Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,748 members, 7,824,155 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support (4425 Views)

S’sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Assistance On Security Training / Displaced Bakassi Children Seeks Nigeria Fg’s Help[pics] / South Korea Seeks Nigeria's Assistance In Peace Talks With North Korea (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by jason123: 7:53pm On Feb 16, 2011
The Sudanese Head of Mission to Nigeria Mr. Gabriel Gai Raik, has called for Nigerian assistance for a successful take-off of the Southern Sudan State expected to kick off on July 9th this year.

He made the call in Abuja during his visit to the office of the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Odein H. Ajumogobia, when he informed him that the state will become effective in July this year and requested Nigeria’s assistance towards the gradual take-off of the state.

The envoy also informed the minister that the just concluded referendum for the peoples of Southern Sudan recorded 98% vote approval for separation, adding that President of Sudan, Mr. Al- Bashir, has accepted the result in good faith.

He said Nigeria has been one of their big brothers in the continent and that formal request for Nigeria’s assistance would be presented soon.

Ajumogobia advised the Sudanese delegation to make a formal request to President Goodluck Jonathan stating their specific needs, pointing out that Nigeria, through the Technical Aid Corps (TAC) is planning and mapping out strategies on how to come in and assist them.

The minister also said that, “Nigeria is pleased with the process of the referendum so far, as it has been peaceful and in order to fill in gaps, Nigeria would not want to duplicate what other countries would want to do by way of assistance to the state.”

He added that in realizing the July 9 separation day, Nigeria will support and give full assistance to their efforts.

http://dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12146:southern-sudan-seeks-nigerias-support&catid=1:news&Itemid=2
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by PhysicsMHD(m): 8:17pm On Feb 16, 2011
This is somewhat ironic, considering what's happening in Jos and Benue.
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by homerac7: 8:28pm On Feb 16, 2011
^^

No, its most proper. Jos, Bauchi & Maiduguri r not enogh issues to deny them of our full support at ds their infantile stage.

Like Ajumoghobia rightly responded, TAC is what dey need most. We can send dem teachers, professors, doctors, engineers and other technocrats to help them build their new country. They also need security wc we can train their citizens on.
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by PhysicsMHD(m): 8:34pm On Feb 16, 2011
homerac7:

^^

No, its most proper. Jos,  Bauchi & Maiduguri r not enogh issues to deny them of our full support at ds their infantile stage.

Like Ajumoghobia rightly responded, TAC is what dey need most. We can send dem teachers, professors, doctors, engineers and other technocrats to help them build their new country. They also need security wc we can train their citizens on.

That wasn't what I was saying.

Southern Sudan split because of Northern socio-political domination, ethnic violence, and the scarcity of grazing land leading to supporter of APC raids.

This reminds me of Nigerian Northern political domination, ethnic violence (Jos, Benue, and previous conflicts), and rapidly approaching desertification leading to nomadic Fulani going even as far as Anambra and Cross river, Ekiti, etc. and killing people there over grazing and cows. Not that its on the same scale. It's just the existence of these parallels and yet South Sudan coming to Nigeria for guidance going forward that I find ironic.
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by ekubear1: 8:42pm On Feb 16, 2011
I thought South Sudan split because of a longstanding civil war. The supporter of APC stuff is a separate matter, isolated to Western Sudan (Darfur)/Eastern Chad.

The two affairs are pretty unrelated. Least, this was my impression.
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by PhysicsMHD(m): 8:54pm On Feb 16, 2011
The Sudanese civil wars were precisely because of Northern Sudanese socio-political domination.

The supporter of APC were allowed to carry on as they did by the Northern controlled Sudanese government and there were (believable) claims of government forces arming or aiding them.

Both events have a similar origin, in my opinion.
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by ekubear1: 9:11pm On Feb 16, 2011
But one event predates the other by decades. Just because gov't high-handedness is the same root cause of both events, doesn't mean the events are closely related.

I don't see how there is any irony here.
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:19pm On Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, my mistake. Darfur is quite distinct.

I mean its ironic that they're looking to Nigeria for guidance when they've escaped some problems which Nigeria has not.
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by EzeUche2(m): 9:43pm On Feb 16, 2011
This is very ironic indeed. Southern Sudan is looking at the wrong country for support. The Animist and Christians in Southern Sudan should not look to Nigeria for support, because Northern Nigerians are more aligned with Northern Sudan and the Arab North than they are with their fellow Africans.
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by homerac7: 9:54pm On Feb 16, 2011
Ok, I get ur point.

Also remember dt our situation is relatively on d very smaller side when compared to their's. Fulani rascality can be checked if only our govt acts responsibly unlike theirs dt Ws entwined wt war crimes. We also share anglophone roots wc makes us d big brother.
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by coolgb(m): 9:59pm On Feb 16, 2011
a case of one-eyed man leadin a blind man, abi no be dis nigeria wey even nid assistance
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by chikeobi(m): 11:55pm On Feb 16, 2011
^^^^ I wonder ooh. May be the man mean Niger.
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by Nobody: 8:51am On Feb 17, 2011
If a Notherner is in Power, Southern Sudan will not get their desired support.
If a Southerner is in Power, Souther Sudan will get theeir desired support.

Now, who will be the first to stone me?

The fact is, Nigeria get wahala. The Southern-Nothern divide is a reality and the more we shy away from it, the more trouble we create for our unborn generations.

Congratulations to the Southern Sudan! You have my support.
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by Joe50(m): 12:51pm On Feb 17, 2011
jason123:

He added that in realizing the July 9 separation day, Nigeria will support and give full assistance to their efforts.

are you going to share our oil with them? angry angry lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by omo9ja1(m): 1:18pm On Feb 17, 2011
This is a good move by the new southern Sudan people, Nigeria is the giant of African, we should be able to play our part and ensure we grant their request, LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOUR grin
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by tlops(m): 1:24pm On Feb 17, 2011
Joe50:

are you going to share our oil with them? angry angry lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

we will tap their oil for them.

I think its a good gesture and FGN should support. We have a ministry for foreign affairs, on which such call falls.
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by tlops(m): 1:26pm On Feb 17, 2011
If Nigeria had been responsible with its governance, we should have had a ministry for African affairs where they'll act like big brothers (like the US) to our neighbors.
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by Pharoh: 1:27pm On Feb 17, 2011
We should be the one to be in charge of their whole economy especially the oil industry as we do presently in sao tome.  

They surely need us in terms of education, oil industry, banking, military training and many more, so time for Nigeria to start playing a bigger roll before other countries roll into that place.
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by Tokotaya: 1:50pm On Feb 17, 2011
If we conduct our own referendum, many nationalities will vote to separate o. Yet they are asking us for help, when we have troubles of our own.
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by vinooh: 4:06pm On Feb 17, 2011
i like this request,o yaah GJ order IGbOS to go there,yes within one year that place will be developed
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by Guyman02: 5:15pm On Feb 17, 2011
Pharoh:

We should be the one to be in charge of their whole economy especially the oil industry as we do presently in sao tome.

They surely need us in terms of education, oil industry, banking, military training and many more, so time for Nigeria to start playing a bigger roll before other countries roll into that place.

I Share your point, advertise for Nigerian Youths willing to go to south sudan for work. Lets not leave things there for the Chinese guys alone, we have to start looking for jobs outside our shores for our young graduates. We have the intellect and energy and resourcefulness to make things happen anywhere in Africa at least.
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by Solozzo(m): 5:28pm On Feb 17, 2011
Southern Sudan should be careful in choosing who gives them support and guidance. Nigeria would only promote corruption and ineptitude in South Sudan, Would be better if they seek help from south africa or western european countries so that they can get a good foundation for economic growth
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by daberechim: 5:33pm On Feb 17, 2011
Our Country should learn from these because if what has happened in sudan happens to Nigeria our Image and strength will diminish all over the world. it is a fact we have to face. we cannot shy away from it. If one ethnic group thinks they can do without the other they are decieving themselves. see what is happening in the middle east today.  Nigeria will not be complete without the Hausas, Ibo Man, Yoruba man, niger delta, and any other tribe in nigeria no matter how small the tribe is.

We shouldn't let things get that bad before we shart crying over spilt milk. our leaders a word of advice for you all. the referendum option is always there,
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by seyibrown(f): 7:47pm On Feb 17, 2011
Very interesting . . . 'Looks like Charity will begin in Southern Sudan and not at home in Nigeria' smiley . . . now let's see how this turns out!
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by Emmyk(m): 7:55pm On Feb 17, 2011
Nigeria, Duty Call, So that means, NO CROSSING OVER EACH OTHER BOUNDRIES AGAIN ? You take the right route or u're Shot. Ha!
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by Nobody: 9:06pm On Feb 17, 2011
nice from the minister, i don't know why but i think i like this man Ajumogobia
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by Joe50(m): 9:08pm On Feb 17, 2011
this is a lesson to Nigerians calling for divison between the christians and moslems. if we're to divide; the christians would have seek OBAMA for help while the moslems would have seek the ARABS for help.
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by marabout(m): 1:28am On Feb 18, 2011
At Solozzo,

Actually Nigerians sent to give technical aid do a pretty good job. Nigerians have served as Attorneys-General in many African countries (e.g. Gambia, Botswana) and they improved the judicial system to be speedier than Naija's.

In a different environment without the culture of rampant corruption, Naijas do an amazing job.
Naija sent 60 professors to Ethiopia only a few years back. No report of them asking for Ethiopian girls' congos to pass a course/paper so far. grin grin grin grin.
I do not suppose that you have introduced corruption to your neighbourhood and place of work in Australia. So most Naijas can behave themselves Hippocrates, Galen, Paracelsus and Vesalius would be proud of the Naijas I see everyday.
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by Jenifa1: 1:32am On Feb 18, 2011
marabout:

At Solozzo,

Actually Nigerians sent to give technical aid do a pretty good job. Nigerians have served as Attorneys-General in many African countries (e.g. Gambia, Botswana) and they improved the judicial system to be speedier than Naija's.

In a different environment without the culture of rampant corruption, Naijas do an amazing job.
Naija sent 60 professors to Ethiopia only a few years back. No report of them asking for Ethiopian girls' congos to pass a course/paper so far. grin grin grin grin.
I do not suppose that you have introduced corruption to your neighbourhood and place of work in Australia. So most Naijas can behave themselves Hippocrates, Galen,  Paracelsus and Vesalius would be proud of the Naijas I see everyday.

I agree with you.

besides this is another good opportunity for nigeria to build diplomatic relationships outside of our border. It will help us later down the run when we need a favor/ allies etc.
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by fstranger3(m): 1:35am On Feb 18, 2011
How close is LaTvia from Sudan?
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by Jenifa1: 1:36am On Feb 18, 2011
fstalker3, how am i supposed to know?
i'm from denmark. not latvia

your time on NL would be terribly boring without me heh?
Re: Southern Sudan Seeks Nigeria’s Support by fstranger3(m): 1:43am On Feb 18, 2011
Jen[/b]stalk[b]i[/b]ngfroma[b]fa,

I wasnt talking to you, but if you think that my seemingly benign question has something to do with you, then you need to have your head checked. You are not the only one from Latvia. Thare are other prominent Latvians on this site. Seun Osewa and DK are both from Latvia.

Is paranoia part of your PMS symptoms?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Okorocha's 50 Special Assistants To Generate Their Pay Themselves / News Breaking:umuchu Residents Forced Ngige Out Of His Car( Pics) / Northerners Lets Get To Know Each Other

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.