Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,673 members, 7,844,218 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 04:31 PM

Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? (20026 Views)

Is Messi The Most Selfless Footballer In History? / Garba Lawal: Victor Osimhen’s €60m Price Tag Outrageous / Cristiano Ronaldo's ₦6.5b Bugatti:9 Things You Could Buy With The Price Tag (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by seun9303: 9:44am On Sep 02, 2020
updatechange:
Op face your business and stop wandering around, grin Messi is a very good player tho I'm not a fan of his.
I believe him working with pep would make a great deal for Man city's quest for champions League winning cos the team will surely be built around him and hence some magic wink
build the team around a 33 year old...? I am not understanding �

1 Like

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Odunolumide(m): 9:45am On Sep 02, 2020
iammo:
Messi is worth every penny Man City propose to sign him with

700million
You are deluded

2 Likes

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by ForeThinker: 9:47am On Sep 02, 2020
Probably not about Messi..but to shame Barca
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by emae009(m): 9:47am On Sep 02, 2020
HenryHenry177:
I'm a messi fan but if messi leaves barca ,barca will rise again .messi does not help defensively and its killing the team and secondly he is losing his pace making him short of point offensively

when has Messi ever helped out defensively?? Does Lewandowski, Ronaldo, Hazard, and their likes help in defense?? No, the help by pressing the opposing team. that has been Barca major problem over the years, they don't do that anymore instead they revert back to zonal defending when they lose the ball because they players in the team though talented don't have the energy to press aggressively for majority of the match. you see that when Puig play, how he press and pursue every ball, that's why barca fans have been angry with the coaches and board.
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by tuzle(m): 9:49am On Sep 02, 2020
Only ignorant people will claim Messi is worth that amount at 33. Even Messi in is prime isn't worth the amount. The money we are talking about can buy Ronaldo, Neymar, mbappe, lewandoski, de bruyne at the same time and u will still get change. U can't tell me messi is better than does players I listed. So it will be a waste when u can get him for free the year after. Even spending 200m on Messi is a waste.

3 Likes

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by emae009(m): 9:49am On Sep 02, 2020
seun9303:

A 33 years old that has a better stats than the EPL PFA player of the year??
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Captaincee(m): 9:51am On Sep 02, 2020
updatechange:
Op face your business and stop wandering around, grin Messi is a very good player tho I'm not a fan of his.
I believe him working with pep would make a great deal for Man city's quest for champions League winning cos the team will surely be built around him and hence some magic wink
you've said it all smiley

2 Likes

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by emae009(m): 9:52am On Sep 02, 2020
tuzle:
Only ignorant people will claim Messi is worth that amount at 33. Even Messi in is prime isn't worth the amount. The money we are talking about can buy Ronaldo, Neymar, mbappe, lewandoski, de bruyne at the same time and u will still get change. U can't tell me messi is better than does players I listed. So it will be a waste when u can get him for free the year after. Even spending 200m on Messi is a waste.

last season being Messi allegedly worst season, he has a better dribbling stats than Neymar, scored more goals than Mbappe, had more assists than KDB, more goal contribution than Ronaldo, only Lewandowski had more and that's was in his worst season o!

6 Likes

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Nobody: 9:52am On Sep 02, 2020
pyyxxaro:
Abacha’s family should buy him , so that he can play for Kano Pillars
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Seunfretty: 9:53am On Sep 02, 2020
I tink his getting old which is aceptable ofcourse ...but his output is still staggeringly high....meanwhile the question we should ask is diff....the question we should ask is...in europe bsides his goal tally that dropped a little....is there any players who is better than him in every other output in attack?......the sincere question is a big NO..." and if anybody thinks otherwise then please mention any better player "....in view of this messi is worth everypenny.....his still the best all round attacker in the world....no debate

2 Likes

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by updatechange(m): 9:53am On Sep 02, 2020
seun9303:

Quote me anywhere, the team will be built around him the coach is pep and he would greatly influence the success of Messi at the club...
Cos he knows Messi without a very good midfield is a useless player any day grin
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Angelfrost(m): 9:55am On Sep 02, 2020
No player in this universe is currently worth more than 250 Million Pounds... Not a damn one!!!

Even a god who plays football with wings of gold as feet, and misses not a single shot on target even from a poorly placed pass, can never be worth the nonsense amount Barcelona is calling for Messi (who is no where near godhood, thank you)!!!

1 Like

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Sanchez01: 9:56am On Sep 02, 2020
Afam4eva:
Some people always think they know more than the club that wants to buy him. When Juventus were buying Ronado, we didn't hear all this talk of his age and bla bla bla. Now that it's mercy, Ronaldo fan boys will not allow us hear word.

Of course Man City know that he's not young, so they know why they're buying him. Even at his age, he's still better than most footballers in the world and his name alone will rake in millions in revenue for Man city through Jersey sales and endorsements.

Let it rest.
The difference: Ronaldo's fee wasn't neck-breaking. This is football and we know no club in the world can sign a €700 million player without violating the FFP rules. Heck, City, as a club is not that wealthy to splash €700 million on signing players in a single season. NOTE THAT THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CITY AS A CLUB AND ITS OWNERS.

It has been established time and time again again that Messi is nowhere marketable compared to Ronaldo. No doubt, he will make the club money with increased fans, jersey sales and possibly a rise in stock but City won't recoup the €700 million on Messi alone, not even in 2 seasons. And there is the issue of his jumbo salary. City will definitely be running a deficit but it is obvious they don't care as they want Messi at all cost.

Barcelona knew from day one that no club will be able to afford the €700 million release clause. It was only an attempt to keep him at bay, which is why Barcelona is obstinate, to date.

Other than the fact that he is aging, at least he can get to hide under the canopy of Kevin, that is if he doesn't have issues with pairing like he did with Dybala in Argentina.

Guardiola is obsessed with reuniting with Messi. A wise club knows waiting is more profitable here and signing him with whatever salary next season will profit them, knowing they won't be breaking the bank.

No club in the world has the financial muscle to splash €700 million on signing players in a single season without violating the FFP, not even Real Madrid, the world's richest club and no player in the world is worth €700 million, not one.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Panti7: 9:57am On Sep 02, 2020
Niklas Süle - the German National Team possesses the same hunger as Bayern Munich, can win the Euros

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apZZiinN4f0
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Angelfrost(m): 9:58am On Sep 02, 2020
updatechange:

That's not the point sir... Is he or is he not worth over half a Billion Pounds??!

This is how you people fail exams and call lecturers wicked!!! tongue
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Panti7: 9:58am On Sep 02, 2020
Timo werner - 'I will Prove I Can Score In England Like I Did In Germany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljPWiZUzZs4

1 Like

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by PDPdestroyer(m): 9:59am On Sep 02, 2020
Messi is not in a decline, his mind had since left Camp Nou and that had a big effect on his performance judging by his own standards. Even with the 'decline' he still topped the goalscorers and assists chart in Spain. That tells you the kind of phenomenon he is, he's worth any huge price tag

3 Likes

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Juanmike(m): 10:01am On Sep 02, 2020
Eiber man
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Ifybwoy7: 10:02am On Sep 02, 2020
omooba969:
Messi is not about football only, he's a global brand - Messi is soccer & world soccer is Messi.

Anywhere he goes, he puts the place on the map and he attracts the spotlights to the place. His popularity also attracts investment to wherever he pitches his tent - think about it.

Messi is in a class of his own!

#Bottomline cool
he is in a class of his own but him chop 8-2 abi, let me tell you ehn if city no buy better players with messi, na chelsea hand them go collect that 8-2 i promise you

1 Like

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by chegbe1104: 10:02am On Sep 02, 2020
Have you forgotten that Messi was not playing at the beginning of the season until after a number of matches? I bet you, Messi is worth any amount any club will pay for him. He is not called the goat for nothing.

2 Likes

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by tfash96(m): 10:03am On Sep 02, 2020
bangging:
with how many champions league6 trophy �?
with 4 ucl.. Is that not fair enough? Half's better than none... Say something else

1 Like

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by updatechange(m): 10:04am On Sep 02, 2020
Angelfrost:

That's not the point sir... Is he or is he not worth over half a Billion Pounds??!

This is how you people fail exams and call lecturers wicked!!! tongue

It's because you dont have the ability to comprehend simple point.
You want me to answer yes or no abi what do u mean by ."is he or is he not worth it"
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Angelfrost(m): 10:04am On Sep 02, 2020
Afam4eva:
Some people always think they know more than the club that wants to buy him. When Juventus were buying Ronado, we didn't hear all this talk of his age and bla bla bla. Now that it's mercy, Ronaldo fan boys will not allow us hear word.

Of course Man City know that he's not young, so they know why they're buying him. Even at his age, he's still better than most footballers in the world and his name alone will rake in millions in revenue for Man city through Jersey sales and endorsements.

Let it rest.

I have to agree on this... The buying club has her reasons for taking such financial gamble.

However, the truth must be said! Messi is not, and can never be worth that amount!!! This is not comparing or hating, this is commonsense fact!

Barcelona didn't put that clause cos they felt he was worth every penny... It was largely to keep clubs away!!! Besides, Messi is not a guarantee of UCL triumph!

Well, good for both clubs if this historical business scales through. I wish them all the best.

2 Likes

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by tuzle(m): 10:04am On Sep 02, 2020
emae009:

last season being Messi allegedly worst season, he has a better dribbling stats than Neymar, scored more goals than Mbappe, had more assists than KDB, more goal contribution than Ronaldo, only Lewandowski had more and that's was in his worst season o!
so are u telling me u will take a Messi to the five players I listed combined?
Even in his best season, was Ronaldo not competing with him. Football is not about how well a player plays, it is about the team winning trophies. Messi is good no doubt but even at his prime when he was better, I won't still pay 700m for him. It is a waste and Messi doesn't guarantee u trophy.

1 Like

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Gbogbowa: 10:06am On Sep 02, 2020
zabuur:
He is Messi. He has a very high commercial value. Do u know the kinda sales any club would make with him in their team, the surge in d number of fans, just name it.that is what you think that 8-2has affected his market value even on Nairaland many of his supporters are disappointed even in mancity he will still fail,what mancity need is someone like Aguero, Lewandoski, Ronando, a sharp shooter and good header not a dribbler
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by hayodejipop: 10:06am On Sep 02, 2020
in field Messi might not av that much ability like b4 but I can bet anything with it,off field that they will get x2 of the money on him
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Angelfrost(m): 10:06am On Sep 02, 2020
updatechange:

It's because you dont have the ability to comprehend simple point.
You want me to answer yes or no abi what do u mean by ."is he or is he not worth it"

Yes, please... It is too early in the day to go trying to find a needle in your grammatical haystack. grin
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by tfash96(m): 10:08am On Sep 02, 2020
tuzle:
u mean combined or individually bkos none of them reaches Messi's level

1 Like

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by tuzle(m): 10:10am On Sep 02, 2020
tfash96:
u mean combined or individually bkos none of them reaches Messi's level
combined and I am looking at the price tag placed on him, so why would it be individual. And another thing u guys ignore is that Messi isn't that much better than Ronaldo no matter how u look at it plus the rest I listed

1 Like

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by updatechange(m): 10:10am On Sep 02, 2020
Angelfrost:

Yes, please... It is too early in the day to go trying to find a needle in your grammatical haystack. grin

Yet someone talking from a lecturer perspective and can't read and understand 5 lines of simple English. Abeg shift.

1 Like

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by CrestMan: 10:10am On Sep 02, 2020
I think it's time for me to finally comment on this 'Messi' matter.

Some of you don't really know that football is beyond 22 players playing a ball on the field. FOOTBALL IS BUSINESS & ENTERTAINMENT!!!

Do you know the number of fans that will migrate to Man City from Nairaland alone not to talk of the entire world? Do you know they can begin to challenge Man Utd as per number of fan base all around the world?

Do you know the amount of revenue from sales of Messi jersey and other accessories?

Do you know the amount of endorsements and sponsorships that will come to Man City because of their new famous-status?

Do you know the amount that will come to the club in form of ticket sales when fans are allowed back?

Do you know the amount both the club and EPL will get from TV rights?

Ask yourself why Laliga and Barcelona are fighting to keep this man.

This is a subtle way to tell the world who the real GOAT is? People should stop arguing blindly.

Thank me.

7 Likes

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by emmyrate1(m): 10:11am On Sep 02, 2020
HenryHenry177:
I'm a messi fan but if messi leaves barca ,barca will rise again .messi does not help defensively and its killing the team and secondly he is losing his pace making him short of point offensively
u just stupid for calling yourself a barca fan, how do you expect him to help the defense we he is the play maker and also the goal scorer of the team. Is he the only player on the pitch? Get out

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Injury: Mikel Obi Out Of AFCON 2019 / Sunday Oliseh Resigns As Fortuna Sittard's Chief Coach / What Do You Have To Say About Nigeria's Coach, José Peseiro So Far?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.