Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,922 members, 7,835,076 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision (25500 Views)

Kalabari Traditional Wedding Culture in Rivers State / Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos / China People And Culture In Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by edoairways: 10:32am On Sep 08, 2020
PVision2020:

The way you guys justify injustice in the name of archaic culture/tradition is the same way Islamic extremist justifies their callous act using sharia.
While Islamic terrorist are a slave to their stone age Sharia, you and your ilks are in shackles of your repugnant discriminatory culture/tradition.

Funny enough you folks will be the first to call out the north on Sharia, but you turn a blind eye and even justify your own discriminatory culture (Osu caste system, subjugation of women etc).
Laws, Cultures, traditions are made for men and not the reverse.
It was an Igbo lady that approached your acclaimed Sharia court

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Misterdhee1(m): 10:32am On Sep 08, 2020
LaboPolitics:

You are a yoruba champion of 'female emancipation' in Igbo, pointing crooked ewedu-stained fingers on another Custom. So we ask you, are yoruba women not in need of the same 'emancipation' that pose administer in other regions? Why have marginalized yoruba women from attaining the highest cultural stools in yorubaland?
Are you cursed with hypocrisy?
Women can become anything they aspire to become in yorubaland. They can become chiefs, they can become regents. In fact, women have occupied the position of Ooni and Alaafin before. And of course, my sister will have considerable shares in my father's property once he dies.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Bkayyy: 10:33am On Sep 08, 2020
Please you people should not fight what you don't know. I believe the judge have her verdict based on what she learnt from nollywood without regards for the Igbo culture.
In the Igbo culture ( ask your parents this if you are Igbo), the first person to receive inheritance is the female child on her wedding day, where her own share of material things will be given to her by her parents ( if you are Igbo, ask yourself mother to show you where hers is, because I know people that started good businesses with thiers), the only thing that a female child does not partake is ancestral lands which is for homogeneity sake and mind you those laws were like that because then it is believed that a woman should have married before her brothers fully mature unlike now that we have over grown spinsters roaming the streets. Now to balance for her not partaking in her father's ancestral land, the Igbo female child is the first to inherit her husband ( ask your mother this if you are Igbo), she inherits her desired portion of her husbands ancestral land and her fair share of material things which she keeps till she die which then goes to the LAST MALE CHILD (ask your mother this). But incase the woman died before her husband all her supposed shares which I listed above goes to her daughters of which they share the material things and leave her land to the last Male child. That is why in Igboland we say that the heart of a mother is tied to her last son. Listen carefully, if the woman is highly successful in the sense that she became wealthy, when she dies all her wealth is shared between her daughters and her last Male child, which in most cases the daughters sometimes take her female belongings and leave almost 80% of her wealth (by choice) for the last male child. The other male children don't partake in this.
It is important to note that the Obi is reserved for the first male child. While the other ancestral lands are shared among the other males, then the material wealth is shared by all (in reasonable ratio because most times the females leave them for their brothers to empower them to grow their family name financially which gives them bragging rights and in some cases protection from being treated like tags in their husbands family, you can't beat daughter of a wealthy family in igboland and go scot free) , including the unmarried sisters who are most times ashamed to partake. I was a life witness when one sister was crying profusely because they included her in inheritance, because to her they see her as a male who can never get never get married and accused her brothers of using that medium to insult her

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Nobody: 10:33am On Sep 08, 2020
All the idiot men on this thread shouting my daughter will never inherit from me are plain idiotic Nd stupid.

There are a million and one families that if the man had not given birth to a daughter, they would have left this world in pain and abandonment because the so called sons did not send their parents.

Only the women and especially first daughters ensures that the parents are well taken care of, spends their money and time to do that.

Then after everything, you will tell me because one idiot has a dick, he should come and reap where ehe did not sow.

The daughters will inherti everything and the ones they cannot or will be contentious, i will ensure I sell b4 my death. A child is a child. If they take care of you while alive, it does not matter the gender. Write your will accordingly.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by DexterousOne(m): 10:33am On Sep 08, 2020
propsvilla3:

You don't get it, properties in my father's house belongs to my Sons but every other properties or investment outside my home soil will be shared among all my Children. That is the right way to balance Cutlure.

This is a reasonable position to hold
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by edoairways: 10:33am On Sep 08, 2020
topboss:

IT IS BINDING ON OGBOMOSHO.
I am Igbo like you
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by banio: 10:34am On Sep 08, 2020
Misterdhee1:

Oga, once an inheritance has been passed to the beneficiary, whatever happens to the inheritance is no problem of anyone. What if the sokoto girl decides to sell it to an urhobo man? Does that invalidate her right to her inheritance? This is 21st century. Yorubas are by far, the most liberal and civilized tribe in Nigeria.

Good for the Yorubas. But I am not discussing tribe. However, the present caste system in England is headed by the Queen. I hope the Yorubas will get there.

I am only saying inheritance is a delicate issue that must be considered deeply before bequeathing the estate.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Nobody: 10:34am On Sep 08, 2020
dultmax:

Those seats @ bolden were once occupied by women... Queen Lúwo Gbàgìdá, the Ooni of Ife.. Orompoto was a female Alaafin of Oyo..there is currently ..... Falowo Moyinoluwa The regent of Ibulesoro kingdom of Ifedore Local Government Council in Ondo State...
Even my village, oda town in Akure ondo, the ruler their presently is a female since her father died, despite having princes.

3 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by AmazonTopaz(f): 10:34am On Sep 08, 2020
topboss:
[s][/s]

IN YOUR TRIBE AND FAMILY, NEVER FOR NDIIGBO.

AS WE STAND NOW, PROPERTIES ARE BEING SHARED EVERY DAY, AND THE DAUGHTERS STILL GET NOTHING.

IN THE FUTURE, I STILL WILL NOT GIVE MY DAUGHTERS INHERITENCE, WAT ARE U GOING TO DO ABOUT DAT?
You will not live for ever.
So don't speak like as if you know it all.
See this misogynistic entitled dreamer daughters are getting properties and now backed by the supreme court it will only get better.
Also if you die today without any will be rest assured that if any of your daughters go to court they will have an inheritance.
You are only rambling and cannot be taken serious because there is nothing you can do to change what the law has said.Start moving with the times

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by fergie001: 10:34am On Sep 08, 2020
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by AmazonTopaz(f): 10:35am On Sep 08, 2020
Misterdhee1:

Women can become anything they aspire to become in yorubaland. They can become chiefs, they can become regents. In fact, women have occupied the position of Ooni and Alaafin before. And of course, my sister will have considerable shares in my father's property once he dies.
I love the Yoruba culture to be honest.
It is so enlightened and liberal I like it.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by LaboPolitics: 10:35am On Sep 08, 2020
baby124:

But she’s doing what you expect of your daughters now. You said Igbo women should inherit from their husbands. Not their fathers. This Yoruba woman inherited from her husband as an Igbo wife, yet as a relative you are still bitter that she beat you to the punch before you could use your brothers mental illness to rip off her children. grin. You sound like a hypocrite.

She is entitled to his properties but not after turning the man against the family she was married into, not after turning the man into a mental vegetable and selling off his properties. If she sells of the remaining properties in the Orlu, Owerri, Onitsha, where will the man and relatives get money to pay for medicals and feed himself?

She abandoned the man a long time to his fate only to stick around long enough to sell off his properties.

Stop supporting wickedness.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Alennsar(f): 10:35am On Sep 08, 2020
LaboPolitics:

yoruba were rejoicing because they want a leeway to steal Igbo men properties by marrying Igbo daughters and insulting Igbo customs, a custom that even settles Igbo daughters with properties upon marriage. Kolewerk!

Let the same yoruba SC judge Bode Rhodes-Vivour also make a judgment that women in yorubaland have the right to be Oba of Lagos, Ooni of Ife and Alaafin of Oyo.

If he won't do it, I'm sure an Igbo judge or Hausa judge will be glad to do so, since both men and women are now culturally equal in law.

Be reasonable please, the throne can only be occupied by one person even if all your children are boys but an inheritance is supposed to be shared among all the children of the deceased be it a girl or a boy.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by fergie001: 10:35am On Sep 08, 2020
PVision2020:
The President, Ohanaeze in Anambra State, Chief Damian Okeke-Ogene, said bequeathing property to a man’s daughter was not alien to Ndigbo, and as such, the Supreme Court judgment should not be seen as strange or a surprise to Igbo people.

He said, “Most fathers buy cars, build houses and so on for their daughters upon marriage. So, it’s wrong to say that the Igbo don’t give their daughters their property.

“If a daughter is not married or is divorced, our custom and tradition require the father to provide accommodation for her in his house. If a man has a commercial property, say a house, he can give a part of it to his daughter to manage and earn money from it accordingly. All these are done in Igboland. So, it’s wrong to say that a girl child in Igboland is disinherited from her father’s property.

“But I must say that not everything can be shared between the male and female children of a man.

“Ancestral property is exclusive to male children of a man and our daughters know that very well.”

He added that it would be an absurdity and even an abomination for a man to bequeath such ancestral property to his daughters.

“Who will ever think of a man to give his Obi (ancestral home/house) to a daughter, who may be married to an Ibadan man in the name of equity or law? That’s unthinkable. Therefore, the Supreme Court judgment has limitations or exclusions like any other law, but it is not totally strange to us, the Igbo,” Okeke-Ogene stated.
What is injustice in what this man said?

Please have a grasp of issues before screaming injustice, or you read down the thread.

I don't know how Osu caste system came into this.
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Nobody: 10:36am On Sep 08, 2020
topboss:

YOUR COMPREHENSION IS LOW, GO AND READ AGAIN.
Shut up oleeee. No brother's properties for you lazy fool. Last last, you will end up in traffic hawking Galla here in lagos cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by AmazonTopaz(f): 10:37am On Sep 08, 2020
Bkayyy:
Please you people should not fight what you don't know. I believe the judge have her verdict based on what she learnt from nollywood without regards for the Igbo culture.
In the Igbo culture ( ask your parents this if you are Igbo), the first person to receive inheritance is the female child on her wedding day, where her own share of material things will be given to her by her parents ( if you are Igbo, ask yourself mother to show you where hers is, because I know people that started good businesses with thiers), the only thing that a female child does not partake is ancestral lands which is for homogeneity sake and mind you those laws were like that because then it is believed that a woman should have married before her brothers fully mature unlike now that we have over grown spinsters roaming the streets. Now to balance for her not partaking in her father's ancestral land, the Igbo female child is the first to inherit her husband ( ask your mother this if you are Igbo), she inherits her desired portion of her husbands ancestral land and her fair share of material things which she keeps till she die which then goes to the LAST MALE CHILD (ask your mother this). But incase the woman died before her husband all her supposed shares which I listed above goes to her daughters of which they share the material things and leave her land to the last Male child. That is why in Igboland we say that the heart of a mother is tied to her last son. Listen carefully, if the woman is highly successful in the sense that she became wealthy, when she dies all her wealth is shared between her daughters and her last Male child, which in most cases the daughters sometimes take her female belongings and leave almost 80% of her wealth (by choice) for the last male child. The other male children don't partake in this.
It is important to note that the Obi is reserved for the first male child. While the other ancestral lands are shared among the other males, then the material wealth is shared by all (in reasonable ratio because most times the females leave them for their brothers to empower them to grow their family name financially which gives them bragging rights and in some cases protection from being treated like tags in their husbands family, you can't beat daughter of a wealthy family in igboland and go scot free) , including the unmarried sisters who are most times ashamed to partake. I was a life witness when one sister was crying profusely because they included her in inheritance, because to her they see her as a male who can never get never get married and accused her brothers of using that medium to insult her
The culture is a very backward and repugnant culture.
We thank God that the Supreme court has made a wise decision

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by LaboPolitics: 10:38am On Sep 08, 2020
wizzakosh:
Oleeeeeeeeeeee, gbewiriiiiiiiiiiii, jagudaaaaassa, firindi okeeeeeee. All your fight is cos you want to inherit your brother's properties. You are a joke.

The damage has been done. His daughter will get the properties, and you won't do naada. You will only keep grunting.

Lazy thief. cheesy grin

Go and tell your yoruba brothers who married Igbo ladies to come and collect properties in their father-in-law's house.

Onye oshi! Barawo!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by baby124: 10:38am On Sep 08, 2020
banio:
Inheritance is a delicate issue that must be handled with care.

Imagine an Hausa girl inherited vast wealth and land in Sokoto. She eventually married a Yoruba guy. Do you think, the Hausas will welcome the guy to take away everything the Sokoto girl had inherited.

Inheritance is a delicate issue. It's as delicate as Kingship. All aspects as regards it must be considered diligently
You guys think so much with your dick. How many Yoruba men have you seen takeover ancestral property belonging to their wives? They are used to their women inheriting so they don’t think of the property as their’s. Rather that of their kids. Only an imbecilic man will be fighting a woman over her father’s property and his children’s property.

That is the concept of Igbo marriage where the woman is owned and bought. So everything she owns belongs to her husband. gringrin. See how you are imagining things based on what you will do if given an opportunity grin.

With this inheritance issue, bride price inflation might die a natural death, cause if you don’t own your wife, you can’t claim to own her inheritance too. And how much can you possibly buy a woman who came into marriage with her own wealth? You go fear to do anyhow. You will respect yourself.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Parisian: 10:39am On Sep 08, 2020
So sad to hear that. Sorry about that, don't let it get to you.

Denique:
Senseless tradition; Stupid culture undecided

While some of the male children got more than 3 plots of land each, my mom and her female siblings didn't get a needle as inheritance but they all contributed towards the burial. embarassed

I wish I were this mature then, I'd never allow her drop a penny for the burial. undecided

I don't get an inheritance(if it was my father's stand); I don't contribute to your upkeep nor burial. Let your tradition and culture care for you. undecided
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by topboss: 10:39am On Sep 08, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

You will not live for ever.
So don't speak like as if you know it all.
See this misogynistic entitled dreamer daughters are getting properties and now backed by the supreme court it will only get better.
Also if you die today without any will be rest assured that if any of your daughters go to court they will have an inheritance.
You are only rambling and cannot be taken serious because there is nothing you can do to change what the law has said.Start moving with the times

IGBO WOMEN, KNOW THEIR CULTURE.

ONLY THE WAYWARD BASTARD WILL GO TO DRAG PROPERTIES IN HER FATHER HOUSE.

MANY IGBO WOMEN WILL ACTUALLY PREFER TO GIVE SOME OF THEIR HUSBAND MONEY TO HER FAMILY SEF.

WE ALREADY RAISED OUR DAUGHTERS TO BE CULTURED.

4 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by AmazonTopaz(f): 10:39am On Sep 08, 2020
Alennsar:

Be reasonable please, the throne can only be occupied by one person even if all your children are boys but an inheritance is supposed to be shared among all the children of the deceased be it a girl or a boy.
Thank you.
Even abroad it was once primogeniture father to son but many countries in Europe that have a monarchy have changed it constitutionally to be parent to first child be it a boy or a girl.
We will get there someday in this country.
Hopefully.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Saig: 10:40am On Sep 08, 2020
[quote author=Temitopemo6e6 post=93693297]I totally support this. This is what drives most men
with daughters to go and look for women who would bear them male children.Women are no less then men. I support this That's nice.. every child deserves the best..

HBD to me[/quote

Happy birthday to you
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by topboss: 10:40am On Sep 08, 2020
I HAVE TOLD ALL THIS YORUBA PEOPLE TO LEAVE IGBO TRADITION ALONE AND FACE THEIR OWN.

angry

4 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Saig: 10:40am On Sep 08, 2020
Temitopemo6e6:
I totally support this. This is what drives most men
with daughters to go and look for women who would bear them male children.Women are no less then men. I support this That's nice.. every child deserves the best..

HBD to me
Happy birthday to you

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Blackmann001: 10:41am On Sep 08, 2020
georgeiyke009:
none of them have taken it court.

an ibo woman sued and took it up to supreme court.

that was how the judgement was gotten.

you can take it on their behalf.

No law in the world is 100 percent agreeable by all parties....

If 60 people sued for justice from over 50milliom women dead and alive..it shows its not a big problem...

Let them face the inhuman treatment meted out to women in d north

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by DexterousOne(m): 10:41am On Sep 08, 2020
jaxxy:
I feel the female child is a child deserving like any other child bt I hope the courts will also use same judgement for sharia law controversies and not just Igbo customary laws where it abuses human fundamental rights. If not that would be very hypocritical.

I wud like to believe there are exceptions and clauses to this Igbo customary law. It doesn’t mean to exclude the female child bt protect both her and the family interests from external predators(Most royal families have such laws also). However greed of male siblings and polygamous family dynamics has abused this laws to the extremes.

That is why the Sharia Rulings can be appealed in appeal court

Appeal court is higher than sharia court

And the decision taken in that court cancels that of sharia

So yes

The appeal and supreme courts are in place to cancel barbaric practices across board

Not everything is about ethnic victimisation

Or "they are after us"

4 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by InvertedHammer: 10:42am On Sep 08, 2020
/
Inheritance is the reason there are no generational wealth in Nigeria. The wards are waiting for the father to die, then scramble for his wealth and waste it accordingly.

A son who has made it in life on his own will not be very much concerned about inheritance if he has been living ostentatiously without it.

Sometimes when you look at the inheritance they are fighting over, one cannot help but observe in awe.
/

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Parisian: 10:42am On Sep 08, 2020
She's telling you about her personal experience and you're still saying this....smh
afroxyz:

Are you Igbo? Because I doubt you would make such baseless comments. Go and read about Ohafia where lineage and inheritance is traced through the woman and not the man. There are other societies like that in Igbo land. If you even go to your mother's side, you would be allocated land to farm and other oeiviledgea. Igbo women were the first to organize themselves as a social group as seen in the Aba women riot of 1929. Stop exposing tour ignorance and study. You can't know these things by watching BB naija and nollywood
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by SmartyPants(m): 10:43am On Sep 08, 2020
Ab0bi:
It's futile....Igbos won't implement it.

Wait until you see the long arm of the law in practice.

3 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by baby124: 10:44am On Sep 08, 2020
LaboPolitics:

She is entitled to his properties but not after turning the man against the family she was married into, not after turning the man into a mental vegetable and selling off his properties. If she sells of the remaining properties in the Orlu, Owerri, Onitsha, where will the man get money to pay for medicals and feed himself?

She abandoned the man a long time to his fate only to stick around long enough to sell off his properties.

Stop supporting wickedness.
It is her property and she’s entitled to it. I am sure the family demanded custody of their son thinking if they hold on to him, they hold on to his wealth. The wife was sharper than you. Gave you your brother and absconded with her inheritance. What gives you more right over her children?

You demanded to have your brother, you have him. Her children are secure. I am sure you peoples behavior towards her has made her run away for good. If not, you won’t be looking for her to pay medical expenses. Even her family will not let her get away with such.

If you had all his properties in your possession, will you not sell it, share the money and use a small token to throw him somewhere? While his children starve to death. You are just angry at the quickness and smartness of the wife. She may have observed your behavior towards other widows in the family and acted fast grin.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by DexterousOne(m): 10:45am On Sep 08, 2020
topboss:
I DONT KNOW Y YORUBA SEEK TO CHANGE IGBO CUSTOMARY LAWS, WHEN THEY HAVE NOT CHANGED YORUBA CUSTOMARY LAW.

THEY SAY CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME.

U CANNOT LEAVE YOUR HOUSE THAT IS SCATTERED AND BE GOING TO ARRANGE ANOTHER MAN HOUSE, WITHOUT HIS CONSENT.

IF IT IS NOT IGBO TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE THAT HAS EXISTED SINCE TIME IMMEMORIAL AND ALL OUR PARENTS AND GRAND AND GREAT GRAND ANCESTORS MARRIED, WITOUT ANY HINDERANCE,, THEN IT IS IGBO IHERITENCE LAW.

WAT IS WRONG WITH THESE ZOO ANIMALS AND THEIR OBSESSION FOR MY PEOPLE, Y WONT THEY LET US BE?

What does this have to do with Yoruba people now?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi And Aliko Dangote In London At FT Africa Pre-Summit Dinner (Photos) / Olu Of Warri Not Dead, Only Indisposed - Palace / Sultan Of Sokoto: "There Is No Food In Nigeria"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.