Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,527 members, 7,823,291 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:11 AM

What Is Mr Ribadu's Current Status As A Government Official? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Mr Ribadu's Current Status As A Government Official? (1469 Views)

Saraki, Dogara Frustrating Buhari’s Plans – Government Official / Buhari's Daughter Zahra Adresses Herself As A Government Official...comedy Contd / The Most Corrupt Government Official Since Nigeria Gained Independence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Mr Ribadu's Current Status As A Government Official? by BigB11(m): 6:42pm On Jun 20, 2007
As we all know, Ribadu did disappoint many toward the end of his tenure as the EFCC chairman, but in my eyes, this man still represents one of the most dedicated Nigerians around today. And his presence as government official is very important.
But lately Mr.Ribadu has been very quiet and playing a low key individuality role. What is the status of this man's position?
Is Ribadu still the chairman of EFCC?
Is Ribadu the real new IG in disguise?
Is Ribadu's position eradicated?
Is Ribadu part of this new administration?

What exactly is Mr.Ribadu's latest position or role as a federal government official?

I'm very eager to know!
Re: What Is Mr Ribadu's Current Status As A Government Official? by MILITIA(f): 6:51pm On Jun 20, 2007
Think of Nigeria as a deck of cards used to play "poker"!  Let's just say "they are still shuffling the cards"! grin  The game has not started yet! Patience I say my people, patience!  All will be revealed "partially" in about 6 months! grin he he he he he----------I dey laff!
Re: What Is Mr Ribadu's Current Status As A Government Official? by McKren(m): 7:18pm On Jun 20, 2007
Ribadu's position as a Government official will be known when the electoral petitions and tribunals have been concluded.

Dont ask me how and why, just wait.
Re: What Is Mr Ribadu's Current Status As A Government Official? by BigB11(m): 7:54pm On Jun 20, 2007
By EFCC's Ribadu, I am referring to Nuhu Ribadu, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) helmsman. The EFCC is the anti-graft body set up by erstwhile Nigerian President, Olusegun Obasanjo to tackle graft but it ended up as his toy, tackling his enemies - imaginary and otherwise and championing his third term agenda by remote. For anything that has to do with President Obasanjo always had a sinister agenda. The rest as they say is history.

Corruption in Nigeria has reached a crescendo, has reached a point of no return. Everything in Nigeria is corrupt, drinking water is corrupt, the air is corrupted, and even foetuses are corrupt. President Olusegun Obasanjo in an attempt to tackle this corruption set up the EFCC but this process as can now be seen was corrupt. Not all Nigerians are corrupt, there are but decent Nigerians in all endeavours of life, there are Nigerians that have and will sacrifice their lives for the betterment of the country. These decent Nigerians lauded the establishment of EFCC; this lauding I had always believed was a bit premature, for EFCC was yet to prove its mettle. But in the euphoria of fighting corruption, tackling the beast heads on for once, these decent Nigerians dropped their guard. How can anything good come from President Olusegun Obasanjo? A seventy something year old election rigger.

Since nothing good can come from President Obasanjo, I had my reservations about EFCC as headed by Nuhu Ribadu. Ribadu started by making noises here and there, started by making some high profile arrests, which at the end of the day amounted to nothing but a slap on the wrist like the conviction of Tafa Balogun, the former Inspector General of Police. Ribadu at a time blamed the law courts for frustrating his efforts in sanitising the country. Again, the rest as they say is history.

A couple of cases deepened this reservation I had about Ribadu, such cases include but not limited to: -

The disappearance into thing air of Obasanjo's golden boy, former Governor Ayo Fayose of Ekiti state after impeachment till date. EFCC with all the security paraphernalia at its disposal kept mute.

The disappearance of former Governor Joshua Dariye of Plateau state in Nigeria after his first impeachment. EFCC kept mute.
advertisement

The indictment of Obasanjo's right hand man, Commodore Bode George for his nefarious activities at Nigerian Ports Authority. EFCC kept mute.

Andy Uba's money laundering case with the US authorities. EFCC kept mute

Indictment of Obasanjo's cousin, Dr Julius Makanjuola for his criminal acts at the Federal Ministry of Defence. EFCC kept mute.

The removal of Obasanjo's acolytes from the names of EFCC indicted politicians. Ribadu kept mute

Ribadu's naïve attempt at supporting Paul Wolfowitz, former President of the World Bank.
The list goes on and on. But one case in particular, where Nuhu Ribadu and hence EFCC kept mute that greatly deepened my reservation as to his sincerity of purpose, his devotion to duty, his allegiance to Nigeria or to Obasanjo was the electoral case between Prince Nicholas Ukachukwu and Ugochukwu Uba. Ugochukwu Uba is the elder brother to Andy Uba, Obasanjo's man-Friday.

Chukwudi Nwokoye writing in Nigeriaworld.com on Saturday June 02, 2007 graphically presented the case as below: -

"We have also not forgotten that in 2003, Prince Nicholas Ukachukwu contested and won the Anambra South Senatorial Election as he was on the ballot as the candidate of PDP. However, when the result was released by INEC, his name got replaced by Dr. Ugochukwu Uba. Same fate was suffered by Chief (Mrs) Joy Emordi (Anambra North) and Chief Ben Obi (Anambra Central).
All three of them proceeded to the Election Tribunal and won after a very rigorous challenge. When their cases went to the Court of Appeal, both Chief Joy Emordi and Chief Ben Obi won their cases. However, Dr. Ugochukwu Uba appealed to the Court of Appeal against the judgment obtained by Ukachukwu. Meanwhile, Dr. Ugochukwu Uba had been sworn in as a Senator. The matter came before the Court of Appeal of three Justices: Hon. Justice Okwuchukwu Opene, Hon. Justice David Adedoyin Adeniji and Hon. Justice Kumai Bayang Akaahs who disagreed among themselves. Two of the Justices Hon. Justice Okwuchukwu Opene and Hon. Justice David Adedoyin Adeniji gave judgment to Dr. Ugochukwu Uba and the third Justice, Hon. Justice Kumai Bayang Akaahs, the youngest of them disagreed and dissented and gave judgment to Prince Nicholas Ukachukwu. After the appeal, the National Judicial Council (NJC) received petitions that two of the three Justices took bribe.

The National Judicial Council established under Section 153 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 set up a committee headed by late Justice Kolawole a retired Justice of the Court of Appeal. After a thorough investigation by the Committee it was found that Justice Okwuchukwu Opene who presided at the Court of Appeal took a bribe of N15,000,000.00 (Fifteen million Naira) and Justice David Adedoyin Adeniji took a bribe of N12,000,000.00 (Twelve million Naira) and three unascertained Ghana-must-Go bags. To this date, it was only the takers of the bribe that suffered consequences as they had their careers as justices ruined and their good names ruined. The givers of the bribe still walk free. Even the beneficiary of the judgment, Dr. Ugochukwu Uba, is still serving as a senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, and still has until 3rd June to complete a mandate stolen from Prince Nicholas Ukachukwu."

That two Appeal Court Judges were sanctioned and retired by the National Judicial Council for receiving bribe whereas EFCC did nothing to the giver of the bribe till date showed that Ribadu is a compromised umpire. The man Ribadu is a Nigerian after all, Obasanjo's hatchet man and nothing else. Hence my deep reservation about him.

To further strengthen my reserved views on Ribadu, the man who was threatening hellfire to governors (once they loose their immunity) like a medieval theologian of the fire and brimstone variety to now being having negotiated settlements with them says it all. I do not know any where in the world where criminals are offered negotiated settlements except in Ribadu's Nigeria.

[b]Nuhu Ribadu, Odenigbo's reservation all this time about you and your intentions have been proved right, please go like your master, Obasanjo. Nigeria deserves better if that war against corruption must be won. Otherwise, it is business as usual. [/b]

http://nigeriaworld.com/articles/2007/jun/143.html
Re: What Is Mr Ribadu's Current Status As A Government Official? by BigB11(m): 8:28pm On Jun 20, 2007
I wasn't too impressed with his last interview with the press.
He looked a bit older, stressed and unfocused. I did not see the fire and confidence I used to admire in the past, he looked very tired and pretty much beat down.
Re: What Is Mr Ribadu's Current Status As A Government Official? by initiator(m): 11:50pm On Jun 20, 2007
The lesson from Ribadu is that no matter the gra gra every govt official in nigeria has an expiry date - even the maverick nzeribe and the maradona IBB are becoming stale. Maybe fiery ribadu is seeing the end of his rainbow.
I share cynical views of ribadu's intentions but we must admit that ribadu and his master made corruption an issue in the polity.
Re: What Is Mr Ribadu's Current Status As A Government Official? by BigB11(m): 2:01am On Jun 21, 2007
Even though he wasn't perfect, but I still feel that he was a dedicated Nigerian who just didn't understand the game. In my book, he deserves another chance.
Re: What Is Mr Ribadu's Current Status As A Government Official? by vigasimple(m): 10:26am On Jun 21, 2007
With greatest of respect to you guys here Ribadu is one of the very few people in Nigeria who is trying honestly to fight corruption.

However, some people and I am sorry to sound cynical with your type of attitude which sometime is the measure of the general attitude which flow from the political stealing class is for the man Ribadu to fail.

Let me tell you the extent they will go is to see or find the man with something to show that he has been compromised.

Poverty, social/economic security and greed are the major problem we have to deal with to succeed with corruption. Also we have to work at our orientation.

If Ribadu fails we are only going to be facing a huge setback in the progress in our fight against corruption. Already these are demoralising peole are watching is demeanour to see that he (Ribadu) is tired. That is what the enemies of progress in Nigeria has been waiting for,looking forward to and praying for. Some people don't even believe we can find anybody like Ribadu in Nigeria. If this guy has been a Yoruba or Ibo man he would have been frustarted long time ago example Mrs. Akinyuli( a very wonderful woman, her own people even want to kill her.

How do we join hand to fight corruption is what we should be talking about and not about the man Ribadu solley as if it his own personal problem whether or not Ribadu is there, the problem need dealing with.

As for Anambra as an example, no one should be surprised, it is the OYO state of the East the place is too voliatile as everybody want to be Senator and Governor, these are the legacies of people like Arthur Nzeribe. Position is what they are looking for NOT service.

I prayed that God in his mercy will find a way to give us solutions to all our challenges in Nigeria.

To everybody keep thinking of practical solutions.
Re: What Is Mr Ribadu's Current Status As A Government Official? by Mamajama(m): 9:53pm On Jun 29, 2007
Ribadu is still part and parcel of this administration. He is undergoing vital course to prepare him for the ultimate post of IGP. MARK my word. In due time we will start hearing about RIbadu again. Lets all be patient and keep looking.
Re: What Is Mr Ribadu's Current Status As A Government Official? by BigB11(m): 1:51pm On Jun 30, 2007
Posted by MAMAJAMA:
He is undergoing vital course to prepare him for the ultimate post of IGP

Training or course: Excellent move, I welcome anything that will prevent this guy from reproducing the failure from the last movie.

I still think this man is capable of playing a vital role and assisting this new administration to make things right.
I also think that he should be prevented from getting involved in prosecuting any of these governors; it will make things a lot easier for the new administration.
Re: What Is Mr Ribadu's Current Status As A Government Official? by BigB11(m): 2:29pm On Jul 04, 2007
FG moves to remove Ribadu as EFCC boss - Ribadu confers with OBJ Taiwo Adisa, Abuja

There are indications that the President Umaru Yar’Adua government may be planning to replace Mallam Nuhu Ribadu as the head of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
Sources in the Presidency told the Nigerian Tribune on Monday in Abuja that if the moves around the presidency in the last few days were anything to go by, the anti-corruption Czar might be replaced soon.

Some agents of the government were said to be studying the EFCC Act, with a view to identifying areas to be exploited to remove Ribadu.

“If the going on in government circles in recent days is anything to go by, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu may be removed as EFCC boss. The moves are already thickening within the Presidency. His touted replacement is a director in the headquarters of the State Security Service (SSS),” a source said.

Ribadu had in the last days of the former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s administration got appointed for a second term of four years in office. But the moves to replace him are said to be creating some ripples in the government circles.

The anti-corruption chief has been largely quiet since the dawn of the administration of President Yar’Adua, unlike the outspoken nature he displayed during the last administration.

It was gathered that the top security chief tipped to replace Ribadu had been interviewed by officials of the Yar’Adua government, while he was said to have also been briefed on his next assignment.

The security chief is said to hail from Kaduna State. The Yar’Adua government has practically silenced Ribadu since coming on board on May 29 and had prevented the man from arresting former governors who had been investigated during the administration of President Obasanjo.

Unconfirmed sources also claimed that Ribadu was at Otta, Ogun State on Monday to meet with former President Olusegun Obasanjo but details of their discussion was unknown at press time.

Meanwhile, efforts to get the Chief of Staff to the EFCC chief, Mr. Dapo Olorunyomi, and the Head of Public Affairs of the commission, Mr. Osita Nwajah, for their comments proved abortive.

Text messages sent to their mobile telephones were not replied.

http://odili.net/news/source/2007/jul/3/553.html
Re: What Is Mr Ribadu's Current Status As A Government Official? by BigB11(m): 2:32pm On Jul 04, 2007
@McKren:
Settle down and learn from the best.

This was predicted more than 4 months ago.
Re: What Is Mr Ribadu's Current Status As A Government Official? by BigB11(m): 2:36pm On Jul 04, 2007
Three shortlisted for Ribadu’s job

THE plan to remove the chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, may have gone beyond speculations as three Northerners were said to have been shortlisted for the position.

Nigerian Tribune investigations revealed that the plan for a change of leadership in the commission was premised on the need to give the commission a non-controversial status in view of the commission’s alleged involvement in political cases before the April polls.

That thinking was said to have received the nod of the new president, Umaru Yar’Adua, soon after assuming office with those pressing for the change of guards comparing the extension of Ribadu’s tenure by former President Olusegun Obasanjo to the case of the former Inspector General of Police, Mr. Sunday Ehindero.

In the last two weeks, three top security operatives were said to have been interviewed with one of them coming from the police service.

One is from Kaduna and reported to be sponsored by a Northern state governor while the other, from one of the North Central states, is said to be a professional operative without political affiliation.

The third candidate, the Nigerian Tribune learnt, is from the same zone with Ribadu and with service background in the Nigeria Police Force.

Nigerian Tribune was, however, told that a strong lobby had emerged pushing for the retention of the anti-corruption chief as they see the planned removal as a bid to appease some political forces still bitter with Ribadu for his role in the last election.

While it is not clear whether the removal was part of the conditions given by the opposition for participation in Yar‘Adua’s government, it was learnt that the matter was still on the table with pro and anti-Ribadu forces mounting pressure on the president.

Meanwhile, a Northern Coalition for Democracy and Justice (NCDJ) on Tuesday said the plan by some top people to remove Ribadu had long been afoot but had not seen the light of day because the present civilian government had never given his removal any serious consideration.

Its coordinator, Umar Farouk, said that Ribadu had been aware of the plan to remove him and had never been bothered since, according to him, he had been used to bitter reactions from those he said had made themselves the sworn enemies of the EFCC boss.

The youth leader said his group had had audience with the president on salient national issues at different times and was able to read the president as a serious-minded person.

He told the Nigerian Tribune that Yar'Adua was serious about continuing the anti-corruption war initiated by the Obasanjo administration and believed that Ribadu, if further encouraged, would prove his mettle in fighting corruption in Nigeria.

http://www.ngex.com/cgi-bin/frame/frameit2.plx?link=%22http://www.tribune.com.ng%22
Re: What Is Mr Ribadu's Current Status As A Government Official? by McKren(m): 3:16pm On Jul 04, 2007
You are simply posting what you want to here, How about that one

[Ex-governors behind plan to remove Ribadu
By Tony Amokeodo
Published: Wednesday, 4 Jul 2007
INDICATIONS emerged on Tuesday that the alleged pressure that was mounted on President Umaru Yar ‘Adua to remove the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, was being spearheaded by some of the former governors.

Skip to next paragraph

Photo File
EFCC Chieftain Mallam Nuhu Ribadu

A source close to our correspondent confirmed that a retired military leader was also using his clout with the ex-governors to pressurise Yar‘ Adua to drop the EFCC boss.

The leader and his caucus group were said to have cautioned the President about the idea of keeping Ribadu, saying that he was a product of former President Olusegun Obasanjo, who should be shown the way out in the new dispensation.

He said, ”The hues and cries over the purported removal of Ribadu are based on rumour. The EFCC boss was in Lagos on Monday and he later left for Ota to see the former President. But he has a right to visit the former President.

”He only left Lagos this Tuesday morning for Abuja. “So there is nothing unusual for the EFCC boss‘s visit to Lagos, which is a normal routine.

”Of course, the group and their leaders are not comfortable with the antecedents of Ribadu. Don‘t forget that some of the ex-governors have been penciled down for ministerial posts.

”But when some of the former governors learnt that they might not be considered for the plum jobs, as Ribadu had moved against them and even forwarded dossiers on them to the President, they were incensed and quickly mobilised their godfathers against him”

”You will also recall that Ribadu had invited experts to verify some of the projects that some of the ex-governors claimed to have executed in their states.

But I can authoritatively tell you that the President has asked Ribadu to continue with his job.”

Commenting on the development, President of the West African Bar Association, Mr. Femi Falana, said that it was too late to remove Ribadu, saying that the EFCC boss had ignited concerted efforts in the war against corruption.

He added that Ribadu‘s efforts had paid off, adding that certain people in some states were now agitating for the prosecution of their former governors who were allegedly involved in corrupt practices.

http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200707042523965

Cool down man, the last time I checked Ribadu is still the EFCC Boss.
Re: What Is Mr Ribadu's Current Status As A Government Official? by BigB11(m): 3:37pm On Jul 04, 2007
We shall see!
Re: What Is Mr Ribadu's Current Status As A Government Official? by BigB11(m): 3:50pm On Jul 04, 2007
@McKren:
Removing this man doesn't mean he's not capable. It is simply an effective political decision, which has to be made by the president.
Ribadu's talent could be used somewhere else, but absolutely not as the chairman of EFCC.

We must relaunch the effort to effectively fight "war against corruption"; and part of this process is removing Ribadu from his current position.
No disrespect, it is purely clear that he must be moved to successfully accomplish our goal. There is no way we can move forward with him holding the same position, which he clearly unintentionally abused during OBJ era.

I'm pretty sure that the new administration is competent enough to make this move ASAP.

It is simply the right thing to do.
Re: What Is Mr Ribadu's Current Status As A Government Official? by McKren(m): 5:03pm On Jul 04, 2007
Bigb1 your game is up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nigeria is not going back to the days of NPN

We lost 20 years before we will not loose another. Those who plotted coup after OBJ gracefully handed power over to Shagari are at it again, they will not succeed this time because OBJ will spare his life to guard the Yaradua Government.
They want to foist their men on us so that Bussiness as Usual continues.

El-Rufai is gone, they want Ribadu gone, soon it will be Akunyili, Soludo. It wont work.

IBB will be relegated to the back sit soon and those calling for Ribadu's sack will bury their head in Shame, I see Babagana Kingibe going before Ribadu.

We can not be taken 40years behind.
Re: What Is Mr Ribadu's Current Status As A Government Official? by BigB11(m): 5:32pm On Jul 04, 2007
You don't like to deeply think about issues before speculating. If you take your time and try to see through the dark, you will realize that moving Ribadu is the right thing for him and for Nigeria.

This is not a game, but a  pure method to move forward effectively with the war against corruption with out any question.
If Ribadu retains his current position, it will just be the same old same story over and over; at the end of the day nothing will be accomplished.

Yar'Adua is a smart man and he's determined not to reactivate a failed strategy. He's new and he wants new strategies, new people and new beginning for Nigeria.

The problem here is the fact that you're too emotional and it is a sign of weakness. You need to calm down and think about it.
Removing Ribadu doesn't mean he's a bad man. It is simply an accurate political decision (re-dispatching this man to another position will make him more productive and we also prevent corrupt leaders from using OBJ's propaganda excuses).
OBJ is gone and Ribadu is gone, it's now time for these bastards to pay. That is how to look at things.

Ribadu has done his best by laying a solid foundation, and now is the time for him to step aside and allow someone else to carry on the project.
This process is also called fresh start.

McKren, are you telling me that there is no other Nigerian citizen that could successfully carry on this project?

My man, you will be surprised that there are many other competent, honest and dedicated Nigerians out there, that could even produce a lot better than your man, Ribadu.

Stay cool; it's not personal, it is the right thing to do at this point in Nigeria.

New beginning New Nigeria. It makes no sense to continue with OBJ left over junkies.
Re: What Is Mr Ribadu's Current Status As A Government Official? by Mamajama(m): 4:38pm On Jul 05, 2007
BIGB1 I can guarantee you will be one of the 1st people here on this forum that will publicly criticize YAR ADUA and his policies in couple months, I'm just chilling and waiting for all the drama to start unfolding.

(1) (Reply)

Ibori Falls Very Ill In Jail. / How Lagos Was Transformed, By Fashola / Abdulmuttalab The Man That Saved Nigeria's Image

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.