Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,104 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:03 AM

OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely (20523 Views)

Niger Delta University Closed Indefinitely Over Protest / OAU-Ife Students Fetch Water From Stream (Pictures) / Man Beaten For Molesting OAU-Ife Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by rhymz(m): 7:13pm On Mar 11, 2011
femiti:

@rhymz, u obviously do not know about what has really be going on in ife.Nigeria is where it is 2day becos nigerians can not fight 4 their rights.THIS UNJUSTIFIABLE INCREMENT/ILLEGAL POLICY dat is currently on in IFE HAPPENS in most nigerian unis. imagine if every uni sug detest this illegal action.
. . . Bros the only time I went to a private school was in my primary school level, if you had bothered to read up on some of my posts you would ve realized that, my secondary school was St Finbarr's College, Akoka, if you are familiar with Unilag, you should the school, in my days, it was no private school. I just graduated from the Federal University of Technology, Owerri, so as you can see, I am your average Nigerian student. There is nothing that you can claim happens in OAU that is not reflective of every Nigerian University(both state and federal) , so dont even talk like OAU is a special case cos it aint. Infact, when I was still writing JAMB, OAU was my 1st choice twice, in 2003 & 2004 but for the senseless needless strikes, I prolly would ve been an alumni by now. However, with the benefit of hindsight, I have come to realize that all these strikes and needless protest are not helping matters, to even buttress my point, the so-called Faborode used to be an SUG member himself, he probably fought tenaciously too against policies they felt were not favourable to the students too. But here he is, in the other side of the divide being the protagonist of what he used to fight against, this shows you that most of the times, it is all politics and self ambition to all these SUG members. So it is folly joining them to complex the issues and get entagled in the process. Nobody says you cant protest but dont grab that as your first weapon of negotiation, you will only annoy the other side and make them strong headed to your demands. And if you must engage them, be smart with the way you go about it, dont keep bringing overflogged sentiments to pragmatic managers, they will never listen to arguments like "people are poor and all that" what makes you think they did not see that before jacking up the fees and sundry levies. As long we are leaving by the dictates of economics, policies like this one will always pop up at some point and their is limit to what anyone can do. It is not by speaking or writing uncoordinated grammer, Nigerian students and those of OAU need to show that they are capable of grasping issues in all its entirety and make reasonable conclusions. I am very certain a lot of the freshers that had already paid the new fees and acceptance fees would have wanted to just continue without all these hiccups, even my discerning comerad Arcani here agrees with me. Seriously, it would be a great waste of time, energy and moni if students are asked to resume with just little change or a change that will only gradually go back to the plan.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Odunharry(m): 11:47pm On Mar 11, 2011
u d guys shud better think of sometin better instead of rainin abuses on urself.
My question for evrybody here is wat can we do to solve d problem on ground and ways to prevent further strike actions by our university staff.because d strike is bcomin smtn else u guys can go to lasu and ask them hw far?by d time u spend 7 to 8yrs in skul for just a four programme then u l really undastand the effect the strike wil have on our students.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Cokerr(m): 3:06am On Mar 12, 2011
Rhymz or wateva is it u call ursef,i got wat i wanted outta u,now i see ow miserable ur IQ is,my poverty line of argument is reasonable because dats wat we facin in dis country,a country where selfish pple like u say rubbish and idiots reason wit u,u'r not d one affected,ow would u understand,yes,i'm foamin,yes,i'm spittin fire,yes,dere is anger in me cos ma mates are moving on wit their lives while others cant cos they just dont av rich parents or even average ones,i'm not gonna argue further wit ur unreasonable and unbelievable perspective,i'm just gonna sit don look at ow pple like keep draggin dis our beloved nation farther dis path of unspeakable and unimaginable corruption and oppression,if i'm right,u'r a graduate 2day but av u taken a minute 2 think dat thousands couldn't make it dat far not because dey weren't determined or brilliant but because of d stupid fees we pay in our unis,u'r not a graduate 2 me,u'r just another fool 4rm one of dese private universities who see education as a way of enriching their pockets,it is clear at dis point dat u'r not human enuf 2 understand ma 'POVERTY LINE OF ARGUMENT' but its d only fair line of argument cos d percentage of nigerians livin in it is heart breakin,i'm done wit u,cant continue tryin 2 make ur IQ less miserable,go 2 hell and pls,stay dere
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 6:56am On Mar 12, 2011
rhymz liv dem let dem enjoy dia house wela.dem stil dey strike.by d tym dey c dia mate gainfuly employd,earnin corect money,dey wud stil b fightin aluta.d dog dat wud get lost wil nt heed d whistle of d hunter. @ al oau undergraduates.stil dey enjoy hous,dey go club n pari.its ur tym 2 shine.yesterday n d day b4 yesterday sum undagrad tates n phd students convocatd in oau (dose r students to ni inu ro) its a pity many of u r in skul 4 aluta.smh
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by ugopeter(m): 8:21am On Mar 12, 2011
the rumour that we are resuming on monday is becoming stronger with each day and is refusing to die down.GOD pls help us resume soon
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Gaybriel: 8:56am On Mar 12, 2011
There's nothing great about OAU! Those who believe it is great are mediocres. How can you call a school who is not in the first 5000 in the world great. In fact, in Africa it was not among the first 50 yet the students are deceiving themselves by calling it great. Anyway, it shows what they believe to be great. Let me say this: greatness is not in what you drive but what drives you. Institutions do not make students great but students make institutions great. I even prefer to reckon with UI and Unilag due to their performances at the African ZAIN challenge to OAU. Can any OAU student beat his chest and say that their students are more intellectual and practically oriented than any student from other unis in Nigeria? If no, so where is the greatness. In fact all of you that have been shouting great, great and great i'm very sure you aren't a first class materials. If you are then your perspective should have been different. From my point of view, a nigerian school that can be the best in nigeria, west africa, africa and occupy and enviable position in the world should be call great. If not, we are just deceiving ourselves. I'm waiting for reply from the students of ife because i know many of them do not accept others good suggestions rather they will find fault with them. Check all the posts and you will see their response.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by whyx06(m): 9:19am On Mar 12, 2011
@everyone y did ppl think dat they can won if will dont stop dis act of injustics even heaven we not fall and stop it 4us. Also think of what 's happening in LADOKITE, y can student put down their face that common okada man defeat them @all, which such incidence cud not occur in GRATE IFE. if not for some ppl somehow, somewhere dat as fight 4d comin one. Also for a fellow Nigerian that say " I'M NOT D BEST " you sit on the wrong side of the fence. y can will all be considerate in all our doing, u think wil can win for ur right if will don't ACT to a TYRANT who doesn't want to no d average income for a common man even though you're rich, all hands are not equal. Lastly, to those that believes will are wastin our time at home "there's no late coma in Universities setup and life is not about how long rather how WELL",,
Aluta Continual, Victory must be surely ASCERTA !!!!!!
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Cokerr(m): 9:39am On Mar 12, 2011
Kuylie and Gaybriel,both of ya are just ridiculous,which kind stupid talk dat one be? Greatest ife students dont debate their greatness,they simply tell u d fact and u'll av a hard time wrappin ur brain around it cos u'r just not sound enuf 2 reason along,aluta against all oppressors,we dont get scared or intimidated,we carry ourselves along,we realise dat fingers aint equal,we dont do wats best 4 some but 4 all,we identify wit ourselves,we're ready pay dat steep price 2 fight any form of corruption,no matter wat it takes,we'll fight injustice 2 d very end,our mates will graduate,get good jobs,maybe b4 us but do ya'll think dats all dat matters?we're d future of dis country,d hope of dis great nation,Awolowo fought 4 free education till his last breadth,so will we. 2 answer ur question,wat makes us great?dat,dat makes us great. Like i always,education is not a priviledge,its our right. Enough is enough
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by whyx06(m): 9:47am On Mar 12, 2011
@Gabriel, I support your point of view as u early said but thing to your sense if Oau is not GRATE while can't you compared Unilag and Ui wit any other Nig unis. The reason that make u to choose Oau means dat there's truely something GRATE in them , Also can you hear a SAN Ganis dat say "if Oau want my body give it to them" y not any other sku . Bro let find some things else doin wit our precious time rather than makin any canterfit to GRATE IFE!!!
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by fbabs(m): 10:51am On Mar 12, 2011
Is dis wat u call greatness; 12 people in a room(angola&moz),abode of crazy men(awo hall),female students wit aristos(moremi hall),no drinkable water yet u sell out ur so called "Ozonized" table water,no good toilet facilities(awo hall).THE GREATEST OF ALL UNIs: --- UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS,AKOKA LAGOS.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by fbabs(m): 10:53am On Mar 12, 2011
Is dis wat u call greatness; 12 people in a room(angola&moz),abode of crazy men(awo hall),female students wit aristos(moremi hall),no drinkable water yet u sell out ur so called "Ozonized" table water,no good toilet facilities(awo hall).THE GREATEST OF ALL UNIs: --- UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS,AKOKA LAGOS.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by rhymz(m): 12:11pm On Mar 12, 2011
Who is the coker dude plaguing the thread with his utter lack of intellingence, what an ediooot! Yelling insults and threats like that helps you to cope with your below average I.Q. Basic education is everyone right of course but higher education is not basic and unfortunately too is not for everyone, that is the reality.
You are a disgrace to any institution you claim, there is no difference between you and the street urchins in ojuelegba. I ve got no time for intellectual midgets whom when faced with superior argument and logic resort to insults and threats, IFE seriously needs an overhaul if the school has degenerated to churning out nitwits and menacing miscreants like youself. No wonder Faborode closed down the school, who would not with brainless thugs like you as students who would rather settle simple disagreement by turning it into a brawl. Abeg pack wan corner siddon for ur gutter.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by lawrence83: 5:37pm On Mar 12, 2011
@rhymz. . . . .I totally agree with you. You Read between the lines, What is happening in Ife is just a case of power tussle between the SU and the School management. The truth is, these freshers have all paid the much talked about "acceptance fees" so i see no reason why the SU will agitate for three good days before the school management sent everybody home. Its disheartening to see your folks in the morning going to their various school while you sit at home doing nothing. you cant just start anything meaningful, Age is not on our side.
Knowing fully well that, there was no reason for the increment, but the deed has already bin done, and the freshers already paid the money. like play, we've spent more than two weeks at home and counting. Yes to some standard OAU is great but we shouldn't let this greatness becloud our sense of reasoning, the politics in the school is so clear, the school management just held so many events within the space of two weeks showing that they dont give a damn about the students and the SU couldn't do anything to stop those events . . .so what are we clamouring for?
@f.babs. . . . .all you've listed are plain truth but notwithstanding OAU still stand tall among other schools, which you know. Talking about unilag, what abt Jaja, sodeinde. . . atleast have past some nights there with some friends, the same deplorable state, dont let us turn this into a clash about how great our schools, peace
@great ife students, Let's find solution to our problem, let get back to school we re lagging behind in all ramifications, we re on the loosing side, it will be more painful if we resume school and no effects were made from this on-going strike.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by sonickay(m): 9:36pm On Mar 12, 2011
Greatest Ife Students, Pienelar d Clerk of d Parliament SUG has shed a green light on d way forward, click dis link to view his comment on allafrica forum- http://allafrica.com/stories/201103100821.html but dont blast or throw tantrums at d guy he is God fearing and i very much respect him.i still av somtins to discuss wit d generality of Nigerian Students. Thank U,
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by seyicash(m): 10:36pm On Mar 17, 2011
he global software giant, Microsoft, Tuesday, in Lagos announced opening of entries for the 2011 Imagine Cup students software competition for students in the tertiary institutions across the nation.
The Imagine Cup, according to Microsoft, invites students in Nigeria to learn, collaborate and change the world by applying their imagination, passion and creativity to technology innovations.
To lend students with inspiration for their Imagine Cup entries, Microsoft has also invited intergovernmental organizations (IGOs), non governmental organizations (NGOs), and non-profits for the first time to submit real problems for the students to consider for their projects, through a new program called Imagine Cup Solve.
Speaking to newsmen yesterday to unfold plans for this year’s competition, Dele Akinsade, Technology Lead, Microsoft Anglophone West Africa said that what begins with a burst of inspiration and a lot of hard work can become a future software breakthrough, a jump start for a career, or a flourishing new industry.
According to him, the software competition is opened to students in tertiary institution who can use their creative software products to solve the toughest world problems.
“These organizations recognize that technology solutions can expand the reach of their services and help them more effectively meet the needs of their audiences, while Microsoft can help provide a marketplace of ideas that students can select to address issues that matter most to them,” Ngozi Ife Anene, PR & Communications Lead for Microsoft Anglophone West Africa said.
For the Nigerian representatives at the world finals last year in Poland, it was a good exposure. “Representing Nigeria at the Imagine Cup finals in 2010 was a great experience”, Adeboye Oshinaga, member of Team Indwell, said, adding that, “Not only were we able to showcase our knowledge and use of innovative software, we were able to network with other students from around the world and learn more about software development from a global perspective. We plan to participate again this year and win the finals for Nigeria”.
Now in its ninth year, the Imagine Cup has grown to become the world’s premier student technology competition with more than 325,000 students representing 100 countries participating in last year’s event.
With a competition theme inspired by the United Nations Millennium Development Goals to “Imagine a world where technology helps solve the toughest problems,” the Imagine Cup spans one year, beginning with local, regional and online contests, before the Worldwide Finals take place in New York City, USA in July 2011.
In Nigeria, the local Imagine Cup will take place May 2011 and students, currently enrolled in tertiary institutions and between 17-26 years of age, are encouraged to register their entries in the main categories of: Software Design, Embedded Development, Game Design, Digital Media and Windows Phone 7.
It would be recalled that in 2010, the Nigeria Imagine Cup finals was won by Team Indwell, a team of three students from Obafemi Awolowo University.
The team represented Nigeria at the global finals which held in Warsaw, Poland in July 2010. To commend their efforts at the global finals, the team were presented with Windows 7 phones at a media briefing which held today at the Microsoft office in
The winning Imagine Cup team from Nigeria will have the opportunity to travel to the Worldwide Finals in New York, where they will join the brightest young minds to compete on the world stage.
Like the three students from Obafemi Awolowo University that represented Nigeria at the Worldwide Finals in Poland last year, the 2011 competitors will gain real life experience, make new friends, and harness the power of technology to take on the world’s toughest problems.
As an example of the type of real-world solutions the Imagine Cup judges are looking for, in 2010, the winning team at the Worldwide Finals from Thailand developed a project that would help the hearing-impaired communicate in the classroom.
this is just a few of the various and multitude of educated, intelligent and talented ppl aboding in OAU, dats wy it is called GREAT so beefers dont be annoyed cos it wud always be the best
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 11:06pm On Mar 28, 2011
@ gwas i chose nt 2 reply u coz most of ur posts where lackin in substance.which shows ur level of reasonin is almost synonymos 2 a chicken.so agresiv,lousy,crude n vewy nasty.gosh.i repeat again U SUCK! U tink ure an embodiment of knowledge unfortunatly fools lyk u tink dey knw it al only 4 dem 2 expose dia foly n b disgraced.low lifer.smh
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by ibio: 4:33pm On Apr 01, 2011
are we going to reumes april 28(when will the matric come up)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Post Utme Result And Admission List Of Rufus Giwa Poly Owo / Samuel Ogunlana: Crawford University Best Graduating Student Speaks / ASUU To Hold Emergency Meeting On Thursday. Strike To Be Likely Called Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.