Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo (6295 Views)

Asiwaju Tinubu Salutes Like The Commander In Chief (Photo) / Nnamdi Kanu Replies Junaid Mohammed: IPOB Not Ohaneze, PANDEF That Bow To Threat / Shouts Of APC At Ojude Oba Festival Is An Abomination - OBA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by sarrki(m): 1:05pm On Aug 20, 2020
It is an abomination for an oba in yoruba land to bow to greet his subjects chiefs included

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by obonujoker(m): 1:06pm On Aug 20, 2020
Mtcheeew... Irrelevance

1 Like

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by ajailer(m): 1:13pm On Aug 20, 2020
The oba is only onikoyi of Ikoyi, a hamlet town while Iba Gani Adams is the Aare ona kakanfo of the whole Yoruba land.......it's just the way I see it sha, I might be wrong

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by sarrki(m): 1:16pm On Aug 20, 2020
ajailer:
The oba is only onikoyi of Ikoyi, a hamlet town while Iba Gani Adams is the Aare ona kakanfo of the whole Yoruba land.......it's just the way I see it sha, I might be wrong

The way you see it is wrong

No matter how small a king is he or she can’t bow to a mere glorified chief in yoruba land

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by RuddyFusion(m): 1:16pm On Aug 20, 2020
ajailer:

Even the sitting arrangement tells the story...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by ajailer(m): 1:26pm On Aug 20, 2020
sarrki:

No matter how small a king is he or she can’t bow to a mere glorified chief in yoruba land

If we should look back to history, Ikoyi at the beginning was a hamlet and the highest man was a Baale. I guess enlightenment and the need to be relevant was why the title of Baale was upgraded to an Oba, but Aare ona kakanfo has always been what it has been power wise from the beginning. I believe the title of Oba now being given to the Onikoyi is just a glorified Baale. Another thing to look at is the sitting arrangement in the picture, it shows that the Onikoyi is a subject of the Aare ona kakanfo.

It's my opinion sha.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by Access03(m): 1:29pm On Aug 20, 2020
Go and read more about the Yoruba 'rich' history. Onikoyi actually did the right thing here. No hommo!

1 Like

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by Stephenomozzy(m): 1:29pm On Aug 20, 2020
Crying more than the bereaved,
The "Oba" who knows customs and history of the tradition seems happy to be doing all that he did.

See his smiles.

It's like saying one the president of one small African country should not respect the Prime Minister of Britain.

I'm just saying.

3 Likes

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by googi: 1:30pm On Aug 20, 2020
Nigerians would rationalize their birthrights and inheritance away.

ajailer:
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by IamCookie(f): 1:35pm On Aug 20, 2020
I think the Oba must have consulted the high-ups to understand which title is superior to the other before acknowledging through a bow.

Sometimes, appearance may be deceptive
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by Charmingrascal(m): 1:36pm On Aug 20, 2020
sarrki:
It is an abomination for an oba in yoruba land to bow to greet his subjects chiefs included

Are is bigger than some Kings

There is nothing abominable here Mr sarrki

2 Likes

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by ajailer(m): 1:54pm On Aug 20, 2020
googi:
Nigerians would rationalize their birthrights and inheritance away.

Did I tell you that I am a prince that you are mentioning birthright or is my father a king that you are talking about inheritance?

I guess you don't know where Ikoyi is otherwise you won't talk this or you think it is the Ikoyi in Lagos State?

1 Like

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by Nadaken: 1:56pm On Aug 20, 2020
It is an abomination until money enter
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by ThatFairGuy: 1:59pm On Aug 20, 2020
All I know is "Aroni ni o wale onikoyi o sinmi ogun'lo"
Yoruba is beautiful Sha cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by ZKOSOSO(m): 2:00pm On Aug 20, 2020
After Ooni and Alaafin of Oyo is Aare Ona Kakanfo

Corrected...!

1 Like

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by Brooklynsouth(f): 2:02pm On Aug 20, 2020
slavery a form of lifestyle for those creatures over there anything to prostrate like lizards on heat period is welcome bunch of back stabbers

3 Likes

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by ZKOSOSO(m): 2:02pm On Aug 20, 2020
After Ooni and Alaafin of Oyo is Aare Onaa Kakanfo in the Yoruba traditional hierarchy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by IamWonderful: 2:07pm On Aug 20, 2020
sarrki:

Aare is only subject to Ooni, Alafin and every other children of oduduwa, every other baales and kings that come after aren't powerful to summon Aare, if you don't know something, is better you ask or keep your mouth shut

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by sarrki(m): 2:20pm On Aug 20, 2020
IamWonderful:
Aare is only subject to Ooni, Alafin and every other children of oduduwa, every other baales and kings that come after aren't powerful to summon Aare, if you don't know something, is better you ask or keep your mouth shut

You lack historical teachings

Above all you lack basic reasoning

1 Like

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by illicit(m): 2:30pm On Aug 20, 2020
The Aare is the fieldmarshal/Generalissimo of the Yoruba race cutting accross towns, cities and states.

A king in his own rights, only subject to the Alaafin, he mustn't bow to any other principality except the Alaafin.

His title is Iba so as not to be confused with Oba

The Onikoyis were guards/warriors called Esho in Yoruba, in hierarchy, the Aare supersedes the Onikoyis who were traditionally war chiefs

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by sarrki(m): 2:37pm On Aug 20, 2020
ZKOSOSO:
After Ooni and Oyo is Aare Onaa Kakanfo in the Yoruba traditional hierarchy

I disagree totally

There is nowhere in our history that states such

Reason why history must be taught at all levels of our educational system
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by Artiiclebeast: 3:05pm On Aug 20, 2020
Political chiefs.
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by IamWonderful: 3:10pm On Aug 20, 2020
sarrki:

You lack historical teachings

Above all you lack basic reasoning
I guess your "historical teaching and basic reasoning" made you frivolous and mischievous.

4 Likes

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by Nobody: 3:31pm On Aug 20, 2020
sarrki:

No, the are ona kakanfo wields more power in the Yoruba empire than any other tittle, he controls the whole millitary structure of the Yoruba empire, that is why he is prevented from residing near the empire capital (Oyo alafin), after him is the bashorun, the alafin is being checked by the Oyo messi's, which bashorun is the leader, and the Oyo messi's are being checked by the ogboni cult, the are onokakanfo controls the seventy ESO of the alafin, which are respected individuals, of which timi of ede town is inclusive, but no one check the are ona kakanfo, this is the reason why the are is not allow near the alafin palace, to prevent treason, the Yoruba empire was able to stand strong for centuries because of these check on power, if a strong alafin rules, it will be replace by a weak one, and on like that, and the Oyo mesi's may compel the alafin to commit suicide, if he is not wanted by the people, most obas are under the alafin, except the oni of ife, cause that's where the first alafin hails from (oranmiyan), and it is forbidden to wage war on the alafin or the oni, because those are the ruling head, I'm not saying bowing to are is right, but cinsidering the power the are wields, it's not surprising.

I am a native of Oyo town, of the balogun clan, that's why I know all these

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by Nobody: 3:48pm On Aug 20, 2020
ZKOSOSO:
After Ooni is Ona Kakanfo

The first alafin may be the last born of oduduwa, but he had a right at ife, he left his brothers to create Oyo, because they quarreled, and since the forming of Oyo, he conquered a lot of land, with alafins like sango and subsequent one, they make the Yoruba land a great empire, one of the few empire that exist in the history of the world, the alafins did many exploit in terms of battle and where the one that make the Yoruba nation the greatness it has, there was discipline and culture, and a fearless and pride cavalry, who never condones defeat, it is either you conquer in a battle, or allow the enemy to kill you, if you return home unvictorious you shall be killed, with this principle the Yoruba empire was able to stand, now tell me where was the onI, when the alafin's are doing these exploits. you said after the onI is the are ona kakanfo, not putting into consideration that the are ona kakanfo is the idea of the alafin, who is more commited to seeing to the welfare of the people, he created ede town for this purpose, likewise illorin, the alafin has been the one seeing to the welfare of the whole of yoruba kingdom from time immemorial, although he is the last born of oduduwa, now tell me, where are the oni's who are his elders, when he was doing these, he was also the one that suggested fighting the Fulani's that insulted their father, before fight ensued on the way and he left to create Oyo town, ever since then the alafin has been seeing to the affair of the Yoruba kingdom, and not even the onI can wage war against them as ife is under the protection of the alafin, even laying a curse on any are ona kakanfo that will attack ile ife or Oyo town, cause power is given to the are by the alafin, although one did it, which leads to the decline of the Yoruba empire, but the are ona kakanfo that did it died miserably. And the aremo that compelled the are to do it, was also forced to commit suicide by the are ona kakanfo, such is the power given to the are ona kakanfo by the alafin.

3 Likes

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by Nobody: 3:55pm On Aug 20, 2020
illicit:
The Aare is the fieldmarshal/Generalissimo

A king in his own rights, only subject to the Alaafin, he mustn't bow to any other principality except the Alaafin.

His title is Iba so as not to be confused with Oba

The Onikoyis were guards/warriors called Esho in Yoruba, in hierarchy, the Aare supersedes the Onikoyis who was traditionally a war chief

You are right, most obas and Yoruba town are war chiefs and military outpost of old Oyo empire, illorin inclusive

5 Likes

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by googi: 4:07pm On Aug 20, 2020
You are certainly right about one thing. I was thinking about Ikoyi, Lagos.

But my brother, does it have to be? Do you have to be a Prince, a Chief or a king to point out what is wrong?

Yoruba etiquette and standard are falling because we are being infected with the rest of Nigeria.

I was only appealing to your cultural value regardless of your blood and state.

My apologies.

ajailer:

Did I tell you that I am a prince that you are mentioning birthright or is my father a king that you are talking about inheritance?

I guess you don't know where Ikoyi is otherwise you won't talk this or you think it is the Ikoyi in Lagos State?
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by Yebosola(m): 4:14pm On Aug 20, 2020
Brooklynsouth:
slavery a form of lifestyle for those creatures over there anything to prostrate like lizards on heat period is welcome bunch of back stabbers

Take sniper away from this one b4 we hear story that touches the heart.

3 Likes

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by frankyychiji(f): 4:16pm On Aug 20, 2020
Because Gani Adams I s not a Buhari asslicker, Sarrki allowed hate for the man to becloud his sense of reasoning.

I'm not Yoruba, but as soon as I saw the topic, I knew it must have to do with something about the Aare thingy.
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by sarrki(m): 4:48pm On Aug 20, 2020
frankyychiji:
Because Gani Adams I s not a Buhari asslicker, Sarrki allowed hate for the man to becloud his sense of reasoning.

I'm not Yoruba, but as soon as I saw the topic, I knew it must have to do with something about the Aare thingy.

You see your reasoning shay ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by Christistruth00: 4:54pm On Aug 20, 2020
sarrki:

Let me try to explain.

Gani Adams is the Alaafin of Oyo's Aare Oona Kakanfo ( Chief War General and representative of Alaafin) that makes him the next most Powerful man traditionally after the Alaafin among ethnic Oyo.
The Onikoyi is Originally of Oyo Origin and From the Ikoyi Military Class (Alafins Cava!rymen)

The Aare Oona Kankanfo is traditionally the General Commanding Officer of the Ikoyi Military Class.
and because as a Yoruba Chief Onikoyi understands the hierarchy that is why he is being courteous.

7 Likes

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by budaatum: 5:17pm On Aug 20, 2020
sarrki:

Unless that ọba is a glorified new ọba, and there are many new ọbas like that across Yorubaland since baalẹs were promoted.

(1) (2) (Reply)

PEPT: David Hundeyin puts out Very Disturbing report. / Matters Arising: On Nnamdi Kanu's Arrest, Was He Really Arrested? Or Hogwash? / Nnpc’s Kyari Says Fossil Fuel To Remain Relevant Decades To Come

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.