Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,959 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! (5583 Views)

Buhari Reveals How Obasanjo ‘tolerated Him’ / How Obasanjo Scuttled Tinubu’s Ambition Of Producing Buhari’s Finance Minister / Details On How Obasanjo Tore His PDP Membership Card (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by wales(m): 6:44am On Feb 18, 2011
Ogun State Governor, Otunba Gbenga Daniel, has attributed the failure of former President Olusegun Obasanjo to restore true fiscal federalism to his aborted third term agenda.

Daniel spoke at a public lecture organised by Omoluabi tagged, ‘Politics in post-2011 Nigeria: Is Yorubaland endangered?’ held in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital on Thursday.

He said many politicians decided after the 1999 elections that since Obasanjo had become the president, there was the need for them to support him.

He added that though the former president supported the idea of a national conference, the ‘third term virus’ disrupted his plan.

The governor said that rather than entrusting the people’s lives in the hands of individuals, there must be a Yoruba agenda that should be supported by all.

He expressed the fear that the much talked about credible elections in April might remain a ‘wild goose chase’.

Daniel also made a case for a drastic reduction in electioneering funds.

The guest lecturer, Prof. Akinjide Osuntokun, observed that politicians calling for all politicians to belong to mainstream politics had their position weakened by the fact there was nothing to show for Obasanjo’s tenure.

He said, “Yoruba people watched helplessly as their roads became unmotorable and all their appurtenances of modern life collapsed. They were rightly not singled out for favour.

“In fact, if the truth must be told, the Obasanjo government bent over backwards to accommodate other ethnic groups at the expense of the Yoruba.

“For example, since 2003, no Yoruba woman has been found suitable for a ministerial appointment in a country where Yoruba women have led in the acquisition of Western education since the imposition of colonial rule.”

He stated that in the distribution of ministerial positions, the Yoruba had fared worse than other ethnic groups.

“It is, therefore, open to debate if the Yoruba would have fared worse if they had not belonged to the mainstream,” he added.

Osuntokun, who is the Dean, College of Humanities, Redeemer’s University, said most Nigerians would rather have a weak centre and a fiscally strengthened state of regional governments.

The Yoruba, he added, ought to be able to manoeuvre their way through the labyrinth of political and economic negotiation to achieve the Nigeria of their dreams.

“There should be no contradiction between Yoruba patriotism and Nigerian nationalism. What is good for the Yoruba should necessarily be good for other Nigerians,” he said.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201102189431820
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by Lagosboy: 9:43am On Feb 18, 2011
I am yoruba but playing politics on a tribal agenda is backwards IMO. What has the tribe of minesters got to do with governance, last time i checked all 36 states have nominees into the cabinet. The prof was not satisfied but whining that no yoruba woman is present.

What did a yoruba woman do when she was INEC REC for Ekiti state !
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by vocalist(f): 3:47pm On Feb 18, 2011
@LAGOSBOY, U WIL LIVE FOREVER, PLEASE HELP ME TELL THEM DAT TRIBALISM HAS NOT TAKEN NIGERIA TO ANY LEVEL RATHER BACKWARD, PLEASE LET US STOP TRIBAL AND THINK OF HOW TO MOVE OUR FATHER'S LAND FORWARD, OH! IS DAT Y ALL OF THEM WANT TO DIE COS A NIGER DELTAN MAN IS THE NO ONE CITIZEN OF THIS COUNTRY, OVER HOW MANY YRS THE NIGER DELTANS HAS BEEN ENDURING NO BODY COMPLAINED BUT NOW ALL OF THEM WANT TO DIE, CO LET ME ASK THIS PEOPLE, IS NIGERIA THEIR FATHER'S INHERITANCE OR SOMETHING I MEAN I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS ISSUE OF TRIBAL LEADERSHIP AND ALL DAT, PLEASE MY DEARLY BELOVED NIGERIANS WE ARE ONE, LETS LIVE AS ONE BROTHER IN CHRIST AND AS ONE NGERIAN.

THANKS
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by oderemo(m): 3:59pm On Feb 18, 2011
well said vocal slender grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by globatop: 4:18pm On Feb 18, 2011
OGD you were part of 3rd term agenda
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by frankiemun: 4:41pm On Feb 18, 2011
Politics is very dangerous for all of us because we are young.
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by teskyg: 4:53pm On Feb 18, 2011
Daniel should shut his dirty mouth up.NA now him he get mouth to talk abi?
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by OAM4J: 5:31pm On Feb 18, 2011
teskyg:

gbam!
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by Nobody: 5:31pm On Feb 18, 2011
Africa my Africa, oh Africa the only continent where individuals vie for leadeship position with the aim of siphoning the countreis funds rather than serve its citizenry. Africa my Africa when shall we borrow a leaf from our colonial masters. May we all live long to see the Africa of our dream.
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by tommi34475: 5:36pm On Feb 18, 2011
vocalist:

U WIL LIVE FOREVER, PLEASE HELP ME TELL THEM DAT TRIBALISM HAS NOT TAKEN NIGERIA TO ANY LEVEL RATHER BACKWARD, PLEASE LET US STOP TRIBAL AND THINK OF HOW TO MOVE OUR FATHER'S LAND FORWARD, OH! IS DAT Y ALL OF THEM WANT TO DIE COS A NIGER DELTAN MAN IS THE NO ONE CITIZEN OF THIS COUNTRY, OVER HOW MANY YRS THE NIGER DELTANS HAS BEEN ENDURING NO BODY COMPLAINED BUT NOW ALL OF THEM WANT TO DIE, CO LET ME ASK THIS PEOPLE, IS NIGERIA THEIR FATHER'S INHERITANCE OR SOMETHING I MEAN I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS ISSUE OF TRIBAL LEADERSHIP AND ALL DAT, PLEASE MY DEARLY BELOVED NIGERIANS WE ARE ONE, LETS LIVE AS ONE BROTHER IN CHRIST AND AS ONE NGERIAN.

while I find tribal politics backward and counter productive, I however differ on your niger delta theory of endurance,  digging deep into it only reveals a deeply conceited tribalism which is what we're condemning. Presidents of nations should be chosen based on competence, not were they come from not even if it's the niger delta, and on that premise, I believe the lucky man in aso rock is not the best Nigeria and in fact the niger delta has to offer.
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by chosen04(f): 5:53pm On Feb 18, 2011
OBJ is the greatest failure of all times.
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by Exponental(m): 5:59pm On Feb 18, 2011
teskyg:

Daniel, why are u exposing urself!!!!!!!!!
Four yrs after, u talking about a buried case.
May fire keep burning u all up!
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by dayokanu(m): 5:59pm On Feb 18, 2011
Na dem dem
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by Kenyata(m): 6:01pm On Feb 18, 2011
I simply implore you to find time to read this piece.

A refreshing perspective -
Interesting read!!!

Please if you write a silly book,
don't invite Sanusi Lamido Sanusi to make a presentation. ,

I guess Olaniwun Ajayi has learnt from this.

Sanusi faults Olaniwun Ajayi on Northern domination

The Central Bank Governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi,
surprised guests present at the Muson Centre for the launching of the
book of Sir Olaniwun Ajayi at the Muson Centre in Lagos .

The book titled: " Nigeria , Africa 's failed asset?" attracted many
important dignitaries, intellectuals and some governors. The argument by discussants centered on whether or not the colonial masters laid the foundation for the problems Nigeria is currently facing.

Many argued that the British loved the North and that was why it gave more than 50 percent of the National Assembly seats to the North at independence.

Sanusi, however, stole the show when he spoke. His speech was anchored on the plank that the British and Nigerian rulers are responsible for the state of the situation Nigeria finds itself today.

Below is his unedited speech.

"Let me start by saying that I am Fulani (laughter). My grandfather was an Emir and therefore I represent all that has been talked about this afternoon. Sir Ajayi has written a book. And like all Nigerians of his generation, he has written in the language of his generation.

"My grandfather was a Northerner, I am a Nigerian. The problem with this country is that in 2009, we speak in the language of 1953. Sir Olaniwun can be forgiven for the way he spoke, but I cannot forgive people of my generation speaking in that language.

"Let us go into this issue because there are so many myths that are being bandied around. Before colonialism, there was nothing like Northern Nigeria . Before the Sokoto Jihad, there was nothing like the Sokoto caliphate. The man from Kano regard himself as bakane. The man from Zaria was bazazzage. The man from Katsina was bakatsine. The kingdoms were at war with each other. They were Hausas, they were Muslims, they were killing each other.

"The Yoruba were Ijebu, Owo, Ijesha, Akoko, Egba. When did they become one? When did the North become one? You have the Sokoto Caliphate that brought every person from Adamawa to Sokoto and said it is one kingdom. They now said it was a Muslim North.

"The Colonialists came, put that together and said it is now called the Northern Nigeria .
Do you know what happened? Our grand fathers were able to transform to being Northerners. We have not been able to transform to being Nigerians. The fault is ours.

Tell me, how many governors has South West produced after Awolowo that are role models of leadership? How many governors has the East produced like Nnamdi Azikiwe that can be role models of leadership? How Many governors in the Niger Delta are role models of leadership? Tell me. There is no evidence statistically that any part of this country has produced good leaders.

You talk about Babangida and the economy. Who were the people in charge of the economy during Babangida era? Olu Falae, Kalu Idika Kalu. What state are they from in the North?

"We started the banking reform; the first thing I heard was that in Urobo land, that there will be a curse of the ancestors. I said they (ancestors) would not answer. They said why? I said how many factories did Ibru build in Urobo land? So, why will the ancestors of the Urobo people support her?

"We talk ethnicity when it pleases us. It is hypocrisy. You said elections were rigged in 1959, Obasanjo and Maurice Iwu rigged election in 2007. Was it a Southern thing? It was not. "The problem is: everywhere in this country, there is one Hausa, Ibo, Yoruba and Itshekiri man whose concern is how to get his hands on the pile and how much he can steal.

Whether it is in the military or in the civilian government, they sit down, they eat together. In fact, the constitution says there must be a minister from every state.

"So, anybody that is still preaching that the problem of Nigeria is Yoruba or Hausa or Fulani, he does not love Nigeria . The problem with Nigeria is that a group of people from each and every ethnic tribe is very selfish. The poverty that is found in Maiduguri is even worse than any poverty that you find in any part of the South.

The British came for 60 years and Sir Ajayi talked about few numbers of graduates in the North (two at independence) . What he did not say was that there was a documented policy of the British when they came that the Northerner should not be educated. It was documented. It was British colonial policy. I have the document. I have published articles on it. That if you educate the Northerner you will produce progressive Muslim intellectuals of the type we have in Egypt
and India. So, do not educate them. It was documented. And you say they love us (North).
"I have spent the better part of my life to fight and Dr. (Reuben) Abati knows me. Yes, my grandfather was an Emir. Why was I in the pro-democracy movement fighting for June 12? Is (Moshood) Abiola from Kano ? Why am I a founding director of the Kudirat Initiative for Nigerian Development (KIND)?

"There are good Yoruba people, good Igbo people, good Fulani people, good Nigerians and there are bad people everywhere. That is the truth. "Stop talking about dividing Nigeria because we are not the most populous country in the world. We have all the resources that make it easy to make one united great Nigeria . It is better if we are united than to divide it.

"Every time you talk about division, when you restructure, do you know what will happen? In Delta Area, the people in Warri will say Agbor, you don't have oil. When was the Niger Delta constructed as a political entity? Ten years ago, the Itshekiris were fighting the Urobos. Isn't that what was happening? Now they have become Niger Delta because they have found oil. After, it will be, if you do not have oil in your village then you cannot share our resources.

"There is no country in the world where resources are found in everybody's hamlet. But people have leaders and they said if you have this geography and if we are one state, then we have a responsibility for making sure that the people who belong to this country have a good nature.

"So, why don't you talk about; we don't have infrastructure, we don't have education, we don't have health. We are still talking about Fulani. Is it the Fulani cattle rearer or is anybody saying there is no poverty among the Fulani?", he said.

This is a great message to our generation.
Are we truly ready to develop and unite Nigeria?
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by dextype: 6:09pm On Feb 18, 2011
Everyone dey condemn, OGD dey open mouth even with the skeletons in his cupboard!!!
Shameless drug baron!
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by juliebest(f): 6:19pm On Feb 18, 2011
Birds of the same feather.
All of una d same.
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by oderemo(m): 6:25pm On Feb 18, 2011
that morafuka sanusi no dey mince his words. , reason i love the guy.
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by marcus1234: 6:47pm On Feb 18, 2011
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by yuzedo: 7:16pm On Feb 18, 2011
"My grandfather was a northerner. I am a nigerian".
,  This Sanusi guy gives me intellectual wet-dreams! Omg! I doff my hat 4 d most ebullient office-holder in the polity!  kiss
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by SPIDER90: 7:28pm On Feb 18, 2011
Kenyata, that is a lovely quote from SLS, but the problem with us in this country is that, what we say is always contradictory to our actions. Ask the same SLS about recruitment in CBN since his appointment whether he has not favoured his own kinsmen at expense of others. Tell him to walk his talk. Let us face the fact, we all wish our brother well before others.
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by Nobody: 8:15pm On Feb 18, 2011
True talk sanusi, you got good head on ya shoulders. But i wonder why is gbenga daniel trying to dig his own grave? Won lomode o mela oloun mela katakata,
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by tlops(m): 9:30pm On Feb 18, 2011
OGD, omo, all of u na d same
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by lonewolf: 9:46pm On Feb 18, 2011
Daniels is a monkey. Why didn't he step up and say something years ago. bleeping monkey.
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by aieromon(m): 9:54pm On Feb 18, 2011
OGD,Baba is unforgiving.If you don't believe me,ask Atiku.
You should have stayed out of politics in the first place.
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by MAURI: 10:01pm On Feb 18, 2011
Word Sanusi,
Thanks for holding your own amongst all the organic/opportunist intellectuals we have in Nigeria.
Kudo, for not allowing your intellectual and historical capabilities to be compromised by some pseudo intellectuals who do not want progress for Nigeria and are only out there trying to manipulate the populace for personal interest.
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by Solomon227(m): 3:51am On Feb 19, 2011
This Daniel guy is high on something. Wetin concern us if a bigger thief scam a smaller thief? Please our concern is April when GEJ will be making OGD a minister and OBJ a special ambassador.

My people please let us set aside religion bigotry and tribalism vote GEJ and PDP out. A vote for GEJ has been confirmed as a vote for d biggest looters and veteran killers in the land. My man GEJ is sacrificing the hopes of over 1 million Nigerians to satisfy looters/killers like OBJ, OGD, Folarin etc.

Cast your vote for Buhari for the future of your children
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by tkb417(m): 8:21am On Feb 19, 2011
That guy is still talking
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by Abayomin70(m): 8:34am On Feb 19, 2011
OGD d most most corupt govnor on earth my school OOU just calloff there 4months old strike yestaday he is owin my lecturers 8months old salary he only pay 4 2month thanks 4 d lecturers 4 thinkin about d student GOD go purnish am and his hole family. HAVE u all ever heard in ur life dat a state government is oyinn WAEC money is dis useles man dat did so where all student dat did WAEC in all public school in ogun state cant see there result 4 close to 6month so many loss there admission cause of dis useless man he even av d gutt to speak shit.IMAGIN ME payin 108960 has my school fees in oou in a state university.OGD UUU AAARRREEE A BIG MONCKEY
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by delimit(m): 8:53am On Feb 19, 2011
Good talk from Sanusi
Ija no de ti orin dowe-it is because of the fight between OBJ and OGD that made him to voice out,since they ve been doing collabo
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by Nobody: 10:00am On Feb 19, 2011
Gambari pa Fulani, na dem dem jare. If they like make the two of yamutu each other. In fact it's prolly even better for them yamutu each other
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by saharachic(f): 12:17pm On Feb 19, 2011
Danny the Dog, thief and shameless ediot. You never Jam!
Re: How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! by amurx(m): 12:28pm On Feb 19, 2011
so OGD is even talking he shuld go n die. Shameless idiot

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Have No Political Godfather - Fayemi / Saraki Was Captured Treating Dino Melaye / Video: Snipers Sighted On The Roof Of Oriental Hotel, VI, Lagos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.