Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,982 members, 7,835,292 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:11 AM

Floods Washed Away More Than 25% Of Nigeria’s Rice Harvest - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Floods Washed Away More Than 25% Of Nigeria’s Rice Harvest (17107 Views)

Rice To Hit ₦‎50,000 Per Bag As Floods Ravage Farms / Floods Submerge Olam Rice Farm in Nasarawa / Lady Shows Her Cucumber Farm In Anambra As She Goes For Harvest (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Floods Washed Away More Than 25% Of Nigeria’s Rice Harvest by Blue3k(m): 12:00pm On Sep 08, 2020
Jimi24:

Floods washed away harvests and that means agro policies have failed?.
I hope you know this is a bad reflection on your IQ. Nigerians say they are educated yet they find thinking difficult.
All these farmers will get NIRSAL agric insurance loan compensation so no permanent loss.
There will be an increase in rice prices which will further encourage rice farming.
Even rice importation that a lot of you unpatriotic simpletons are hoping for will only go to companies active in rice vslue chain. Only rice mill owners will import rice and they will be mostly northerners.

Lol your foolishness is too much. You watched this price of rice increase yet the policy didnt achieve it goals. Nigerias issues were always due to low productivity because they dont practice mechanized farming. The government has to subsidize these loans because the farmers cant access cheap credit. If they could use land as collateral that issue would be solved.
Re: Floods Washed Away More Than 25% Of Nigeria’s Rice Harvest by PenSniper: 12:02pm On Sep 08, 2020
Karma at work.
Re: Floods Washed Away More Than 25% Of Nigeria’s Rice Harvest by rollandben(m): 12:23pm On Sep 08, 2020
This goverment is full of Negativity...always looking for uneccessarry excuses!!
Re: Floods Washed Away More Than 25% Of Nigeria’s Rice Harvest by kolaaderin: 12:26pm On Sep 08, 2020
Blue3k:

The floods were just the kill shot. They never reached self sufficiency before the floods.
Is there a flood or not. We are on the way to self sufficient but disaster happens, we will be back soon and better with a lesson learnt already. Enemies want us to keep importing Rice from another nation and still want the Naira to remain strong for other essential stuff we can not make.
Re: Floods Washed Away More Than 25% Of Nigeria’s Rice Harvest by Area4Area: 12:53pm On Sep 08, 2020
Openbusiness:
So after buying local rice, the consumer still has the responsibility to worry about how to "de-stone" it by yourself or finding experts? Wow, ok. That's why the Nigerian rice industry will continue to crash and fume when foreign competition is available. All my life of eating foreign rice, I just pour into fire, parboil, then eat without ever worrying about "de-stone -ing" anything. Why don't they ask the consumer to peel the chaff to or do un-chaffing for them grin
Mr I-too-know, I hope you know that some brands of our local rice is stone free. You get to the market and you see different grades of local rice and if you request for the lower grades because of cost, the sellers would ask you if you know how to prepare it, if you say no, they'd try telling you to buy the upper grades that are stone free and some even look like those foreign rice.
Re: Floods Washed Away More Than 25% Of Nigeria’s Rice Harvest by Openbusiness: 1:06pm On Sep 08, 2020
Area4Area:
Mr I-too-know, I hope you know that some brands of our local rice is stone free. You get to the market and you see different grades of local rice and if you request for the lower grades because of cost, the sellers would ask you if you know how to prepare it, if you say no, they'd try telling you to buy the upper grades that are stone free and some even look like those foreign rice.
ok, thanks for explaining better. I appreciate your clarification. Based on this info, don't you think every grade of rice should be stone free? Don't you think that being "stone-free" should be a basic industry standard for every local rice, irrespective of price? For example, no matter the car, you will find seat belts inside because it is an industry standard. As at year 2000 or so, I think it became an industry standard for all manufactured cars to have a boot that can be opened from inside the trunk. Headlights are an industry standard. How will you feel about buying a car and then you're told you have to go for a higher grade before you can have a car with headlights; won't that be ridiculous? So there are basic standards for every industry. So same way, being "stone-free" must be an industry standard. And the government needs to enforce it.
Re: Floods Washed Away More Than 25% Of Nigeria’s Rice Harvest by Nobody: 5:55pm On Sep 08, 2020
This year is a blessing for me, despite everything that is happening to the world..
Re: Floods Washed Away More Than 25% Of Nigeria’s Rice Harvest by byinks(f): 6:31pm On Sep 08, 2020
You don't understand the planned genocide..

Hunger
Vaccines
ISIL

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Big Bag Of Egusi Of 120-130 Big Derica(mudu) For Sale At Cheapest Price! / Investment In Farm Plantations Give Higher ROI Than Most Rental Apartments / Jasper7's Cucumber Story Is On Guardian Newspaper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.