there over sabi, how are you today?" Is that not greeting?

3 Likes

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by careytommy37(m): 9:47pm On Aug 09, 2020
Sharigan vai genjutsu. Gika no jikan. Supesu. wink
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Bimpe29: 9:47pm On Aug 09, 2020
There can be no correct English speaking era.

1 Like

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Silentgroper(m): 9:58pm On Aug 09, 2020
careytommy37:
Sharigan vai genjutsu. Gika no jikan. Supesu. wink
. Too much naruto.

kage bushin no jutsu

1 Like

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by astonished: 10:01pm On Aug 09, 2020
FahBuLous:
10: Don’t say I will try my possible best – I will try my best
possible...
I read this in a post few months aqo and decided to try it...
Immediately I said "I will try my best possible" fews girls there started laughing, I had to school them and they were ashamed afterwards...

It's better to use the common language known to everyone than try explain further of any sentence you made
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by astonished: 10:04pm On Aug 09, 2020
OP, if I have your phone number now and I dial your number, I am very sure it's "Hello" you say from your side.

But is this correct? Sallamaleku, by our Muslim brother, that's their own hello

2 Likes

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Nobody: 10:25pm On Aug 09, 2020
Nollywood Actors bastardized the English Language and are the primary source of widespread English Mistakes we hear from common folks today

Incorrect syntax
1: I must to marry Linda
2: Am Linda
3: What's all this
4: I am not understanding you

Statement Questions
1: You are here?
2: He is paying the bills?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by bossvinqualad25(m): 10:31pm On Aug 09, 2020
Op thanks for the enlightment,for the the cleaning of your school and also fumigation before full resumption,contact prolific giant cleaning services and if you are a site engineer to can reach out to me lets work together
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Nicepoker(m): 10:35pm On Aug 09, 2020
OP tell us exactly where you copied this from.
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by manuel4real(m): 10:37pm On Aug 09, 2020
Op what's the correct word instead of 'hello' you no talk am o
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by realestate99: 10:45pm On Aug 09, 2020
...black man is really at the base of world's social pyramid, I look forward to a day that a guy from Serbia would be dissecting the Yoruba language and be obsessed with spelling and pronunciation or a lady from France would be obsessed with Igbo language and be correcting her peers about semantics. I just pray blacks see light at the end of the tunnel, the day your language is taken from you is the day you are stripped naked.......no language is superior to the other

4 Likes

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by ymstar(m): 10:48pm On Aug 09, 2020
GrammatNazi1 da?
Where u dey o
Show up, ur attended is needed,
Sorry, ur attention is needed

1 Like

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by proffmykey(m): 11:31pm On Aug 09, 2020
Nice piece

1 Like

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Cudjoe360(m): 12:01am On Aug 10, 2020
Stephenomozzy:
He's at the Extreme End - He's at the extreme or he's at the end
Don't start a statement with "Am". Rather say I'm or I am...
BTW (capitals) is the short form for By The Way not Between.

funny but true

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ambrose Alli University Admission List Second Batch 2011/12 / Pictures Of Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gate & Rich People That Will Amaze You!! / Call Us 4 Your Neco, Jamb, DELSU, Post-ume Online Registration.Change of Course

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.