Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. (102326 Views)

Man Pictured Near Edge Of Zimbabwe’s Victoria Falls Before 350-foot Death Drop / XENOPHOBIA: Nigerians Find Safe Havens In Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Others / Vadoma: The Ostrich People Of Zimbabwe Who Have Just Two Toes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by duro4chang(m): 4:52pm On Aug 18, 2020
francisbarrack:

We have to hold them responsible coz for instance wen they campaign they neva fulfil there promises. Some tribe r superior here
But that doesn't stop us from doing what is right and just. Criticise and do your own part. Stop stealing, stop bribing, stop nepotism,stop favoritsm. Then let us see what will happen. Finally stop supporting anything that is unlawful.

1 Like

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by izubext007: 4:52pm On Aug 18, 2020
cultism has destroyed us......occultism has bondage us I wipe when I see all this things.
Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by anungangampu: 4:55pm On Aug 18, 2020
This is a country of 200 million scampering for scarce resources.. If you don't make money in Nigeria nobody go give you, your goverment don't even have any poverty alleviation program for youths and you expect the to look normal..

If not the mentality of Nigerians, we the people would be at the forefront protesting for good goverment everyday.

When Obi make his money the nxt thing he will tell chinedu he is lazy and won't even try to help him...

What do you think a right thinking chinedu will so..

Am no trying to say crime is the way but whatever made Nigeria what it is today started from how we regard our fellow Nigerians starting from the goverment.

2 Likes

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by TruthDefender(m): 4:56pm On Aug 18, 2020
Personal Integrity. That's what we have lost as a nation. We feel the end justifies the means and people of questionable character who acquired illegitimate wealth are no longer frowned upon.

If you do, you are a hater..

2 Likes

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by seunny4lif(m): 4:56pm On Aug 18, 2020
grin
No be small thing
I fear all those French speaking countries forces than anything

Niger police are even more craze
Pavillon:

lool

you see, when you are talking about stricts and crazy armed forces in w/Africa, dont even talk about Francophone countries, esp if you dont understand French again, d speed at which dy will determine your case ehen
Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by vanunu: 4:56pm On Aug 18, 2020
robinso01:
Like I do always say, government is not the problem of Nigeria, but individuals. There's no excuse to be a thief, a thief is a thief. I've seen a lot of situations where Nigerians scam each others, is the government also responsible for that also. Nigerians just have bad mentality, all we could think of is getting joy by making others cry.

Those in-charge of Nigerian govt are stealing, korokoro, that is why there is a culture of stealing.
Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by SmartPolician: 4:56pm On Aug 18, 2020
Diamondniyi:

Who motivated the citizens?? Is it not your governments. 25years ago when we had better governments, is this how everything was? Trust me, main problem facing this nation are our leaders. 20% of the problems come from citizens

So why do Nigerians travel to countries where things work and still commit crimes?

Will you still blame the government?

4 Likes

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by SmartPolician: 4:58pm On Aug 18, 2020
IMAliyu:
Well few may still exist in this country.

When you don't trust yourself, you will not make the mistake of trusting some random person.

I still meet old people at ATMs that will try giving you their cards and telling you their pin to help them withdraw.
I'm usually like Baba I will help show you how to withdraw, but please don't tell me your pin.

Calm down

You will do ZILCH even if you have the pin
Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by simplesearch: 4:58pm On Aug 18, 2020
There was a time Nigeria was like that, we were contended until we began to have leaders who prioritize wrong ideals and entrenched same in our national life. Who designated 419 as a game for smart people? who gave approval for medical doctors who work with Govt. to also undertake private practice where they only go to the hospital to recruit patient for their various hospital thereby destroying the health sector? who destroyed the public schools such that private schools becomes a norm. Who destroyed the public service, such that a man can work with FG for 15 years or so and is pensionable for life and can go take another appointment with state Govt, after a while he is pensionable again and can live large afterward, or how can someone who is no longer in active service receive almost twice the pay of the person who is in active service. How can the economy of a nation grow like that and we are surprise how poverty and unemployment rate keep skyrocketing, and crime rate winding upward at an alarming rate. The truth must be told, Nigeria problem is squarely that of cumulative leadership failure and until the leadership admits culpability and be ready to shove aside any toga of self justification and buck passing nothing meaningful will happen. Real changes must start from the top to the bottom, this will happen when we have leaders whose take home will be justifiable and commensurate with the economic standard of those they are leading. Expecting changes from the bottom up is like asking someone without a car key to drive a car. The leadership have the car key and once they move in the right direction the masses will automatically follow, provided the movement is done in good faith and sincerity.

6 Likes

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by Yankee101: 4:59pm On Aug 18, 2020
A change begins with you, not the government

2 Likes

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by Jobminister: 5:00pm On Aug 18, 2020
There is something absolutely wrong with our way of thinking and doing most things here in Nigeria.

I don't want to talk of my experience in Europe, let me just talk about my little stay in Lome,
Togo. An average Togolese in contented with he or she has, one car, one house (if any) and simple life style no envy as much as we have in Nigeria while an average Nigerian wish to have three cars, houses in Abuja, Lagos, PH and their own state if there are not from the ones mentioned.
They are not so much after riches like we Nigerian. We are extremely greedy, we want everything to ourselves and family. We are corrupt in every sense.
We are always thinking of making it the fast way.

The only difference is that we are very had working and also intelligent but most times in the wrong way. Our thinking is not always straight, we prefer short cut a lot.

During the course of the training, I was taken out to tour the town, when we got to their National assembly, I saw that their fence was too low, so I ask them why, I told them that in even of riot or demonstration, people can easily jump the fence and go in there to cause trouble.
The answer they gave to me was that nothing of such can happen with Togolese except that Nigerian are the ones causing trouble in Lome up and down.

The entrance to their presidential lodge is so porous without fear of citizen invasion, but the truth is that such think hardly happen there.

We need to change our mindset and thinking.

10 Likes

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by ekerintee: 5:01pm On Aug 18, 2020
The present day generation have destroyed the good name our great fathers built for us .it took time to build a good reputation but now we see young guys destroying reputation as Nigerians.ubfortunately our children will inherit a bad Nigeria ,when you say you are a Nigeria ,people look at you like a criminal , fraudster ,as someone coming from a very corrupt country.Reparing Nigeria will take a great effort and only tough and harsh policies can do that.

FacelessKing:
Nigerians are quite desperate people.

This desperation for success, though a good thing, is mostly badly controlled.

Every way na way for Nigerians.

That will be a free car my brother.
Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by paul100(m): 5:02pm On Aug 18, 2020
MUTERIKA:
Your last assertion though, the bad are not more than the good so to say, they are just very outspoken and popular due to the phenomenon called 'social media'
I agree with you bro.Social media is one of the main reasons for people seeing us as bad people.A good example is the case of hushpuppi.
I am tired of this country.
I am not 100% sure,our country was change even in the next 20yrs because even we the youths,are following the footstep of our today governors,presidents,etc.Just small position in the University like SUG president,Treasurer etc,students start behave like,mtcheeew i don't know what to describe them as.Fights here and there,money meant to help the betterment f the students are taken for their own selfish reasons.
Just imagine if they are given top positions in this country.I weep for Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by naturefellow(m): 5:05pm On Aug 18, 2020
Stalwert:

We are a funny people. Nigerians blame government for Yahoo boys crimes. We lack the concept of taking responsibility for our actions.

It is so sad our value system has fully degraded. I remember back in Primary school where we read about village where people left their wares unattended to, just pick what you want and drop the money. Today such thinking will earn you derisive laughter.
this is still quite prevalent in very rural areas. But no one would attempt that in big Nigerian cities

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by SmartPolician: 5:05pm On Aug 18, 2020
Moneyboyz:

[s]I see people talking about yahoo boy crimes etc.

No one will engage in yahoo if there are jobs, many have ideas that can bring in millions but without financial backings, the banks will not borrow a NOBODY with ideas money, But the government can support.

Many have dropped out of school because there are no financial backings, whatever happened to student loan that the government cannot provide.

Also the issue of poor currency, we import everything which makes things worse, the 18 thousand minimum wage won't help anyone's situation now that a dollar is 450+ naira. If a dollar is around 10 naira below, no one will waste tangible amount of their time savaging for $100 chicken change cause by the time they bring it home it will amount to nothing.

Ogun state has quite a large amount of manufacturing companies and none is government owned except for ewekoro which I'm sure is under private supervision.
Workers are being maltreated in their own countries yet our black cow brain leaders and the labor union have done nothing about it.
Hunger and the reality that no future awaits if you do nothing in the country drives people to do crazy things.
I'm in no way encouraging crime, I'm just saying if resources are available for everyone, things will get better[/s]

Trash! Trasher!! Trashest!!!

There's no justification for crime whatsoever!

Never!

Ask a Yahoo boy to quit that nonsense and take a regular job and see the response you get.

1 Like

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by stanat: 5:06pm On Aug 18, 2020
seunny4lif:
It can never happen in West or East Nigeria.
Northern Nigeria shops are mostly not locked and yet those guys don’t rob the shops.

I used to work at the MMA and I discovered our mentality has a Nigerians is to steal and blame it on devil or government if caught.

Senegalese police will inform you to come to station yourself.
If I report someone to the police
They will give me a letter to give the person
Once the person collects the letter from me then the person must appear in the station
Failure not to appear can land you 3 weeks in prison without even looking at your case.

Many Nigerians have ended in Senegalese jails for useless crime and many so called big boy Nigerians have slapped or beaten up Senegalese police thinking they are dealing with Nigeria police officers.
They will not even look at their cases even through many were innocent but sentence to over 10 years in prison.
I hope it's not the northern Nigeria I grew up and still residing. Guy if you try it,boys will clean out your shop within a twinkle of an eye.so pls don't miseducate people.

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by chinochizzy: 5:06pm On Aug 18, 2020
I can try that but in The Gambia because crime rate there is almost zero, the highest robbery in the Gambia is stealing of bicycle or stealing the slippers u left outside your home

1 Like

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by roughdiamond(m): 5:07pm On Aug 18, 2020
Greed is our highest problem as a country. From my relationships with other Africans, I found out that they are highly contended and happy despite being poor. Hausas are like that too but my Igbo brethren, all we care about is money and more money. Trying to make it by all means.
Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by SweetDipBenny(m): 5:08pm On Aug 18, 2020
I wud have done d same. Der still gud people in Nigeria
Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by gragraboy: 5:08pm On Aug 18, 2020
Igbochief001:
Is the white man trust worthy ? ...is the Chinese trust worthy? Russians ? ...u need a bit of aggressiveness to grow really ...most Africans lack this except maybe igbos

The rules is meant to keep the weak man down ...there is no rule in this world ...it's a dog eat dog world

No country achieved growth without doing something bad .. except the few small country with large resources ...it's a matter of time they would soon drop too
What did I hear you say?!
Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by Nobody: 5:09pm On Aug 18, 2020
SirLakes:

grin grin
Walai I dey tell you grin
Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by gragraboy: 5:09pm On Aug 18, 2020
Igbochief001:
Is the white man trust worthy ? ...is the Chinese trust worthy? Russians ? ...u need a bit of aggressiveness to grow really ...most Africans lack this except maybe igbos

The rules is meant to keep the weak man down ...there is no rule in this world ...it's a dog eat dog world

No country achieved growth without doing something bad .. except the few small country with large resources ...it's a matter of time they would soon drop too
Did I hear you say Igbos?! Wonders shall never end
Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by babadee1(m): 5:09pm On Aug 18, 2020
Opexzy:
I have met honest people in Nigeria too, with even a more convincing test.

I was in computer village, ikeja Lagos state to fix my phone's screen that broke. It was on a Thursday and all shops were meant to be closed due to lockdown restrictions.
Just like you know, some of them will surely still be by the roadside to hustle for customers. I was there explaining to the technician that want to fix my phone, when a car pulled over and the driver stretched out his hand and handed over his phone, (an iPhone for that matter) to the same guy to help add screen protector and a silicone case.
He paid right there and told the guy he is in a hurry to pick up someone at the airport that he would collect it when he his returning. He dropped his contact card and didn't even bother to collect the guys contact before he drove off.

Everyone was surprised including the guy, because he has never met the man before and there was no traceable location because everywhere was locked.

I think it's better you thank your star that you met a good Zimbabwean.
Just like I use to pray to always encounter good Nigerians

Bad people are everywhere likewise good people.

So basically you don't know whether the guy got his iPhone back or not.

1 Like

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by Opexzy: 5:10pm On Aug 18, 2020
MARKone:

Nah, Nigerians are criminally minded. That is why Red flags are raised when you introduce yourself as a Nigerian in a foreign land, locally same thing, everyone is a suspect. Your narration, is not complete, did you see the phone repairer again, because that guy that confidently drop his phone, might as well have set the phone repairer up, you see Nigerians ehen, you need to be extra careful

When the guy was done, he called the man and he left us in his shop to wait for him by the road side.
You are right with that though, it might be a trap, but if it was, the guy did not fall into it.
Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by Litmus: 5:10pm On Aug 18, 2020
Why do those that claim they are Nigerian always comparing himself or herself disfavorably to everyone in the world? In addition, what good does this do for anyone? What good would it do the world if the wonderful, inventive, exciting, imaginative, exuberant, stylish Nigerian character were to die replaced by Zimbabwean, Ghanaian, Zambian, Rwandan, Togolese, and Cameroonian Character in Nigerians? Right now for instance I’m beginning to notice the Ghanaian horrible way of pronouncing things gradually creeping into the accent of Nigerian news presenters, replacing our wonderful uniquely Nigerian pronunciations that the world seem to love. These things are heartbreaking and I so wish Nigerians would hold on to what they have instead of always trying to adopt the often inferior ways of others.

Zimbabweans are Zimbabwean and should remain boring Zimbabwean, leave Nigerians to be Nigerians. If Nigerian ways die, Africa will never add something different to the world.

1 Like

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by Decimus: 5:10pm On Aug 18, 2020
It's all about trust. Can you even try that in USA or UK?
Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by Nobody: 5:11pm On Aug 18, 2020
Stalwert:

We are a funny people. Nigerians blame government for Yahoo boys crimes. We lack the concept of taking responsibility for our actions.

It is so sad our value system has fully degraded. I remember back in Primary school where we read about village where people left their wares unattended to, just pick what you want and drop the money. Today such thinking will earn you derisive laughter.

There was once a village called Areta
The village Aretta is still existing till today but cut off from others by water. AIT feature it like 10 years ago

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by toprealman: 5:11pm On Aug 18, 2020
I like how you've used one isolated case to make your hasty generalisation.
Same country, wrong guy......your name will be sorry!
Back to your question, just like Elijah was told......there are still a reasonable remnant that will replicate same here in Nigeria.
Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by Abusadiq01(m): 5:11pm On Aug 18, 2020
Fada lord, save our dear country Nigeria

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by King44(m): 5:11pm On Aug 18, 2020
I think his view is very narrow like that of the SAs

Your judging millions by the action of one man, it is stupid

When you fall into the wrong hands next time I won't what your view would be like

There are good people same way there are bad in Zim and everywhere

There is a youtube channel I watched, where the guy went to the street of SA to ask south Africans what they think of Nigerians they all painted Nigerians with one brush

He asked if they had first hand experience of being scammed or seen any Nigerian selling drugs or drugged someone etc, they were sincere, they all said NO not even one could say he or she was scammed... So where is the accusation and generalisation coming from... Since that day my mind set changed.

It has even gotten worse that south African women would tell their female children not to associate with Nigerians because they would open them up and stock drugs in them and ship them overseas. The narrative should change to reflect the truth.

There are good NIGs there are bad NIGs and the good are more than the bad ones.

Someone said the government can't be blamed ask yourself has Nigeria as a country been like this from inception?? Character and moral wise.

So what happened Gvt!!!
Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by aoofbeautifulme(f): 5:12pm On Aug 18, 2020
Wow
That's commendable

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

My Regretfull Journey To Europe ( How It All Started ) / Photos Of The 52 Cows Killed By Train In Kaduna / Adventures Of Lionlee216

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.