Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,646 members, 7,823,831 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:15 PM

Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws (33690 Views)

Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle / Ndokis Are Ijaws...fact! / “yoruba People Own Lagos State Nigeria, All Others Are Guests”– Femi Fani Kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Obiagu1(m): 2:14pm On Feb 18, 2011
Please I'm not the author of this post.

Post by killayut, an Ijaw man

On the issue of Ijaw in Lagos state. People should go back in history. In no Yoruba history there is a mention of Coastal area. The ancien Oyo empire does not extend to the coast. The coast of todays Lagos state has always been settled by a fishing people. The MAHINS. Ilajes and AWORIS. who are these people. These people were Ijaws  who over many many years due to  many different reasons ( arrival of Igbiras through the creeks from Igbira land ) and other mixes  resulted in to the Ijaw minorities there being influenced to change their culture,  a big example of such changes is in to todays  town of ekiadolor where the natives  speak uhrobo but the town is an IJAW TOWN. CHIEF EDWIN CLARK is from EKIADOLOR. almost every body in Ekiadolor speak uhrobo. I dont want to talk about Aladja which is also the same with Ekiadolo.  In ONDO state the people of AROGBO were able to maintaion their Ijawness although a good number f them speak yoruba and have yoruba names. The APOIS of Ondo and parts of Edo are another Ijaw groups that have half of them speaking Yoruba and having yoruba names. along the same coast from ONDO through Ogun to lagos  are the same Ijaw people that got to the Ibeju leki area of LAGOS and eventaully setled at the coastal LAGOS ,  Till tomorrow  Ijaw people sell land in TARKWA,  The word APAPA IN Lagos is an Ijaw word meaning groundnut,  It was named after the minority natives who were fishing there when the seaport was built  to export ground nut from KANO . The sea port became known as groundnut port which is apapa port, Apapa is ground nut in Ijaw.

Today we know that there are mixes in ILORIN AND the pepople there have a lot of fulanis but that does not mean Fulanis  own Ilorin.
It is just unfortunate that the Ijaw man has a very good hospitality that other people  take advantage of,  Its the same hospitality the Ijaw people have in the eastern side where they had a lot of Igbos in to their fold and even made an Igbo freed slave their king. In   KALABARI  there is a tradition call KINI-IYA,  it means to adopt some one or to marry some one,  At that time wealth in KALABARI LAND WAS MEASured BASED ON THE NUMBER OF OTHER PEOPLE you bought or adopted. This led to a rush to acquire as many Igbos as possible. Some KALABARI CHIEFS HAD as many Igbo adopted people like  more than 200 and all these people were given equal right. a CEREMONY was  always made where all the adopted people would be shaven in the public and given KALABARI-IJAW names. It was the same practice in Bonny , Okrika and Nembe,

You people should know that no one from Opobo, Bonny, KALABARI and Okrika would say they are Igbos. Pretty much like no naturalized american would claim that he is from a foreign country.  The natives of those places  are IJAWS but no doubt Igbos came  to play some good parts in their midst. 

Coastal Lagos was owned by IJAW people. the  AWORIS are va mixture of IJAWS AND Eguns,  The Ijaw in Olodi APAPA is too strong all the way to Ijaw ra ( Ijo-ra ). KIRI-KIRI was an aijaw settlement it means  LAND or mainly land in Ijaw and  every one knows   Ijaw people were the ones that lived there before this time,

Yoruba people of  Ijebu and Egba have just migrated to the area hence the awori  egba wars and trouble. Most of the traditional stools now in LAGOS were recently created,  I was in laggos when they created  the Onikoyi stool in Ikoyi. a stool that never existed. In victoria island the APESE community has always been there and they owned it  the Oniru is the stool but that was  it cos maroko  through ajah to ibeju were settled by Ijaws,  The lagos state government does not just recognize this and unfortunately the Ijaws do not have serious plans for all that since their main occupation isnot threatened.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by jason123: 2:16pm On Feb 18, 2011
I am not talking from a position of ignorance but from that of authority! Most OPC members are aworis. Infact, I would say no more. I just wish proper awori man can come here . . lol. He would even be pissed off!

Infact, Fashola is a awori man, why was he pissed off when MEND blew the Atlas cote*? Shebi, he should also fight for MEND not against.

You know what? I better let an awori man tell you this and not me! SMH AND LOL grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by aljharem(m): 2:24pm On Feb 18, 2011
this would be a good and funny thread grin grin grin

lagosians and yoruba is it true or the poster is running mad again smiley

2 Likes

Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by 2fine2fast(m): 2:38pm On Feb 18, 2011
infact oyo.ondo.osun.ekiti,ogun are not owned by yorubas.the yorubas drove d aboriginal hausas away to kwara.i no fil laugh

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Nobody: 3:02pm On Feb 18, 2011
Much as am tempted to ridicule the poster, this write-up is thought-provoking:

1.) How come the Ijaws never ruled any of these their Lagos communities, is it that they don't have leadership capabilities? They didn't even have traditional rulers amongst themselves, ruling their own minor communities? (Which were eventually overwhelmed by the Yoruba 'settlers' as the writer would have us believe.

2.) If a community of people do not farm (i.e. possess a culture of tilling the land to produce food) then on what basis can they lay claim to land? and Ijaw people do not farm, we know they're lazy like that grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by seanet02: 3:11pm On Feb 18, 2011
Obiagu1:

Post by killayut, an Ijaw man

show of stupidit.y. Why dont you say OGUN belongs to Ojukwu barbaric ibos. F.ool.

3 Likes

Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by jason123: 3:13pm On Feb 18, 2011
seanet02:

show of stupidit.y. Why dont you say OGUN belongs to Ojukwu barbaric ibos. F.ool.

Why are you insulting him? He was not the person that posted this stupi.d post

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by md4real(m): 3:19pm On Feb 18, 2011
Obiagu1:

lol  grin
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by saintneo(m): 3:22pm On Feb 18, 2011
seanet02:

not necessary here
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Ibime(m): 3:23pm On Feb 18, 2011
Any place called Kiri Kiri in Lagos musta been an Ijaw settlement.  cool

Obiagu1:

It is just unfortunate that the Ijaw man has a very good hospitality that other people  take advantage of,  Its the same hospitality the Ijaw people have in the eastern side where they had a lot of Igbos in to their fold and even made an Igbo freed slave their king. In   KALABARI  there is a tradition call KINI-IYA,  it means to adopt some one or to marry some one,  At that time wealth in KALABARI LAND WAS MEASured BASED ON THE NUMBER OF OTHER PEOPLE you bought or adopted. This led to a rush to acquire as many Igbos as possible. Some KALABARI CHIEFS HAD as many Igbo adopted people like  more than 200 and all these people were given equal right. a CEREMONY was  always made where all the adopted people would be shaven in the public and given KALABARI-IJAW names. It was the same practice in Bonny , Okrika and Nembe,

You people should know that no one from Opobo, Bonny, KALABARI and Okrika would say they are Igbos. Pretty much like no naturalized american would claim that he is from a foreign country.  The natives of those places  are IJAWS but no doubt Igbos came  to play some good parts in their midst.

This na wetin I dey tell una since.

2 Likes

Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by TewMuch: 3:24pm On Feb 18, 2011
grin grin grin grin grin

Wonders shall never end, Ijaw wetin. I see small Ijaw tribe is trying to boost their population. They jumped from Bayelsa to Lagos. Do they think we have riverine area's or how did they get to Lagos, through the large waves of bar beach? From this assertion is it not right to claim Ijaw as Yoruba? Afterall Yoruba have Ilaje, whose way of life is similar to Ijaw. We can reasonably say Ilaje is the parent tribe of the Ijaw, and they are Yoruba. Hence Yoruba own Bayelsa state? That should be the topic. Wetin join riverine and ocean people together?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by TewMuch: 3:29pm On Feb 18, 2011
Ibime:

Any place called[b] Kiri Kiri[/b] in Lagos musta been an Ijaw settlement.  cool

This na wetin I dey tell una since.
grin grin grin grin grin grin

(K) alaba (iri)= kiri kiri grin

k (alaba) iri = Igboland grin cheesy
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Ibime(m): 3:36pm On Feb 18, 2011
^^There is no Ijaw town without at least one compound or family with kiri in the name

Kiri ke - Okrika

Borokiri

Owubokiri

Tarakiri

Ekpirikiri

Kala-Orubokiri

Canus-kiri

Inibomoyekiri

Imbebekiri

Fekorukiri

Kiripogu-Iwokiri

Kponogbokiri

Kinkiamakiri

Kponogbokiri

Kiri-Kasamma

Iwokiri

Okokokiri

Otumakiri

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by TewMuch: 3:41pm On Feb 18, 2011
Ibime:

^^There is no Ijaw town without at least one compound or family with kiri in the name

Kiri ke - Okrika

Borokiri

Owubokiri

Tarakiri

Ekpirikiri

Kala-Orubokiri

Canus-kiri

Inibomoyekiri

Imbebekiri

Fekorukiri

Kiripogu-Iwokiri

Kponogbokiri

Kinkiamakiri

Kponogbokiri

Kiri-Kasamma

Iwokiri

Okokokiri

Otumakiri

grin grin grin

Can be translated to have yoruba meaning's as well. Though hilarious. So your point is grin. That mean's we own Bayelsa. I am about to make up something meaningless to prove this.
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Nobody: 3:43pm On Feb 18, 2011
Hahaha na wa for oil and its attendant wahala.
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Nobody: 3:45pm On Feb 18, 2011
Kiri means walking around in yoruba. If the place was a holding port for slaves, there you have it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by aljharem(m): 4:11pm On Feb 18, 2011
wahala dey for southern nigeria grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by PhysicsRND(m): 4:21pm On Feb 18, 2011
Interesting post, but how do we know that the Ijaws didn't just move there after Lagos started growing? Remember that the Ijaws moved around a lot. They were spread out into separated clans sharing a common language/linguistic characteristic.

The presence of "Ijos" in many places other than what is now Bayelsa, Rivers, and Delta, was noted by early European explorers (Portuguese explorers, Richard Burton, etc.) who were exploring those other places, but there was no evidence that they had actually preceded the "main" groups that were there in settling in those locations, and it's even likely, given their huge involvement in trade, that they moved there after others had established commercially relevant city-states, cities, or villages.

(Just stating the obvious.)
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Nobody: 4:22pm On Feb 18, 2011
These ppl and Lagos wahala sha.
Yest Lagos was Igbos (90%), today, Lagos belongs to the Ijaws. LOL who is next jare grin grin
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by redsun(m): 4:27pm On Feb 18, 2011
Cities are the creations of evolved/ing minds not tribal or cave minds.
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by jason123: 4:36pm On Feb 18, 2011
These people are funny. All these expansionist agenda and roughing of feathers of the Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo can only lead to a possible genocide which I do not pray for. The OPC has already fought them in lagos and Ondo state. It is my people I really pity cry
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by isalegan2: 5:11pm On Feb 18, 2011
Hey!  Either the original author is smoking the good s#*t or there is something to this.  As they say, there is nothing new under the sun.

Anything is possible, but I never heard this before. 

We must look at it further:
1) We need Katsumoto, Kilode, Aigbofa and any of our Yoruba/Nigeria historians;
2) I will be talking to my Awori mom in a couple of hours; will ask her if she ever heard that the Ijaw/Ijo people settled Eko. 

I don't mind at all.  We are all one.

[img]http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/image/design/3313014/type/png/width/280/height/280[/img]
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Nobody: 5:17pm On Feb 18, 2011
isale_gan2:

Hey!  Either the original author is smoking the good s#*t or there is something to this.  As they say, there is nothing new under the sun.

Anything is possible, but I never heard this before. 

We must look at it further:
1) We need Katsumoto, Kilode, Aigbofa and any of our Yoruba historians;
2) I will be talking to my Awori mom in a couple of hours; will ask her if she ever heard that the Ijaw/Ijo people settled Eko. 

I don't mind at all.  We are all one.

[img]http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/image/design/3313014/type/png/width/280/height/280[/img]

Ask her if she's Ijaw grin
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Chyz2: 5:20pm On Feb 18, 2011
Ijaws= fulanis of the south. grin

2 Likes

Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by isalegan2: 5:22pm On Feb 18, 2011
ziddy:

Ask her if she's Ijaw grin

What if she is?  Isn't an Ijaw a human being?  tongue

Our President Goodluck is Ijaw nau.  wink
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Chyz2: 5:26pm On Feb 18, 2011
We, the Ijaw (Ijo, Izon) inhabiting the Niger Delta and coastal regions of Nigeria, stretching from Apoi/Arogbo in Lagos State in the West to Ibeno on the banks of the Qua Iboe River in Akwa Ibom State in the East of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, in territories herein stated as follows:

The territories of the indigenous Ijaw communities from the Apoi and Arogbo clans in Lagos State;

The territories of the indigenous Ijaw communities from the Apoi and Arogbo clans in Ondo State;

The territories of the indigenous Egbema, Olodiama, Furupagha and Okomu clans in Edo State;

http://www.ijawfoundation.org/resolution_001_08.htm
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by ShangoThor(m): 5:32pm On Feb 18, 2011
According to research, the Ilaje (Mahins et al) have always had a very early presence in Lagos. If you do a Google maps search for Mahin you will understand why.

However, the Ilaje trace their roots back to Oduduwa, and are affiliated with the Yoruba (fact). Nevertheless, they do share a river dependant life style and relationship with the Ijaw, so much so that they are intertwined but at the same time distinctive groups. They also share a common deity, Ayelala (a god against treachery, wickedness, dishonesty and evil), which legend has it ironically came into being due to a conflict between both the Ijaw and the Ilaje.

This is ‘OUR’ anthropological story of Human Evolution in the Niger Delta, and Southern Nigeria, we are all intertwined.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by EzeUche2(m): 5:35pm On Feb 18, 2011
These Ijaws boys are so warlike. They are an aggressive bunch. Ijaws do not care who they fight.  shocked

Ijaws vs. Ilaje (Yoruba)

Ijaws vs. Itsekiri

Ijaws vs. Ibibio

Ijaws vs. Ikwerre (Igbo)
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Nobody: 5:41pm On Feb 18, 2011
The  Ijaws must be Bini then since every minority tribe is claiming to have ruled over a majority ethnic ''yoruba '' .
Na wa o !
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Chyz2: 5:44pm On Feb 18, 2011
EzeUche_:

These Ijaws boys are so warlike. They are an aggressive bunch. Ijaws do not care who they fight.  shocked

[b][s]Ijaws vs. Ilaje (Yoruba)

Ijaws vs. Itsekiri[/s]

Ijaws vs. Ibibio

Ijaws vs. Ikwerre (Igbo)
[/b]

Their fighting has got them nowhere, as far as taking land. Both the Ilaje and Itsekiri got the OPC to come and punish them. The Ikwere(Igbo)came with cults and punnished them plus Gov. Amaechi is driving them completely out of Port Harcourt. Im starting to notice that Ijaws attack groups whose name state with an "I" grin.
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by step1: 5:45pm On Feb 18, 2011
isale_gan2:

What if she is?  Isn't an Ijaw a human being?  tongue

Our President Goodluck is Ijaw nau.  wink

I am also an Awori man from Isele eko, but the question is how can be called Ijaw :beats me
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Nobody: 5:50pm On Feb 18, 2011
step1:

I am also an Awori man from Isele eko, but the question is how can be called Ijaw :beats me
Don't mind that lost tribe that don't even know its origin;always trying to claim anywhere they found water.why can't they go to Argungun to claim their water or land.Are they not destined to live in water ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

APC Endorses Omo Agege As Deputy Senate President / Akeredolu To Miyetti Allah: Do Your Worst, Anti-Open Grazing Law Stays / Why Is Buhari Rising In Popularity?---Punch Newspaper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.