Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,244 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:55 AM

Ig Turns Down Banks’ Request For Riot Policemen ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ig Turns Down Banks’ Request For Riot Policemen ! (2276 Views)

Fayose Shut Down Banks Over Tax Evasion, Imposes N1,000 Tax On Slaughtered Cows / Buhari Turns Down Former Petroleum Minister Alison-madueke Offer To Refund $250m / Obasanjo Turns Down Pleas To Help Revive PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ig Turns Down Banks’ Request For Riot Policemen ! by wales(m): 7:26am On Feb 18, 2011
Inspector-General of Police, Hafiz Ringim, has turned down a request by a delegation from banks for riot policemen to provide security for financial institutions in the country.

The team had visited the police boss to ask for the return of mobile policemen that were withdrawn from banks following the shooting of a Bank PHB staff, Mrs. Nonye Okere, by a riot policeman attached to a branch of Zenith Bank in Mpape, Abuja on January 31, 2011.

The riot policemen were replaced with the conventional ones, in what a source said was part of the move to keep the MOPOL as a unit that would only be used to manage emergency security situation.

Dissatisfied with the withdrawal, the bankers’ delegation approached the IG to seek the restoration of Mobile Policemen to bank duties.

A police source told our correspondent on Thursday that the IG however declined the bankers’ request, saying he could not restore riot policemen to guard duty at the banks until after the general elections in April.

“The banks’ delegation left in disappointment because the IG said he would only consider their request for a return of riot policemen to banks, after the elections as he would need every available officer for electoral duties,” the source said.

Investigation revealed that the banks pay some amount of money to some senior officers at the police headquarters to retain the services of policemen on ‘specie’ duty at the financial institutions, apart from the token sum given to the rank and file on duty.

It was learnt that the banks pay between N10,000 to N12,000 per week to each policeman on bank duty, from which individual officers make ‘returns’ to senior officers.

“Depending on the bank, some pay us N10, 000, others pay more, but individual officer must make a return of N2,000 to a senior officer at every week to keep his place on the bank duty roster,” the officer explained.

But the Deputy Force Public Relations Officer, Mr. Yemi Ajayi, explained that the money paid by the bank for police services was official and was remitted to the government coffers.

“I’m not aware that policemen on bank duty pay money to senior officials; the money paid by the banks go to the government coffers and is receipted; it is official government revenue,” he said.

Ajayi claimed he had no information on the banks‘ delegation meeting with Ringim.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201102189282031
Re: Ig Turns Down Banks’ Request For Riot Policemen ! by Guyman02: 2:48pm On Feb 18, 2011
RIOT POLICE INDEED!
The IG needs them to accidentally discharge into the bodies of voters during elections!!!

With what you see below, do you actually need them to protect you?

Re: Ig Turns Down Banks’ Request For Riot Policemen ! by frankiemun: 4:44pm On Feb 18, 2011
It has become very necessary for all criminal.
Re: Ig Turns Down Banks’ Request For Riot Policemen ! by tlops(m): 9:16pm On Feb 18, 2011
lol,
Re: Ig Turns Down Banks’ Request For Riot Policemen ! by Nobody: 9:35pm On Feb 18, 2011
never trust a police man. never never never never dont say i didnt warn u.
Re: Ig Turns Down Banks’ Request For Riot Policemen ! by Nobody: 9:39pm On Feb 18, 2011
this an open invitation for armed robbery over 100%
Re: Ig Turns Down Banks’ Request For Riot Policemen ! by ndukwejoe(m): 4:25am On Feb 19, 2011
i dont think the IG decision is not wise.
who aids the rigging of election ? na my papa or na policemen i beg make una be the judge?
how can IG give such response. try and visit where rigging is on whether you wont see armed nigerian police officer.
i beg make them tell us wetin we no know.
Re: Ig Turns Down Banks’ Request For Riot Policemen ! by Nobody: 8:25am On Feb 19, 2011
ndukwejoe:

i dont think the IG decision is not wise.
who aids the rigging of election ? na my papa or na policemen i beg make una be the judge?
how can IG give such response. try and visit where rigging is on whether you wont see armed nigerian police officer.
i beg make them tell us wetin we no know.

y u dey complicate english like dis?
u shud have said "i think the ig decision is wise"
Re: Ig Turns Down Banks’ Request For Riot Policemen ! by Affalatus: 4:02pm On Feb 19, 2011
Ikoyi Residence for Rent Two Bedroom Apartment Opposite Park-view Estate
Going for N700,000 you can pay for one year
At Mosley Street, Ikoyi
Call Thomas on: 08035883220
Re: Ig Turns Down Banks’ Request For Riot Policemen ! by otokx(m): 10:04am On Feb 21, 2011
What do banks need riot policemen for?

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Igbos Always Move To SW When They're Asked To Go Back Home From The North / SALLAH TRAGEDY: Taraba State Governor,danbaba Suntai Survive Plane Crash / Batlan Stone Coated Step Tiles Roofing Sheet Call Okosun On 08085158917

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.