Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,100 members, 7,818,287 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:02 PM

What Kind Of Skill Can A Mechanical Engineer Learn? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Kind Of Skill Can A Mechanical Engineer Learn? (1573 Views)

Which Skill Can I Learn With My Phone And Data / Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops / What Profitable Skill Can I Learn Now Before The End Of The Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Kind Of Skill Can A Mechanical Engineer Learn? by Thermodynamics(m): 12:56pm On Aug 25, 2020
Hello nairalanders, since I graduated, I've not been able to secure a job, I've applied and applied and applied and applied, all my efforts so far to secure a job have proved abortive. I'm tired of seating at home and want to learn a skill that can put food on my table but I don't want to learn anything that'll not boost my CV.

For instance, if I had a degree in computer engineering/science i can comfortably go ahead to learn laptop or phone repairs since I know that if I secure a job tomorrow, I can easily apply my skill in where ever I'll be working.

If I had a degree in electrical engineering, I can easily pair up with an electrician and have a more practical area in my field while putting food on my table.

As for me, I have a degree in mechanical engineering

So I ask, what kind of skill can a mechanical engineer learn that can give a reasonable income and at the same time add some value to his CV.

I'm not a fan of "drop your certificate and hustle like a dropout" I have a hustler mindset, but I don't want to do it rashly, i don't want to do something out of my area of specialization.

Generator repairs seem to be somewhat okay, but it's a skill that can only be used in Africa ( Where light is an issue) who knows where one will find himself tomorrow.

Besides Nigeria may start having steady power supply sometime in the future.
Re: What Kind Of Skill Can A Mechanical Engineer Learn? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Aug 25, 2020
Thermodynamics:
Hello nairalanders, since I graduated, I've not been able to secure a job, I've applied and applied and applied and applied, all my efforts so far to secure a job have proved abortive. I'm tired of seating at home and want to learn a skill that can put food on my table but I don't want to learn anything that'll not boost my CV.

For instance, if I had a degree in computer engineering/science i can comfortably go ahead to learn laptop or phone repairs since I know that if I secure a job tomorrow, I can easily apply my skill in where ever I'll be working.

If I had a degree in electrical engineering, I can easily pair up with an electrician and have a more practical area in my field while putting food on my table.

So I ask, what kind of skill can a mechanical engineer learn that can give a reasonable income and at the same time add some value to his CV.

I'm not a fan of "drop your certificate and hustle like a dropout" I have a hustler mindset, but I don't want to do it rashly, i don't want to do something out of my area of specialization.

Generator repairs seem to be somewhat okay, but it's a skill that can only be used in Africa ( Where light is an issue) who knows where one will find himself tomorrow.

That course you studied seems to be beneficial only to those who are connected, I advice you still go for any it-related field
Re: What Kind Of Skill Can A Mechanical Engineer Learn? by uchman(m): 3:46pm On Aug 25, 2020
Thermodynamics:

Do you know why I am crying for you?
You mentioned that computer graduate can go for laptop or phone repairs, Elect elect to electrician and you have forgotten that Mechanical have much skills more than those areas you mentioned...

1) Automobile repairs ( Mechanic workshop)...
2) Welding and fabrication
3) Generators and power plant repairs...
4) Air condition and refrigeration...
5) Minning or Marine engineering...
6) Robotic...
7) Mechatronic...

You can find all the above mentioned for apprenticeships, except maybe 5 and 6...
Be wise bro...

1 Like

Re: What Kind Of Skill Can A Mechanical Engineer Learn? by Midlife: 3:50pm On Aug 25, 2020
This is the issue with studying in Nigeria, the persons exposure is very limited. You studied one of best courses ever and you calling generator repairs.

Dude, mechanical engineering is very broad. The skill that you can easily put on your cv as a mechanical engineer is design, learning CAD softwares and be good at them. I don’t know how viable this is in Nigeria though. However, you could go into IT and learn programming, forget that talk that you are not a computer whatever, you can do it. Do survey which it skill is in demand, put head down learn it and trust me you will be good.

Browse things that improve you, research latest technologies etc where the world is heading too. That’s how you get exposed!

1 Like

Re: What Kind Of Skill Can A Mechanical Engineer Learn? by uchman(m): 3:53pm On Aug 25, 2020
Akamariner:

That course you studied seems to be beneficial only to those who are connected, I advice you still go for any it-related field

After the creation of the world, God handed his tools to the Engineers.

The whole world revolves around mechanical...
Tell me one thing that was not designed by Mechanical Engineers, directly or indirectly?

Do your research properly...
I stand to be corrected...
Re: What Kind Of Skill Can A Mechanical Engineer Learn? by Midlife: 3:56pm On Aug 25, 2020
uchman:

Tell me one thing that was not designed by Mechanical Engineers, directly or indirectly?

I don’t think he is bashing the course,
He is just saying that in Nigeria, getting a job in that field needs connection.
I stand to be corrected sha
Re: What Kind Of Skill Can A Mechanical Engineer Learn? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:02pm On Aug 25, 2020
Bros mechanical engineering is a very shitty course. I did marine engineering which is a subset of mechanical engineering and the jobs do not even exist. It is not a matter of applying. Go online on job sites and you would hardly see any jobs for mechanical engineers. It is also the same for petroleum, chemical and a lot of other sectors of engineering.

Better to go for something IT related. My friend studied mechanical engineering and is presently self learning data science. Just take any field of IT. Networking, web development, game development, enterprise applications, data science, mobile development and start learning. There are so many jobs in IT.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Kind Of Skill Can A Mechanical Engineer Learn? by uchman(m): 4:02pm On Aug 25, 2020
Midlife:

He is just saying that in Nigeria, getting a job in that field needs connection.

Check my post and understand that every graduate In Nigeria needs connection, irrespective of the course studied...

Mechanical is a course that you dont even need to work for someone but to be self employed...

Check out the name, Mechanical Engineering...
Everything is all about Mechanical in this world, the course doesn't need advertisement...

I am also a Mechanical Engineer, did apprenticeship with an Automobile company and today, I am self employed...

Mechanical Engineering is not a course you will depend on what you read but more practise...

Learn Mechanic work, learn generator repairs, learn welding and fabrication...

Just learn something...

1 Like

Re: What Kind Of Skill Can A Mechanical Engineer Learn? by Midlife: 4:08pm On Aug 25, 2020
uchman:

Check my post and understand that every graduate In Nigeria needs connection, irrespective of the course studied...

Mechanical is a course that you dont even need to work for someone but to be self employed...

Everything is all about Mechanical in this world, the course doesn't need advertisement...

Bro if you truly want to establish a business in mechanical engineering, you need a lot of capital! Nigeria is also not a good place to start such a business, no electricity, the manufacturing industry is dead, to even buy the machines you’d need to setup something, Omo the money no be here o.

Why study a 5 year program to repair generators, common bro! You could just cut that time by 1/5th do apprenticeship and you would be 4 years on the job by now!
Baba think big!
Re: What Kind Of Skill Can A Mechanical Engineer Learn? by Midlife: 4:14pm On Aug 25, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
Bros mechanical engineering is a very shitty course. I did marine engineering which is a subset of mechanical engineering and the jobs do not even exist. It is not a matter of applying. Go online on job sites and you would hardly see any jobs for mechanical engineers. It is also the same for petroleum, chemical and a lot of other sectors of engineering.

Better to go for something IT related. My friend studied mechanical engineering and is presently self learning data science. Just take any field of IT. Networking, web development, game development, enterprise applications, data science, mobile development and start learning. There are so many jobs in IT.
If there is any advice I’d give any body is to study IT. That’s just the future.
Re: What Kind Of Skill Can A Mechanical Engineer Learn? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:17pm On Aug 25, 2020
Midlife:

If there is any advice I’d give any body is to study IT. That’s just the future.
Honestly Bros. Most engineering courses are useless in today's world except electrical engineering and computer engineering.
Re: What Kind Of Skill Can A Mechanical Engineer Learn? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Aug 25, 2020
uchman:

I never dispute your argument, I'm only talking about the reality in Nigeria
Re: What Kind Of Skill Can A Mechanical Engineer Learn? by Thermodynamics(m): 12:14am On Aug 26, 2020
Akamariner:

Noted.

1 Like

Re: What Kind Of Skill Can A Mechanical Engineer Learn? by Thermodynamics(m): 12:25am On Aug 26, 2020
uchman:

Do you know why I am crying for you?
You mentioned that computer graduate can go for laptop or phone repairs, Elect elect to electrician and you have forgotten that Mechanical have much skills more than those areas you mentioned...

1) Automobile repairs ( Mechanic workshop)...
2) Welding and fabrication
3) Generators and power plant repairs...
4) Air condition and refrigeration...
5) Minning or Marine engineering...
6) Robotic...
7) Mechatronic...

You can find all the above mentioned for apprenticeships, except maybe 5 and 6...
Be wise bro...

Power plant repairs
Air condition and refrigeration
Minning or Marine engineering
Robotic and Mechatronic

These particular skill set you mentioned up there won't put food on my table at the moment, they can only be helpful in securing a job, what if I was unable to secure a job in a company after learning?

As for welding, I can't do that, it has a long term effect on the eyes.
The only thing I've really considered is being a mechanic, but learning how to fix cars mean you have to open your own workshop when you're done learning, and that will cost money of which I don't have for now, renting of land and all.
Re: What Kind Of Skill Can A Mechanical Engineer Learn? by Thermodynamics(m): 12:31am On Aug 26, 2020
uchman:

I am also a Mechanical Engineer, did apprenticeship with an Automobile company and today, I am self employed...

Mechanical Engineering is not a course you will depend on what you read but more practise...

Learn Mechanic work, learn generator repairs, learn welding and fabrication...

Just learn something...

You said you're self employed, do you own your own mechanic shop?
If yes, was it difficult to start in terms of finance?
Re: What Kind Of Skill Can A Mechanical Engineer Learn? by Thermodynamics(m): 12:36am On Aug 26, 2020
Midlife:

I have a friend who is very good in programming, he knows up to 5 programming languages, from what I can see, he doesn't get much money from the coding stuff, he gets jobs once in a while.
Re: What Kind Of Skill Can A Mechanical Engineer Learn? by Xeeex: 3:01pm On Sep 07, 2020
Thermodynamics:

Oga, I see that you're a mechanical engineer but it seems like you are limiting yourself with the options you are giving yourself.

I'm also an undergraduate mechanical engineer but I'm learning web development. I know it doesn't relate to engineering but the goal is to have skills that will open doors. If mechanical engineering doesn't open doors, web development will open doors.

As a mechanical engineer, I advise you to learn solid works and other 3d simulation software in engineering.

I saw your other thread about choosing a school in Germany, lol, Google can solve that if you're ready. And start learning German
Re: What Kind Of Skill Can A Mechanical Engineer Learn? by Universerjob: 10:50pm On Mar 26, 2023
Yes God handed is tools to engineer but not in Nigeria.... If u are not one of us (mechanical engineer). you won't understand what this guy was saying 😢
uchman:

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Going To School Or Working: Which One Do You Prefer? / Master's Advice.. Please Help Me / Best HR Joke In The World!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.