Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,651 members, 7,816,669 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:51 PM

Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments (19646 Views)

Baba-ahmed Of The Labour Party Raises Concerns About Fake Social Media Accounts / CAMA: CAN Sues FG, Asks Government Not To Interfere In Church Managenent / Buhari’s title: No law states how a President should be addressed - NBA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by MANofMEN(m): 11:36pm On Aug 27, 2020
OFFICE OF THE VICE PRESIDENT
PRESS RELEASE

OSINBAJO TO CHURCH LEADERS:
CONCERNS ABOUT CAMA CAN BE ADDRESSED THROUGH AMMENDMENT BY NATIONAL ASSEMBLY

*VP adds: “We are in a democracy, there is a process by which things can be done”

In an effort to allay fears expressed by the leadership of the Church about the recently enacted Companies and Allied Matters Act (CAMA) 2020, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, SAN has said concerns can be processed through possible amendment of the contentious section of the law through a proposal to the National Assembly.

The Vice President stated this on Thursday during a special conversation at the ongoing Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) Annual General Conference.

Responding to a question about reactions to CAMA, the Vice President said “what can be done is that, whatever the proposal for amendment may be, whatever the views of the leadership of the church may be, regarding the question of how the trustees, whether they are interim trustees or not, can be put in the form of a proposal that will be taken to the National Assembly for consideration for amendment to the law, that is the process which is entirely opened and ought to be pursued.”

Continuing, Prof. Osinbajo said “we are in a democracy and there is a process by which things can be done and that process is the one where you bring forward amendments to the National Assembly and they will do whatever is considered useful in the circumstance.”

Further clarifying the CAMA law, the Vice President said “it is a massive legislation that covers a wide range of issues on companies - general meetings, appointment of directors etc. Now, there is a small portion of it called the Incorporated Trustees Section, that small section of it is the section that regulates charities.

“Churches, Mosques and church organizations are regarded as charities. It is the Incorporated Trustees Section of the Companies and Allied Matters Act that has become controversial. And because churches are charities, the provisions in the incorporated trustees section obviously affect the churches.”

Speaking about the fears expressed by the Church, the Vice President said “what the Churches are concerned about is a provision that says that in the event that some wrong-doing is found to be perpetrated by the trustees of the particular organization or Church, the Registrar-General of the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) can go to court and get an order to appoint interim administrators or interim trustees for the Church or whichever charity organization and manage the organization.”

“The concern of the Churches is that it could lead to a situation where practically anybody could be appointed as a trustee to oversee the Church and a Church or a Mosque is a spiritual organization and if you do not share the same faith with the Church or Mosque, you may be the wrong person and if a wrong is appointed, you may create more trouble for the organization,” the Vice President added.

When asked by the moderator (Nduka Ogbeibena) if pastors are, by their actions, unwilling to be accountable in the management of their organizations, the Vice President said the issue is rather the fear of abuse of the law than avoiding accountability.

According to Prof. Osinbajo, “As a general position, I do not think it will be right to say that pastors don’t want to be accountable. I believe that several Christian organizations and pastors are willing to be accountable. The problems that they may have is ensuring that processes are not abused in such a way as to compromise the entire organization. And I think that if all that is required is some process of accountability, I think it will be easier for organizations to accept that.”

Laolu Akande
Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media & Publicity
Office of the Vice President
27th August 2020

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by Divisco(m): 11:43pm On Aug 27, 2020
[why is this man still one of RCCG pastor

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by Is04970: 11:47pm On Aug 27, 2020
Nice discourse.
CAN should have a liason office in the national assembly to keep them abreast of regulations inimical to the church.

70 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by AngusTV: 11:49pm On Aug 27, 2020
It will make sense

Meanwhile, I sell kiddies entertainment and educational tablets. Do well to call me let’s talk business

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by RuddyFusion(m): 11:52pm On Aug 27, 2020
Osibade is only speaking grammar

And for those quoting me below ...I stand by my submission that Osibade just spoke mere political grammar

Just like his statement on Southern Kaduna matter , what can he do after the grammar? Can he redirect the cause of the cabals who are bent on achieving a particular aim and purpose with this law?

Does he have any influence over them? Nope.....

I know what he want to achieve with his current streams of statements and comments on what the rulers of Nigeria are pursuing and those with eye can see that clearly....

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by MikkieEl: 11:59pm On Aug 27, 2020
MANofMEN:
OFFICE OF THE VICE PRESIDENT
PRESS RELEASE

OSINBAJO TO CHURCH LEADERS:
CONCERNS ABOUT CAMA CAN BE ADDRESSED THROUGH AMMENDMENT BY NATIONAL ASSEMBLY

*VP adds: “We are in a democracy, there is a process by which things can be done”

In an effort to allay fears expressed by the leadership of the Church about the recently enacted Companies and Allied Matters Act (CAMA) 2020, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, SAN has said concerns can be processed through possible amendment of the contentious section of the law through a proposal to the National Assembly.

The Vice President stated this on Thursday during a special conversation at the ongoing Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) Annual General Conference.

Responding to a question about reactions to CAMA, the Vice President said “what can be done is that, whatever the proposal for amendment may be, whatever the views of the leadership of the church may be, regarding the question of how the trustees, whether they are interim trustees or not, can be put in the form of a proposal that will be taken to the National Assembly for consideration for amendment to the law, that is the process which is entirely opened and ought to be pursued.”

Continuing, Prof. Osinbajo said “we are in a democracy and there is a process by which things can be done and that process is the one where you bring forward amendments to the National Assembly and they will do whatever is considered useful in the circumstance.”

Further clarifying the CAMA law, the Vice President said “it is a massive legislation that covers a wide range of issues on companies - general meetings, appointment of directors etc. Now, there is a small portion of it called the Incorporated Trustees Section, that small section of it is the section that regulates charities.

“Churches, Mosques and church organizations are regarded as charities. It is the Incorporated Trustees Section of the Companies and Allied Matters Act that has become controversial. And because churches are charities, the provisions in the incorporated trustees section obviously affect the churches.”

Speaking about the fears expressed by the Church, the Vice President said “what the Churches are concerned about is a provision that says that in the event that some wrong-doing is found to be perpetrated by the trustees of the particular organization or Church, the Registrar-General of the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) can go to court and get an order to appoint interim administrators or interim trustees for the Church or whichever charity organization and manage the organization.”

“The concern of the Churches is that it could lead to a situation where practically anybody could be appointed as a trustee to oversee the Church and a Church or a Mosque is a spiritual organization and if you do not share the same faith with the Church or Mosque, you may be the wrong person and if a wrong is appointed, you may create more trouble for the organization,” the Vice President added.

When asked by the moderator (Nduka Ogbeibena) if pastors are, by their actions, unwilling to be accountable in the management of their organizations, the Vice President said the issue is rather the fear of abuse of the law than avoiding accountability.

According to Prof. Osinbajo, “As a general position, I do not think it will be right to say that pastors don’t want to be accountable. I believe that several Christian organizations and pastors are willing to be accountable. The problems that they may have is ensuring that processes are not abused in such a way as to compromise the entire organization. And I think that if all that is required is some process of accountability, I think it will be easier for organizations to accept that.”

Laolu Akande
Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media & Publicity
Office of the Vice President
27th August 2020

The abuse is as inevitable as death.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by yerokunphilips: 12:07am On Aug 28, 2020
Wait ooo don't we have Christian in the house when the so called law was passed ? What were the Christian law makers looking ,? Some people are blaming Mr President for this ? Mr President is not the problem here, is our Christian law makers that should carry all the insults .
I think is time for CAN to call all Christian law makers and explain the sensitivity of such bill to them ,and pick one of them to lead the needed amendment of the law .
ONE THING I KNOW FOR SURE ,IF THE VICE PRESIDENT IS THE PRESIDENT THAT BILL ,WON'T SEE THE LIGHT OF THE DAY . CHRISTIAN ARE TOO DOCILE ON THE ISSUE OF THEIR FAITH ,DO YOU THINK MY MUSLIMS BROTHERS IS ACCEPT SUCH BILL IN THE HOUSE ? WE ARE PEACE LOVING DOESN'T MEAN WE SHOULD BE FOOLISH . DO YOU HEAR WHAT THE GOVERNOR OF KANO SAID ,HE IS READY TO SIGN THE KILLING OF THAT MAN .HE IS DEFENDING HIS FAITH , CHRISTIAN TOO SHOULD STAND UP AND DEFEND THEIR FAITH LEGALLY AND PEACEFUL .
BEING A CHRISTIAN IS NOT SAME AS BEING STUPID .
WE SHOULD ALWAYS REMEMBER TURKEY THE HOME OF APOSTLE PAUL .
CHURCH SHOULD STAND UP AND DEFEND THIS FAITH , WITHOUT CARRYING STICK NOR GUNS.
GET THE BEST WRITERS LET THEM START WRITING AGAINST THE LAW AND CALL FOR AMENDMENT . TALK TO CHRISTIAN SANS TO STAND UP , FOR THEIR FAITH .
THANKS THE VICE PRESIDENT FOR SHOWING US THE WAY OUT .
GOD BLESS CHRISTIANS , MUSLIMS , TRADITIONAL WORSHIPPERS AND OTHER RELIGION.
GOD MR PRESIDENT
GOD BLESS THE VICE PRESIDENT
GOD BLESS NIGERIA

53 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by Nobody: 12:10am On Aug 28, 2020
The abuse is just inevitable. We are Nigerians we know what we can do. When Jonathan wanted to remove Sanusi, despite his bragging of independent of CBN governor...all Oga jona did was look for a law that makes it easy to remove him and he found one and used that to take him out and everybody shock....

So na so...That law must be amended.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by unclemaths(m): 12:12am On Aug 28, 2020
I don't know shit about CAMA but this I know:
KAMA is a bitch!

What goes around comes around.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by abitex577(m): 12:27am On Aug 28, 2020
So they could not have seen it before passing it into law? If it where to sign the electoral reforms into law, it will be sent to the assembly more than 5 times...

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by techmo(m): 1:50am On Aug 28, 2020
cool

This man is so intelligent

Rather than wail endlessly seek an amendment

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by osarog: 3:59am On Aug 28, 2020
I support CAMA in its entirety. Pastors are scammers. They collect tithe and offering from the poor to build hospitals and schools for the rich. Buy Private jets and live opulently.

One day government will be in total control of all the money the gullible in our society give to these organized religious scamming bodies. We are busy studying what Abraham and Moses did hundreds of years ago while the rest of the world are releasing mind blowing inventions every now and then.

I am totally against these imported organized religions that seem to be what is holding us back in terms of development and keeping us in perpetual poverty. From the one that promotes terrorism and kills people in the name of blasphemy in this time and age to the one that deceitfully collects money from the poor in the form of tithe and offering to build hospitals and schools that the poor cannot attend.
***spits on the two dominant religions in Nigeria**

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by MrColdsweat: 4:03am On Aug 28, 2020
Using grammar to mask his ineptitude, cowardice and to deceive the fools.

Fulani commit genocide in Benue, you go for the burial in benue, you speak grammar, no action.

Fulani commit genocide in Kaduna, you speak grammar, no action. No change.

Christianity has been under serious attack. Christians have been killed gruesomely under buhari. VP has done absolutely nothing for the christian community since 2015

Satanic government.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by MrColdsweat: 4:09am On Aug 28, 2020
osarog:
I support CAMA in its entirety. Pastors are scammers. They collect tithe and offering from the poor to build hospitals and schools for the rich.

If there's anyone to moderate Christianity in Nigeria, it should not be this satanic government that has deliberately aided in the slaughter of Christians.

It should not be this administration that has released terrorists.

It should not be this administration that set herdsmen and boko haram free. That pay killers to stop killing people.

Christians must reject this satanic imposition.

56 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by aremuforlife(m): 5:24am On Aug 28, 2020
[/quote][quote author=MrColdsweat post=93302350]

If there's anyone to moderate Christianity in Nigeria, it should not be this satanic government that has deliberately aided in the slaughter of Christians.

It should not be this administration that has released terrorists.

It should not be this administration that set herdsmen and boko haram free. That pay killers to stop killing people.

Christians must reject this satanic imposition.
Who should it be?
Why are they afraid of the law?
It's like the Christians leaders are afraid of accountability.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by backnbeta(f): 5:42am On Aug 28, 2020
I'm glad he actually understands that accountability is not the problem here but the fear of abuse of the law by the government agencies involved, and that has been the argument all along! If it was about being accountable alone, it wouldn't have generated do much heat. I wonder why he has not used his good office to put CAN through on what to do to correct this and he had to wait till he was asked this question by the NBA before telling them what they can do. I hope CAN does the needful soon.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by Macphenson: 6:30am On Aug 28, 2020
Okooo
Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by Onlinealaba(m): 6:40am On Aug 28, 2020
Medicine after death, grammar and big grammar, the Christian legislators at the upper chamber were probably sleeping when the bill passed second reading

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by Peacemaker5129(f): 6:40am On Aug 28, 2020
We are not amending anything let the status quo remain.
Pastors are assisting politicians to launder our money in the name of tit

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by CodeTemplar: 6:40am On Aug 28, 2020
I hope so.
Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by Lorechino(m): 6:40am On Aug 28, 2020
Grammar VP =zero action
I don't want to talk about ze oza zuum Darling

Am waiting to hear Kama,, sorry Cama to ask native doctors to come n register.

That one as them take announce am na so them go come denounce am.
Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:41am On Aug 28, 2020
Profayo:
Does this ACT also applies to Muslims?
Yes, but did you hear any Mosques or Alhajis making an issue of this so far?

We rest our case!
We are watching the outcome.

Section 839 (1) and (2) provides that religious bodies and non-governmental organisations will be strictly regulated by the Registrar-General of Corporate Affairs Commission, CAC, and a supervising minister.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by Nobody: 6:41am On Aug 28, 2020
Osinbajo, Pastor RUGA

https://www.nairaland.com/6061757/osinbajo-pastor-ruga-n100bn-alpha

If it were to be ruga, u will ask nigeria and Nigerians to accept but cama can only be addressed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by phemmie06(m): 6:41am On Aug 28, 2020
I believe we have some religious leaders in the house but none of them take a proactive step. What if someone from another denomination or religion is chosen to head another church or religion.
Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:41am On Aug 28, 2020
God save us........

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by Nobody: 6:42am On Aug 28, 2020
THE LAWS OF CAMA. IT WILL ONLY GO AGAINST THE GUILTY. CAMA IS A BITCH

3 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments by martineverest(m): 6:42am On Aug 28, 2020
Is04970:
Nice discourse.
CAN should have a liason office in the national assembly to keep them abreast of regulations inimical to the church.
I'm a Christian.the law. wasn't meant for Christians alone,why are they the only one lamenting?

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ahmed Idris Got N15bn Bribe To Fast-Track Payment To Oil-Producing States - EFCC / Segun Awosanya: Obi's Supporters Are Violating Freedom Of Expression Of Others / President Buhari Meets NNPC GMD Over Lingering Fuel Crises

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.