Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,813 members, 7,844,633 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 02:59 AM

Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? (20028 Views)

Is Messi The Most Selfless Footballer In History? / Garba Lawal: Victor Osimhen’s €60m Price Tag Outrageous / Cristiano Ronaldo's ₦6.5b Bugatti:9 Things You Could Buy With The Price Tag (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Ifybwoy7: 10:11am On Sep 02, 2020
EVILFOREST:

How many did RONALDO DE LIMA carry, yet he emerged one of the best players in the World today..
Even better than CR7..?
Must one carry everything...?
Even PELE, the god of soccer didn't lift every trophy.
MARADONA didn't...
Not even Ronaldinho...who lost Olympic Gold Medal..
RONALDO DE LIMA better than CR7. e be things with ronaldo haters o. cr7 in madrid was compared to stefano not ronaldo de lima sha you know

2 Likes

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Nobody: 10:12am On Sep 02, 2020
omooba969:

Hope you'll agree that Messi still has about 5 sweet seasons on his boots.

Think about it.
Why won't you be realistic for once?!
5 Sweet Seasons for a 33 year old player who isn't as influential on the pitch as he once was, who seems a bit of a Diva playing against Bayern.
I repeat,it is outrageous to buy a player who's at the back end of his Career for such a ridiculous amount.
it's just Silly to put a €700m Clause on a messy Goat.
Think about it.

1 Like

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Nobody: 10:12am On Sep 02, 2020
i undastand ur fears Op but u are nt the one paying the money so chill na.. at 33 Messi is stil good enough to compete on the best stages of world football.
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by seun9303: 10:14am On Sep 02, 2020
updatechange:

Quote me anywhere, the team will be built around him the coach is pep and he would greatly influence the success of Messi at the club...
Cos he knows Messi without a very good midfield is a useless player any day grin
lol... I hope he stays at barca though. Hala Madrid!
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Beedude(m): 10:15am On Sep 02, 2020
tfash96:
with 4 ucl.. Is that not fair enough? Half's better than none... Say something else
Someone that has More UCL than Manchester united, Chelsea and Arsenal combine
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by seun9303: 10:18am On Sep 02, 2020
emae009:

A 33 years old that has a better stats than the EPL PFA player of the year??
did you watch the 33 yr old diva against Bayern Munich?

1 Like

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by tfash96(m): 10:18am On Sep 02, 2020
tuzle:
combined and I am looking at the price tag placed on him, so why would it be individual. And another thing u guys ignore is that Messi isn't that much better than Ronaldo no matter how u look at it plus the rest I listed
What is happening these days is more convincing that Messi guy is a rare legend.. Believe me what's happening will take so many years to happen again in this world.. Hope you know it's not only football teams that want him.. My guy the guy is blessed.. Though I agree the money is fucking much stupid Barcelona should cut it to half or better still 250-300m....The money will buy at least 7-10 states in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by focus7: 10:19am On Sep 02, 2020
If you are weighing the value of Messi to the field of football you can talk of declining.

But footballer like Messi and C Rinaldo are more that football pitch, these guys are brands and any club buying them knows what they stands to gain.

Messi departure from Barcelona is going to greatly affect laliga as a whole negatively and is going to bring a boost to whatever league he moves to.

When think of the television right, the sales in t-shirts, the media sales and lot more you will agree that Messi worth much more.
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by tfash96(m): 10:21am On Sep 02, 2020
Beedude:

I wonder for the guy oo but it's the same as man u and Chelsea and Arsenal

Man Utd has 3

Chelsea has 1

Arsenal has 0
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by emae009(m): 10:22am On Sep 02, 2020
tuzle:
so are u telling me u will take a Messi to the five players I listed combined?
Even in his best season, was Ronaldo not competing with him. Football is not about how well a player plays, it is about the team winning trophies. Messi is good no doubt but even at his prime when he was better, I won't still pay 700m for him. It is a waste and Messi doesn't guarantee u trophy.

the only way Ronaldo compares to Messi is when you reduce them both to just stats. Getting one player instead of 5 of similar quality is plain madness. that's not what I meant, the €700m is the gross amount, for the 5 years contract including wages, add-ons, bonuses etc. not just the amount they are proposing to buy him that's more like €250m
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Angelfrost(m): 10:22am On Sep 02, 2020
updatechange:

Yet someone talking from a lecturer perspective and can't read and understand 5 lines of simple English. Abeg shift.

Okay... So, you don't know then... You should have just humbly admitted this initially.

Everything nor be fight... No need wasting words, or going in circles, when a simple statement can suffice... I will gladly shift! It's too early for this.
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Angelfrost(m): 10:24am On Sep 02, 2020
Pr0cter:
Messi has shown to be consistent. He's much very good to be paid even higher.

Really??! Higher than half a Billion??! What did he do last season that Lewandoski and Immobile didn't do even better??!
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by emae009(m): 10:25am On Sep 02, 2020
seun9303:
did you watch the 33 yr old diva against Bayern Munich?

I'm not here for banter B, I just stated a fact. You hate Messi we get it. Calm down

2 Likes

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by OJEEMAH(m): 10:30am On Sep 02, 2020

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by AustineJohn908(m): 10:30am On Sep 02, 2020
Beedude:

Messi has 4 Champion league and both man u n Chelsea have 4...so keep quiet..
Ronaldo has more champions league than Barca as a whole even when he is just 35 and Barca is more than 100 years old. STFU pls

1 Like

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by bignero: 10:35am On Sep 02, 2020
ogbiwa:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53973249

The fact that, your wondering and not sure, means, he still has plenty value
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Babaj145(m): 10:39am On Sep 02, 2020
tuzle:
combined and I am looking at the price tag placed on him, so why would it be individual. And another thing u guys ignore is that Messi isn't that much better than Ronaldo no matter how u look at it plus the rest I listed

Guy forget matter..messi is not better dan ronaldo..situations messi fails, ronaldo excels so also situations where ronaldo fails, messi excels..they are both good in their own right and they both will improve any team they play in..the way messi fans talk about ronaldo u will think he is on harry Kane's level and messi is on maradonna level which is very irritating and disrespectful..

4 Likes

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by charlesm91(m): 10:42am On Sep 02, 2020
Sanchez01:

The difference: Ronaldo's fee wasn't neck-breaking. This is football and we know no club in the world can sign a €700 million player without violating the FFP rules. Heck, City, as a club is not that wealthy to splash €700 million on signing players in a single season. NOTE THAT THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CITY AS A CLUB AND ITS OWNERS.

It has been established time and time again again that Messi is nowhere marketable compared to Ronaldo. No doubt, he will make the club money with increased fans, jersey sales and possibly a rise in stock but City won't recoup the €700 million on Messi alone, not even in 2 seasons. And there is the issue of his jumbo salary. City will definitely be running a deficit but it is obvious they don't care as they want Messi at all cost.

Barcelona knew from day one that no club will be able to afford the €700 million release clause. It was only an attempt to keep him at bay, which is why Barcelona is obstinate, to date.

Other than the fact that he is aging, at least he can get to hide under the canopy of Kevin, that is if he doesn't have issues with pairing like he did with Dybala in Argentina.

Guardiola is obsessed with reuniting with Messi. A wise club knows waiting is more profitable here and signing him with whatever salary next season will profit them, knowing they won't be breaking the bank.

No club in the world has the financial muscle to splash €700 million on signing players in a single season without violating the FFP, not even Real Madrid, the world's richest club and no player in the world is worth €700 million, not one.
really tho you’ve said it all. People mistake man city as a club to its owners. No club has the muscle to finance such deal as it is. Except Barca reduce the fee it just can’t work. Besides it’ll take years for them to recoup the fee and that’s if Messi don’t retire by then.

1 Like

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by barnabasfavour: 10:43am On Sep 02, 2020
Make money posting on social media complete tasks also to earn https://refer.sharetoearn.co/barnabasfavour92
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Amonlyhuman(m): 10:44am On Sep 02, 2020
DSTV has officially named Super Sports 3 Premier League HD.. grin grin grin #TheMessiShow
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Nobody: 10:46am On Sep 02, 2020
Angelfrost:

Really??! Higher than half a Billion??! What did he do last season that Lewandoski and Immobile didn't do even better??!

And for the last 10 years... Where was Lewandowski and immo when Messi was balling and still balling..

2 Likes

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Moura7(m): 10:46am On Sep 02, 2020
CrestMan:
I think it's time for me to finally comment on this 'Messi' matter.

Some of you don't really know that football is beyond 22 players playing a ball on the field. FOOTBALL IS BUSINESS & ENTERTAINMENT!!!

Do you know the number of fans that will migrate to Man City from Nairaland alone not to talk of the entire world? Do you know they can begin to challenge Man Utd as per number of fan base all around the world?

Do you know the amount of revenue from sales of Messi jersey and other accessories?

Do you know the amount of endorsements and sponsorships that will come to Man City because of their new famous-status?

Do you know the amount that will come to the club in form of ticket sales when fans are allowed back?

Do you know the amount both the club and EPL will get from TV rights?

Ask yourself why Laliga and Barcelona are fighting to keep this man.

This is a subtle way to tell the world who the real GOAT is? People should stop arguing blindly.

Thank me.

Preach bro.....that last paragraph?? Simply fire.
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by omooba969(m): 10:47am On Sep 02, 2020
DemonInvoker:

Why won't you be realistic for once?!
5 Sweet Seasons for a 33 year old player who isn't as influential on the pitch as he once was, who seems a bit of a Diva playing against Bayern.
I repeat,it is outrageous to buy a player who's at the back end of his Career for such a ridiculous amount.
it's just Silly to put a €700m Clause on a messy Goat.
Think about it.

Don't act like you know better than those who put the contract together and don't try to refer to Messi's management team as silly for putting pen to paper.

Everyone saw the buy-out clause and all parties were well aware of his age and possible scenarios should Messi wants out.

Messi is a god!

#Bottomline cool

1 Like

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by omooba969(m): 10:49am On Sep 02, 2020
Ifybwoy7:
he is in a class of his own but him chop 8-2 abi, let me tell you ehn if city no buy better players with messi, na chelsea hand them go collect that 8-2 i promise you

You simply lost the crux of the argument.
Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by tuzle(m): 10:49am On Sep 02, 2020
Babaj145:

Guy forget matter..messi is not better dan ronaldo..situations messi fails, ronaldo excels so also situations where ronaldo fails, messi excels..they are both good in their own right and they both will improve any team they play in..the way messi fans talk about ronaldo u will think he is on harry Kane's level and messi is on maradonna level which is very irritating and disrespectful..
i agree with u, just that I don't like arguing with Messi fans. They talk like the gap between them is like the distant between heaven and earth.

1 Like

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Angelfrost(m): 10:54am On Sep 02, 2020
Pimpmaride:

And for the last 10 years... Where was Lewandowski and immo when Messi was balling and still balling..

Last ten years, no one made an offer to buy him, neither did Barcelona place a price tag...

Let's stay in the present sir... Would you honestly dole out half a Billion for this current 33 year old Messi??! Is that financially sensible or prudent??!

In a Man City team or even PSG, by how much would Messi outshine players like Lewandoski, Mbappe, or Neymar??! By how much exactly that he should cost over 4 times more than each of them??!

You don't pay half way to a Billion for the past or fading glory of a player... Such a fee should secure you at least 4 glorious years of domestic and European unrivalled dominance!!! Messi can't offer that to Abu Dhabi FC or any other top club for that matter!!!

1 Like

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Beedude(m): 10:55am On Sep 02, 2020
emmyrate1:
u just stupid for calling yourself a barca fan, how do you expect him to help the defense we he is the play maker and also the goal scorer of the team. Is he the only player on the pitch? Get out
Some things we read online self.
Someone scores, assist and u still want him to defend. Small time u will expect him t be a goal keeper.
What Messi need is someone to relieve him of some attacking duties. Every team come with the tactics to stop Messi and once that is done, Barca is useless.
The last time Messi was happy in Barca was when he played with Neymar and Suarez. U can't come with tactics to mark him out when u have Neymar and Suarez to also deal with.

What most people dont understand is that, Messi is the reason this Barca team still feature in a UCL quarter final or 2nd in La Liga.
Remove him and Barca is just a Napoli or Sevilla.

1 Like

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Moura7(m): 11:08am On Sep 02, 2020
Angelfrost:

Last ten years, no one made an offer to buy him, neither did Barcelona place a price tag...

Let's stay in the present sir... Would you honestly dole out half a Billion for this current 33 year old Messi??! Is that financially sensible or prudent??!

In a Man City team or even PSG, by how much would Messi outshine players like Lewandoski, Mbappe, or Neymar??! By how much exactly that he should cost over 4 times more than each of them??!

You don't pay half way to a Billion for the past or fading glory of a player... Such a fee should secure you at least 4 glorious years of domestic and European unrivalled dominance!!! Messi can't offer that to Abu Dhabi FC or any other top club for that matter!!!

The fee is quite ridiculous I agree and it's not even the transfer fee, it's a combo of the transfer fee, salaries, add -ons, bonuses etc for the period of five years....but where I have an issue with you is the emphasis you're placing on his performance this year like there's no way he'd improve the next season. You forgot that just 10 months ago he was awarded the ballond'or. The fact that he had a bad season now doesn't mean he won't have an even much better one next season. Ronny's first season at Juve was not that great but guess what? he improved his stats the next season.This is the first time that Lewy has surpassed Messi in goals in his career and he did this with a rejuvenated Bayern team where let's be honest( and I'm not taking anything away from Lewy) he just had to position himself well to score goals. Messi played most this season from deep in midfield to the front. He had to do most things himself. He'd start the attack and finish it most times. He'd dribble, still create chances, still make those cutting edge through balls and still score. If you watch barca games you'd understand what I'm talking about, the whole team is just over dependent on the guy for literally everything, well except defending. So I think in a more balanced team like City or even PSG, he'd do much better than this season.

3 Likes

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by bluefilm: 11:12am On Sep 02, 2020
Messi is already in his decline.

Anyone who watched Messi since 2005 to 2017 can easily see that.

But here's the jerk:

Any club buying Messi's services now is not necessarily doing that because they want him to be the Messi wonderkid we have always known, who's always scoring goals, dribbling, making wonderful passes and all that...

Nah...

Not that he can't still be doing those things but like I said, the boy is now in his decline

Any club buying his services now are just buying his name as a brand.

That's where the big money lies now.

3 Likes

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by rottennaija(m): 11:13am On Sep 02, 2020
jericco1:
Dude could go on a free next summer because it would be stupid for anyone to pay such an amount undecided

And barca shouldn't be stupid enough to lose such a player and brand on a free transfer. Barca needs to build, losing him is losing 50% of their strength and brand but getting something around the region they sold Neymar is a smart move for their rebuilding project.

1 Like

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by Hullabaloon: 11:13am On Sep 02, 2020
DimIsaac10:
City will get back their money from his instance shirt sales, endorsements...
Big clubs like United will loose endorsements cos of the Goat.

The notion that clubs recoup transfer money from shirt sales is fallacy. The money from shirt sales goes to the kit makers, Nike, addidas and Co. Clubs only receive about 15% from the total amount.

CC,: Crestman

1 Like

Re: Is Messi Still Good Enough For A Big Price Tag Or Is He In Decline? by ArticleBeast: 11:14am On Sep 02, 2020
Messi is not signed just to play football but becos of his economic importance to the club and league. If it ain't worth it La liga wouldn't be stalling his move

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Sunday Oliseh Resigns As Fortuna Sittard's Chief Coach / What Do You Have To Say About Nigeria's Coach, José Peseiro So Far? / Blessing Okagbare Places Last In 100m Finals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.