Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,065 members, 7,818,180 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:37 AM

Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death (40622 Views)

Google Celebrates Sam Okwaraji's Posthumous Birthday With Doodle (Photos) / In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr / Meet The Mother Of Sam Okwaraji: "FG Has Abandoned" (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by finnacle2020: 6:45am On Aug 12, 2020
Samuel Sochukwuma Okwaraji (19 May 1964 – 12 August 1989) was a professional footballer who played internationally for Nigeria.

He was also a qualified lawyer who had a masters in international law from the Pontifical Lateran University of Rome.

He collapsed and died of congestive heart failure in the 77th minute of a World Cup qualification match against Angola at the Lagos National Stadium in Surulere, Lagos State on 12 August 1989.

He is also linked with the controversial match between Nigeria and India which was claimed that he scored the only goal against the Indian side 99-1 which leads to his death on the pitch.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Okwaraji

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by paulolee(m): 6:55am On Aug 12, 2020
was an icon...i remembered that match like it was yesterday, the little me was with my uncle watching that match live in surulere and i gat the feeling that all wasnt well on the pitch because of the reactions of his team mates that came around and even the medics sad reactions and its normal to play down the incident till after the match..
continue to rest in peace a football legend on and off the pitch..
bt pls nairalanders help me address that India vs Nigeria match that ended 99-1, did that match really happened or was just a folklore??...
am asking because if its really a lie, that means its the 2nd heaviest scam ever in the history of Nigeria followed by the "CHANGE" we were all promised...

179 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by dangermouse(m): 7:01am On Aug 12, 2020
Rest on legend.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by Nobody: 7:15am On Aug 12, 2020
The labour of our heroes past are all in vain...

Rest Peacefully Football Barrister.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by Excellent111: 7:36am On Aug 12, 2020
Rest in peace

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by finnacle2020: 7:47am On Aug 12, 2020
Is there any stadium named after him

17 Likes

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by naptu2: 10:05am On Aug 12, 2020
naptu2:
My dad and others were at the stadium, but I watched the match on tv at home. I saw when Okwaraji collapsed, when one of the players (I've forgotten who) put his hands on his head in alarm and when Okwaraji was stretchered into the ambulance. I assumed that he was alive and expected to read updates on his condition in the papers the next day.

I also saw as some fans were being carried over the fence and stretchered to the athletics track where Red Cross officials were attending to them. The stadium was too full and it seems that the gates were opened during the second half and there was a scuffle between people who were trying to get into the arena and people who were trying to get out. Some people suffocated, while others were trampled.

But my uncle (who played for Nigeria in the '50s and '60s) showed up at the house after the match. "Where is ****" (my dad). "He's not back", I replied.

"They've killed this boy o!", my uncle exclaimed. I asked who and he replied that Okwaraji was dead. I didn't believe him. "But they put him in the ambulance", I replied. My uncle grew angry. "Which ambulance? Which ambulance? The boy was dead on the pitch. The ambulance was just for show, so that the crowd wouldn't panic".

I still refused to believe him, but I didn't argue, because I could see that he was upset. Instead, I went to my room and prayed, hoped and wished that Okwaraji was still alive. But unfortunately, it was reported on the NTA News that Okwaraji was dead. cry

Okwaraji's super goal

This is my favourite goal by Okwaraji. I searched YouTube for a video of this goal from 2008 till 2016 before I eventually found one. That's because most people on YouTube prefer to post videos of the final, which was also between Nigeria and Cameroon.

This is a group stage match at the 1988 Nations Cup (Maroc '88) between Nigeria and Cameroon. Okwaraji scored in the second minute via a rocket shot from outside the penalty box (this is the kind of shot that Ernest Okonkwo would describe as an "intercontinental ballistic missile). It was the fastest goal at the Nations Cup at that time. The player that dribbled down the right and passed to Okwaraji was Rashidi Yekini.

Roger Milla equalised in the 21st minute, via a bullet header that beat Peter Rufai and it ended

Nigeria 1-1 Cameroon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY9ZYHyTVwU

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by naptu2: 10:05am On Aug 12, 2020
naptu2:
Okwaraji's death was especially painful because of the nature of the man. At that time there was a dichotomy between the professional players and the home based players.

The professionals made a lot of demands before playing for the national teams. They often arrived camp and training sessions late (in flashy cars) and were always involved in one scandal or the other (eg Etim Esin).

Okwaraji was the opposite. He never caused any problems, often paid his own travel expenses, was always the first to get to camp and was never involved in any scandals. He was a devout christian and was studying for his law degree at an Italian university. He was actually playing in Italy (which most nigerians felt had the best league in the world at the time).

1) Samuel Okwaraji, Stephen Keshi, Peter Rufai and Coach Yusuf Salami during a Seoul '88 Olympic qualifier at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium in Enugu.

18 Likes 2 Shares

naptu2:

I did not write that he was studying for his law degree when he died.

That post was about why his death hurt me more than usual and that was because, unlike other professionals, he always came back to play for Nigeria

1) Even when the NFA did not pay for flight tickets

2) Even when he was studying for his law degree

3) He was always the first to show up in camp even when others showed up late

4) He never made demands or gave conditions before playing for Nigeria

5) He was simple and a devout Christian, even when other professionals were showing up with girls and flashy cars.

Read my post again

13 Likes

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by naptu2: 10:08am On Aug 12, 2020
naptu2:

Kollington Ayinla - Megastar Album (1989).

O Okwaraji! is the 5th track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8WgQtQPBeU

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by naptu2: 10:15am On Aug 12, 2020
naptu2:
I keep coming back to this game because. . .you might not understand what it is to watch this game without tension. This was a crazy match! My dad left. He couldn't take it anymore. He said, "Call me if they score" and went to his room. Yet he couldn't stay away from the game! He turned on the radio and was listening to commentaries on Radio Nigeria.

It was a crazy match. There were stars everywhere on the pitch! There was Lakhdar Belloumi, Samuel Okwaraji, Rashidi Yekini, Djamel Menad, Peter Rufai, etc. The crowd supported the Algerians because they were neighbours. Nigeria took the lead via an own goal in the 46th minute (Okwaraji forced the defender to put the ball in his own net) and then, when it looked like we would win, the Algerians scored in the 86th minute (my brother always said that Rufai was one of the best goalkeepers at stopping shots from in front of him, but that, like all Nigerian goalkeepers, he was terrible with crosses).

However, what I would never forget was the unending penalties. I knew that Peter Rufai would score (I had seen him play as an outfield player and I had seen him score penalties, so I was confident), but the tension was insane! I couldn't sit still.

Then, guess whose penalty was saved. . .just guess (the same name that had been burned into my brain before the match).

Peter Rufai is a legend!

Nigeria vs Algeria (semi-final of the 1988 African Nations Cup in Morocco).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOkNnt9_94A

Go to the 1:59 seconds mark to see Nigeria's goal. Yekini hit the post, the ball bounced out, Okwaraji fired a shot and it deflected in off the Algerian defender.

10 Likes

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by holuwajobar(m): 11:01am On Aug 12, 2020
Sam okwaraji.

I remember when his mom came to "who wants to be a millionaire" show, I think she was assisted by bovi and one other celeb, I can't remember the name.

Frank edoho asked the woman , how has life been after the death of her son, She said life has been so tough, that NFF that made alot of promise to her , didn't meet up to their promises.

Frank edoho also asked her that what does like to say, she said on TV that in her next life, she won't allow any of her children do anything for the country.

It is so painful that Nigerians forgot the family Okwaraji left behind.... So so sad

84 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by Nobody: 11:01am On Aug 12, 2020
Indomie generation of football lovers will not know this.....

Back to hustling jare..

9 Likes

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by mightyhazell: 11:01am On Aug 12, 2020
hmm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by YosemiteDan: 11:01am On Aug 12, 2020
Rest on great baller.

2 Likes

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by Hotzone(m): 11:02am On Aug 12, 2020
Ok
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by Sabicleaners: 11:02am On Aug 12, 2020
How time flies!

Its 31 years already since you left this sinful world.

Sleep on football legend who died doing what he knows how to do best.

SabiCleaners is the best plug for all your cleaning needs: we have the best house cleaners and office cleaners you can ever get.
Contact on signature
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by paulolee(m): 11:03am On Aug 12, 2020
JidennaJason:
The labour of our heroes past are all in vain...

Rest Peacefully Football Barrister.
thats d bitter truth..they would all be very angry with the present state of the country..

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by Zyxzzzz: 11:03am On Aug 12, 2020
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by topshotnista(m): 11:04am On Aug 12, 2020
99:1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by Arturitoroman: 11:04am On Aug 12, 2020
legend died at a very young age
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by Racoon(m): 11:04am On Aug 12, 2020
Sam Okwaraji was truly an unsung Nigerian legend.Rest on Hero.

3 Likes

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by GeneralPula: 11:04am On Aug 12, 2020
Growing up then, nah Oparaji people dey always call ham. Diaz this song..

Ohh Oparaji!! Ohh Oparaji!!

Ti o’ba n ge ege lorun, mah ge won l’ege ara..

It means Oparaji, if you’re dribbling in heaven, dribble them well and in style..

grin

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by Kemimarch16(f): 11:05am On Aug 12, 2020
Rest on legend
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by hatchetman(m): 11:05am On Aug 12, 2020
F
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by topshotnista(m): 11:05am On Aug 12, 2020
Ninety-nine one.. Who else believed that bullshit
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by Naijaguy12345(m): 11:05am On Aug 12, 2020
He is also linked with the controversial match between Nigeria and India which was claimed that he scored the only goal against the Indian side 99-1 which leads to his death on the pitch.
99-1 Make una take am easy !

[img]https://i./CacJ.gif[/img]

7 Likes

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by omooba969(m): 11:05am On Aug 12, 2020
Rip
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by kolinz01(m): 11:06am On Aug 12, 2020
So sad. I imagine the plans he had for the future before his unexpected demise.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Champions League: List Of Teams That Made It To The Round Of 16 / Manchester United Reacts To Arsene Wenger Leaving Arsenal / Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.