Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,095 members, 7,838,767 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 08:59 AM

Acs Salutes African Americans In Science - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Acs Salutes African Americans In Science (535 Views)

Former President Goodluck Jonathan Clocks 58, As Okowa Salutes Him! / Fayose Salutes Buhari, Begs Nigerians To Accept Presidential Poll Result / Boko-haram Leader Salutes Global Jihadists In Video: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Acs Salutes African Americans In Science by Nchara: 12:26am On Feb 18, 2011
Re: Acs Salutes African Americans In Science by SEFAGO(m): 12:32am On Feb 18, 2011

Any fellow ACS in nairaland?

Why do you wanna know?

Most people there dont look black ooh!!
Re: Acs Salutes African Americans In Science by Nchara: 12:34am On Feb 18, 2011
SEFAGO:

Why do you wanna know?

Because I like to know. Have a problem with that?
Re: Acs Salutes African Americans In Science by SEFAGO(m): 12:37am On Feb 18, 2011
yeah right
Re: Acs Salutes African Americans In Science by Nchara: 12:42am On Feb 18, 2011
Good for you, bro. Where did you present? Are you coming to Anaheim next month?

What year? I can look up the ACS database to find some naija (Yoruba)-sounding names grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Acs Salutes African Americans In Science by SEFAGO(m): 12:47am On Feb 18, 2011
Re: Acs Salutes African Americans In Science by PhysicsRND(m): 12:49am On Feb 18, 2011
SEFAGO:

lol. Well,  Percy Lavon Julian is black looking (just look at his childhood pictures) and he's the one there that really matters. Dude was a beast. If he had lived long enough (not that he died early), I think he could have gotten a Nobel prize. Within his lifetime it hadn't sunk in how important his work was.
Re: Acs Salutes African Americans In Science by SEFAGO(m): 12:56am On Feb 18, 2011
^ Yeah i dont trust most of those things you see. Most afrocentrist like to claim people though it makes sense a lot of people have african ancestry.

Another famous quadroon that is rarely know to be part black was the literary giant Alexander Dumas.

Percy Lavon Julian? Never heard of him, would read up on him. I dont know most of the famous american chemists though in general because americans later in the field of science relative to the europeans who dominated it uptill the (1970s)
Re: Acs Salutes African Americans In Science by SEFAGO(m): 1:28am On Feb 18, 2011
Holy crap the guy actually had 180 patents to his name

WOW

Nchara which you one you get?

Instead of emulating this guy instead of engaging in tribal battles tongue
Re: Acs Salutes African Americans In Science by PhysicsRND(m): 1:31am On Feb 18, 2011
Yeah, Afrocentrists like to make Charles Drew into some towering medical giant (he wasn't though  sad ), which is kind of ironic considering how much white ancestry he clearly has.

And Dumas is one of my favorite writers ever. Little depth, but one of the greatest storytellers ever. I still remember reading the Three Musketeers at 12. Then Twenty Years after and the Vicomte book. And of course, the Count of Monte Cristo.

Pushkin is also usually claimed by people who haven't read any of his work.

As far as Percy Lavon Julian, he was pretty important. Do read up on him.
Re: Acs Salutes African Americans In Science by PhysicsRND(m): 1:34am On Feb 18, 2011
SEFAGO:

Holy crap the guy actually had 180 patents to his name

WOW

Nchara which you one you get?

Instead of emulating this guy instead of engaging in tribal battles tongue

Wikipedia just says more than 130; where did you read exactly 180?

Either way, yeah like I said, he was a giant. He would have won it if he had somehow lived up to the 1990s when the impact of all the things he helped pioneer was really being felt, in my opinion.
Re: Acs Salutes African Americans In Science by SEFAGO(m): 1:45am On Feb 18, 2011

Wikipedia just says more than 130; where did you read exactly 180?

Typo. Wow I never knew about him, nice. Learned something new.

And Dumas is one of my favorite writers ever. Little depth, but one of the greatest storytellers ever. I still remember reading the Three Musketeers at 12. Then Twenty Years after and the Vicomte book. And of course, the Count of Monte Cristo.

Well Dumas was not trying to write something deep or soul-searching like Dostoevsky. His stories were biographical in nature and quite entertaining. More like a children's version of Tolstoy and less boring. Three Musketeers was sickkkkk still the greatest book I have read (read it a 1000 times), I hated Count of Monte Cristo though because I usually feel sympathetic towards villains (any subconscious explanations)
Re: Acs Salutes African Americans In Science by PhysicsRND(m): 2:18am On Feb 18, 2011
Yeah, Dumas wasn't trying to philosophize. He was keeping it classic.

Wow@ hating Count of Monte Cristo. It's just so well executed a book in my opinion. The twists, the suspense, etc.

As for sympathizing with villains. They're only interesting when they have a lot of depth and background, which is rare.

Anti-heros do get into more risky situations in good fiction, so they are more interesting when they do pop up. I can how they would evoke sympathy when they inevitably screw things up.

(1) (Reply)

Why Libyans' Revolt / Protesting Daniel Supporters Are Fools, Says Obasanjo / Even Obj Can't Ignore The Truth About Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.