Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,754 members, 7,827,782 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

Suggestions On Jos-plateau State Problems - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Suggestions On Jos-plateau State Problems (3182 Views)

PDP Presidential Campaign Rally In Jos, Plateau (Photos) / President Jonathan Campaigns In Jos, Plateau State (live Pictures) / People In Jos Climb Mast Just To Listen To Buhari During Campaign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suggestions On Jos-plateau State Problems by roots: 12:50pm On Feb 16, 2011
Wtih current violence going on in Jos and it's surroundings, what is your suggestion or recommendations towards achieving a lasting peace on the Plateau. Though the root to these problem started before the 20th century and it seems it has become an unending issue. The Issue is "who are the owners of Jos or settlers". The Hausas have claimed ownership, the Afizere, Anaguta and Berom have claimed ownership.

What is your suggestion Nairalander
Re: Suggestions On Jos-plateau State Problems by Nobody: 1:00pm On Feb 16, 2011
Hausa have no history linking them to jos.They are the squatters.
Re: Suggestions On Jos-plateau State Problems by djay4: 1:23pm On Feb 16, 2011
Human Right watch observations

Inter-communal violence has affected many parts of Nigeria before and since the end of military rule in 1999. Most of these conflicts were originally very localized. Some of these groups have fought each other for decades for control of land, economic resources and political positions. Central to many of these disputes, as explained below, is the notion of indigeneship which has pitted groups who consider themselves the indigenes or the first inhabitants of an area, against those viewed as settlers. Large-scale inter-communal violence is a more recent phenomenon in Plateau state than in some other parts of Nigeria. There had been long-standing grievances between differient communities for several decades, but it was not until 2001 that people began turning to organized violence.

from: Revenge in the Name of Religion:Cycle of Violence in Plateau and Kano states published in 2005

[size=8pt]The Hausas should accept the truth (they are not owners of Jos) and respect the customs and traditions of their host communities, like the way Igbos and Yorubas do. The host respect the tradition and customs of the settlers too.[/size]
Re: Suggestions On Jos-plateau State Problems by maga1: 1:24pm On Feb 16, 2011
Kill them all (hausa & berom). Since they cant co-exist. They are like cancer to the nation, causing hatred everywhere. angry
Re: Suggestions On Jos-plateau State Problems by Nobody: 6:30pm On Feb 16, 2011
The only solution is for the Hausas to drop the indigineship claim to Jos or Plateau. Even one of the numerous commisions headed by a Muslim suggested this!
The indigineship issue is a serious thing that nobody jokes with in Nigeria. Despite the long time stay of Hausas in Yorubaland and Igboland I dont think they can just walk into an LG office and demand fo an indigine certificate nor can they aspire to be governor of Akwa-Ibom, Oyo etc and the same can also be said of Yorubas/Igbos in Kano, Sokoto, Bauchi etc.
If the Hausas drop their claim to Jos and just live with the indigines like the Yorubas and Igbos their will be long lasting peace on the Plateau.
Re: Suggestions On Jos-plateau State Problems by ajalio(f): 7:54pm On Feb 16, 2011
@All

It is very depressing but read this. Anybody in the Jos area and other parts is a victim, a victim of history.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0Bzk7_FAcxq95M2VjMWE3OWItZTJhNC00ZDM4LThlODItMmU2M2NlNzYxNTU4&authkey=COvi_6gK&hl=de (it needs some seconds for loading)

or help us here, to find solutions to end the killings in Jos:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_159324707450404&ap=1

Be sure, this group isn't like nairaland where people just blame each other. We ONLY need people who sincerly wish to help, people with ideas.
Re: Suggestions On Jos-plateau State Problems by skydeexie(m): 5:49pm On Feb 21, 2011
Rtd. Gen. Jeremiah Useni of Langtang was asked once who the owners of Jos were.

His answer: "Remove the soldiers over Jos city and you'll know who are the real owners"

He is spot on, dead on target!
Re: Suggestions On Jos-plateau State Problems by Obiagu1(m): 6:41pm On Feb 21, 2011
Sell the state!
Re: Suggestions On Jos-plateau State Problems by Muza(m): 6:50pm On Feb 21, 2011
Most people in this forum and even Nigeria in general do not understand the real problem in Jos, many rely on the one sided reports they read in newspapers.
Take Lagos for example, Its a yoruba town but there alot of Ibos,Hausas and ppl from several tribes that were born in Lagos,lived their whole life in Lagos and own very big businesses in Lagos, so do u think its fair for the yorubas to try to drive away the other tribes so as to take over their businesses,definitely NO.
The battle in Jos is for the economic power, anybody that has been to Jos before knows of Jos north, that is the economic heart beat of the state, the metropolis, and unfortunately for the beroms the hausa/fulanis dominate the place,they own most of the buildings,filling stations,shops,houses,car dealers, and so many other things,so the beroms want to find a way to drive away the hausa/fulanis so they can take over all these thing,ask your self,is this fair.
Many will ask,how did the Hausa/fulanis acquire this economic power, simple and clear to understand; Anybody that knows berom ppl will know that they are lazy and are drunks, while they were busy lazying about, drinking, gambling, fucking. . .etc,the Hausa/fulanis were laboring in the hot sun investing wisely, and the investments paid off.
Thats why therez any crisis in Jos, the beroms have less to lose in terms of assets and properties, thats why they almost always start the crisis.
The political power of Jos belongs to the beroms,and the hausa/fulanis have accepted that,they are not doing anything to change that but why is it that the beroms want to reap where they did not sow,this is the problem of Jos.

Anybody that has been to or has stayed in just perfectly knows and understands what i'm talking about.
Re: Suggestions On Jos-plateau State Problems by asha80(m): 10:52pm On Feb 21, 2011
Muza:

Most people in this forum and even Nigeria in general do not understand the real problem in Jos, many rely on the one sided reports they read in newspapers.
Take Lagos for example, Its a yoruba town but there alot of Ibos,Hausas and ppl from several tribes that were born in Lagos,lived their whole life in Lagos and own very big businesses in Lagos, so do u think its fair for the yorubas to try to drive away the other tribes so as to take over their businesses,definitely NO.
The battle in Jos is for the economic power, anybody that has been to Jos before knows of Jos north, that is the economic heart beat of the state, the metropolis, and unfortunately for the beroms the hausa/fulanis dominate the place,they own most of the buildings,filling stations,shops,houses,car dealers, and so many other things,so the beroms want to find a way to drive away the hausa/fulanis so they can take over all these thing,ask your self,is this fair.
Many will ask,how did the Hausa/fulanis acquire this economic power, simple and clear to understand; Anybody that knows berom ppl will know that they are lazy and are drunks, while they were busy lazying about, drinking, gambling, bleeping. . .etc,the Hausa/fulanis were laboring in the hot sun investing wisely, and the investments paid off.
Thats why therez any crisis in Jos, the beroms have less to lose in terms of assets and properties, thats why they almost always start the crisis.
The political power of Jos belongs to the beroms,and the hausa/fulanis have accepted that,they are not doing anything to change that but why is it that the beroms want to reap where they did not sow,this is the problem of Jos.

Anybody that has been to or has stayed in just perfectly knows and understands what i'm talking about.

are you sure about the bolded?if i am not mistaken the yorubas and igbos that live there also exhibit economic power and influence too so focus on hausa fulani?

as for beroms being lazy and drunks i have heard this a lot of times that i am wondering wether it is now the truth

1 Like

Re: Suggestions On Jos-plateau State Problems by Muza(m): 11:27pm On Feb 21, 2011
^^
I'm positive,but of course it wudnt be only hausas that hav all the businesses,but they control a substantial part in Jos north

for them being lazy nd drunk,its no secret,even they will admit it.
Re: Suggestions On Jos-plateau State Problems by ekubear1: 3:09am On Feb 22, 2011
☻ajali☺:

@All

It is very depressing but read this. Anybody in the Jos area and other parts is a victim, a victim of history.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0Bzk7_FAcxq95M2VjMWE3OWItZTJhNC00ZDM4LThlODItMmU2M2NlNzYxNTU4&authkey=COvi_6gK&hl=de (it needs some seconds for loading)

Thanks for the ref. Very eye-opening.
Re: Suggestions On Jos-plateau State Problems by Ikengawo: 8:51am On Feb 22, 2011
The culture and standards of the host culture should be respected, which the fulani fail to do constantly (grazing cattle on their land for instance)
this is the root of most of the problems.

also, it shouldn't be legal to be a nomad in 2011, it's not a way of life, it's a relic of a primitive era that's clashing with the modern one and causing friction.
Re: Suggestions On Jos-plateau State Problems by Jeel: 9:22am On Feb 22, 2011
D problem is political not religious nd should b viewd as such
Re: Suggestions On Jos-plateau State Problems by Nobody: 3:29pm On Feb 22, 2011
@Muza, I dont think I agree with u! The prblm in Jos is not of economic power at all. If not more than the hausa-fulanis, the ibos and yorubas also control a substancial economic power but the biroms and all plateau indigenes are completly at peace wt the ibos, yorubas, tivs, etc, while hausa-fulanis are at war with everybody else, why?
Re: Suggestions On Jos-plateau State Problems by djay4: 3:55pm On Feb 22, 2011
Muza:

Many will ask,how did the Hausa/fulanis acquire this economic power, simple and clear to understand; Anybody that knows berom ppl will know that they are lazy and are drunks, while they were busy lazying about, drinking, gambling, bleeping. . .etc,the Hausa/fulanis were laboring in the hot sun investing wisely, and the investments paid off.

I thought this area is meant for suggestions and the way forward. It seems u 're looking at your own side in a positive way then looking at others as the negative. As for me hate to generalize people as the way you did. As for me I don't look at all Hausa/Fulani people as all bad same goes to the beroms even the Ibos, Yorubas etc. The Beroms, Igbos, Yoruba, Hausa, etc all benefit from each other.  

As for the Business, I think I disagree with you because Jos has a lot of Igbos, Idomas, TIV, Yorubas too. I remember last month when the Igbos closed their businesses for a economy was paralyzed within that period. I equally would agree that the Hausa some time closed their business too, the economy went bad.

As for the Berom, I still disagree with you that they all lazy and drunk. I remember when things where good, some Hausa purchase items from their farms, like cabbage, Irish potatoes, cucumber, green bean etc  sale them in large quantity to south and eastern part of Nigeria. Building-Material along Jos-Bukuru express way is where the purchases take place. Barkin-Ladi is another. Please is there any incident or instances where the Berom man entered Bauchi road or terminus and burnt your market, filling station etc. Do you have any fact to prove that it is the Berom man, or even the Igbo man, Yoruba Man.

As for Domination, Angwa Rukuba, Zaria road, Farin Gada, Gada biu, Apata, Alheri, Jenta, Tina Junction, Tafabalewa road, Church street, Langtang street, Rwang pam street, Zoo area, Busa bugee etc are not more 0.5% occupied, business domination by the Hausa or Fulani and all these areas I've mention are in Jos-North.

My brother, there is no need pushing blames rather let us look for the way forward.
Re: Suggestions On Jos-plateau State Problems by drealzum(m): 12:01pm On Oct 17, 2015
Muza:
Many will ask,how did the Hausa/fulanis acquire this economic power, simple and clear to understand; Anybody that knows berom ppl will know that they are lazy and are drunks, while they were busy lazying about, drinking, gambling, fucking. . .etc,the Hausa/fulanis were laboring in the hot sun investing wisely, and the investments paid off.

Rubbish Rubbish. How dare you call the people who host you "drunks and lazy people"? Who are more lazy than Hausas? Able men who sits all day begging for alms. people who have made begging a career, people who have aided terrorism and violence. Your comment is an insult to all true indigenes of the plateau. If you are ignorant of properties owned by plateau people in jos shut up. Hausa's who all try to speak birom at local government secretariat come here and speak gibberish.I wouldn't have replied you but am just doing so because this is a public fora.
A man gets married to four wives and Has 20 children and what he does for a living is to move with razor and scissors to cut peoples nails and collect peanut's what is he? Some of this squatter's on our beautiful plateau are menace. Yes I said it..

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Pictures Of Sorry State Of Oyigbo Roads In Rivers State / Escapee Chibok Girl Speaking American Phonetic On Channels Tv. / Dasuki Replies Presidency: ‘I Am Not A Thief Or Treasury Looter’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.