Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,425 members, 7,830,125 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:39 PM

Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors (1140 Views)

Nigerian Power Firm To Sell Electricity To Burkina Faso / IGP Obeys Osinbajo's Directive, Orders Immediate Overhaul Of SARS Nationwide / Osinbajo Orders Complete Overhaul Of SARS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors by deji17: 5:21pm On Aug 13, 2020
Siemens Overhaul of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors
By Tope Alake and Anthony Osae-Brown
August 12, 2020,
Updated on August 13, 2020

Company is rebuilding Nigeria’s power transmission system

Siemens AG’s overhaul of Nigeria’s electricity grid is attracting interest from private companies seeking to invest in power production, the head of the German company’s local unit said.

Siemens signed a contract with the government last year to rehabilitate and expand the West African nation’s electricity system, with the first phase costing about 2 billion Euros, according to Onyeche Tifase, chief executive officer of Siemens Nigeria Ltd.. The company is using as a model its experience in Egypt, where it increased generation capacity by more than 40% in less than three years.

The revamp in Nigeria will include upgrading dozens of power substations and building new ones, as well as installing new transformers and distribution lines, she said. The upgrades are persuading skeptical investors to see opportunity in the country, Tifase added.

“Our ability to deliver all the automation of distribution, transmission and generation has boosted investors’ confidence, and oil and gas companies that had stepped back because of a lack of benefits are reconsidering,” the CEO said in an interview in Lagos, the commercial capital. “We see further investments being unlocked.”

Nigeria has more than 13,000 megawatts of installed electricity generation capacity but only 7,500 megawatts of that is available and less than 4,000 megawatts is dispatched to the grid each day. The partnership with Siemens will modernize the existing network before enlarging it until the country can produce and distribute 25,000 megawatts.

Incessant Outages
The World Bank, which estimates that Nigeria loses about $28 billion or 2% of gross domestic product a year to power cuts, approved a $750 million loan in June to create a sustainable metering and commercial framework for running the grid.

The deal agreed to last year requires Siemens to boost transmission capacity, to 25,000 megawatts by 2025, from 4,500 megawatts. That will help end incessant outages and ensure the inclusion of about a third of the population of more than 200 million people now excluded from the grid.

Siemens plans to implement the project in phases, starting with the initial phase of resolving current inefficiencies in distribution and transmission while upgrading capacity to 7,000 megawatts. The second phase will target 11,000 megawatts.

The project has attracted low-cost financing backed by the German government and credit-risk guarantees by Euler Hermes Group SAS, according to Tifase. Lenders including Commerzbank AG and Deutsche Bank AG have indicated an interest in extending credit, she said. German lenders are expected to finance the supply of all equipment, products and systems for the project.

— With assistance by Ruth Olurounbi

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-12/siemens-overhaul-of-nigerian-power-grid-draws-private-investors

Re: Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors by mrdan(m): 5:35pm On Aug 13, 2020
Good one. Hope there wont be setback or issues to cause delays or reason for Siemens to pull out.
Re: Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors by PHAYOL81: 5:36pm On Aug 13, 2020
I hope this is true.
Re: Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors by edochie12: 5:36pm On Aug 13, 2020
From my place in Onitsha,we don't get up to 5 hours light daily,but for now it has increase to 21 hours daily.

3 Likes

Re: Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors by Ikennamurphy: 5:39pm On Aug 13, 2020
I hope it is not just a hype and really true
Re: Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors by PHAYOL81: 5:50pm On Aug 13, 2020
I hope this is true. If they can bring constant power suppy into play, particularly in the urban and commercial areas, the economy will get a good rebound; and there's a good chance our FDI might skyrocket back to the huge percentage we boasted in the 70s.

2 Likes

Re: Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors by pharmagba: 5:57pm On Aug 13, 2020
If this goes as planned ,it will revolutionize and kick.start the industrialization of Nigeria.
After this let face security issues and bring Ajaokuta back to life. At least with this present politicians will have put down a Nation to the next generation

4 Likes

Re: Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors by deji17: 6:00pm On Aug 13, 2020
pharmagba:
If this goes as planned ,it will revolutionize and kick.start the industrialization of Nigeria.
After this let face security issues and bring Ajaokuta back to life. At least with this present politicians will have put down a Nation to the next generation

Coupled with the rail and Agricultural revolution, things are taking shape. Smart people are tapping into the progress and positioning themselves for growth.

3 Likes

Re: Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors by slimfit1(m): 6:10pm On Aug 13, 2020
Security will determine whether they come or not security at the moment is none existence don't fool us.
Re: Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors by OlujobaSamuel: 7:02pm On Aug 13, 2020
My area has no visible improvement, just from 14hrs to 16hrs daily. While my parents side enjoy significant improvement, from 12hrs weekly with light shedding, to about 18hrs daily.
My in-laws enjoys 24hrs for more than a week from August 1st to 8th(as at the last time we discussed it, so I don't know if it exceeds that)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors by deji17: 7:04pm On Aug 13, 2020
OlujobaSamuel:
My area has no visible improvement, just from 14hrs to 16hrs daily. While my parents side enjoy significant improvement, from 12hrs weekly with light shedding, to about 18hrs daily.
My in-laws enjoys 24hrs for more than a week from August 1st to 8th(as at the last time we discussed it, so I don't know if it exceeds that)

Waoh. That is impressive and things are about to get better with the FG-Siemens power deal
Re: Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors by byinks(f): 8:37pm On Aug 13, 2020
The coming 5G disaster is the only motivation for this , why couldn't Siemens do this 10 years ago ?
Re: Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors by ODJ124(m): 9:30pm On Aug 13, 2020
Buhari is working...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors by lastempero: 10:06pm On Aug 13, 2020
They still dey talk about national grid instead of disintegrating the structure so that power can be generated independently.
Re: Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors by Abohboy: 10:09pm On Aug 13, 2020
byinks:
The coming 5G disaster is the only motivation for this , why couldn't Siemens do this 10 years ago ?

Because the last government didn’t want them to, or didn’t think of it and didn’t sign a contract with them, what kind of foolish question is this.

2 Likes

Re: Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors by Abohboy: 10:09pm On Aug 13, 2020
lastempero:
They still dey talk about national grid instead of disintegrating the structure so that power can be generated independently.

Do you really think that will help
Re: Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors by byinks(f): 10:17pm On Aug 13, 2020
Abohboy:

Because the last government didn’t want them to, or didn’t think of it and didn’t sign a contract with them, what kind of foolish question is this.

Abeg stop this APC PDP crap...
Re: Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors by Abohboy: 10:32pm On Aug 13, 2020
byinks:

Did I mention APC or PDO I just told you that a contract wasn’t signed then and no common ground was made between Siemens and ten government there, no where did I mention a political party or anything to dispute.

1 Like

Re: Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors by byinks(f): 10:34pm On Aug 13, 2020
Abohboy:

Did I mention APC or PDO I just told you that a contract wasn’t signed then and no common ground was made between Siemens and ten government there, no where did I mention a political party or anything to dispute.

So you're not another BMC stooge...
Go in peace and God bless.
Re: Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors by lastempero: 10:57pm On Aug 13, 2020
Abohboy:

Do you really think that will help

Very very well. We should embrace captive way of generating and distributing power rather than having a national grid that collapses at will. There ia enough gas to go round for southern states and the north can stick to their hydro power source.
Re: Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors by tribalmall: 11:09pm On Aug 13, 2020
byinks:

If this govt is failing your father will be shouting APC up n down but now that it seem to be succeeding you do not want anyone to shout APC.

1 Like

Re: Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors by byinks(f): 12:17am On Aug 14, 2020
tribalmall:

If this govt is failing my father will be shouting APC up n down but now that it seem to be succeeding you do not want anyone to shout APC.

What has your father got to do with this.. ??
Re: Siemens Overhaul Of Nigerian Power Grid Draws Investors by leofab(f): 2:32am On Aug 14, 2020
Way to go.. we need the technological transfer too

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

APC Accuses Governor Wike Of Plotting To Elevate Wife To A’court Over Seniors / APC Leaders Banned From Traveling Out Of Country / Ondo 2020: APC Thugs Allegedly Chase Away Voters With Gunshots

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.